How Many E-Mail Addresses Do You Need?

Since Web-mail seems to be such a hot topic, I thought I'd broaden the discussion a little bit. I'll start with the question one reader asked in a comment on yesterday's post:

Why don't you use a web-based mail service for personal mail? What do you use, your ISP's mail? I find that clunky because it involves notifying everyone whenever you decide to on a whim change your ISP. Do tell the facts and motivation here.

If only I could get by with just one personal e-mail address! Instead, I have mail coming to seven (7!) addresses on a more-or-less daily basis:

* Two work addresses: robp at washpost.com, and the old, now-retired rob at twp.com
* Three personal addresses: one with my Internet provider, a second at a domain name I registered a while back and a third, an alumni account from Georgetown.
* Two Web-mail accounts, Gmail and Yahoo.

Now here's how I manage to stay (more or less) sane while checking all of these . First, I only use one work address in public (we're going to close the twp.com account soon anyway). And mail sent to either address lands in the same inbox.

At home, all three of those addresses also land in a single inbox, and for most non-work correspondence I'll just hand out my ISP address. Friends and family get the personal domain-name account--that's the "lifetime" address--and I use the Georgetown address for the alumni directory. This way, the address most vulnerable to collecting a large amount of spam, by virtue of being the most widely circulated, is also the easiest one to walk away from.

For the same overall reason, I reserve most commercial correspondence for the Web-mail accounts. The stuff that I value--for example, schedule updates and frequent-flyer notices from airlines, newsletters from local restaurants and stores--goes to the Gmail account. (So I don't care what ads Gmail displays alongside them; it's not as if Google's computers can figure out the salacious details of my life that way.) I use the Yahoo account for the rest--for example, when some site insists on an e-mail address before I can read something there.

(There are a few other accounts out there that I keep around only for test purposes--my addresses at Hotmail and AOL, for example--but they're not part of my day-to-day use.)

So there you have it. How many addresses do you check every day? How about over a week?

By Rob Pegoraro  |  May 8, 2007; 1:58 PM ET
Categories:  The Web
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hotmail Web-Mail Beta Test Ending
Next: Dell's History at Home in D.C.

Comments

1. @yahoo.com - I've used this one since the 90s. Their application is good (which makes me want to use it), and it's most convenient to use for everything official. Most importantly spam filtering is good.

2. 2 x @google.com - One I use a lot for online anonymous needs. The other I barely use, except for other anonymous needs.

3. 1 x hotmail.com - My Original anonymous account, but hotmail's application sucks so much I barely use it.

4. 1 x IPS email address. I don't use it for much of anything, except when you need to register with a non-free-web-based account.

5. n x personaldomain.com. But I barely use these because I don't like to deal with mail administration.

6. work address - ONLY for work things.
----------------
When all is said and done, I use @yahoo.com and @gmail.com daily.

I think it's important to have anonymous email addresses, but you have to guard them and never associate them with your real name, otherwise you're anonymous no longer.

Posted by: great topic | May 8, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Aside from my work Email, I have two personal accounts: a Gmail account for "real" people, and a NetScape => AIM mail "spam-catcher" account for mailing lists and such.

I finally gave up on using ISP accounts after about six providers (3+ dialup, cable, FiOS, Openband); they may be getting mail, but I *never* check them, and while I have a Yahoo! account for groups such as Freecycle, I did not activate their Email.

Posted by: Charles | May 8, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I check four accounts daily and hate it. I opened a gmail account, assuming it would check my online accounts (e.g. Yahoo!) but gmail cannot receive those accounts. Bummer. I agree that you need a separate email for online ordering and non-personal business, but it is a pain. My college has given me an .edu account, which I don't remember to check very much. I even hold a separate email account for my half.com selling/buying of textbooks -- It is a pain to check each of them. It would be fantastic if my ISP account would receive my emails from all accounts, and I could still reply from those other accounts. If this is possible, could you please walk us through the procedure?
Thanks.

Posted by: rjrjj | May 8, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I have...five total, I think.

1. 1 @yahoo Used for memberships to sites
2. 2 @ gmail, one for regular correspondence that I check every few hours and one that I check about once a day that has things like my submissions (I'm a freelance writer). The one I give out to my friends and family is the first of these.
3. 1 @ my ISP, for things related to my apartment as my roomie and I share this one -- so things like the Netflix account that we share and the ISP's emails get this one, although anything to that gets fwded to my "professional" gmail one.
1. My work email, used only for work and emergencies that can't wait until I get home (i.e., roomie is taking off early to go home sick, so don't be freaked if things are a mess when I get home, or can I give said roomie a lift home). The only people outside of work who may use this are those people who might NEED to get a hold of me FAST and can't get through on the phone for whatever reason (same goes for my work phone number, actually).

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

1. work (work only). I get about one spam message a day to this account. Not bad.
2. Yahoo - I've been using it basically since it opened and will probably use it in perpetuity. Yeah, it gets some spam, but it is mostly manageable - maybe 5 messages a day get past the filter. I now pay for the service.
3. gmail - I opened it on a whim and almost never use it. I just forward the stuff back over to Yahoo. It has become my defacto backup address for work stuff.
4. I think I have one through my provider, but I don't use it.

I started using the Yahoo account for the following reason:
* it was free

Soon I started using it as my primary address for the following reasons:
* I use multiple PCs and web access didn't exist until the late 90s and didn't become ubiquitous until much later.
* I was switching providers semi-regularly
* the address was easy to remember

This decision turned out great when I started traveling for work. Before that I would have to telnet into a system and read it using some UNIX command line reader. This is much better. The only thing I have had to worry about is foreign keyboard layouts.

Posted by: slar | May 8, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

1. My ISP (Comcast) offers 7 addresses (six of which can be changed on a whim). 2 go to daughter & son-in-law who live in the house. Master address is not used at all, since if it starts attracting spam, only Comcast can change it. So now there are four left: (a) Personal address, (b) Billing Accounts (credit cards, banks, etc), (c) Online Purchases, (d) Other online.

2. Dot-Mac - Again, There is the primary plus five aliases. I restrict the primary for personal e-mail, and use another one for personal with people who I can't trust to not send jokes and chain letters, etc. I am now using one other for online purchases and the others for various online uses. If the aliases start attracting spam, they can be deleted and changed on a whim. Lately, I've been evolving to Dot-Mac since it's ISP-independent. (If Verizon gets FiOS in my neighborhood for a competitive price and I desire to switch, it won't be a massive e-mail switch)

3. 1 @ yahoo - this was the first account I got specifically for online purchases when my previous isp account started growing spam. The spam at yahoo isn't really that bad. Almost all e-mail I get there is online newsletters/advertising (not spam).

4. 1 @ google. this is still experimental.

Finally - I have the multiple online purchase addresses to help determine where the spam originates. Lately I found it doesn't really start with online purchases. I would say that you have more chance of getting spam by posting your e-mail address on a website, either your own or on a newsgroup or blog. Since I started with Comcast in 2003, I've only had to change one of the e-mail addresses, and only once, and currently I get no spam there. Only one of the Dot Mac addresses gets spam, and that's the one I created as an alternate for my work e-mail (for when I can't access the work network) so I guess someone at work (most likely with a windows OS) has a virus-infected e-mail address book.

In conclusion, If you get multiple addresses with an account, if you can afford it, NEVER use the master account login address for ANYTHING. Stick to the others that you can change on a whim, and don't get too attached to them. Changing the master requires more drastic changes to your account.

Posted by: snaab4 | May 8, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Re: "It would be fantastic if my ISP account would receive my emails from all accounts, and I could still reply from those other accounts."

I don't know about your ISP account doing this, but I have been doing this with gmail for a while now. I set up all of my other email accounts to forward mail to my gmail account. Depending on the provider, you may or may not have the option of keeping a backup copy on their server. Then I went to the "Accounts" tab under gmail's "Settings" screen and added all the other accounts. Gmail will let you select which account is your default address, and will give you the option to either reply from the address to which a message was sent or from the default account. I've found that it works really well, and I only have to check one place for my email! If you want to get even fancier, you can set up labels to sort based on which account is coming in. For example, I set up a filter that automatically labels any mail sent to my school address (which I may not want to have front and center in my inbox every day) as School and then archive them. This way when I am ready to look at this stuff, I can simply go into that label and they are there, but out of the way.

Hope this helps!

Posted by: J | May 8, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

2 gmail accounts--one with my real name (when job searching). This one lets me track correspondence by sender/recruiter. Second is anonymous and gets distributed for junk mail, lists, etc.

2 yahoo accounts--these my original accounts, one anon, one with my real name. Both were supposed to serve the same purpose as gmail, but I like gmail's tracking better. Yahoo sucks at filtering out my spam and I got sick of seeing spam in my inbox.

I just closed my hotmail account because it was the worst--spam, not user friendly

The hardest part about having four accounts is remember which account I used to register for subscriptions, logins, etc. I always register for sweepstakes etc using my cats' names, so in addition to an anonymous email account, I can see who sold my info based on how spam is personalized. Having multiple identities is difficult, but also amusing.

Posted by: Identity Crisis | May 8, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Let's see:

1. @isp--oldest and most used
2. @gmail--used mostly for purchases
3. @yahoo--for group Listservs, never for mailing, but once used for IM'ing
4. @mac.com--because it comes with online storage and other stuff
5. @work--for work
6. @work's isp--it was free. Rarely used but for diverting spam
7. @hotmail--anonymous account

I thinks that's all of them. Every account that can be accessed through Apple Mail is checked regularly. Those that can't (Yahoo and hotmail) are spot checked mostly to keep them active. I've had my Yahoo account nearly canceled once for lack of activity.

Posted by: Kimosabe | May 8, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why people change their email addresses so often. If you use good privacy software that comes with anti-spam, anti-phishing, and anti-pharming software, like Anonymous Surfing from Anonymizer.com, then you don't have to do change so often. It's so annoying emailing people you emailed a month before and having it bounce back.

Posted by: JimmyJackFunk21 | May 8, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

1) work account (tied to Berry)

2) a couple of Yahoo accounts from pre-Gmail era; one pseudonymous, one for general use

3) two Gmail accounts; as above, one anon & one I use more freely

4) A comped account at my old local ISP; rarely used

I have a number of personal domains, and whenever I need a disposable address -- say, to buy something online -- I take 2 mins to set up a new, distinctively named one with my registrar (e.g., buydotcom@mydomain.org). I generally have these addrs forward all traffic to Yahoo account #2 (easy web access) plus my work account (Berry access).

If any vendor/conference attendee/whoever starts spamming me, I terminate that address with extreme prejudice.

Posted by: nobody notable | May 8, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

At least 7:
1 gmail for high-volume email lists
2 yahoo for various anonymous things
2 ISP-provided: one is my former primary acct and 1 I use only for grad school
1 alumni which has turned into my primary account
1 work

Gmail and yahoo get checked manually; all the rest get checked by Eudora automagically and go into an elaborate hierarchy of fliters and folders. Work goes into Outlook.

Posted by: Del Mar, CA | May 8, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

1 from my ISP, which I hardly use and have forwarded to...
1 anonymous gmail for business stuff and mass mailing stuff
1 .edu from my alma-mater, which I have to use now that I'm taking web-based grad classes, but I also have that forwarded to...
1 name-based gmail for work and school stuff and a few close friends.
I keep IE logged into one gmail acct and Firefox to the other, so I can check both easily.

Posted by: K in KY | May 8, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I have 3 @gmail, 2 @yahoo, and my work address.

The first gmail one is my primary address. All personal stuff comes here, as well as one-off e-mail items like flight itineraries. The second gmail is in preparation for an e-mail name change, so right now everything from the first gets forwarded to the second, but other than that I don't use it yet. The third is a joint account for myself and my husband, set up for sending out wedding-related messages. Everything from that account gets forwarded to each of our respective primary accounts.

The yahoo accounts are my spam attractors -- mailing lists, daily feeds, receipts from online purchases, etc. I guess it's actually just one account, with an alias (also from the name change).

Work is only for work. If family/friends e-mail me there, I gently redirect them to my personal gmail account.

I've noticed something interesting, though. used to get tons of spam to my yahoo account, which was my primary account a few years ago before I got hooked into gmail. Now, I VERY seldomly get spam there, in any box.... but in gmail, which I use quite actively, I'll commonly have 15 or 20 spam messages appear overnight (all in the junk box, luckily). I've come to believe that the spam attraction is more from *sending* messages than receiving them.

Posted by: lsho | May 9, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

3 accounts.

Gmail (Can you guess the username? ;) ) is used the most as they have good spam filtering.

@ISP is given out to family and close friends. I use a whitelist on it, plus other spam filtering on botyh client and server ends.

@work, used only for work stuff.

Posted by: wiredog | May 9, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I have more email addresses than I can remember.

2 on a mail server a friend runs
1 Gmail
2 yahoo
1 ISP
3 work (one internal network only)
1 alumni address
5-10 addresses that simply forward to my gmail address.

So, anywhere from 15-20 email addresses will reach me on a given day. Eesh.

Posted by: srsmith | May 9, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

One question, though, as I've just started having multiple accounts come into Outlook--how to you control your return email? In other words....if you receive an email through address B, does Outlook reply from address B or address A?

I'm in the process of switching ISPs (I've been with Toad for almost 8 years, but they sold it to another company that's awful....), so I've got the address that matches my website which will be my primary (at least for awhile) as well as my current primary coming into Outlook. I have gmail, but haven't gotten into the groove of using it as often.

Posted by: Annapolis | May 9, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I keep a few blogs on different topics, and I find that it's handy for me to keep a separate email address pertaining to each blog. Since I obviously cannot blog while I'm working, as topics arise, I email them to myself at the blog address, so that when I go into the email account later, I will see tips on topics to address. It's also the address I put on the blog where people can contact me, so that everything dealing with that blog is in one place. Gmail is the best for this, because I can always use the search function to pull up old emails quickly.

Posted by: Multiple emails for blogging | May 9, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

1 @ yahoo for personal (it's nice to have an e-mail address that never changes)
1 @ work for work
1 @ excite for *ahem* adult content
1 @ isp which I never check

Posted by: sdc | May 9, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I have way too many. Three yahoo and counterparts on hotmail. One I use for lists that I read only, one for some personal mail and lists that I respond to, one with a "title" (I teach game design so I have one that reflects that). Each migrated over from hotmail which had the nasty habit of selling mail lists so you got Instant Spam; someday I'll phase out the hotmail. No gmail yet.

I have two with my ISP, one for the bulk of my mail and one for ebay selling (99% spam).

I have my own domain with three active address. It's a computer repair business and I have addresses to reflect different parts of the business. Eventually I'll migrate all my personal mail to this, just because I'm not a big webmail fan. I add "temporary" addresses to this as well when I have a need. For instance, I was a point of contact for some scout functions so I set up a scouting@ mail. Ditto for my game class and some other classes I've taught.

When I'm home, all of the pop accounts go directly to thunderbird. When I'm on the road I have a little program I wrote that checks ALL of my accounts and tells me how many messages I have on each so I know which I need to look at. I also wrote a quicky script that sits on a server and can dump the first couple of lines of each message and let me read or delete any or all of them.

Oh.... I also have a corporate e-mail from a company I do irregular software work for.

So let's see... yahoo + hotmail + isp + ...

Yep. Way too many.

Posted by: fil | May 9, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I have 14 email accounts which are all checked by my Outlook. These include multiple gmail accounts, yahoo, AOL, Multiple ISP, accounts, and multiple personal domain accounts.

I use AOL for all on-line purchases and business transactions. I have my personal domain accounts running through a "filtering service" that catches all spam.

Posted by: av8or | May 9, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I've consolidated... I have 1 for work only, and a gmail account for personal.

All old addresses forward to gmail, where the spam filtering is great. I have throwaway addressses for registering at websites, but gmail's filtering is so goo I don't bother with them anymore. (I can also use the name+suffix@gmail.com trick to know where people got my address.)

Posted by: Pat | May 9, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Well, my first email address was on a friend's server - even before Netscape was invented. Unfortunately it had emacs as an editor and since I'm not a programmer, the interface was a bit cumbersome, just to edit a message. I finally broke down and got a Yahoo email when I needed to start attaching MS files, and everyone started creating these html encoded emails. So now I'm up to two at this point. Add in my discovery of cragslist casual encounters section, and I need a third anonymous email for "friendly" chat without some stalker hunting me down based on my email address or the accidental slip of which state I live in. Three. Add work, and I'm up to four now.

If you really want to tax people's brains, make them count all the sites they have to remember a password and how many different passwords they know, not including PIN numbers for credit cards or ATMs.

Posted by: naughty & nice | May 9, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I have in excess of 20 email addresses. I'm very compartmentalized as far as email goes.

Posted by: Paul | May 9, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Man, am I the only person left who only has 2 email addresses, work and personal (Gmail)? Gmail's spam filtering and label/archive systems are really good, and I have no need for anything else. I use the Gmail for all personal correspondence, online shopping, mailing lists, etc., and get maybe 1 spam message per month that isn't caught by the filter, if that. My Gmail is firstname.lastname, so I use it for official correspondence/job-hunting as well. Maybe I'm missing something, but checking 10 email addresses a day seems like quite a hassle to me.

Posted by: Stefanie | May 9, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I only use 1 e-mail address -- my gmail address. I forward my work e-mail to my gmail account. Who needs more? Gmail does a great job of filtering out spam and I am able to easily label and organize incoming and outgoing mail. And no, I am not employed by Google. I just think gmail does a great job.

Posted by: Bill | May 9, 2007 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Like others, I'm mystified by the need for all these addresses. I think it would tax my cognitive resources to remember which one to use for a given purpose.

I have a work account. For everything else, I use AOL webmail. That was my first non-work account years ago, and I've never seen a need to change it. Spam filtering is fine. (That wasn't always true, but it has been for a loooooong time.)

I know that many people regard AOL as a system for the technologically backward, but I don't know what I'd want in an email program that it doesn't provide. If they hadn't made it available for free, I'd have switched to the account available through my ISP or a gmail account, but it's been easier for me to keep the same address than to change.

Posted by: THS | May 10, 2007 7:47 AM | Report abuse

1 Fastmail account. My main (non-work) account. IMAP totally rules the day here. Great compatibility with my Treo 600 (running Chatteremail) I love the server-side filtering into various folders based on sender, subject, and even e-mail size (for my brother-in-law who sends great, but large video attachments that I don't want to bother even knowing about while at work).

1 Yahoo account. My original "after college" e-mail address. Now gathering e-mails from lists that I sometimes read, but don't get overly excited about. Also get e-mail from a few friends who refuse to listen to my request to stop sending me those "FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE" type things. I haven't told these people that I only check Yahoo once in a while (maybe 1 or 2 times a day). They don't even know about the Fastmail account which is constantly monitored.

1 Google account. I started a blog on Google's Blogger, so figured I'd funnel relavent e-mail to a Google account. Most is forwarded to Fastmail though.

1 work account, for work only. My friends don't even know the address.

I own a few domain names (family pictures kind of thing), and occasionally think of setting up e-mails with them, but I'm so happy with Fastmail that I figure it's not really worth it. If I really want to, I can get Fastmail's enhanced account, and use the domain names to send e-mail to Fastmail.

Posted by: Louis | May 10, 2007 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Rob: Now that we've seen recommendations on HOW MANY accounts. Could we get a refresher on how to get them all delivered to the same place so they can be easily managed through Outlook without compromising your other addresses to the wrong people?

Posted by: RELEE | May 10, 2007 7:59 AM | Report abuse

OK, sounds like I've got a Help File topic here--how do you get multiple addresses to show up in one inbox?

The short answer is that you set these different addresses to forward to another account--for instance, mail sent to rob@twp.com automatically forwards to my washpost.com account, as is the case with mail sent to my georgetown.edu and personal domain-name addresses.

I have to do that with all these accounts, since they all run on IMAP (Internet Mail Access Protocol). If you're using only Post Office Protocol accounts--a more widely used, but less useful system than IMAP--you don't even need to do that. Simply adding each new account's server settings to your mail client--Eudora, Thunderbird, Outlook Express, Mail for OS X--will suffice to download your messages to your inbox folder.

And in all of these cases--POP, IMAP, auto-forwarding--your mail client should be smart enough to reply from the same address that a message was sent to. The only exception would be if you set a different reply-to address in your mail program's options screen.

That help? If anything's not clear, post your questions in this thread so I can refine whatever I write up for Help File.

- RP

Posted by: Rob Pegoraro | May 10, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I get by with 3:
-@ISP - for friends & family only; I have the highest spamblocking set and can get through my email rather quickly
-@hotmail - this is the email I give for subscriptions and when my email address is needed. Again, highest spamblock set. Takes a litle while longer to wade through.
I read both of these accounts, plus news feeds, in Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta, a big improvement over Outlook Express - it has a clean look and many features of Outlook that I've used at work.
-@WORK - Access from my desk via Entourage, or over the 'net in Safari or IE (depending on platform) at work or via Citrix from home.

Posted by: FP | May 10, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I have five email addresses. At the moment I am having a terrible time with Centurytel.net, which went through a major 'enhancement' on April 28th. Many of its subscribers are having enormous problems due to this 'enhancement!' I'm one of them. I have the multiple addresses for the usual reasons. My primary address is for friends, people I know. My second address is to receive mail from between 150 and 200 email groups that send messages. That one gets an average of 750 emails on a
normal day. Occasionally that can double.
Mostly there are fewer on weekends there, but it can surprise you. I have three more
addresses, some of which I lend to friends
with wifi access, who need an earthbound address. My primary attracts spam because I've had to give the address out during e-commerce transactions. The second one draws no spam. One secret to eliminating spam is to make your "handle" ahead of the
ampersand, a combination of letters and numbers. If you don't, if you use a variation on your short name, a program can be and is used to figure out your "handle"
and send spam over it.

Posted by: Mike Rice | May 10, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

This is no a comment on multi-email addresses, but rather a computer matter that I believe merits attention:

Tuesday night the Microsoft Updates I had attempted to stop from downloading for the nearly one year I had been trying to prevent them, downloaded anyway. It interrupted a DVD I was burning and turned it into a nice coaster. I thought, well, something went wrong with my attempt to prevent the downloading. Then, this morning I learned that a friend of mine in nearby La Crosse - I live in Sparta, Wisconsin- had the same thing happen to one of her laptops at roughly the same time. Microsoft has been pushing these updates on all its users, even those who have sought alternative means of guarding and administrating their computers themselves. I have firewalls, Firefox, AVG anti-virii and anti-spyware programs, and Spyware Doctor operating on that machine. I didn't want the trouble that comes with the updates. But now I have it on one machine against my will. My friend in not only has the updates, she now has trouble with the machine that received them. I think you should look into reporting on
the possibility that MS took the ultimate Big Brother step, against the interests of its more reluctant users.

Thanks.

Posted by: Mike Rice | May 10, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

One business email.

280 (yes, two hundred and eighty) Zoemail addresses. I create a new one for every web site requesting an email address. If anyone spams me at the zoemail address, I just shut if off.

One webmail: gmail

Three personal including one ISP, one lifetime (.name) and one college alumni address. I redirect the lifetime and college mail to a zoemail address.

I can monitor all the accounts with MailWasher, but I also use Outlook to store email locally with POP and IMAP for Zoemail.

Posted by: ams | May 10, 2007 11:59 PM | Report abuse

ummmmmm..............4, i think !
1. office
2. old hotmail
3. yahoo (for subscriptions, groups etc)
4. i love gmail.

Posted by: Sudeep | May 11, 2007 2:08 AM | Report abuse

1. 3 at yahoo 1 family, 1 gaming, 1 for spamish stuff

2. 2 at hotmail one is old, one is my main email

3. 1 at gmail most things i dont trust hotmail with like pictures

4. 1 at a website i forgot because i was bored

5. 1 at aol for AIM purposes

6. 1 on my home server for messing around

7. 1 at school

Posted by: Lucas | May 11, 2007 11:09 PM | Report abuse

It's simple-- if you can remember most of your Email addresses then you don't have enough!!

Posted by: Mike | May 12, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I have 4 email addresses: work (intranet); volunteer work; mac.com and my ISP.

At mac.com, I use 3 aliases for shopping, newsletters and expressing a personal opinion. This email address is also used for personal business. I started the aliases to contain spam. So far, it's working well. It's very interesting to see whose email server is open to spammers.

My ISP email address is used for friends and family. The ISP does an excellent job filtering spam. Mac, less so, but my iMail has a bounce back feature which I love.

I use psuedonyms, too!

Posted by: Emily Booth | May 14, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Hi all i am facing a problem.when a mail has been sent through the outlook,the mail will be delivered to the user whom i have sent and the mail is again bouncing back to my inbox
stating Delivery failure Notification.
when i myself tried resending it to me its reaching me with the same failure notice. if anybody knows the suggestion please suggest me

Posted by: panni | May 18, 2007 6:31 AM | Report abuse