What Did You Not Do (Online) For Your Summer Vacation?

Technically speaking, summer doesn't end for another few weeks. But the part of the season in which most of us take our summer vacations expires this weekend. (Note that because I'm chronically late at things, my own time off isn't happening until next week.)

So now seems a fair time to ask you all how much you unplugged during your own summer absences. Which of the following forms of communication did you abstain from during your vacation?

* your cell phone?
* work e-mail?
* home e-mail?
* instant messaging?
* RSS feeds?
* your own blog, if any?
* Facebook, MySpace or other social-networking site?
* Twitter?
* any other daily ingredient in your digital diet?

Sometimes the decision is made for you: Traveling to another country where your cell phone doesn't work is an excellent way to keep your vacation free of online distractions. Sometimes, you have to exercise some willpower or take some action before leaving to ensure that you won't be tempted (like removing your work e-mail account from your smartphone's mail software).

Tell me what you do without -- and what you wish you'd avoided doing online during your trip but succumbed to anyway.

By Rob Pegoraro  |  August 29, 2008; 9:19 AM ET
Categories:  Digital culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Microsoft's Photosynth Deepens Digital Photography
Next: How To E-Mail Me

Comments

I may not have had an official vacation this summer, but a long history of being tied to technology has demonstrated that if I have absolutely any possibility of access to the Internet, I'm stuck with e-mail. I always have my cell phone on me -- the one vacation I can remember not having it was when I went out of the country. I can usually get away from my own blog when I travel, but on the other hand, I'm compulsive about checking a few.

Maybe I should take up camping ...

Posted by: Doc | August 29, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

We were in Europe for a month. No RSS at all (though I spent weeks going back through them when I got home), I did send some Twitter messages to microblog, but did not check Twitter at all.

My own blog is a personal one that I use to tell my family what we are up to, so I was quite active with that.

No IM, but I hardly use it anyway.

I don't use any of the social networking sites. My daughter did check her Facebook account three or four times.

I did check home e-mail, but it was selective, looking only at messages from family and friends. And I had connectivity only in half of the hotels we were in, never carried my laptop with me while we were out and about, and my Verizon smartphone thankfully did not work in Europe.

Posted by: doog | August 29, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

What's a "summer vacation"?

Posted by: Ronnie | August 29, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Went to the UP of Michigan. Left technology behind.

Posted by: Ralphie | August 29, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

When I take a vacation, I take a vaction. Which means no communication devices at all.

Posted by: Doc C | August 30, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

In China for two weeks,
I left my cellphone at home (CDMA, so it wouldn't work anyway) only to find that everyone has a cellphone. The family I was visiting lent me a spare cellphone to use, but no USA calls.

I took an eee pc for personal email and uploading pictures and blogging. We found free wireless connections everywhere - hotels, even the hostels.

Absolutely no work.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

One Off topic is LCD coming to Market. Made by Sharp with Panasonic technology new ONE MILLION TO ONE Contrast LCD in 42" & 52" will start production in October, 2008. Looks like ordinary LCD on Table, yet its Most Advanced Ever, Details are pending.

Signed:PHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.

Posted by: thomasxstewart | August 31, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Opps: NOT 42". Heres Known Details.IFA The future of LCD TV technology is a contrast ratio of one million to one - so Sharp reckons, at least. It announced two such tellies today in an attempt to prove it.

The Aquos XS1 full HD screens are 52in and 65in jobs - that's the actually viewing size, Sharp said - and both feature three-colour LED backlighting to generate not only very deep blacks - we know, we've seen 'em - but colours that deliver 166 per cent of the European Broadcast Union's 'official' colour gamut.

Sharp's LC-XS1: blacker than black?

Sharp said it had been working withh Pioneer to develop a new thin speaker to deliver what it claimed will be "natural, clear sound" but we hope just sounds better than most LCD TVs do.

Signed:PHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.

Posted by: thomasxstewart | August 31, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

No e-books on laptop or smartphone. I went cold turkey and am hoping to have broken the addiction.

Posted by: fedesq | September 4, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse