MySpace's New Look Seems the Same Old Mess

MySpace is sporting a new look today, as my colleague Mike Musgrove notes in his story. It's drawing some early, if limited praise; TechCrunch's Erick Schonfeld writes that the redesign "shows that MySpace can clean up its act without giving up the ability for every member to customize their MySpace page exactly to their tastes (or lack thereof)."

My own reaction? Meh.

The new home page is, indeed, more organized than before, with blue boxes that group some common functions. But the massive ad background for the new Batman movie, complete with a video clip that plays automatically, quickly destroys any newfound sense of order. Things aren't much better after you log in, with only a slight reduction in the number of blinking, flashing and usually irrelevant ads.

My visceral dislike for this popular social-networking hub's cluttered look is not exactly news. But I think I'm getting less tolerant of its ugliness as other sites show they care to craft interfaces worthy of words like "clean," "efficient" and "elegant." (I can't stand to read the Drudge Report for the same reason--would it kill the management there to get a real font and hire somebody who knows anything, absolutely anything at all, about good design?)

Or maybe I'm just too old to use a site that does such a good job of imitating the chaotic decor lining the inside of so many high-school locker doors. What do you all think of MySpace's redesign?

By Rob Pegoraro  |  June 18, 2008; 2:59 PM ET
Categories:  The Web
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remembrance of Things Password
Next: Firefox Turns 3

Comments

i think the new design is great! not sure what you're talking about...

Posted by: Marie | June 18, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Interesting the link to your technology article is broken!

Posted by: Mike | June 18, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I love myspace--even more with the new design

here's a tip, consider not including a pic of yourself in your column. Makes you look like a geek that knows what he's talking about, when actually....

Posted by: Anonymous | June 18, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

they paid you to write this ?

Posted by: H | June 18, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I have no interest in making any future trips to myspace. As soon as I saw how elegantly Facebook did social networking, I closed-down my myspace page and never looked back.

I'm with you, Rob.

Meh.

Posted by: Jeff G. | June 19, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Myspace continues to be the largest social networking trailer park on the internet.

It hasn't changed. Just some minor tweaks for the P.R.

Posted by: Jason | June 19, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I quite agree, and share your visceral reactions. But the Web is covered with them. What can you do? There's this otherwise quite intelligent site called the Washington Post, for example, which has flashing banner ads along the top and squeezes its content so tightly between side advertisement blocks that there's hardly enough room on a line to get in a really long word without hyphenation. Sigh.

Posted by: PatHayes | June 19, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I guess MySpace Tom is too young to remember the Coca Cola fiasco.

Posted by: Sherry | June 19, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Once a company starts fiddling around too much with its theme there's underlying problem. Myspace grew too fast too quickly. It's cluttered. There's too much spam, too much noise, too much clutter. I've shuttered my account.

Posted by: Mike | June 19, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

My space is a pain in the butt! when you get a friend request, it takes forever to find the place to get it. I only use it to try to have contact with my grandchildren. Tom you need to go back to the drawing board.

Posted by: Pati in Arizona | June 20, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

If MySpace looks like the inside of a high school locker, maybe because their main target is high schoolers.

Posted by: Rick | June 20, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I think it sucks. There was nothing wrong with it before, now it's just completely broken. Bring back the old look

Posted by: Cliff | June 23, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

It was bad enough that all the profiles have so much script and garbage on them requiring a 20 minute wait before the page loads, NOW the login screen has the waiting period for those of us who don't have a $5000 pc. I say it this way, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

Posted by: Dewayne G. | June 24, 2008 1:53 AM | Report abuse