Want an Apple TV? Tune In Next Month

Anybody looking to try out the Apple TV media receiver--the wireless gadget from Apple designed to bring your digital music, photos and videos to your television--will have to wait a little longer.

Although the company had said this $299 device would ship in February, spokeswoman Teresa Brewer confirmed reports of a delay. She wrote in an e-mail that "wrapping up Apple TV is taking a few weeks longer than we projected, and we now expect to begin shipments mid-March."

Here's the interesting thing about this delay: It means that after all the splashy product introductions at January's Macworld Expo show , the company will have shipped only one new product , the AirPort Extreme wireless router, in the two months since then. That's a major turnaround from Apple's recent history of rushing high-profile items like the iPod shuffle, the Intel-based iMac and the iLife multimedia suite into stores within weeks--or sometimes minutes--of their unveiling on stage in San Francisco's Moscone Center.

By Rob Pegoraro  |  February 26, 2007; 5:02 PM ET
Categories:  Mac
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reminder: Microsoft Is Not Evil
Next: Tech-Support Travails

Comments

But Rob, you're forgetting the recent roll out of iPod Shuffles in rainbow colors!

Posted by: Kimosabe | February 27, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I love the idea of Apple TV--with one exception. It doesn't seem like Apple will be renting movies and TV shows. And I'm not sure that makes sense. First, most people probably won't have the storage space for all the movies and TV shows they might want to watch. Second, they may not want to watch something more than once. It is obviously very different from music, but the model proposed by Apple does not seem to get that.

Compared to the other download offerings, be it cable or websites, Apple TV seems to have the potential to be as good or better, but in my view only if they embrace the rental model...

Any word on that from anyone?

Posted by: Peter | February 27, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

ha dont be fooled every one is ready for movies I am a low end user and I have a nas T-Bite raid ready for more movies apple really know whats about to happen pay attantion

Posted by: applegate | February 27, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

The funny thing is, 3 YEARS AGO, Gateway debuted their ADC-320 Connected DVD player. This unit streams pictures, mp3's, AVI, MPG and WMV files to your TV, as well as having component level outputs and very high quality video. Brand new for only $120 apiece! They can work wirelessly, or wired on your network. It came with a little server package that streamed the video from your windows computer to the DVD player. I have ripped all of my daughter's DVD's, and our collection of Muppet Shows onto my computer, and my daughter simply selects what she wants to watch, and it streams easily across my network. Has for 3 years now. I no longer have to worry about her destroying the DVD's we have bought, because they can stay safe on the shelf where her (then 2 year old) hands won't break/scratch/destroy them. You can still get these on eBay for about $50 each, which means you can buy SIX for the cost of one Apple TV unit, and they come with a DVD player built in!

Posted by: Fred Evil | February 27, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

There are a few unanswered questions. Will I be able to hook up the system to interface with my cable service or will I be adding another remote control to the mix? Also how about the interface with surround sound? It sounds like a cool system and my Gateway home media system just took a powder. I hope that there will be good news about the questions. I am a ready consumer.

Posted by: El Tocino | February 27, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I think APPLE is losing their path once again (as what happened in the 90s). 1st the iPHONE and now iTV.....I really don't see what Market apple is going for as these are expensive toys of which there are better products already out there that do the same thing (or have been for years), and are cheaper or more functional. And given Apple's nature to be proprietary and not very compatible with stuff not made by them. I sense a coming Fiasco

Want pictures, Music, movies on your TV from your computer...I can think of something that already does that....its called an XBOX 360....or a TIVO...or even a PS3....or a PS2 with Gameshark Media Player....or old XBOX or a MediaPC....or Windows Media Center....or WINDOWS VISTA PREMIUM.....or the new improved SLINGBOX.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | February 27, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

GoonieGooGoo:

"I really don't see what Market apple is going for as these are expensive toys of which there are better products already out there that do the same thing (or have been for years)..."

Psaw..Sounds like the naysayers describing the first iPod back in 2001.

Dude, we'll see in a year who's losing their path shall we? Sure there are other devices doing similar things on the market to the AppleTV and iPhone (well - as far as we know, since they haven't been released yet no-one really knows for sure) but since they nearly all have a level of geeky-complexity that doesn't really make them market gotta-haves, you may be speaking too soon.

This Apple isn't the same as the mid-90's Apple, it's a very focused and savvy company who surely have investigated the competition a little more thoroughly than you or I.

Anyway, sounds just a little like some Apple-hate seeping out of your pores in your post. Thing is - you just know in your gut the iPhone is going to be a phenomenal seller and you hate that! :-)

Posted by: mod | February 28, 2007 7:08 AM | Report abuse