MASN on Dish? Maybe...

Today's story about the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network's broadcast schedule for Nationals and Orioles spring-training games may be annoying reading for sports fans who get their TV from the MASN-deprived Dish Network.

(Disclosure: As a Nats fan, a Georgetown grad and a Dish customer -- well, it's still cheaper than my alternatives -- I'm one of those annoyed sports fans.)

So I asked Dish PR if the company planned to join competing TV providers and add MASN to its lineup.

Spokesman Kevin Hubbard called back to say that Dish is, in fact, negotiating with MASN over carriage rights and wanted to make a deal happen, but had not yet. "They have been in discussion with them, they're just trying to find a happy middle ground," he said. "The guys here definitely signaled that it's a pretty hot topic."

Sounds like this might be an opportune time for baseball-starved Dish customers to remind the company of their views...

By Rob Pegoraro  |  February 9, 2007; 3:14 PM ET
Categories:  Video
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vista's "Reduced Functionality"
Next: Monday Morning Mailbag

Comments

Nats and Orioles? What about the 8 billion NY Yankee fans who can't watch the Yanks because Dish won't carry the YES Network?

Posted by: paul govang | February 9, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

That's not fair either. You all missed some really great games last year...

- RP

Posted by: Rob Pegoraro | February 9, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Good one (or 2) Rob. This is DC.
BTW - I love New York, it's New Yorkers esp. Yankee fans that I hate.

Posted by: Nats Fan | February 9, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Excellent comeback Rob. Maybe Pegoraro and Svrluga can be the new Kornheiser and Wilbon.

Posted by: Cosmo | February 9, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey Rob, you gotta move to FiOS... it rocks!

Posted by: ElmoL | February 9, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Having MASN on Dish would be great. I've been a Dish subscriber for probably 8 or 9 years and would love to have the NATS. Its too bad DirecTV still has an exclusive on the NFL Sunday ticket, I'm a Giants fan

Posted by: Dan | February 13, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I talked to MASN a few weeks ago, and was told that there will not be a contract with DISH this season. I have been a Dish subscriber since 2000. I am moving next week, and will be having DirecTV installed.

Posted by: Marlene | February 21, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse