iPhone First Impressions

Now that I've had some time to start trying out the review iPhone Apple is loaning me, here are some initial thoughts about it as I work on the review that will run in the paper next week.

* Unlike other cellphones, you can buy an iPhone without knowing what plan you want. All of your account setup happens within iTunes, from entering your name and address (and Social Security Number, which AT&T requires for a credit check) to picking out a combination of voice, data and messaging service. The cheapest option, at $59.99 a month, includes 450 anytime minutes, 5,000 night and weekend minutes, 200 text messages and unlimited data. That's much cheaper than Verizon (which would charge more like $90) but about the same as T-Mobile and more expensive than Sprint, going by the numbers we published a couple of weeks ago.

* Once set up through iTunes, you can sync just about anything in iTunes to it: songs, videos, TV shows, movies, podcasts, audiobooks. On the Mac I'm using for my first set of tests, iTunes also whisked over my Address Book contacts list, calendars stored in iCal, iPhoto albums, Safari bookmarks and my choice of e-mail settings. That last item alone saved me a good five minutes of setup work on the phone, judging from the effort it's taken to configure other smartphones for my various e-mail addresses.

* The phone itself bears little resemblance to any other cellphone that I've used--a slim, rounded rectangle of polished metal, glass and plastic. (It also feels warmer in operation than any phone I've tried lately.) Only a few unlabeled buttons break its lines: one to lock it, one to return to its home screen, two to adjust volume and one--hurrah!--to switch off its ringer. That, in turn, means the onscreen controls have to do almost all of the phone's work.

* As for those controls--let's just say that if your fingers are sufficiently bigger than average, you may hate the thing. Inputting letters and numbers with the various onscreen keyboards requires a fair amount of dexterity, and wide-gauge fingers will only get in the way. If you're used to thumb-typing on a Palm or a BlackBerry, you may need to unlearn those techniques also. A video on Apple's site recommends typing with your index finger, one key at a time; given the poor accuracy I've achieved thus far with thumb-typing on the iPhone, I suspect that's the right idea.

* On the other hand, I was almost instantly impressed with the gesture-driven interface Apple uses. To scroll through your address book or iTunes playlist, just whisk a finger downward; to stop the scrolling, touch the screen once. When browsing the Web or viewing photos, you can zoom in for a closer look by moving two fingers apart, then zoom back out by moving two fingers towards each other. That's nifty.

* The version of Safari on the iPhone is the second phone browser that I've seen make full-sized pages readable on a phone's smaller screen: The version of Opera included on some high-end Nokias can also do that. Web browsing on AT&T's data network is, indeed, on the pokey side--a Google Map of my neighborhood took the better part of a minute to finish downloading--but zips along on a WiFi connection.

* Yeah, the thing makes phone calls too.

Now I'd like to hear from those of you out there who braved the lines on Friday to join the ranks of iPhone users: How's your new gadget working out? I'm particularly interested in hearing about:

* Data access: Are there any serious, consistent gaps in AT&T's network in or near D.C.?
* How are you finding the touchscreen controls?
* How easy is it to browse the Web in the iPhone's copy of Safari?
* Any issues syncing the iPhone to your computer?
* How soon did you first have to recharge the battery?
* And if you've had the misfortune of dropping the thing (as Buyer Number One at the Clarendon Apple Store almost did), did it survive?

Let me know in the comments--I'll be reading them throughout the weekend--and you'll help make my iPhone review better. Thanks!

By Rob Pegoraro  |  June 30, 2007; 4:13 PM ET
Categories:  Gadgets
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: iPhone Freakout Watch
Next: Opening Up the Cable Box

Comments

Glad you're mostly liking the phone. I love mine! But here's a tip for typing: just ignore what you see on the screen and type away as fast as you can; i'm telling you, the bloody software transforms all my misstyped words into perfect English. The faster I type, the nbetter it gets. Amazing. I'm only using my index finger, but so far I am way faster than I ever was on my Blackberry 7100. Trust the software! Believe me, it works!

Posted by: lazyb | June 30, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

PC World has an article up on testing the iPhone against accidental drops and scratches. They couldn't scratch the screen, even while trying to gouge it with a key. And dropping it did nothing -- except scratch the stainless-steel ring, and only on when it was dropped on concrete.

So far mine works wonderfully. Although my number transfer from T-Mobile hasn't seem to have been finalized yet (calls still come to my T-Mobile phone). But making calls -- and receiving SMSs -- works great.

I've found with the screen, if you just "plow through" and (I'm not kidding) just type in the general area of the keys, the phone's software is very VERY good at guessing what you meant. I'm typing with two thumbs already.

Posted by: BdeRWest | June 30, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I am stunned - the activation took 6 minutes (existing AT&T Acct) - so easy - so beautiful. A "cover off the ball" homerun!

Posted by: Glenn | June 30, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I bought a iPhone last night. Today, I was able to talk/EDGE from Arlington to Leesburg in the car without any droppage or decrease in quality of call or accessing e-mail. As my first experience with AT&T was a pleasantly surprised with the call coverage in Northern VA. Additionally, the phone is beautiful and easy to use. So far, so good!

Posted by: Jeff | June 30, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Just curious, what happens if you buy the phone and fail AT&T's credit check? On top of the $500+ phone, would AT&T expect you to pay a $200+ deposit?

Craziness.

Posted by: DG | June 30, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone else noticed that the Safari "Choose File" button is always disabled on iPhone? That means I can't select and upload files to any sites. What gives?

Posted by: Andrew | June 30, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Would like to say that i love it but I still have not been activated....huge delays....

Posted by: MG | June 30, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what Andrew means with 'Choose File' button. Such button doesn't exist in iPhone's Safari.

I am liking my iPhone. The activation and sync was uneventful (I use a Mac). Had some problems connecting to some protected WiFi networks... even when the iPhone recognizes them and connects, it gets a bad IP address from the DHCP (probably a problem with the router and not with the phone?). Also missing copy/paste features. Really happy with the screen though. I was surprised with the gorgeous color... and then I discovered it comes with the brightness control half way by default!

Posted by: Miguel A. Friginal | June 30, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

According to Reuters, if you fail the credit check, AT&T offers a month-by-month prepaid plan...

Posted by: Wes | June 30, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Here are some answers to some questions about iPhone.

Incidentally, if after you've purchased the iPhone, go home to register the phone but fail to pass the credit check... do not worry... You are luckier than you think. Not passing the credit check would mean you will not be bound by the 2 yr contract with AT&T. Instead you will be paying on a month to month basis similar to that using pre-paid phone cards.

Posted by: iPhone AT&T FAQs | June 30, 2007 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Here are some answers to some questions about iPhone.

Posted by: iPhone AT&T FAQs | June 30, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I love it! So far, it has performed well above expectations -- which were high. The ONLY thing that happened this morning was that Safari seemed to quit on me wthout reason. But it hasn't seemed to repeat this since then. Overall, I'm extremely pleased and satisfied with my iPhone.

Posted by: Rob | June 30, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

The big news out here in Silicon Valley was that Woz waited in line - overnight, some said - to get his second phone.

Posted by: mopalia | June 30, 2007 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Scrolling or going from one open web page to the next with a swipe of the finger across the screen is incredibly intuitive. So intuitive, in fact, that I wish it was available in the calendar app. You know, like turning the pages of a day timer.

Posted by: arw | June 30, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Took 8 hours to Activate number from Verizon (though I slept most of them). Contacts seem to take a long time to sync (even when they aren't changed). I'm clumsy with the typing but coming up to speed. Edge in San Francisco is actually fine. Not fast but about the same as T-mobile in SFO most of time (which isn't saying too much). Cut and Paste missing is problematic when you have a 128 character Hash for a WiFi password at the office. I'm surfing all the time...

Overall, it lives up to the hype. It's not perfect (needs cut and paste, GPS, iChat, and VOIP) but it's worth all the trouble. I'm very glad to have it and I'm looking forward to violently destroying my Treo very soon.

Posted by: Alex | June 30, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

>> ".... fail to pass the credit check... do not worry... You are luckier than you think. "

How is it being "lucky" if you fail credit check and pay month-to-month for AT&T? Remember, the phone is locked to AT&T for the next 5 years (at least) and you can use ONLY AT&T on iPhone - pre-paid or post-paid!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

The video on Apple's site that you linked to actually says that you should start out typing with one finger and then migrate to thumbs as you get used to it. As others have stated, you just have to learn to trust the smart software which is really good.

Posted by: meelash | June 30, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Amazing product! I was hesitant at first... but I decided what the heck and waited in line for 8 hours. Let me tell you something, it was well worth it! No problems activating at all and it took less than 5 minutes from start to finish. The time from when I finally hit "Submit" in iTunes to the time the phone told me it was ready was about 15 seconds. Great service!!!

The tutorial Apple provides on thier website is a huge timesaver. I highly recommend it.

The keyboard took me about half an hour to get used to, but now I'm typing very fast with both thumbs with only a couple errors. The AT&T/EDGE coverage is great in my area (Howard County, MD) and the WiFi really speeds things up in Safari when it is available. I setup Gmail and was delighted at how quickly it was completed. I was checking email within less than a minute! I fully charged the battery overnight and have been using the phone extensively all day today... surfing, YouTube, email, text messaging, music, and I still have about 1/2 battery life left. I'd say the battery life is on par if not better than what was announced by Apple. And finally, the touchscreen controls are absolutely incredible. So easy to use and FUN!!! No complaints here.

Posted by: Jeremy | June 30, 2007 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Question. If AT&T is not subsidizing this phone why do you need to sign up for a 2 year plan? Makes no sense and sounds way overpriced

Posted by: harrison,baltimore, Md. | June 30, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

My only complaint is the you can't delete more than one email message at a time. It took me 84 taps (2 per message) to delete 42 messages last night. I can't believe there is not a "clear all" in the trash can either!

Posted by: Desiree | June 30, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: harrison,baltimore, Md. | June 30, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Desiree, you can select multiple messages and delete them all at once.

Posted by: Chris | June 30, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

QUESTION: How is the screen in bright sunlight? Is it very readable, somewhat readable, or washed out like most cellphones.

thx.

Posted by: Dezlboy | June 30, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

The screen is very readable in the sun

Posted by: Ben | June 30, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

The EDGE data rate in Baltimore, MD seems to be quite good.

I used Google Maps on the beltway to get real-time traffic information. On one hand it was amazingly useful and saved me about 10 minutes because I eventually avoided getting into a traffic jam. On the other hand the download was super fast, I could easily scroll the map and it never took more than 3-4 seconds to load the missing parts. Even when I switched between the map and the satellite views it was very fast.

In general the phone is really amazing. I showed it to some of my friends and everyone fell in love for the first sight.

Posted by: Zebulon | June 30, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

When will the iPhone get GPS do you think?

Posted by: Eric Sonnabend | June 30, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I bought two this morning. A short wait at the store, maybe 10 minutes. In and out in perhaps 10 minutes max. Then home to activate it. It was a fair amount of personal info to input. Processing time maybe 12-15 minutes. It had you wait several minutes at various stages.
Then came on the message " we need more time to activate and we'll email you when its done". It took about five hours. I called an ATT hotline and was put on hold for about five minutes. Then I spoke to a very friendly lady who said the norm was a few thousand activations and they were close to a million and it could be 24 to 48 hours to get it done.
But it took five hours and then you could use it. The colors are fantastic, the little things like typing and adding iphone contacts were very cool. The sync with itunes is a bit complicated, you have to check off eveything you want to sync ( photos, songs, etc) but it was okay. Summary " A bit of a hassle, but WOW what thing!

Posted by: Buzz adams | June 30, 2007 11:56 PM | Report abuse

I just had to see for myself, so I bought an iPhone (I was on AT&T already).

I have to say, I love it. Here's what I have liked about it so far...

* The interface is seriously, IMHO, leap frogs anything else I've tried by a ton. I've tried several new phones recently, and kept going back to my Treo because I had already gotten over the learning curve with it. There is virtually no learning curve with the iPhone. It's easier to use than the Treo, and I've used a Treo for years.

* No buttons. That's right, the one thing I thought I'd NOT like about it, is one of the things I like BEST about it. I can type just as fast as I could with my Treo (in many ways it's even more relaxing typing on the iPhone), and I can also type and respond to text messages with one hand. This is what makes for such a nice sized screen but still keeps the phone small and no need to slide anything around.

* Auto Portrait/Landscape switching. The orientation of things like web browsing and looking through your music switches automatically from portrait to landscape, just by how you hold it.

* Web browser is very slick, and for the first time I can see myself actually surfing the web on my phone. They really took it to a new level.

* Skinnier and lighter than the Treo.

* Better camera (2 megapixels)

* WiFi (my palm Treo didn't have any wifi)

* Music, video, YouTube, TV Shows, etc. I know other phones have these, but iTunes makes it very easy to get at.

* Syncing worked great. I was able to put all my contacts, appointments, notes, etc. into the iPhone from my Treo quite easily. Syncing on the Palm, for years, always seemed like a hassle. With the iPhone, they have made for a very clean experience.

* Speaker. It has a small speaker built in, which is nice for watching YouTube videos, etc. with others.

* Doesn't answer when I pull it out of my pocket. I had to always be careful with my Treo because I may not want to answer the call until I saw who it was. The "slider" on the iPhone works great.

* "Video" voice mail.

* Very sleek and sexy looking. It just is.

Yes, it's expensive, and yes it's locked down, doesn't have MMS messages, etc. but this is one very nice phone. Maybe I'll find other things in the weeks ahead that I don't like, but for now, I'm very pleased. (I'm sure others will copy many of their innovative features, and don't be surprised to see more phones lose their buttons.)

I bought some Apple stock recently, knowing it would go up with the hype around the phone. My plan was to sell it (or at least put a very tight stop on it) after the phone came out. I think I'll keep my stock. I think this phone will do well.

Anyone want to buy a Treo 680? I'm quite sure I'll never use it again. Even after just one day with the iPhone, my Treo seems very "yesterday."

Kevin

Posted by: Kevin C | July 1, 2007 12:04 AM | Report abuse

What good is the iphone if AT&T can't handle the demand and activate the service? It's now been over 24 hours since purchasing the sleek device, but I'm unable to use it becuase poor, unprepared AT&T is overwhelmed by the number of simultaneous activations. They're bogged down and there's nothing they can do. We're just told to wait. What will Apple do when all the phones come back as quickly as they went out because AT&T can't hold up their end of the bargain? They say they spend $18 million a day on customer service. Why don't they spend it on making things work properly instead of responding when they don't?

Posted by: Jon Kalbfleisch | July 1, 2007 12:11 AM | Report abuse

One more thing, pretty important!

If you connect it to your car stereo with an FM modulator or a cassette adapter, just as you do it with an ordinary iPod, it works perfectly as a mobile phone car kit! All the phone calls are dispatched to the CAR STEREO system so you can hear the calls in perfect sound quality through your car speakers.

Even if the car stereo doesn't support mobile phone connections!

It's cool when you listen to the music in the car, suddenly the music fades out and you hear the ringing. You receive the call and you can hear the caller from the speakers. You can talk and the caller can hear everything perfectly, even if the phone is on the other seat. Without echoing! Apparently Apple managed to get rid of the echoes in the speaker mode. When you end the call, the music fades in and continues from when it stopped before.

Just like with an expensive car kit add-on.

Posted by: Zebulon | July 1, 2007 12:19 AM | Report abuse

your gay

Posted by: bill | July 1, 2007 12:31 AM | Report abuse

avadakadavra, you killed my parents, may hedwig eat your eyes out!

Posted by: harry potter | July 1, 2007 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Dissapointed.
The phone gets way to hot,like most of my apple products.
The typing stinks,anyone who thiks otherwise -your lying to youself
Not worth the price500-600.Not to mention Apple ill make you shell out another 600 in the fall for the new one

Posted by: George | July 1, 2007 12:35 AM | Report abuse

I was far far away on business from a corporate AT&T store on Friday. After driving 5 hours back to Boise ID, I stopped by to see if the At&T store had any left. The store was crowded and there was a line to use the two in store demos. After a bit, I caught a frazzled sales person and asked if they had any left. He Laughed! Apparently they ran out last night and have been ordering the phone to ship directly to persons' home. I asked if anyone was buying the 4 GB version. He said only the ones they had in stock last night.
My anti-technology wife surprised me by playing with the demo and saying "Kewl" three or four times. She even said "I would actually use this" I told her I was buying one for her as well and she only resisted slightly. What a break through device. In the past I really liked Cingular's Family plan and now because she seems to be OK with an iPhone we will be on it through itunes/At&t. I love it!
If we had ordered the phones on Friday night we were told we would have them the next week. Now after another day of sales, it is looking like 2-4 weeks. This is a good practice of delayed gratification...
which I could have done without.

Posted by: Big Cam | July 1, 2007 12:48 AM | Report abuse

It has definitely lived up to my expectations and I was worried that all the 'hype' may have been leading me to a miserable awakening once it hit the shelves on friday. I'm not going to state the obvious features that make it an incredible advance in technology, but one thing I was shocked it can't do is send a text to multiple people in your contacts?! for example, if i want to say 'merry xmas' to all my friends i can't select more then one contact! if there is a way, then somebody please share ;)..but, overall this phone is dope and it was well worth the wait and my $$$..cheers!

Posted by: toyvan | July 1, 2007 1:05 AM | Report abuse

I am impressed. Great phone that saves time and increases efficiency. Simple to operate. Initial price is reasonable.
Once a mass market is created, I am sure the price will come down as in p.c.

Posted by: ven parameswaran | July 1, 2007 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Once a mass market is created, I am sure the price will come down as in p.c.

Posted by: ven parameswaran | July 1, 2007 1:08 AM | Report abuse

iphone review

I hit the Albuquerque Apple store right after work on Friday to pick-up two 8GB iphones for my wife and I.

It was a very exciting event. The news media was there including a helicopter hovering in the air filming. It was a 100 degree heat, but Apple staff were handing out bottled water. The line was pretty long, but once the store opened at 6PM I was in the store in 45 minutes. It was an amazing event with lots of cheering, yelling, and general hoopla. They were selling iphones as fast as they could swipe your credit card. They seemed to have a big quantity. They had them in drawers behind the register and staff kept bringing them from the back to refill the drawers.

Well the iphone in real far exceeds my expectations. It is truly an amazing device. Everything worked flawlessly right out of the box. No electronics device I have ever purchased has amazed me so much with its capability and ease of use. It is extremely cool and addictive. I spent the entire evening playing with it. It was not cheap, but it is worth every penny and more. I highly recommend it to all phonescoop readers.

Gorgeous screen
Multi-touch interface works great
Nice reception ( loud & clear )
WiFi is very fast
YouTube video viewing is very cool
Setup was flawless
Syncs with my Apple Mac Powerbook flawlessly
On-screen keyboard works very well
Thin and gorgeous looking design
ipod is the best ever made for music & video
Battery life is the best of any phone I ever had
Extremely fun & addictive to use

You have to get one !!

Adios

Posted by: Gary Anderson | July 1, 2007 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else think the requirement of paying a $15 tax to use non-Apple headphones was an unnecessary scam for a $600 device?

Otherwise the device is marvelous. I thought the keyboard would suck; it doesn't. You can type far faster on it than with your thumbs. The web browsing is GORGEOUS.

Posted by: Erick | July 1, 2007 2:32 AM | Report abuse

I am having trouble setting up the outgoing email. cingular and at&t have an outgoing mail smtp server you can pass through to send mail (as most corporate exchange serves do not let anyone send outgoing mail through their mail server via imap and pop3). I tried plugging in the cingular and at&t smtp outgoing mail server addresses, but it will not let me pass through!

I'm extremely pleased with this product. My only troubles were:
1) still can't send mail on company account because apple nor at&t provide any information for a pass through smtp server for iPhone; and
2) couldn't sync with Outlook until i found an obsure and very difficult to find setting w/in Outlook to activate a new iTunes Add-in feature that came with the most recent iTunes update. Once I activated it (hours fiddling with Outlook before I found it), it synced perfectly and quickly. iTunes really doen't provide any information about what its doing when it syncs, or instruction on what must be done to get iTunes to talk to Outlook.

If anyone knows how to send corporate email through an att or apple smtp server address (like cingular/att/tmobile and verison all provide smartphone users), please let me know!!

Posted by: JP | July 1, 2007 2:56 AM | Report abuse

It is simply amazing. Worth every penny. The only drawback is owning it RIGHT NOW. Unnecessary attention will be brought to you by using it in public.

Posted by: Matthew Stromer | July 1, 2007 2:56 AM | Report abuse

In evaluating the iPhone, I'm mainly comparing it with my BlackBerry 8700c, which now seems like clumsy ancient technology. In all respects (that I care about), the iPhone is much, much better. Email is better (formatting shows up so I don't see funny characters), photos are beautiful and large, web browsing is a dream (EDGE is slow, but I was already using EDGE on my BlackBerry, and that was slow too), all this cool real-time information is great, etc. Everything is very snappy and responsive. I like the keyboard--it takes some getting used to, but I remember having to climb a learning curve for text input when I got my US Robotics Palm Pilot and my BlackBerry. This is keyboard is nice because I don't need a stylus and there's no keyboard taking up any valuable space on the unit--keeps things compact. Finally, though I'm mainly evaluating this on functionality, I find myself just gazing at this beautiful object--it's really, really gorgeous. I guess there's some value in that as well. Well done, Apple!

Posted by: D Chen | July 1, 2007 6:18 AM | Report abuse

My expectations were shattered.
My wife and I decided to purchase an iPhone for HER use. Grandbabies pictures, iTunes, cell phone, etc. Early reviews of this device hammered on the hype and the deficiencies. These reviews never prepared me for what I see as a revolutionary product. Let this be a lesson for the cell phone companies that have held us hostage to mundane devices and their stranglehold on the access to the modern world of electronic life. Apple has set a mobile communication bar that includes partial control of this media back to the citizen. They did that with the Mac back in the 80's.

Paying the price for this iPhone is the least I can do to contribute to shaking-up the monopoly of the cell phone giants and their long-obsolete software.

I ordered one for myself today.

Posted by: Stephan | July 1, 2007 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Would someone w/iPhone, pls, in No. VA drive on Rt. 609, Pleasant Valley Rd, (west of Rt. 28) from Rt. 50 to Rt. 29? This has been a complete deadzone in AT&T's coverage for many years. Caused me, who lives off PV, to move to another carrier. Thanks. pfs_chantilly

Posted by: Coverage test, pls. | July 1, 2007 7:12 AM | Report abuse

No problems activating this great phone. Moving my verizon number took 30 minutes in one call to the porting department Saturday morning. They stayed on the phone with me the entire time and even called me to make sure it was successful. Despite the customer complaionts elsewhere, they are trying over at ATT.
I have similar accolades as previously posted - but here is what is missing / am frustrated by and would like to see updated:
* no to do application
* no ability to cut and paste
* no sync with exchange (apple please pay the activesync license and give us push email /over the air sync of calendar / address)
* one default email is used and no choice is given to send if you have multiple accounts
* keyboard orientation should always be a landscape option
* no ability to download headers for emails with giant attachments
* safari has no flash support
* dial by number shows contact and completes dialing
* no search functionality within device

Posted by: Joe P | July 1, 2007 7:19 AM | Report abuse

My one data point to offer is coverage. I was an AT&T customer
already -- so I know where the dead/weak spots are in my
area. The iPhone is noticeably less good at handling transient
weak spots (e.g. the 50 ft wide spots here and there where
tower placement + buildings cause trouble) than my previous
phone (a RAZR). And, of course, the need to get to Edge makes
things even worse.

That said, the phone is still a win -- the features are just
stunning.

Posted by: from Mid-Michigan | July 1, 2007 8:13 AM | Report abuse

How is the coverage in D.C?

Posted by: Rilely | July 1, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

George:

If you are concerned about the battery replacement, you can buy the Apple Care Plan. For $69.00 you get the following, the coverage for the iPhone battery is identical.

(ii) Under APP for iPod, Apple will, at its option, repair or replace the affected Covered
Equipment, if (A) during the Repair Coverage Period there is a defect in the Covered
Equipment's materials or workmanship or, (B) during the Coverage Period, the capacity of the
covered iPod battery to hold an electrical charge has depleted fifty (50%) percent or more from
its original specification, after being fully charged and the covered iPod playing music with settings reset.

For the entire coverage plan, same for iPhone, go to http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCare_Protect_Plan_LA_en.pdf

IPhone is the most outstanding device to come to the market in the history of communication. I would strongly recommend anyone in a hurricane, tornado, flood prone areas to have one in the event of an emergency. Buy the iPhone

Posted by: Mr. DeLay | July 1, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

The high-end Nokia devices use Apple's webkit application framework, not Opera, though it seems Apple has done a better job of deploying it on the device.

Posted by: EndHaiku | July 1, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I went through the whole 'more time to activate' scenario, the additional deposit, et cetera. Real horror show.

Once that iPhone sprang to life - wow. It has made my life so much easier already.

And unlike my three PC's sitting in the corner collecting dust - I was on my network, surfing the web and printing off emails in seconds.

This is how products should be designed. With the people in my mind, not the profit margin.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PC Hater | July 1, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Make sure to emphasize the phone's core cell phone functionality. Among other things,PC Magazine Online writes:

"It's the iPhone and, put simply, it isn't a very good phone. Call quality was the worst we've heard on a high-end device in years. We're not going to put that on AT&T, either: our Blackberry Curve made much clearer calls at the same time, in the same place. Reception leaves something to be desired. It's complicated to dial, difficult to send text messages on, and missing all sorts of features that are basically assumed to be in most high-end multimedia phones nowadays."

Posted by: TomT | July 1, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

As a previous AT&T employee (of the old AT&T), I love the company and would like to move my wireless service back to T. The problem for me is that the company still has not added the Treo700P to its lineup, as I want to use the 3G data connection. That said, Palm continues to use the Garnet OS, which is horribly outdated and needs to be replaced with a Linux-based system. So, I'm sticking with Verizon until a 3G version of the iPhone comes out.

Some thoughts on AT&T generally:

- There is a big dead zone on Waples Mill Road, just past the NRA building as one drives toward Reston, as well as several smaller dead zones. Those have existed for years, and last I checked, T had done nothing about the issue.

- When I was still with Cingular, I had lots of trouble getting service for my Treo. Additionally, Cingular reps, while always very friendly, on several occaisons failed to follow-up on promises.

Bottom line: If T gets with the program, I'll be there. Great company, great potential.

Posted by: EricB | July 1, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

These comments make me glad I am waiting for the next version of iPhone, which I should have done for MacBookPro. I love Apple products and support. However: The missing cut/copy and paste feature is critical for my emails and web addresses, for example. Leaving out EVDO was a father knows best decision since it should be up to the customer if battery life is reduced; not programming the phone as a Bluetooth or wired modem connection to laptops shows a lack of understanding standard business use, if what I read is correct. Apple often igores small features that make their devices compatible with the Windows world, such as the "end" keyboard key that does not move the cursor to the end of the line. And, apparently you cannot edit Excel/Word files in iPhone. My Palm OS Verizon 700p works just about everywhere and does all I ask of it, which is a lot for a highly mobile small business owner. All it's missing is WiFi. Wait until the 2008 iPhone model comes out and by then they'll get it right and add the other features that will make it a real smart phone; it's only half-bright now but ready for an upgrade the first day it's sold, based on my survey of user feedback. Another reason to wait: In two months you can buy them on Ebay for half price when customers find the missing features, area coverage, and speed are needed and go back to their more mature smartphones. But the enthusiasm of early adopter buyers is encouraging, even if a bit defensive about the high cost of the preview model, and I look forward to changing from Verizon sometime next year to iPhone and AT&T--if I can get service in my rural area in Georgia. And maybe in two years Verizon will have the iPhone and it will be a world-wide phone with coverage where you need it and set the new standard.

Posted by: SidH | July 1, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Here I am, typing my iPhone review on the device itself. Having bought one of the last few at the Chicago Apple Store yesterday, I'm absolutely thrilled with the device. I haven't had to charge it since I synced all of my data. It's so simple that haven't had to read any instructions - well, I guess I've also been collecting info on it for the past six months but still. Being a very biased Apple geek, and having transferred from an ancient iPod and just about the lowest-end phone possible, I'm probably not the best person to review this little gadget, but im addicted. The little keyboard has worked great for me and I've already migrated to two thumbs. If you are having trouble typing, i recommend not focusing on each letter and trusting the predictive keyboard. Activating my phone was a breeze and my old number transferred in less than minute! I have found all the rest of the touch controls just as simple, even with my strangely demented thumbs haha. As for the network, and Safari, WiFi is uber speedy and even the EDGE network is fast enough for me (except for YouTube). Safari works great and i like the feature that you can type with the keyboard the other direction (it's helpful to have the bigger keyboard because the device doesn't correct URLs obviously). The only problem I've had is the device has twice returned to the home screen when I'm in maps, but this hasn't proved to be an issue since it takes you right back to where you were. I'm hoping Apple will make iChat for this little gadget, because then it will be the absolutely perfect piece of awesomeness. I love my iPhone!!!!

Posted by: Ian | July 1, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

AARRRGGHH! I bought one of these paperweights on Friday. As of Sunday afternoon, I have still not been able to activate it. I spent a total of 2.5 hours on the phone with AT&T support Saturday (and on hold for 30 minutes so far today), but nobody at AT&T can help at all. "Just keep waiting," they say. I wish I could comment about how cool my $500 toy is, but they won't even let me turn it on (since the interface locks you out until it get activated through AT&T). Soooo frustrating... Want to die....

Posted by: toddzilla | July 1, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I purchased my iPhone on Friday night from the AT&T store at Sedgewick & Division Streets here in Chicago. The store seemed to have only about 40 phones in stock - everything was gone within 20 minutes - so AT&T told the 50-or-so in line just behind me that they could purchase fulfillment contracts inside and take delivery on Monday. From the mouth of one of the corporate refs there: Chicagoland AT&T stores were receiving units based on prior sales, which seemed rather silly to me given the number of migrators they were anticipating. Also, oddly, the store kept its inventory in a back room and had to send a special clerk there to retrive each and every order, which slowed things down a bit. Five people were allowed in at a time and then ushered to a "demo area" before being directed to the sales counter; this also slowed down the process somewhat.

All-in-all, I left with the impression that AT&T doesn't quite "get" the iPhone phenom and has some faulty customer paradigm issues to deal with, ASAP. AT&T could quickly become an Achilles Heel for Apple.

Otherwise, the iPhone continues to dazzle me. I find the touch-screen interface to be it's most radical and enjoyable element. I actually prefer this user interface over the trackpad on my laptop - it is extremely intuitive. The software is just stellar, and I love the physicality of it - the smooth scrolling motions, the roulette-like wheels for setting times and dates, the way a page or image will "bounce" against the side of the screen when it is the last in a series...

Bravo, Apple! Better get busy, AT&T!

Posted by: wjcordier | July 1, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

No memory card slot? You can't change the battery yourself? Can't send a photo message? No video from the camera? AND YOU GUYS ARE PAYING HOW MUCH?! LOL. Buy a Samsung.

Posted by: Don't Drink to Koolaid! | July 1, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't have an iPhone, but I like what I've been reading. I'm locked in year 2 of a 2 year TMobile contract though, so don't plan on switching until next year. I've had a Tmobile Sidekick since they first came out in 2002. I'm typing this on it now.

The iPhone really has to have IM (iChat would be cool) or cheaper txt plans to interest me when I'm being realistic.

Posted by: Saj | July 1, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

What is an iphone?

Posted by: Bill Gates | July 1, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

The iPhone is indeed a "game changer." I had an easy time purchasing my 8GB model Friday night at an AT&T store in Austin, TX. I was about number 70 of maybe 100 in line, standing in the blazing sun, but managers passed out water and let us know that they had adequate stock for everyone in line. Apparently I had gone to one of the highest volume AT&T stores in town and they clearly had well over 100 phones in stock. Activation was almost instantaneous once I downloaded the newest version of iTunes.

Now, for the phone itself. I just can't understand all the gripes people keep coming up with. It's almost like someone invented a cure for cancer, and people dismiss it with "I can't believe they actually use a needle to administer it." The virtual keyboard works well, particularly with the corrective software, and no, I'm not just fooling myself. There are some missing features, such as cut-and-paste, MMS messaging, etc. but I think Apple will rectify that with software updates before long. I can't believe reviewers say the phone quality is terrible, it's hard to dial a call, and difficult to send text messages. That's complete hogwash. This phone is much easier and more intuitive to learn/use than any other I've seen. The screen colors, brightness, resolution, and quick switching between portrait and landscape mode are simply dazzling. EVERYONE I've shown this phone to starts to drool. It's just that much better than anything else out there.

Posted by: Mark Nugent | July 1, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

A lot of the complaints about missing "must have" features are things very likely to be addressed with software updates. I'm thinking about these:

-- cut and paste

-- picture messages (I am actually stunned by how many people complain about this -- maybe that's because my cheap, old phone doesn't even have a camera). Note that the iPhone can send pictures as email attachments, though.

-- keyboard rotation to horizontal orientation in all cases

-- ActiveSync for linking to Microsoft Exchange servers

Also, in response to TomT, who mentioned PC Magazine's anecdotal evidence about phone call sound quality, here's a more scientific analysis that indicates that iPhone call quality is excellent: http://www.wirelessinfo.com/content/Apple-iPhone-Cell-Phone-Review/Audio-Quality.htm

Interestingly, the only phone that has scored higher than the iPhone on these tests is the Blackberry Curve, which is what the guys at PC Mag were using as a point of reference. So, yes, compared to that one phone, the iPhone may have worse quality, but the iPhone did better than the Blackberry 8800, Helio Ocean, LG Prada, Nokia N95, and Treo 750 in terms of quality of sound heard by the cell phone user. And, the iPhone was third best among these phones on the sound send frequency tests.

Posted by: Thor | July 1, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Real problem here is ATT/Cingular, they should change their ad's to say "Most Dropped Calls" and I live in a major city.
Apple made a huge mistake by going exclusive with ATT. I would love to have the IPHONE but not until I can get it with another provider.

Posted by: Rusty Bramlett | July 1, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey All there! After reading some comment, I am pretty sure my next buying is nothing but iPhone.

Hey iPhone! Please come to Asia ASAP. I am waiting you since January and ready to get you.

Looking forward from
Thailand

Posted by: Tai | July 1, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

have you seen the new Ferrari Carrozzeria Scaglietti? It's really an innovative car. Sure, it costs 5 times the cost of the average car, but it's really pretty to look at and handles very well. It will revolutionize the automotive space, i'm certain they'll sell millions and put every other vehicle manufacturer out of business.

Posted by: fred | July 1, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Here is some Info about bluetooth sync to my BMW. Have a 2007 335i coupe, and the bluetooth sync worked flawlessly.

But, here is the issue. I have about 1500 contacts on my iPhone, most for email not calling, and it took quite a while after starting the car for all the contacts to download.

Scrolling thru many of the 1500 contacts, some without numbers, makes it difficult to scroll and drive at the same time. I don't need all my contacts downloaded to the car phone.

And they have to do the download everytime I start the car. Thats a nuisance.

It would be better to download the "Favorites" or a subset of the contact list, based on some assigned category, which you can set up in Address Book.

FAVORITES gives you 20 names. - and that seems to be too few for me.

Posted by: Joe | July 1, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Well over 41 hours and no activation for my iPhone. Paid over %600 for a nice looking paper weight on my desk. All I needed was a simple switch from my current AT&T data plan to the iPhone. What a disaster!

Posted by: Thomas Sanders | July 1, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious to hear from those who have synced a very large contact list (500+). How hard is it to find a specific name? As I understand it, iphone lacks a search or type-the-first-few-letters-to-find-the-name feature (like Treo).

Posted by: Mark | July 1, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

How many browsing minutes do you get from AT and T? Is the connection fast eough to support Internet telephony?

Who carries the iPhone when I go abroad? (I spend half my time in Europe).

Posted by: Jaan | July 1, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I look on the bright side. I am a Mac fan who collects Apple products due to their aesthetic value. Whether I use it or not, it will be a great addition to my collection.

Posted by: kris | July 1, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

After reading all the comments and feedback here I can see that iPhone was well or very well received by the public. This is a great news because technology critics were looking for an opening to virtually making mountain of a molehill. First there was great noise about the price but the fact of the matter is that iPhone is no pricier than an iPod and a Black Barry combined. Then there was unwanted noise about the battery replacement procedures. There is nothing new here because iPod batteries are replaced at the Apple Store with 15-20 minutes of wait time. I got my iPhone; it was activated within 30 minutes and I am having great time using it. Thank you Apple for this marvelous experience!

Posted by: S Singh | July 1, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: S Singh | July 1, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

So far everything on this phone has been absolutely amazing! The one and only downfall so far has been at&t's network. At times using the internet can be slow. However, I just travelled from DC to Indianapolis by car and I was on the EDGE network at multiple points. During the trip I was actually surprised at how well the network performed in both rural and metro areas. Also, the keyboard is pretty easy to use. I have never owned a blackberry or Palm, and quite frankly I am glad I didn't. It has taken me less than 48 hours to start typing with two thumbs. In fact I am doing this message from the iPhone. All in all this is the coolest gadget I have ever bought.

Posted by: rlnodak | July 1, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

How many people that have posted comments on this page are brainwashed apple fanatics that will spend hard earned money on virtually anthing apple-esque. All of these "break-through" technologies have existed for a while and continues to evolve at a rampant pace. So why pay $600 now? Though it might sound like it, I'm not a Apple hater. I actually own Apple stock. Why? Because of clever branding of overpriced products and predictable apple fans that are willing to spend. Easy (money that is). So, GO APPLE and go APPLE FANS. I love you all. So does my bank account.

Posted by: hmmmm | July 2, 2007 12:59 AM | Report abuse

I speak with a Kool-Aid smile
to those going on about the battery,
(again),
and the outrageous cost to be so 'cool'.
The drivel about 'most of my other Apple products',
and to all the others trying to say they REALLY don't hate Apple...
Sorry guys, it's going to be a long, long season.
And as for Fred...
we're all really sorry you were abused as a child.

Posted by: S. Balmer from Hell | July 2, 2007 2:46 AM | Report abuse

I speak with a Kool-Aid smile
to those going on about the battery,
(again),
and the outrageous cost to be so 'cool'.
The drivel about 'most of my other Apple products',
and to all the others trying to say they REALLY don't hate Apple...
Sorry guys, it's going to be a long, long season.
And as for Fred...
we're all really sorry you were abused as a child.

Posted by: S. Balmer from Hell | July 2, 2007 2:46 AM | Report abuse

more money yet. go apple. hit $200

Posted by: hmmmm | July 2, 2007 3:25 AM | Report abuse

No happy in the end. Looks good, but the features are a bit lacking:

- Speaker is poor.... and Volume!? (yes, I took the plastic off)... lol

- The camera is SO basic... and no video :-(

- Copy 'n Paste missing

- Landscape does not apply to all apps... very limited (please update Apple!)

- Cannot receive calls whilst using Safari... yikes!

- Bluetooth is locked for file transfer

- Audio jack does not work for standard headphones... this one might seem like the most simple but it annoys me the most. Apple are very sneaky with this... as always, have to fork out for an attachment... Grrrrr.

Posted by: TGrad | July 2, 2007 4:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad to hear that most folks are please with the iPhone. I hope all of you are ready to plunk down another $600 this December when the 2nd generation iPhone arrives; more memory, longer battery life, better camera (perhaps with video). By the way, you old iPhone will have no resale value. Be sure to throw it into the proper recycle bin. As for me, I'll wait until the hype dies down and I have a legitimate reason to replace my perfectly good cell phone.

Posted by: The Navigator | July 2, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Do you realize that the battery is non-replaceable?

That is, it's soldered and glued to the inside of the iPhone, making a replacement near impossible without sending it back to Apple or an Apple specialist. How much money is it going to cost you when this happens?

See here:

Posted by: Dan | July 2, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

My husband got an I phone Friday at 6:30 pm. We were going to buy two, but I decided to wait to see if it was worth it. Activation was fine, and I've hand the weekend to tinker with it. This phone is amazing! I hate when he leaves the house and takes it with him! I will definitely be getting my own this month.

The Pros:

*Only $600 for a digital camera, an 8 gig video iPod, and wireless internet in your pocket. (Email, the REAL web, and very cool web widgets, too.) Oh yeah, and a cell phone! That, folks, is cheap, and you only need to carry one device.

* The interface is amazing. I won't go on here, since so many have, but once you use it you will never want to look at any cellphone out there again.

* No manual needed. Everything is simple and intuitive. You figure everything out by playing with it. Sunday night (night #3 with the iPhone), I was discovering even more, great stuff this thing can do.

*Email rocks. Period.

*Typing is an adjustment, but then is fine... and fun!

* Any change customers want, from chat to landscape mode video recording on the camera (yes, even this), can all be accomplished through iTunes in a software update. The wish list will be worked out over time. Now tell me, what other phone can do that??

Posted by: Girl in Boston | July 2, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

My husban persuaded me to let us purchase the 8GB iPhone. He stood in line at Tysons for 3 hrs on Friday. We were headed to Ocean City on Saturday morning or we would have ordered it online.

We had to update our iTunes to the newer 7.3 and then the activation took just a few minutes. The last phone we bought in a Cingular store took us over 2 hours since we had an existing phone number. The activation in iTunes allowed us to enter our existing number, agree to the $20 up-charge on our account (Data plan) and a few minutes later it was done. We were making calls within an hour.

We synced our favorite music, photos, address book, safari book marks, and email settings.

On day 1 in OC, the whole family was playing with it on a regular basis. We were all amazed how we were turning to the iPhone for integration with our discussions. Movie times, location of the pool hall, who sang that song while in line at Phillips Crab House, and the history of "unlucky 13".

My sister-in-law Val Kettner had watched all the movies on the Apple site and seemed to know more about how to the iPhone then we did, but within a few hours everyone had it down.

I must be one of the lucky ones because I am typing fine on the keyboard using my thumbs, which seems to be inconsistent with other reviewers.

So in short, my attitude changed from unexcited about spending $600 to being thrilled to have such a handy device.

Posted by: Terri Thomson | July 2, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Does it come with a belt clip accessory for those of us who like carry cell phones on our belts? APC

Posted by: APC | July 2, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I think the iPhone is the future of handheld devices realized. Apple has really achieved something remarkable. Now we need to get used to working the UI because this is how the most innovative handheld device of our time works.

The iPhone needs a few things: group email deletes (like Blackberry - delete all mail after date), IM (how can you not include IM), and we're all stuck on AT&T unfortunately. You should get some comments from Apple on the AT&T performance this past week.

I do think AT&T is a strange choice because you have a company like Apple, in the pantheon of innovation, working with AT&T, a company that acts more like a stodgy utility

The touchscreen is kind of fun. It gets smudgy and I'm into clean, so I clean it often.

Safari is fine unless you're off wifi. Then its very slow.

No sync issues, but it took me a few minutes to figure out how to sync photos, etc. The big question is this: What is the role of my iPod? Do I take both on trips? How does listening on the iPhone affect talk time? All that remains to be seen through use.

* How soon did you first have to recharge the battery? -- About 6 hours of actual use. I had it on constantly. The first charge also too a long time. The next one a few hours.

Have not dropped it.

Posted by: Neil Vineberg | July 2, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Since I need my phone for business, I have not heard how the iphone handles attachments in email. It appears that most use it for pleasure, instead of business.

Posted by: RSpence | July 2, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I think the Navigator's comments are right on the mark. Anyone remember the age-old wisdom: Never buy version 1.0 of anything? Like Navigator I too plan to wait to adopt: I'd rather pay $600 for a phone updated with features that should have been there in the first place. I guess I'll have to be "uncool" until then.

Posted by: A Reader | July 2, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

People who say that they will just have to be 'uncool' until they buy an iPhone must realize that no one really cares.

Posted by: Dan | July 2, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The iPhone ROCKS!!!!! I waited in line at Tysons' for 4 hours (Number 100!) and was pleased at how smoothly and efficiently everything went. Store opened at 6:00 sharp and I was actually in there by 6:30pm. Bought my phone and a leather carrying case (with clip for belt) and was home by 7:30. I was one of the lucky ones whose activation process went swiftly and in no time I was using the phone to make and receive calls.

I'm still discovering new and wonderful things you can do with this thing -- it's addictive! I don't want to put it down, I just want to hold it and experiment with all the features and functions! It is a beautiful device but most important is that it "just works!" Entering contacts manually on the phone is a breeze; text-messaging is a breeze.... being able to surf the internet -- the WHOLE internet -- anywhere is fantastic. Using the phone is significantly easier and a much more pleasant experience than trying to push tiny little buttons on a regular cell phone. Although I have had cell phones in the past I always tended to use them only if I absolutely needed to do so -- I have already used my iPhone many times, even when at home with the landline phone right at hand!

Since I never had a PDA or a Blackberry I cannot offer comparisons to those vs the iPhone, but I can certainly highly recommend the iPhone for anyone in search of a device which is easy and fun to use and which does the job admirably. Apple has definitely raised the bar in terms of mobile communications.

Posted by: Happy iPhone user | July 2, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I bought two iPhones on friday, 8GB for me and 4GB for my wife. The activation process was a little difficult due to my AT&T account being listed as a business account, but 1 1/2 hours on hold and 5 minutes with the customer service rep and We were good to go! Both of us have been tickled with our new phones. The call quality is excellent, coverage here in Birmingham, AL is great and the EDGE has proven to be faster than first reported. Typing with one finger is very easy once you learn to trust the software to fill in for you with predictive text. Both of my e-mail accounts synch perfectly and I have no real complaints. I am a little hard of hearing, so I would like the ringer to be a touch louder, but other than that, we are both very happy with our iPhones.
To all the posters who complain about no memory card slot, I say "8 Gigabytes of storage! Duh!" My Treo NEEDED an SD card for additional storage, my iPhone came with more than enough. I have over a thousand photos, about 1,200 hundred songs and I still have room left over. I also have three music videos and 5 episodes of "The Dresden Files" to keep me entertained. So much for memory expansion.

Posted by: Larry M | July 2, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I believe you are working for Apple. Verizon do offer a similar plan and it doesn't cost more than $90. The IPHONE looks really really nice and I would definite want one, but a cool phone with no service does me no good. Verizon service will keep me from switching. My Verizon phone works everywhere.

Posted by: Fadil | July 2, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

No problems activating this great phone. Moving my verizon number took 30 minutes in one call to the badspace porting department Saturday morning. They stayed on the phone with me the entire time and even called me to make sure it was successful. Despite the customer complaionts elsewhere, they are trying over at ATT.
* no to do application
* no ability to cut and paste
* keyboard orientation should always be a landscape option
* no ability to download headers for emails with giant attachments
* safari has no badspace flash support
* dial by number shows contact and completes dialing
* no search functionality within device

Posted by: kent | July 2, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Playing catch-up in this thread:

* I'm not thrilled about one-at-a-time e-mail deletion. But how do you trash a bunch at once? I have not yet been able to figure that one out.

* Yes, the screen stays readable in direct sunlight.

* Joe: How'd you sync the contacts list to your car? The Toyota Prius's Bluetooth supports that--I've sent over phone numbers from my Treo that way--but the iPhone doesn't seem to allow it.

* Mark: I've got several hundred contacts on the phone, and I haven't had any real issues browsing through them. You can either tap the alphabetical index on the right of the screen to jump ahead or just scroll up and down by flicking a finger up or down the screen.

Keep the comments coming!

- RP

Posted by: Rob Pegoraro | July 2, 2007 7:01 PM | Report abuse

News about battery replacement:
Making iPhone battery replacement policy identical to the iPod's--that is, requiring the user send it off somewhere for days--is obviously a problem Apple needs to solve. People can live without their iPods for a while, but not their phones.

A salesman at an Apple store told me this yesterday: The plan is to start a loaner program. You'll bring your dying iPhone in to a store, deposit $29.95, and the store will loan you another AT&T phone until your iPhone is ready. It will work fine because they will take the SIM card out of your iPhone and put it into the loaner. He said the SIM card will work in many recent AT&T phones, and he plans to swap it into his old one when he goes to the beach.

The CNET review says the SIM cards will NOT work in other AT&T phones. But I got the strong impression that this guy was telling me the truth--or at least what he believed to be the truth.

It sounds plausible to me, too. On a science writers' listserv I belong to, people were appalled at the idea of being without a phone (and their contacts and other essential info) for several days. Apple has got to fix this. If they are determined to keep people from replacing their own batteries, a loaner program sounds like a reasonable way to do it.

It is indeed a dazzling phone. Talk about automagic. Not quite perfect, but it's absolutely clear Apple will be upgrading the software frantically in the coming months. And, as others have said, the hardware too. There are already more than 2 dozen 3rd-party apps available. My Verizon contract doesn't run out 'til fall, so I'm happy that I can delay a decision until Apple has brought out v. 1.1 for the Christmas trade.

Posted by: tam | July 3, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this has been discussed... Apple has revealed details of its battery replacement plan for the iPhone.
The plan costs $79 plus an additional $6.95 postage and packing. Under the plan, iPhone users will be able to have their battery replaced if it fails; the plan extends to devices that have passed their warranty period.
Installing a new battery also means users must expect a three-day wait and should be prepared for all the data on their phone -- including contacts, e-mail account settings, text messages and other content -- to be wiped out.
"It is important to sync your iPhone with iTunes to back up your contacts, photos, e-mail account settings, text messages, and more," Apple warns, saying it is, "not responsible for the loss of information while servicing your iPhone and does not offer any data transfer service." I found this @

Posted by: Penthar Mol | July 3, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Two days after iPhone launch, AT&T EDGE goes down. This news came from Technology & Business Daily Scoop @ http://www.infoworld.com/

Posted by: Penthar Mol | July 3, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I had thought that it might be convenient to have a phone and an iPod in one device. However, this would cost an extra $240 per year (i.e. the cost of the data plan). Seems like a high price to pay for carrying a single device instead of two. ... Consequently, I'm starting to look more closely at the Sony-Erickson music phone. Does anyone have any recommendations for a music phone that _won't_ require a data plan?

Posted by: John | July 3, 2007 9:05 PM | Report abuse

The comments are great, and I'm giving some serious consideration to purchasing one.

Can it Sync to my Comcast account and my work Exchange account? Can the Calendar also Sync similarly?

I also have an Audi with Bluetooth built in. (I have a Motorola RAZR currently paired with my car). Will the iPhone sync with my car as well? Also, I may have 200+ contacts and don't want all of those phone numbers to be available in my car. Is there a way to distinguish?

Posted by: Rob | July 3, 2007 11:33 PM | Report abuse

While I didn't have to wait in line for long (there was a very short one when I arrived at 6:15 PM on Friday) it did take 60 hours and a number of phone calls for the phone to be activated.

Once activated, I immediately noticed rapid battery drain, and went to the Apple store where they determined it had a "battery issue." They swapped the phone. Symptoms: While tethered. the back of the phone is warm to hot, and the battery drains quickly. The guy in line behind me had the same problem, as did another farther back in the line.

Before leaving the Apple store, I bought another iPhone for my 16 year old daughter. It was activated, including porting over her Verizon number, in minutes ... as advertised. However, this iPhone has to go back too - the camera doesn't work.

My replacement phone lasted a few hours then died a quiet death - one minute it worked, the next it didn't. Apple gave me a replacement for the replacement.

It took 4 completely frustrating hours on the phone with AT&T (over 2 days) to get my account switched from a single user (me) to a Family Talk plan ... and a total of 14 hours for the replacement replacement to get activated. This is absolutely true! The final hour and 25 minutes were spent - mainly on hold with AT&T - from the Genius Bar at the Apple Store on 5th Ave in NYC beginning at 6:00 AM (not PM) on the 4th of July!

Although my enthusiasm for the iPhone has been completely doused (heat seekers crave instant and total gratification), I like the phone. If, however, I'd known what I now know about AT&T and iPhone reliability ... I'd have waited; it's been an exhausting, 24/5 ordeal.

Posted by: Rhyder | July 5, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse