What's Up Apple's Sleeve?

It's time, once again, to indulge in one of the Internet's favorite games: Guessing what Apple will announce at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference. "WWDC" primarily serves as a forum for Mac programmers who come to San Francisco to learn about new and upcoming features in Apple's software. But WWDC has also become a geekier, mid-year equivalent of Macworld Expo. Like that January gathering, it serves as a public platform for chief executive Steve Jobs to recap Apple's latest exploits and unveil a batch of new products.

The speculation about what Jobs will announce in his Monday keynote (10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern) has focused largely on a new iPhone that can use AT&T's "3G" mobile-broadband service and runs the updated system software previewed in March. But lately people have begun to fixate on the odds of the jeans-and-black-mock-turtleneck-clad CEO also giving a first look at the next major release of Mac OS X. Photos of banners already hanging inside the Moscone West convention center suggest that the company will focus equal attention on the iPhone and OS X.

(My colleague Michael Rosenwald just instant-messaged me with a link to that same page, commenting that "i can hardly work. the excitement is building. i might need a valium." He may or may not be joking, but the sentiment is real among a certain segment of the Apple user base.)

Yet another line of discussion suggests that Apple will use WWDC to relaunch and rebrand its lackluster .Mac online service.

To keep track of all of these different rumors, Ars Technica writer John Siracusa has once again prepared his traditional keynote bingo card, listing things that could be announced or said during the main event. I love the thought of a developer completing a row on his or her card and shouting "Bingo!" Sadly, I won't be at WWDC to witness this firsthand, but you can play from home too!

You can also play the prophet here: In the comments, post what you expect to see Jobs announce Monday. For extra credit, post what you'd like to see him announce, even if you're pretty sure that won't come to pass.

By Rob Pegoraro  |  June 6, 2008; 10:10 AM ET
Categories:  Mac
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Now Showing on the Netflix Player: Hollywood's Busted Business Model
Next: Amazon Takes a Long Lunch Hour

Comments

In an ideal world, this is the iPhone I will get next week:
32GB, with GPS, Notes, Todo list.
SplashData available in Apps store.
Easy way to migrate from the Palm Treo.
Ability to download podcasts directly into iPhone.
And it will cost under $500.
Any chance?

Posted by: Potsdam | June 6, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Third-party licensing of FairPlay!

Ha, as if.

Posted by: M Street | June 6, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Jobs will announce: The Rapture! v1.0

Posted by: wiredog | June 6, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Flash support -- business will never take the iPhone seriously otherwise. Voice dialing would also be very nice to have.

Posted by: Jim | June 6, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

why does enterprise need Flash support?

One thing NOT mentioned in the many news stories I've skimmed so far is the iPhone App Store. How is that coming along? Or is this now part of what is called "OS X iPhone" vs "OS X Leopard" or "Snow Leopard"?

Posted by: bd | June 6, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see 32GB

Posted by: Sonya | June 6, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll be Jobs is digging the ego stroking. I remember the post Apple Jobs trying to pander the Next as the 'revolution'.

Go android!

Posted by: Frank | June 6, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Give me a better, faster, HDMI Mac Mini, or give me death.

Posted by: Sam Lowry | June 6, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, I am such a satisfied Apple user that I don't even know I want newer and better until Steve Jobs tells me I do. I'm satisfied with my iPhone, MacBookPro and .mac services. Better is always nice, but I simply can't keep up with Apple and all its innovation.

Posted by: Sandra Harwood | June 6, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Soma, Soma, Soma...

Posted by: HighwayJack | June 6, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

ideal iPhone:
32 GB
real app switching
gps integrated maps app
IM client that sends photos/files
video
direct app downloadsno flash support

Posted by: LPR | June 6, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

The iPhone needs flash, the ability to cut & paste and the option to call back the sender of a text message. Oh, and ability to read mail/ text in landscape.

Posted by: sean d engineer | June 6, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

iPhone...more memory and better camera.
I'd also like to see Apple introduce a notebook that is one large touchscreen and doesn't fold. I'd like it to have all the capabilities of their iMac, be lightweight and portable, and wirelessly interact with panel TV's to use them as a monitor when not on the go. So far I'm being realistic, the unrealistic request is to never have to plug wires into it to recharge a battery.

Posted by: Craig | June 6, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

32 GB 3G iPhone in a slightly smaller plastic body with a larger screen.

GIVE TO ME NOWWWWW!

Please, oh beltless one...

Posted by: Sam | June 6, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

The iPhone needs the functionality of a 10-year-old Palm device. That's right: to-do lists WITH CATEGORIES, memos WITH CATEGORIES, and contacts WITH CATEGORIES. And an accurate utility to get this information out of Outlook and onto the phone and the Mac OS.

Posted by: Information Central | June 6, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

For business to take iPhone seriously - iPhon eneeds to take security seriously. If one of my users loses a Blackberry - i can go to be Blackberry Server and with a total of about 3 clicks - Wipe that handheld clean. That gives our provacy conscious clients confidence that we've got their back whenit comes to protecting that privacy.

iPhone is a beautiful consumer device (phone, camera, media player) - not an enterprise mobile email device.

Posted by: Brendan | June 6, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Apple is to the IT world what Communism was when it was launched back in the days.

It seems like a great idea in the beginning, you end up finding its like dictatorship.

Just wrapped up so it looks pretty.

Posted by: Soren | June 6, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

What would make me buy a new iPhone since I held off on 1.0 for these reasons? In order of importance to me:

VOICE DIALING
Better email management/ access/ switching
Battery life improvement (see note on 3G below)
More capacity (32GB nice)

Flash support should be a given?! Apple touts the "real browser", gotta be able to load real web content.

Direct downloads would be nice, but not a deal breaker. Gotta use the computer to manage much of the content anyhow.

3G's a given and will be nice, but not great 3G coverage where I live -- I think some people are expecting too much of 3G and will be upset when they realize they'll be out of 3G network range more often than not. Battery life needs to be as good as or better than iPhone 1.0 even with 3G on.

Posted by: Craig | June 6, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Why is my beautiful multimedia iPhone not capable of displaying and sending multimedia SMS messages? That'd be nice to have as a software update. Cut and paste?

Posted by: Darren | June 6, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I want a Macbook Pro with a two-button touchpad and a REAL docking station.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

A simple request to add to the list. Easy function to record a phone conversation. This is essential for note taking when you can't write or be near a keyboard...

Posted by: Mike | June 6, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Lolol...all the traffic over WWJD..What Will Jesus...oops..Jobs Do?

Posted by: Jim | June 6, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, our wonderful Apple has failed bigtime to aquire service deals for iphone in China, Japan, Thailand, etc. I need service in Thailand.

Posted by: wayne | June 6, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Of course, since millions of the new iPhone have apparently already shipped..

"The Truth is out there"
...the Os X files

waaiiiiit forrr itt..

Posted by: Jim | June 6, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Quote Brendan; "If one of my users loses a Blackberry - i can go to be Blackberry Server and with a total of about 3 clicks - Wipe that handheld clean."

And what makes you think iPhone doesn't have that capability? Jobs demo'd that very feature when he introduced the iPhone.

Posted by: nanisani | June 6, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I am expecting him to unveil this Monday:

.Mac to .Me
- Cheaper subscription fees
- Revamped website and new features
- .Me free and premium membership

Announcement of new names of OS:
- Mac OSX Leopard
- Mac OSX Iphone

3G Iphone
- 3G capability
- 5 Megapixel Camera (with improved night mode)
- GPS capability
- App Store and Version 2.0 installed
- Tactile Feedback
- Video Conferencing feature with Front Camera (640x480)
- Improved stereo loudspeaker
- Redesigned 22% thinner and comes in 2 colors (black and white)
- Will be available sometime during the week (Tuesday or Friday)
- Subsidized pricing and is available in 32GB for $599
- Ipod Touch cost $100 less.
- Iphone 1st gen is $100 less and is free for 2 year contract.
- Iphone 2nd gen will be available in 16 & 32GB for $499 and $599 respectively.

Mac OSX Snow Leopard
- brief introduction to be available next year.

WHAT I WISH HE COULD SHOW UP:
- New Macbook (Redesigned)
- New Macbook Pro (Redesigned)
- Both laptops support Intel's latest

Posted by: Ejay | June 6, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I've been holding out for the 3G iPhone, but it looks fairly certain I'll get it. As a bonus it would be cool to have:

true GPS
better Camera with video
video chat
32GB
thinner

The software improvements already won me over like activesync and the app store.

Posted by: George | June 6, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and AT&T footing part of the bill

Posted by: George | June 6, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

All i want is a 16 GB 3G unlocked iphone for $200 with GPS

Posted by: J | June 6, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I can assure you the black mock turtleneck, for the first time, will be left home.

3G is in.
Canada Announcement re: July 31st.
New sub pro level mac without built in display.
Free .mac with purchase of $70 itunes per year.
Apple TV gets minor gaming ability via flash.
Steve Introduces a very important new player in the company.

Posted by: Noelio | June 6, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

That stimulus package is just burning a hole in my savings account, waiting for the new iPhone to be released. Thanks, W!

Posted by: Kimosabe | June 6, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

New macbook with more USB ports.
New iMac with more USB ports

Posted by: rjrjj | June 6, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

NextStep WAS the revolution. You might know it as OS X.

Posted by: aw | June 6, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I'd like:
3G iPhone
Built in GPS, and ability to use Bluetooth to connect to external BT GPS receiver
Flash for Safari
Copy and Paste (I can't stress how annoying it is not to have this!)
Enhanced SMS features, such as deletion of individual messages, abilty to forward messages, receiving and sending of MMS.
3rd Party App Developer Kit Installer
Ability to save Web Apps to use Offline
VNC Remote Control and Remote Access software for Mac and/or PC (give us Orb as standard application!)
And as for the price... why not put the price high, and offer rebates on the contracts... Apple then Win, Win, whether the end user activates the phone or not... ;-)

Posted by: Jamie | June 6, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

sms??copy and paste texts?????
Stopthinking PHONE start thinkin POCKETMAC

jeez forest for the trees gentlemen....

Posted by: cory | June 6, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I'd be happy to see them replace Spotlight with something that actually works.

Posted by: Sean C | June 6, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

KEYBOARD AND VERIZON DUH!

Posted by: Pierce | June 7, 2008 4:12 AM | Report abuse

whateva cory. Rename it iPocketMac if u have to.
Give me a proper task manager too.
And I'd like a hydrogen powered fuel cell as well.

Posted by: Jamie | June 7, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

whateva cory. Rename it iPocketMac if u have to.
Give me a proper task manager too.
And I'd like a hydrogen powered fuel cell as well.

Posted by: Jamie | June 7, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

not convinced even a new iphone will cut it. my nokia n95 is 1 year old and has pushmail, internet, office,gps,voice dialing,5meg camera,landscape anything,8meg memory, tv/video remote,mac compatible itunes,tv output,fm radio and the list just goes on and on.

Posted by: Bazza | June 7, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

how about a tablet? education users need one or will have to go Windows

Posted by: Scully | June 9, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

the wait is sooo tough! but G3 will do it for me and it'll be even better if AT&T picks us part of the tab...though an unlocked iphone would be better...then i could stay with Verizon. but i WILL get an iphone in october, if it's G3, no matter what.

Posted by: mollytjm | June 9, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

My desire:
1. an iPhone with a phone that works well.
2. an iPhone with at least the capability of a 5-year-old PDA for calendar and search capabilities.

Posted by: chrisviking | June 9, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

No, no, no, people!
My (Apple) dream: mac mini with Blue Ray DVD built in and HDMI connection. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: ivanjm | June 9, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

What ever happened to the screen camera which they patented in 2006?

Posted by: Great Southern Land | June 10, 2008 3:56 AM | Report abuse