Michael Dell, Linux User

The tech-news site Slashdot pointed early yesterday to a page on Dell's site listing the computers that Michael Dell uses at home, at work and on the road. As you'd expect, the Dell founder and chief executive uses high-end Dell machines that have been suped up with every available upgrade.

But as you might not expect, the page showed one of his laptops ran Linux--the just-released 7.04 edition of Ubuntu, the distribution that I reviewed favorably last summer.

Perhaps more surprising, the page didn't list any machines running Windows Vista; the other four computers all had various versions of XP instead.

I e-mailed a Dell publicist to confirm that, but she replied that she saw Vista Ultimate, not XP, listed for those machines. I checked back, and the page had indeed been updated sometime during the middle of the day. It now shows every machine but that Linux laptop runs Ultimate, the most expensive Vista edition sold.

The original version of the page also listed Michael Dell's "accessories," the peripherals and other noteworthy electronic gadgets that he uses with his computers. Three of the five items cited there--the Dell W5001C plasma TV, a Dell Axim handheld organizerand a Dell Pocket DJ music player--represented categories of products that Dell no longer makes. But that section vanished in whatever edit which also removed mentions of Windows XP.

In other news, Dell, the human being, may think XP is dead, but Dell, the corporation, is no longer so sure. It's now allowing home users to choose XP instead of Vista on some Dimension desktops and Inspiron laptops.

By Rob Pegoraro  |  April 20, 2007; 9:13 AM ET
Categories:  The business we have chosen
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Wireless World Widens
Next: E-cycle Your E-Junk

Comments

The page still shows the Dell Precision M90 Laptop that use Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn, checked at 9:31am GMT - 5:00

Posted by: Fabricio | April 20, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Opensuse 10.2 just works on my Dell Dimension 8400 no problems on installation only if one has a NEC DVD Drive, other than that, is A-OK.

Posted by: Will | April 20, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I have been using Ubuntu for several years. I have kept one computer with xp pro mostly for ms money. All my other computers run ubuntu. FREE, EXCELLENT, and NO PROBLEMS.... I even have it on a Dell given to me because the bios was dead. I am using the Ubuntu Multimedia edition with it's own bios. Works fine.

Posted by: Tim | April 21, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

PS: I will never install Vista on anything I own. My computer, My programs, My private business. And I understand once you install Vista (spyware) OS on a computer you can not remove it. Microsoft even tried to get me to install their spyware for XP under the cover of Genuine Advantage on my XP machine. NO NO NO. I'm not letting Microsoft report all my usage to anyone who wants it or hacks into their system.

Posted by: Tim | April 21, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I´m running Open Suse 10.2 in my Dell Latitude 620 wich Vista rated at 2. It has Core Duo T5600, 1GB Ram, 256mb dedicated video. Installed Vista Ultimate RTM back in November and stayed in my system 48hrs. Unable to handle that POC.

Posted by: Tech Support | April 22, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Running PCLOS right now (my own build)...added nvidia drivers and everything works. Giddyup

Posted by: Patriot | April 22, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Windows the captive OS has such a stranglehold on users, that it overtakes the ingenuity of users making them look like 'dumbOS'

Posted by: Praveen P.P. | April 24, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Praveen P.P. | April 24, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I have Ubuntu/Kubuntu on all my machines but have XP on a second disk of one for those apps I can't get to work with Crossover. How I wish I could go back to Windows 2000 on that one, but no longer have the installation disks. XP won't let itself be used to install an older version. I look forward to the day I can run all apps with Linux!

Posted by: John D. Tiedeman | April 25, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Been using kubuntu on my desktop since version 5.10 "Breezy" and xubuntu since 6.06 "Dapper" with your occasional problems no different then with other operating system. I have to admit that 7.04 "Feisty" is the easiest upgrade I have ever done.

Sometime this week I am going to set up a DVR with MythTV most likely using ubuntu since the community support at ubuntuforums.org is very good.

Posted by: Mario Di Nicola Jr. | April 25, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse