Tased and Confused

LAS VEGAS--My "best product demo" award for this year's CES has to go to Taser International, the manufacturer of those hand-held stun guns. At its booths, volunteers could sign up to get Tased at a low voltage. I had the fortunate timing to show up as one such individual was signing the fine-print-packed waiver form required for this demonstration.

The man, a reporter for some Norwegian news outlet, stood as a company rep affixed a wire leading to a Taser. The rep pulled the trigger, and the man crumpled to the floor, cursing in pain.

Taser was also showing off the latest version of its C2 personal-use stun gun. This $350 device now comes in even more colors--red, pink and leopard print. (The last option adds $25 to the purchase price.) And C2 owners will soon be able to purchase an accessory for it called the MPH, short for Music Playing Holster. This leather case includes an MP3 player with 2 GB of storage.

I swear I am not making any of this up.

By Rob Pegoraro  |  January 10, 2008; 7:34 AM ET
Categories:  CES 2008
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CES for Your iPod
Next: Boot Up To Sit Down

Comments

A personal taser! No license or background check required. I can see the class action lawsuits now...

Posted by: Jerry | January 10, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

"What a world, what a world..." Is it just me, or is our society finally, really, cracking up?

Posted by: Haig Evans-Kavaldjian | January 10, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Of course. Just what you need to complete your personal arsenal: a personal taser that doubles as mp3 player.

Posted by: Bart | January 10, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

How many people were signing up just so they could say "don't tase me, bro!"?

Posted by: Username | January 10, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I am waiting for the availability of personal nuclear weapons. After all, you have to be able to protect yourself adequately in this world.

Posted by: Armey Geddon | January 10, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

My girlfriend keeps saying that she wants one of the new Taser models. I refuse to get her one because I know the first thing she will tase is me.

Posted by: michael | January 10, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

It's been cracking up for a while now..

Posted by: jorge_mt | January 10, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

TASER SAVES LIVES EVERYDAY

And now they are cool too!

Posted by: Dave | January 10, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Personal tasers have been available for sometime now. This version however is PERFECT for joggers, particularly women, that listen to music while doing so.

Posted by: Mike | January 10, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm still an old fashioned gal....S&W .357

Posted by: Tina | January 10, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

What if you mean to skip to the next song and accidentally tase someone?

Posted by: A | January 10, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Here is what one police officer said online about the civilian access to tasers:

"maplemac283
01-14-2004, 04:55 PM
As a police officer, this scares the crap out of me. When I go to do an arrest attempt I am ALSO going to have to worry about being tazed and having my weapon stripped? They have got to be kidding. The FOP is already talking boycotting all Taser products... This is going to be bad bad PR for their company. Stay tuned. I can tell you its gonna be deadly force if someone pulls a taser out on me.
"

I think "helpless women" are less likely to buy the taser than criminals. Think of what a great holdup tool it would be.

I wonder if the company can be sued for criminal misuse of their product?

Posted by: Margaret Mortz | January 10, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I am with Tina. I have a permit to, and I do, carry a concealed 45 caliber automatic. Tasers would work well for joggers I suppose, but for real self defense, you can not beat the stopping power of a 45ACP!

Posted by: Larry M | January 10, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

My li'l snub-nosed .25 is perfect for us ladies! Easy to carry - fits my hand like a glove. It's been my buddy for 20+ years.

His name is "stubby".

(can't you all just see the menfolk here rolling their eyes?)

Posted by: lala | January 11, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Armey Geddon:
Personal nuclear weapons have been with us for some time. Their existence was documented in the "Neighborhood Nuclear Superiority" segment of Michael Nesmith's groundbreaking video "In Elephant Parts."

Posted by: Stratocaster | January 11, 2008 2:41 AM | Report abuse

I want one of these personal tasers. I think its more effective than mace or pepper srpay which 1) needs the attacker to be much closer, and 2) could easily go back into my own face with the wind blowing.

I think women need something, and being a pacifist, I don't want a gun that would kill someone, but I do want to be able to quickly get away. I think the personal taser is just right.

Posted by: Marianne | April 1, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse