Microsoft's New Message: I'm A PC

Perhaps Microsoft has finally gotten a little fed up with Apple's "Hello, I'm a Mac/And I'm a PC" ads (admit it, just reading that phrase has started that piano theme playing in your head).

Only weeks after starting a rather puzzling series of ads featuring Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld in "real-world" settings (in one ad, they try on shoes; in another, they move in with a regular family and hilarity ensues), Microsoft changed channels to launch a reply to those Apple ads.

The spot starts with a pasty-faced fellow, looking much like "PC" John Hodgman, who intones "Hello, I'm a PC. And I've been made into a stereotype." (This person is no actor; he's Sean Siler, a developer of networking software at Microsoft.) Siler is followed by dozens of other PC users who explain what they do or who they are: study genes, design jeans, blog for Obama, broadcast for McCain, sell fish, and so on. A few celebrities appear: Gates declares his PC-ness, adding "and I wear glasses." Deepak Chopra does the same then pronounces that "I'm a human being. Not a human doing, not a human thinking, a human being."

You can also view many more shorter clips, most apparently uploaded by random Windows users, at the same Microsoft site. My favorite: Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer's effusive declaration -- parodying some of his past rhetorical excesses -- that "I AM A PC, AND I LOVE THIS COMPANY!"

Perhaps less effective: One fellow's declaration that "I'm a PC and I like cheeese!" as he holds up slices of dairy goodness, or another user's statement that "I'm a PC, because I need the Control Alt Delete."

This ad campaign certainly works in terms of getting people to talk about Microsoft -- here I am writing about the ads, here you are reading about them. But unless this marketing message gets followed up by some concrete reasons to choose Windows over another operating system, I'm not sure if they'll get people to follow up with their credit cards.

Apple's "Think Different" campaign was largely gauzy idealism, but it was replaced by those "Switch" ads and, more recently, the "I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC" clips -- most of which emphasize specific Apple advantages, like a Mac's backup tools or multimedia capabilities.

What say you about Microsoft's new marketing? And, of course: Are you a PC?

By Rob Pegoraro  |  September 19, 2008; 11:19 AM ET
Categories:  Windows
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: iPod, Therefore I Write
Next: Personal-Finance Tools For Stressful Times

Comments

"Life Without Walls" - Except when Typing "Democracy" Evidently in Microsoft's "Live Search"

Posted by: Anthony Gronowicz | September 19, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I think the ad campaign is genius.

Posted by: Sam | September 19, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Sure I am on a PC, but I would rather run Linux on it than MS. Does this make me a Mac as well?

Posted by: Tom | September 19, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I tried to watch the video on the MS website on a PC and it froze up IE. I don't think I need to say more.

Posted by: MAC User | September 19, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

At work, I'm a PC, because big tax software vendors don't know what a Mac is, and I'm frankly quite happy with my PCs.

At home, I'm a google. Long gone are the days where I really needed Excel and Word at home. While indispensible in the office, at home, Google Docs works perfect... and its free.

Posted by: Gary | September 19, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I love the ad. Apple is much less about substance than it is about panache. "Buy an Apple because it is the cool thing to do..." never mind the fact that you're locked into no freedom with the hardware you're picking. If it doesn't have the stamp of approval of Big Brother, err I mean Apple, then you can't really use it. The funniest part of Apple is that the people it's trying to bring aboard and who have fallen prey to its hype are the same people who profess themselves as free thinkers. Free thinking involves choices Apple likes to give me their choices, at a crazy premium. I for one would rather have my own.

Posted by: Kerim | September 19, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

At one point a man in a shark cage holds up a sign that reads "I'm a PC" on one side and "and I'm scared" on the other. You better be scared or the Microsoft sharks will eat you. We gotta save that guy.

Posted by: MAC user | September 19, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"But unless this marketing message gets followed up by some concrete reasons to choose Windows over another operating system, I'm not sure if they'll get people to follow up with their credit cards."

Well, I beg to differ. The "I'm a Mac" ads never really sold much computers for Apple (although it may seem that way). The ads just made its customers feel 'cool'. How much of the world's desktops run on Windows again? Apple is nowhere near close to overtaking PCs. It's good that Microsoft felt it needed to answer. MS users have taken a beating and they're standing up for us (about time). I'm a PC too :) And I don't feel it's necessary to beat up the other guy just to feel 'cool', but I still want an iPhone :P

Posted by: echu@pinoypie.com | September 19, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I've got a PC. Don't have many problems with it. I've never personally owned a Mac, so I'm not really qualified to say anything about them. The PC runs fine 99% of the time though (Windows XP).

Posted by: Jason | September 19, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Microsoft Certified Professional and a Systems Administrator. My job is to manage Windows Servers.

At home, I use a MAC.

Posted by: Microsoft Certified Professional | September 19, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

The new ads are an escape from the Seinfeld, and I remain happy at towards the end of the ad. "Windows not Walls" or whatever the devil the mantra is. It becomes quite apparent that Microsoft is attempting to do all they can to diffuse the bomb and let everyone know that it really ISN'T VISTA that we need to be mad at-- Oh no, no, no! The problem is much bigger. And it works! It slaps me across the face with the genius of a socialist marketing message with a hint of passive aggressiveness woven together with a strong Peer Pressure and the scent of elite debonnaire:

"Damnit, these guys are putting up with Vista Problems and you should too! Join the regime and GET BACK IN LINE, comrade!"

Posted by: Doesn't fix Vista | September 19, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm a PC because I work, play, stay informed, shop, research, network, stay in touch, design Web sites, and I like to have a wide choice of tools and interoperability! And Oh, almost forgot: I don't want to spend more money than I have to. I used to be a Mac until I got tired of hearing "it's not available for Mac." Then I found out that Windows was just as good and better.

Posted by: Alicia | September 19, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Do tell.I see a few tracks in your muddy water.

Posted by: c1c22walker | September 19, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I had a friend you was a delivery person and once while making a delivery to a Microsoft branch office he noticed the office was using Macs. Owned.

Posted by: MAC user | September 19, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

300 million dollars for an add with jerry seinfeld and tay didnt think that maybe itd be more efective to drop prices i mean vista is way overpriced. especially when its available on isohunt.com and on demonoid for free. anyone who knows how to mount a dvd image file can have vista for free. (i have a mac dual booting vista ultimate and i git it for free)

Posted by: sebastian | September 19, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Im a PC. Im a college educated, honors graduated, computer tech and web programmer. And because i have used both, I happy as a PC

Posted by: Josh | September 19, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Tom it makes MAD not MAC

Posted by: to TOM | September 19, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't really care what the ad campaigns say, I like to make my own decisions based on facts, and what I personally want and need. I don't need overpaid people telling me to buy a product.

Posted by: Free Thinker | September 19, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Linux PC and I hate monopolies! Hear that Evil Steve Jobs? BWAAAAH HAAAAA HAAA HAAAA! Save the Earth, stomp on an iPod today! Save a brain, slap a white earbud wearing user upside the head and lead him away from the Evil Cupertino empire!

Posted by: Joop deBruin | September 19, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm really enjoying "Life without Windows" on my mac....

Posted by: Daniel | September 19, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Microsoft DOES NOT make pc's. They sell software, much of it they did not even make it themselves.
That's their story, starting with Bill buying the D.O.S. for very little and selling it for so much. Then the monopoly of all new pc's to come with Windows pre-installed is quite illegal, and sadly no one stopped it. It Microsoft were a computer maker and seller, then that's be OK, but not as it is now and has sadly been for years.

Posted by: El Mugroso | September 19, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Kerim: ""Buy an Apple because it is the cool thing to do..." never mind the fact that you're locked into no freedom with the hardware you're picking."

Or you can buy a PC that locks you into Windows.

Your choice, dude.

Posted by: pdq | September 19, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm a penguin

Posted by: Jimbo | September 19, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Nice Ad.

I love my vista tablet pc, pocket pc and ubuntu desktop.. plug in any device and their OS picks it up..

Mac is too much hype and too restricted for my taste.

Posted by: Sumit | September 19, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm a PC. I am a human being. I use Linux for human beings. I use Ubuntu.

Posted by: Norm | September 19, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm a pc. I use windows to surf the net, develop software, listen to music, shop, stream video to my xbox, send and receive faxes, make voip calls to my family for free. Yes, I'm a PC. Windows Vista Ultimate.

Posted by: brian | September 19, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

This entire set of ads from both MS and Apple are absurd. Whether a PC runs Windows or LINUX or MAC, its STILL A PC. Apple ad should go "I am a Mac and I'm a Windows". How double standard can you get by not admitting you are a PC as well if you run MAC.

Posted by: Anu | September 19, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I am a rocking, computing Penguin that laughs at all the oh fay Mac Fan Bois and their utter clueless understanding of computing.

All lined up to buy the next kiddie toy at the Apple store. Perhaps they should start wearing wrist supporters, they look strange with their limp wrists.

Posted by: Kev in AZ | September 19, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

im a slave to xp, but from what I have seen from vista and the 2007 programs I will switch to something else with my next computer purchase

UI is very important and there is ZERO reason to change it and every reason to keep it the same. Microsoft is lame.

Posted by: xpslavetohidefromvista | September 19, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

MS claiming they are a PC is disingenuous. They aren't PCs. They simply are one of many OSes that run ON PCs. In fact, Mac could now claim to be a PC since they use Intel processors.

Stupid ad campaign.

Posted by: adman | September 19, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"Life without walls" leaves no need for Windows.

Posted by: Bryan | September 19, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"Kerim , what the h*ll are you talking about? You _do_ know that Mac hardware can run Windows now, and thus with a Mac you can run _any_ program on _any_ platform, right?"

Posted by: greg | September 19, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

pdq, you seem to be confused by the difference between software and hardware...

Posted by: sbt | September 19, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Gary has it right.

I'm a PC, and I've died. I'm moving on up to the Cloud.

Posted by: James | September 19, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

it's all marketing. what are you? a mac or a pc? rubbish.

if you do graphics, buy a mac.
if you like games, buy a pc.
if you take work home, buy what you work with.

Posted by: Nho | September 19, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I was a PC, now I'm a Mac and I'll never go back to the 'right click' ever again.

Posted by: Alexandra | September 19, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I like the add. It's interesting, and it brings up the point that not all of the people who use PC's are corporate business types. I would agree with the first like that it has turned into a stero-type.

I use to use PC's all the time. However, after having to rebuild my hard drive 6 times (in 1 year), I switched to Mac. That was 2 years ago and I haven't gone back. I love my Mac(s).

Posted by: I'm a Mac | September 19, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I use Linux at work where I develop software. I spend plenty of time debugging website issues on the Mac and PC. I don't mind the Mac and I wouldn't mind owning one just to get more comfortable with the OS. However, I really can't stand the people I know that own Macs. They seem to be exactly like that Mac boy in the commercials. Smug, know-it-alls who think there better than you. When I want to get work done I use Linux, when I want to play I use a PC.

Posted by: Big Denali | September 19, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Ubuntu, I love you! Linux outperforms any Mac at every measure.

I installed 18 PCs with Ubuntu on them at a local senior citizens' center. Not a single minute of down time in the past 19 months, and there have been plenty of grandkids emailing me asking how they can get an "Ubuntu computer" because it is in the words of one teen "way hotter than a Mac."

Yes Timmy, there truly is computing freedom for Humans. It is called Linux. And Ubuntu is knocking down the walls that Apple and Microsoft put up to cage you in.

Posted by: Speech Recognition Guru | September 19, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"hilarity ensues"...it is anything but hilarity. While they may have people talking, the ads are crap and have no message. Like the apple ads or not, they do have a message. Marketing 101.

Posted by: Mark | September 19, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I admit it. I actually liked the Microsoft ad (I'm a Mac *and* a PC).

While MSFT hit the point home, it actually played right into Apple's hands -- almost anything XP/Vista does, Apple OS X does better, and for the exact same profile of people Microsoft featured in the ad.

Posted by: Rahul | September 19, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Felt compelled to comment on how many losers there are on this post

Posted by: Who Cares | September 19, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alexandra | September 19, 2008 1:39 PM

Sorry, what? Right click is difficult? LOL

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who knows anything about computers knows that the answer to all of this is the combination of all 3...

1. PC's far reaching compatability
2. MAC's design interface and pre-installed software.
3. Linux's security and ability to customize and control in only ways an open-source product can.

Posted by: CCCCOOmbo Breaker | September 19, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I am laughing at all the Apple fan bois (Google it) who slammed Microsoft for being "evil". Yet they are perfectly fine sniffing the digestive tract of Steve Jobs at his command.

If it weren't for Apple fanatics, Microsoft would be depressing.

Thanks Steve Jobs for showing Bill Gates what true evil looks like.

Go Linux baby!

Posted by: Apple is Evil | September 19, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I also run Linux, two flavors and use XP as a back-up. Triple boot, I say.

Posted by: Suse Unbuntu | September 19, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm a penguin.

I used be a D.O.S.

Posted by: Andrew | September 19, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I am not a number, I am a free man!

Posted by: No.6 | September 19, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Dang straight I'm a PC. I like getting work done, gaming, & communicating with general society, instead of an elite group of starving potheads.

Posted by: Newt | September 19, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

HA! The MSFT ads bombed. I hate the Apple ads, that twirp is such a f a g g o t.

The Penguin pwns Mac and Windows!

Posted by: Keith | September 19, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I am a PC, and I love NewEgg.com!

Everyone is griping about Vista. I use XP at work, and have built three PCs for under $400 each, running Windows 2000, and recently XP Pro. I know just enough to assemble the hardware and load the software, most of which I have purchased through NewEgg. To me, this is freedom. I'd go with Linux, but so far, my W2K machines keep going and going...as long as MS hasn't hidden a timebomb in the OS, I'm dumb and happy.

I find most commercials annoying, but the Mac ones are actually entertaining.

Posted by: Quinn | September 19, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm a PC and I run Linux on it.

Posted by: PenguinIsCool | September 19, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

when using a MAC you are STILL "right clicking" just instead you use the mouse AND keyboard. Two or three button mice are much better. (on any OS)

Posted by: Jon | September 19, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

i use a PC with ubuntu linux. the free software options are unbelievable, and i don't have DRM or any other type of programming overlord telling me what programs i can use with what files. try it out - you can run it in windows, run it next to windows, and if you end up liking it as much as i did - completely remove windows from your system and just run linux.

Posted by: w.g.hanna | September 19, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

ROTFLMAO! Look at all of the Linux fans here! Add one more for me. Why in the world someone would want to stick themselves with an Apple is beyond me. And if you're going to buy a PC, why not run the fastest, most capable OS? Linux is the cat's meow.

Posted by: Carl in Kalamazoo | September 19, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

They just need to run this ad.

Posted by: Rose | September 19, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Rose, thanks for the YouTube parody. It's hilarious, I just sent the link out to a bunch of my friends.

And wasn't the description of the Mac idiot on the mark?

Posted by: Carl in Kalamazoo | September 19, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

If you haven't tried Linux yet, you don't know what you are missing. Compared to either MacOS OR Windows, they both seem like mud once you try Linux. I'm never going back to either one. I am now a free man.

Posted by: Aaron | September 19, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm a gamer, and a techie, therefore I like PC. What happens if a MAC breaks down, its junk or you have to send it in. If my PC breaks, I can fix it on my own for a fraction of the price. One more thing...I like right click.

Posted by: Kimpak | September 19, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

1. If MS hadn't blown $10M on Seinfeld, they wouldn't have to use MS employees to make the new ads. (It's almost a given that, what with EVERYONE knowing the level of scumbags being dealt with, Seinfeld's lawyers got him his $10 Mil up front).

2. Why is MS doing this? Because it knows that investing that $300M in fixing its software is far, far too little. It's more of a bargain to TELL us that the emperor has new clothes than to actually MAKE the new clothes.

3. Real operating system, anyone? You know where to look.

Posted by: tfosorcim | September 19, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm a mac who uses his PC as a paperweight

Posted by: toki | September 19, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Interesting how similar the heated debate between MAC and PC supporters is to the heated debate between McCain and Obama supporters.
Ubuntu for President!

Posted by: Bill | September 19, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Aaron,
Ain't it the truth! I've been free for ten years exactly. No Crapple for me. I have Windoze running under KVM for the very few apps that I must run under Windoze. KVM's much easier than running Wine. Also gives me a shot at trying a lot of new apps in a secure environment.

Carl

Posted by: Carl in Kalamazoo | September 19, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm a P . . . "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

Posted by: Rocky | September 19, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Frank_WNC | September 19, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm bored. This blog is a continuation of the IBM vs. Apple wars of the 1980's. Here are the facts: Vista is crap, and frankly, I'm not impressed with Apple's OS either. Ubuntu Linux is the way to go, folks.

Posted by: Danny K. | September 19, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I am a PC, but I want to run more than the 10 application available on the MAC.

Posted by: Tony | September 19, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm a PC, at least until Autodesk starts making AutoCAD for Mac

Posted by: Brian | September 19, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Bill,
"Ubuntu for President!"

Yeah man. I'd prefer a penguin over those two jerks.

Bob Barr in '08 for this guy.

Posted by: Carl in Kalamazoo | September 19, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm an android. I come from the future.

Posted by: o | September 19, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The only problem w/ Vista is its gotten a bad image from the media, due to PC makers trying to sell it on underpowerd hardware. It would be like trying to run XP on a computer w/ 256mb of ram. Sure it will work,but run like crapola. Linux would be cool if I could run my games on it w/o having to be a code monkey to hack it into compatability.

Posted by: Kimpak | September 19, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

i have a macbook pro and can run linux and windows anytime i need them through vmware fusion. why choose just one os when you can use any of them anytime you want. i use my mac os for graphic intensive apps and run xp virtually when i need to write some code in .net. they're all tools, just use the ones you need.

Posted by: usetherighttool | September 19, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

GO UBUNTU LINUX!!!

(or Debian, Red Hat, Puppy, Suse, Fedora, Etc......)

There is Plenty of Penguin to go around. Help Yourself to some freedom.

Posted by: Ubuntu MAN | September 19, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm a human being. I don't think Bill Gates or Steve Jobs are members of my species - they appear to be aliens in disguise.

Posted by: A. C. Clarke | September 19, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I was a Mac, but now I'm a PC. I used to be able to semi-afford Macs with student discount deals, but I'm too old now, so I use cheaper PCs. They're not as cool, but I'm old and don't pretend to be cool anymore by associating myself with my desktop & laptop. I just need to get my crap done without breaking the bank for the device to help me do it.

Posted by: Frampton | September 19, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

People's tendency to identify themselves so fanatically with a computer platform baffles me. It's simply a matter of personal preference, and there are various reasons for going with one or the other. Personally, I like Macs -- but it's choice, not a religion. If PCs come up with something I like better, I'd switch in an instant.

As for the Microsoft ad campaign... Well, they fact that they are so precisely responding to Apple's campaign says something in itself. In other words, MS may be leading in market share, but they are following in terms of strategy to try to stay there. (Windows itself was a response to the original Mac operating system interface.)

Posted by: Chuck | September 19, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Just because MS paid Seinfeld to huck Windows does not make me interested in buying their OS. Would've rather seen them spend that money on development. But someone already elluded to the fact that it would've cost exceedingly more to fix problems, rather than pay someone famous to tell you their fixed. And if my life has no walls, then where do I put the windows? Stupid idiots.

Posted by: Mr. Mac | September 19, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I am a PC, and I like having more than one button on a mouse.

I am a PC, and I believe it's idiotic to put "Ctrl" anywhere but on the very bottom left edge of a keyboard.

I am a PC, and I believe in function over form.

I am a PC, and Safari sucks, stop forcing me to download it.

I am a PC, and I don't think charging suckers $800 upgrading to 4GB laptop ram is fair (they really do! check yourself!).

I am a PC, and I'm smart enough to set up a HTPC instead of buying that POS Apple TV.

Posted by: Bill G. | September 19, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Chuck...
I thought it was in response to GEOS for Amiga/Commodore. Well it was built off that platform anyway.

Posted by: Kimpak | September 19, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

As with most Microsoft products this ad campaign required a re-boot after a fatal crash. This ad snafu highlights the problematic PC-ness of being a PC. I use a PC at work because I have to. But, it is a daily exercise in the futility a flawed mindset. I can't tell you how happy I was to see the Mac commercials. It's not about being cool, it's just a better operating system. Vive la Mac!

Posted by: Thomas | September 19, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Just like Microsoft. Always on the defensive and never coming up with anything original...

Posted by: Davy Crocket | September 19, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The ad is a desparate cliche contrived attempt to make Windows and Microsoft appear cool...Mich Matthews and gang couldn't market anything to save their lives and Microsoft really doesn't care whether it works because they already have 99% of PC OS market sewn up before it ships....it's amazing the marketing group has jobs given the money they waste and it's non effectiveness....the only winner is Cripin Porter because they got paid to make the ads although in the end even their brilliance couldn't save the campaign

Posted by: Bored | September 19, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm a PC. I'm not a Macintologist. I don't proclaim my hardware preferences on my car with the apple sticker (the computer equivalent of a Jesus fish). Both platforms get the job done, but I get tired of the religious fervor of the Macintologists ...

Posted by: dave | September 19, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

nho writes "it's all marketing. what are you? a mac or a pc? rubbish.

if you do graphics, buy a mac."

The idea that Mac's are better for graphics was maybe true in the very early 90's, but it's been a meme without a shred of truth ever since. For most of the time since, Mac's have been considerably worse for graphics due to underpowered overpriced hardware and lack of software choice. As a professional animator, Macs have never had anything to offer me until they finally abandoned their worthless Motorola chips and went Intel. Since then they've achieved parity with PCs in terms of horsepower, but their OS is still hobbled by lack of software, and they're still WAY overpriced. Even though their current hardware is quite nice, I will never buy a Mac. The smug dishonesty of their advertising has left too bad a taste in my mouth.

Posted by: Chip_M | September 19, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I am a mac.
I was a PC.
Microsoft is trying hard, but I think they need to fix the software/computers not the advertisements.

Posted by: Brian | September 19, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Ad agencies are over paid.

Posted by: Zeke | September 19, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Just quoting C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER for the truth...

1. PC's far reaching compatability
2. MAC's design interface and pre-installed software.

PC>mac in most ways, not all though.

If I were to do anything with video/audio editing I would like to use a mac. When I am in the creative/problem solving mood I love linux. Anything else give me XP.

AMIRITE GUIZ?!

Posted by: Sarij | September 19, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Windows is so last century. I wouldn't trade my mac for anything.

peace

Posted by: L | September 19, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm a penguin...

Linux, live free or die.

Posted by: Brad | September 19, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Things I really wonder about are...

Why do so many of the common people have to always take sides on issues? Why not cooperate/collaborate?
For me as an user, I would much rather that MS/Apple/Linux products could run all applications/programs in all platforms, without being "Bound" to any specific hardware. I just think it will be nice the day operating systems are invisible/not needed for users to spend time with, learning, fixing, tweaking. Rather spending time on the actual "Task/Job" users really need to achieve, even if it is to read the News here.
Turn on and use it.
;)

Posted by: George Alex | September 19, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I use both | September 19, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

greg: "You're the first person I've ever seen who doesn't know the difference between hardware and software."

nope- just don't understand why PC folks complain about Mac users being "locked in" when we can run _any_ program on _any_ OS, and PC users are stuck with Windows. (and _Vista_ on any new PC, despite the fact that most would choose XP)

If you want to build your own or buy the cheapest possible, by all means, sign up with Billy. Otherwise, don't delude yourself about "freedom"- you have fewer choices about the important, non-commodity stuff than I do.

Posted by: pdq | September 19, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

It is not so much as placing a better ad, but the fact that you are out there advertising and communicating who and what you are, using everyday people for content. Ubiquity through advertising will trump even the best gadgets that receive little publicity. The success of the Mac ads is the result of using everyday people regularly.

Who knew AIG was going under prior to this week. Their ads were all over the Olympics.

Posted by: It's all about communicating ubiquitously | September 19, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

By the way..
I'm not a Mac, PC or DoS for that matter..
I'm George Alex, and I like PC's the most!
;)

Posted by: George Alex | September 19, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"Is anyone else disturbed at how the computer of choice seems to be an issue of religion. It's a computer. Some like one. Some like another. So what?"

Exactly. It's a tool, not a lifestyle choice.

Posted by: Chip_M | September 19, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I have a PC at work, because I have no choice. I've had more clitches, crashes, and unexplainable behavior with this machine than I have in my 20+ years of personally owning Apple products. If I had the same results with Macs, I would have shifted from the a long time ago. I have yet to lose 1 byte of data, or had to reload the OS to get back on track. As it stands, they are the one product that I can count on. Everything runs seamless, and you don't have to be a computer geek to figure it out. It don't get any simpler than that.

Posted by: AZMac | September 19, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Dang man just give me Lexapro, and stop refusing who you are,"just addmit you're a dang computer."

Posted by: Joe | September 19, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I'm a modern human being. There are Windows, Mac, and Linux machines available to me scattered all over my life. I use them all, mostly interchangeably. I love the web, open source, and open standards. I look forward to having all three of those runtime environments, and more, running simultaneously and seamlessly on one computer.

Posted by: BeeTee | September 19, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm a PC, and several important apps used by the 1000 or so employees at this university don't run on a Mac. (But here's hoping for a switch to Linux soon.)

Posted by: michael | September 19, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

NEWSFLASH:

Put lipstick on a Vaio, it's still Vista.

Posted by: Winrar! | September 19, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

20 years a PC user. I started with Windows 3.1. Then I upgraded to Windows 95, but I had to buy a new PC to run it. OK, then came Windows 98 and Millennium. I upgraded to WIN98, but I had to buy a larger hard drive and double my RAM to run it. Then came Windows XP and you guessed it, but my old PC had reached it's limits. I shelled out more money for a new PC.

Then Vista showed up on the shelves. My IT Administrator at work adamantly refused to upgrade our work PCs. I took note.

So... I bought a Mac. It's terrific. I use it for everything.

I still have the old Windows machine. It has an even larger hard disk and I maxed out the RAM. It takes forever to boot because of all the Microsoft Junkware. I renewed the annual virus software subscription ($$$) so I reckon I'll keep it another year.

Commercials starring a 90's Comedian or a Rah-Rah 'I'm a PC' ad will not get me to buy another Windows Operating System.

Microsoft could get me back with a compact and tight Operating System that's not a resource hog.

Microsoft's culture will never allow that.

Posted by: ccAudi | September 19, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm a ghost..

Posted by: Casper Ghost | September 19, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Following up on El Mugroso writing "Then the monopoly of all new pc's to come with Windows pre-installed is quite illegal, and sadly no one stopped it."
Actually the previous Administration (D) got a conviction, but Microsoft ran out the clock. The current Administration (R) gave the Microsoft case the same treatment they gave the Wall Street connivers. It is time to get back to that unfinished business before we are faced with a failing national information infrastructure and a Microsoft that is "too big to fail."

Posted by: I'mAMacAndProudOfIt | September 19, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm a PC... appropriate for people who know how to open a computer and upgrade or modify them.

Posted by: epthorn | September 19, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

My Tablet PC makes me very happy, every day again for 3 years now... Three years... so time for a new one, a new Tablet PC ! Thanks Microsoft !

Posted by: Dutch Lennard in Sweden | September 19, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, computer systems are tools.

Mac users are tools

People that use PCs are not tools

People that use Linux on PCs don't bow down to anyone.

Mac users bow down, forehead on the ground and beg Steve Jobs for his indulgence.

Posted by: Steve Jobs I'm Not | September 19, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I have a Vaio with Vista and it sucks!!!
If more than 2 windows are open it crashes.

Just opening my home page news articles is an exercise in restraint...I restrain myself from putting my fist through the screen as it crashes over and over!

God forbid I want to open Outlook or Word at the same time as my home page...another crash and burn!

I would like someone at Microsoft to visit me and fix Vista instead of paying someone like Jerry Seinfeld millions to do some esoteric BS ad that trys to tell me how wonderful my PC is...Every time I saw those ads I wanted to vomit!

Posted by: Lynne | September 19, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"I really can't stand the people I know that own Macs. They seem to be exactly like that Mac boy in the commercials. Smug, know-it-alls who think there better than you. When I want to get work done I use Linux, when I want to play I use a PC."
Exactly what I was thinking. Apple users seem to be the most uninformed bunch of people in the computing world. Apple is 10X the monopoly that MS is. You can't leaglly run OSX on anything but Apple hardware. My girlfriend is forced to use Macs where she works. Every once in a while she'll ask me to trouble shoot her Crapintosh. OSX is in no way more user friendly then Windows. I mean come on, I have to "mount" a drive just to access it. In windows that happens automatically. I plug in my MP3 player, NOT an IPod, and it just pops up in my computer. My girlfriend plugs her's into her mac and has to go jump through hoops to make it accessable. I've been using Vista for a while now, maybe 10 or 12 months. It has not crashed once in that time. Sure I have had programs quit on me, but that is not Windows fault it is the software's issues.

I love the PC and Mac commercial with the yoga chick complaing about how Vista lost all of her accounting data. Its not Vistas fault that your accounting software's publisher can't make a decent piece of software. Stop blaming the OS for crappy 3rd party applications.

Posted by: The only smart one here | September 19, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Lynne...

That doesn't sound like a windows problem, that sounds like you have a computer problem. Is your computer even good enough to run vista?

If were using anecdotal evidince, I have 3 PC's one a laptop all running Vista perfectly, smoothly, fast. That beats your one bad lappy, that means Vista is better. (make sure your sarcasim meter is calibrated for this post)

Posted by: Kimpak | September 19, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

So why is MS mad about MAC ad. That ad makes no sence coz it assumes that PC is synonimous with MS. MS is no PC, it's like saying my car is Shell since it is running on gasoline!

Posted by: tindo | September 19, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

First of all, I think "Think Different" is seriously stupid. It should be "think differently" but they are wrong and rather proud of being wrong in a very arrogant Appple way. "Yes we know and we do not care."

So far as Vista goes, I have two computers and both run it very well and I have had no problems with it. End of story. It must be a bit of insider jargon (so they think ) to say "Oh yes, I know about computers and do not use Vista." Perhaps they need some new hardware.

Posted by: Gary E. Masters | September 19, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

.. and ghosts use Microsoft Windows XP Professional... Zombies use MAC (they can't think for themselves, so they have to let Steve do it for them).....

Posted by: Casper Ghost | September 19, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

----------

Posted by: Macvangelist | September 19, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Mac since 1983.

MFST at work seriously decreases productivity.
See for example Keynote vs. Powerpoint.

Posted by: Palo Alto is Perfect | September 19, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I am a Mac user, and I can spell.

Posted by: ScienceTim | September 19, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

yeah

Posted by: test | September 19, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

apples rule

Posted by: apple | September 19, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm a PC.

Posted by: bill gates | September 19, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Simply put, the "I'm a PC" campaign is a complete disaster. When even the Associated Press describes an ad as "bizarre," you know you're in trouble. Seeing Bill Gates shake his a** at Jerry Seinfeld was pure surrealism. How does the "world without walls" slogan relate to "I'm a PC"? The message is mixed, and some of the comments are simply ludicrous ("I'm a PC and I want to save the dolphins"). Just what are they smoking over at Microsoft?

Don't believe the propaganda about what a great operating system Vista is. The new features in Vista exist for two reasons: to restrict access to content (i.e. the over-the-top DRM restrictions), and to attack Microsoft's competition (e.g. XPS is a direct assault on PDF and exists for no other reason). These features don't actually do anything for the end-user, but Microsoft doesn't care about the end-user. They still have a virtual monopoly over their user base, so they can ignore the needs of their users. This is the fundamental reason why Vista is a rancid pile of garbage. Don't get your hopes up -- the next version of the OS won't be any better.

Now, I'm not foolish enough to believe that Apple would be any more benevolent if they ruled the world, but the fact is that they don't -- even though they are gaining market share in leaps and bounds. This means that Apple has to focus on introducing new features like Time Machine which actually benefit the end-user. I use both Macs and PCs every single day, and despite its flaws, the Mac is the clear winner. Oh, and by the way, their ads are actually FUNNY...

Posted by: Steve | September 19, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

This is all a silly ploy. Apple will continue to cultivate the trendy image, but for practicality's sake MS will continue to reign.

Posted by: Observer | September 19, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

PALIN BACKED RON PAUL? www.veeppeek.com

YESTERDAY MORE CAME OUT ABOUT SARAH PALINS ALLEDGED AFFIAR. www.hotpres.com

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

At work I'm a Windows PC user. At home I'm a Mac user. My wife has been a Mac user since the 1990s. I never need the CTRL-ALT-DEL key on a MAC, though I occasionally have to force quit an application.

Posted by: Dan | September 19, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Rob,

Nothing better to do on Fri. afternoon than start a Mac/PC flamewar? :)

From a sociological standpoint, the animosity some people have toward people with a different OS is fascinating.

Folks, they're just machines. If we were talking about refrigerators, would it be worth it to flame me for having a Kenmore just because you have a Fridgedair?

Okay, now, everybody take a deep breath, and head outside for some sunshine.

Posted by: NW DC | September 19, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

The latest Microsoft Ads are getting the blue screen of death! (video)

Posted by: CamDotCom | September 19, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

It's kind of funny to see a Windows vs Mac vs Linux debate use the acronym PC, when they all run on Personal Computers. Similarly funny to see Linux being touted as way better than Mac and Windows, when the Mac OS is Linux with the Mac GUI running on top. So, if Linux is WAY better than Mac and PC, then Mac must be ipso facto better than PC. Or, is Mac better than both because it has the obviously much better Linux kernel with the obviously better Mac GUI running on top? My head hurts thinking about this, I'm going to have a generic BEER. 4 letters, universally accepted. BEER.

Posted by: macman | September 19, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Bringing up the control/alt/delete thing doesn't sound like a good idea. Having to do that so often is one of the reasons I'm thinking of buying a Mac next. I can't say whether that is the answer for me, but I'm so tired of things not working, things crashing, etc.

Posted by: Sarabeth | September 19, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

All the PC people are PC people until they get a virus. Then they are blue screen-of-porn-spamming-death. Linux, because it runs as reliably as a Mac, eats viruses for lunch unlike Windows, and is cheaper than both. Oh, and you can virtually boot a windows machine under linux and have all that software too. What's not to like?

Posted by: Jorge Gortex | September 19, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Keith said:
"I hate the Apple ads, that twirp is such a f a g g o t."

Obviously this is a very homophobic, stupid and offensive statement. It is a generalization, but I am pretty sure I don't personally know any Apple users who would say something hateful like that.

Posted by: efstewart | September 19, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"Are you sure you know how to use the Mac? Both your description of accessing the hard drive and the iPod sound completely off. I never have to "mount" a drive and when I plug in the iPod it immediately shows up on both my desktop and iTunes...I don't have to do anything..."

Yes thats because you are using two apple products together. If you should, god forbid, try to plug a non apple device into a mac, it is a pain in the ass to get the Mac to even recognize it exsists let alone try to access it.

Posted by: The only smart one here | September 19, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Windows and Linux for me. The only people who make a living with a Mac are artsy-fartsy graphics artists and musicians. Even the network dweebs practice their "vi" and "emacs" voodooism on Sun servers and Linux boxes. The Mac is a pretty toy, no matter how many times washingtonpost.com runs that stupid ad from Apple on their front page.

Posted by: what earns the bread ... | September 19, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Red Hat LINUX PC

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm a PC! That makes me so uncool. But I dont mind.

Posted by: Kadz | September 19, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

There will be little use for PCs or MACs when the computers are in our brains.

Posted by: Greazygrin | September 19, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Bill Gates should do a commercial himself
"I'm a lucky guy. In the beginning, IBM picked my mediocre OS when the other company's exec went on fishing trip. To celebrate my luck to be the richest man, today, I'm giving every Windows user $50!"

Posted by: larry | September 19, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Rob, the new Microsoft ads were produced on Macintosh computers and the sound was done in Garageband and Pro Tools. Says it all.

Posted by: Podesta | September 19, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Seinfeld's shtik was always standing in for the big "nothing." Some people found it funny; many didn't. None actually took him seriously. Is this really the media persona you want representing and advertising your product, regardless of its actual merit?

Posted by: Josquindesprez | September 19, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Hi! I'm a PC when I'm editing video, and a Mac when running my business....how messed up is that :)

Posted by: genzo | September 19, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Life became much simpler for me, and my office, when we finally switched everything over to Linux.

I'm perfectly content to let the lemmings dance to Microsoft's tune, or Apple's. We cover every base in the office on a system that runs open source.

Good night Bill.
Good night Steve.
Good night moon.

Posted by: Lawyer John | September 19, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Mac first and foremost. I've also been a PC for years. (OK, I don't really call it a PC. I call it an LC, for "lemming computer." Sometimes I call it a "pee cee.")

Given the relative market shares of the Mac OS and Windows, does anyone find it odd that MS feels threatened by the Mac? Like the Mac OS is going to put Microsoft out of business!?

That leaves only one answer in my mind: the inferiority complex. MS are bothered by the fact that their OS is just about good enough to be called a third-rate rip-off of the Mac OS. MS should laugh all the way to the bank and celebrate its near monopoly and forget about being the best, because if that was going to happen it would have happened by now. It hasn't. In five years MS will have a third-rate copy of today's Mac OS, but Apple will have moved onward and upward. 'Twas ever thus.

As to the quality of the ad, I thought it was pretty good. MS's OS may be a third-rate copy of the Mac OS, but they did much better with this ad in comparison with Apple's "I'm a Mac-I'm a PC campaign. Microsoft's new ad is a solid second-rate rip-off.

Has MS *ever* had an original idea, one it could call its own without being laughed at or sued or charged under the criminal code, or all three?

Posted by: David Illig | September 19, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Why can't I run mac on my PC?

Posted by: mikie44 | September 19, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Sun, Sun Solaris.

Posted by: Sun | September 19, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm a PC - I have to be!!

Posted by: Doors are better than Windows | September 19, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

"...here I am writing about the ads, here you are reading about them."

The only reason I'm reading about them is to see how yet another high priced initiative by Microsoft has failed. Without their monopoly, they would unable to compete.

Posted by: Zap B. | September 19, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

People, the Gates/Seinfeld ads have not been canceled, they have been stopped. Huge difference! Chris Flores, head of MS marketing or something explains on the Vista Blog:

" So there seems to be the rumor running around that we’re supposedly cancelling our Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld ads tomorrow. I wouldn’t count on anything being “cancelled”. It was always the plan to have Jerry Seinfeld in the first phase of the campaign and not a part of every ad. Instead, our Windows Consumer Campaign is moving into the next phase and we did mention previously that you should expect the campaign to evolve. I’ll direct you to a post by Stuart Elliott of The New York Times to shed some light on what’s next for our ad campaign.
More to come - stay tuned!"

While it is true that we shot ten commercials, we always planned to cut it off at two! We have a long list of celebrities chomping at the bit to work with me and Bill! Eva Longoria is next, after her the Dice-man Clay, then Mel Brooks, .... the list goes on and on .....

Posted by: steveballmer | September 19, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: steveballmer | September 19, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Hi I am a Mac.

I am much better than a PC and here is why:

1. I don’t get viruses because I have less than 15% market share and no one cares about infecting the bottom of the pack.

2. Who needs a PC when you can run Windows on boot camp? After 25 years of trying to get programmers to write software for everyday users we gave up. We will just use Windows.

3. The Mac OS is perfect**
** this statement does not include the 400 security fixes for the Mac OS or security breaches to I-Tunes and critical flaws in quick time over the past year. After all, the quick time issue happened on Windows machines.

4. I never have to pay for an upgrade!! Since the Mac is a closed system I can not upgrade any of my parts. Instead I get a new computer every year!!!! On top of that I get to pay a premium just to say “I am a Mac”. Life is good!! My son did not need a college fund anyways…

5 We have Steve Jobs. He is the omnipotent being which has brought peace and justice to empire which is Apple. I would give up my first born just to touch him!!!

6 Twenty five years ago we stole most of the ideas for the modern computer from Xerox… The best part is that a few years later we convinced the world that Bill stole these ideas from us… you guys are soooo gullible. :-)

Its good to be a Mac…good night all…. I am off to the pasture to graze with the rest of the sheep.

Posted by: IAMAMAC | September 19, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

порно бесплатно сперма

Интересно, сколько народу хочет [url=http://piat.dimsex3.ru]порно[/url] :)

Posted by: Clalltaps | September 20, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I use a Mac, and I don't have issues with my computer crashing in the middle of law-school exams like my PC compatriots do. I don't have the "blue screen of death". My computer runs blissfully free of bugs, for the first time since my family's first computer in 1996. Sorry, folks, Windows is awkward, buggy, prone to all manner of problems, and not particularly intuitive. I much prefer my computer to, oh, I don't know, WORK. Y'know, like it's supposed to.

Posted by: bamagirlinVA | September 20, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

El Mugroso, what is purchased from Microsoft is not actually the software, but the "RIGHT" to use the software. Even though the money was given, in what was believed to be for their OS software and may have received the software on a DVD, the software is not actually owned. One is only really purchasing a license to use.
Someone may correct me, but off the top of my head, you may no longer have the "right" to continue using their software if they change the terms and conditions. Yeah, remember that contract (of course they did not call it that) they ask you to read in a tiny box and ask you to agree to in order to be able to install or use their software. Would you sign a contract for a house in a tiny crammed box as MS have been doing. Has anyone actually wondered why they have been doing this. Good ole MS. Now they need PR marketing to get into the minds of people subliminally for whatever reason that is.

Posted by: jim flien | September 20, 2008 3:04 AM | Report abuse

[url=http://otersex.007gb.com/]смотреть порно ролики[/url]

Posted by: axsicerotess | September 20, 2008 3:13 AM | Report abuse

I've been with MS since DOS 1.1. I have been an MCT, I am an MCSE, I manage Windows and Linux Servers. I think XP was a major improvement. The last computer issued to me has Vista. It brought back all the fond memories I have from Windows Me! Now my laptop, the machine I am on 70% of the time, is a Macbook Pro with Parallels running XP and Ubuntu.

If Apple takes any significant market share from MS then I think a lot of credit should go to Steve. Steve Ballmer, that is.

Posted by: MCSE, former MCT | September 20, 2008 4:31 AM | Report abuse

An appropriately UNORIGINAL ad campaign.

Posted by: Wily Usa | September 20, 2008 5:07 AM | Report abuse

PC Positives/Negatives:

+The most common computer in the world.
+As such, the most well known office software in the world
+Most games are designed for it
+In spite of the above, considered a "serious" person's computer
+Networking well developed over the years

-Run by a obscenely huge corporation with a ruthless business rep that automatically elicits suspicion no matter what their motives
-Operating system and software can run buggy depending on the hardware, other programs, or combination of programs on it
-Operating system used as advertising device, inserting pointless programs that slow or even disrupt the PC
-Corporation chronically and hilariously indifferent to its users' needs
-Internet browser so hopelessly insecure it requires third party companies to supply protection software and independent freeware browsers can best it
-Introduces new operating system versions that are famous for bloated requirements (meaning most people are forced to buy a new PC if they want it) and continuing the same problems from the previous system

Mac Positives and Negatives
+In tune with most of their customers, learning from when Microsoft capitalized on Mac's weaknesses in the 90's
+Leading the way with innovations that make computers seem a force for the future rather than a Buick with new fins
+Very pleasant operating system free of PC foibles
+Absurdly secure from most hacking - though probably because most hackers can do better targeting PCs
+Nowadays most MS Office software can be run on a Mac along with many other PC programs

-Still considered a toy, though it's making incredible inroads in businesses not dominated by suits like music and graphic art
-Can you even network a Mac?
-Almost no PC games can be run on a Mac

Posted by: Eric | September 20, 2008 5:55 AM | Report abuse

What does PC stand for these days? Piece of Crap?

Posted by: Mike | September 20, 2008 6:07 AM | Report abuse

There is no more obnoxious person than Steve Jobs, if you ask me (and nobody did). Having said that, I was, frankly (I'm with Frank), apprehensive when I heard that Seinfeld was going to do the Microsoft commercials. I loved his series and haven't seen him do anything else since it ended. However, I think he really brought out a humorous side of Bill Gates that you really can't pick up on when he is speaking about helping AIDS victims in Africa. I think the commercials were getting better and really going somewhere and it's a shame that they were aborted.

Posted by: rbrewer | September 20, 2008 6:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a techie, but I wish I were. Anyway, I had been using PCs for over twenty years (most of them not happy) since grad school. A few years ago I bought a cheap iMac at Costco. Couldn't believe the intuitiveness, ease, and lack of trouble. Now, we have three Macs in the house and everyone raves about them. The theoretical capability of Vista is one thing. Actual results from the Mac are a whole different story. Writing software for all kinds of hardware is one thing (MS). Producing hardware with the software has proven to be a much better approach since they don't have to cover myriad pieces of hardware that invariably provide unexpected results.

Windows and Bill Gates can go straight to Hell and they can take their PCs with them.

Posted by: JohnT | September 20, 2008 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Really.

Posted by: rbrewer | September 20, 2008 6:18 AM | Report abuse

Mac's have ZFS, PC's don't.

The list of fundamental differences goes on from there, and no one is ever going to accuse Vista of being a performance oriented operating system.

Neither MacOS or Windows * are open source, so they're doomed to pain for a long, long time to come because of it.

Posted by: meatware | September 20, 2008 6:18 AM | Report abuse

We have XP, a Mac Mini and Vista. My favourite is Mac Mini, but I am not so impressed by it to say it is perfect.

Posted by: Stefan | September 20, 2008 7:26 AM | Report abuse

One thing is obvious... some posters are Linux, Macs and PCs, but most of the posters here are NOT Spell Check users!!!!

Posted by: JoeB | September 20, 2008 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Vista Sucks, Mac Office 2008 was ten steps backwards, PC Office 2007 is more than 10 steps backwards.

Microsoft is now making software that is more difficult to be productive with.

I'm a Mac.

Posted by: jinwa | September 20, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

All Microsft had to do was tell people that if they wanted to move to Vista they had to use new approved hardware and the old stuff likely would have problems.

Attempting to squeeze money out of the old upgrade paradigm when you know it won't work smacks of dishonesty, either the enginneers in the company lied to the managment and/or MS is lying to its customers.

Posted by: cdoug | September 20, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Like many people here, the actual truth is they are all PC's and what the debate is about is software.
Mac is not Linux, but a port of Unix, as is DOS, or Windows.
Unless we were talking about the difference between Intel/AMD 380x CISC chips as opposed to RISC chips like Mac used to be, or other novel hardware, all OS's are ports from the original Unix code, and further they are now all run on commodity PC hardware.
I have used and networked every single type, including Solaris and IBM and it is software that is broken. Time is coming when they will stop selling software but keeping it on the network and we the users will access it through the network, because it just makes more sense for them since you do not actually buy anything when you buy software, so why even bother with the loading of software from media.
The network is not robust enough yet, but Cisco and their ilk (the real power behind modern computing) are getting closer, and when they get the network up to speed, this debate will be moot, as you will be able to access any OS GUI or any novel GUI as part of the network, paying for the time you use whatever flavor you need for the time you use it, and like renting a song, you all will do it, maybe complaining, but you will do it, because with rare exceptions we are all sheep.
The innovators were dead long before marketing guru's like Gates and Jobs even were a twinkle in their parents eyes. Do you really think GE or even IBM is concerned, why don't they advertise, because you use their stuff by default, and you don't even know it. Do you drive a car, well you are using their technology, and not even concerned about their software.
The top computers that run the world are Unix, not any flavor of GUI, because computers don't do GUI, that is and should be known as HUI, and needs vast improvement on all OS flavors to be really intuitive.

Posted by: James D | September 20, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I was a PC for twenty-five years. Never again.

I'm a Mac and have been for over two years now. Wow.

Posted by: Peter | September 20, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I use PC, and always have. Macs do not have anything, really, that I do not have on my PC, even in graphics. I build my own computers the way I want or need them for my purposes.

But I do not like PC, and have not liked it from the start. This is mainly about Microsoft's monopoly of its operating system, and how it can and does muscle out competing software and even hardware.

But I don't like Mac also, for political and practical reasons. I don't like their closed proprietary practices. Nor do I like their narcissism. I like the open, PC world, where I can build my own computer with a great selection of parts and programs that are good for what I want them to do.

That leaves me still yearning for an alternative. With programs like Adobe Premiere, and blu-ray editing, I still need the PC. Linux is not the solution at this point. So we will wait for Google and see what they have to offer.

Posted by: paul taylor | September 20, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Mac. That said, I'm a PC professional. I use Macs at home for their security, usability, and stability. I have fewer software choices for each job, but those choices I have are pretty great by and large.

My music server at home is a seven year old Mac laptop. It's been running without a reboot since January. The desktop Mac (Mini) I'm working on hasn't been rebooted since the last software update that required it - perhaps two months? I have never achieved that kind of stability from the dozens of PCs I work with.

Posted by: Alan | September 20, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

It would be nice if Microsoft came out in support of the American programmer instead of preferring indian low wage slaves...

Posted by: Dwight | September 20, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

apple doesnt care about me, i play video games.
also i am a fan of the beatles and they promised to stay out of the music industry in exchange for using the apple brand.
apple users are encouraged to remain computer illiterate. if you want to upgrade your apple the list of available components is a fraction of the pc list. to the average apple user "upgrade" means buying an entirely new system.
tl;dr:im not a millionaire, im a pc.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

The "I'm a PC" campaign is a vast improvement over the Gates & Seinfeld Show and it effectively focuses on disrupting the John Hodgman stereotype. If Microsoft can go the distance with this campaign, it will ruin the effectiveness of Apple's "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads by reminding people that the PC guy is, in fact, a bogus stereotype.

BUT HERE'S THE PROBLEM: People don't celebrate a product unless they're in love with it, and nobody (with the exception of a John Hodgman character) could ever be in love with Windows. Laying aside Vista's current woes, Windows was never designed to be loved. It was designed to work. Windows gives functionality to a sea of cheap computers. It's a Big Mac, not a filet mignon. Its success is built on the fact that people eat more Big Macs than filet mignons. Most of us, most of the time, don't need svelt design; we just need functionality. Our computer is not our life; it's just a tool.

THAT should be Windows' message: Your computer is not your life. Turn the Mac ads on their ear. Make the Mac Moonies look like the real geeks. Anybody who gets aroused just thinking about his computer needs to get a life.

THAT should be the Windows mantra: GET A LIFE.

Posted by: Bill Kilpatrick | September 20, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I've had Macs for many years. My family are all Mac users by choice, even though we all have used PC, but reluctantly. We can run Windows on our Macs, and in fact it runs better on a Mac anyway. When I got married, my wife used a PC. I introduced her to the Mac and she abandoned her PC like it had leprosy. We still have her PC laptop around the house somewhere, although I haven't seen it for a couple of years. I do know it's still here... er... uh... somewhere.

Posted by: AZkobushi | September 20, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

James D - not true about all modern OS being descended from Unix. Windows architecture is based on VAX/VMS; Windows is a poor implementation of VMS because the original VMS was more secure than Unix. Mac OS X is based on BSD which is an Unix derivative..

Posted by: Computer Nerd | September 20, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I don't know about all you other people, but I am a human. Not a Mac, and not a PC.

I agree with Bill's message. This whole attempt by Apple to make the computer you use part/all of your identity is starting to get over the top. Of course it benefits them ridiculously because the people who "are" Macs are basically willing slaves to the company, buying whatever product Apple makes just because it's Apple, and if they switch to another company they will risk having an identity crisis.
But have we forgotten that computers are mere tools? Who goes around saying "I am a Gilette Mach3" or "I am a Xerox"? People who say "I am a Mac" are literally saying "I am a tool."
I'm not too optimistic about this, but I hope that one day people will stop proselytizing their technological affiliations as if it's some significant philosophical/religious idea. Otherwise computers really will take over our lives, in every sense.

Posted by: Dani R | September 20, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

What a mistake the Gates-Seinfeld ads were -- so bad that they had to cancel them in the first week. All they did was reinforce the stereotype that PC's are for out-of-touch losers. The ads couldn't have been better designed to promote Apple products than if they were designed by Apple's advertising agency themselves. No wonder Microsoft's stock has gone nowhere in ten years while Apple's has sky-rocked. Time loves a hero, and Gates your are a clod with no instinct for architecture.

Posted by: james carroll | September 20, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm a MAC because the music software I depend on runs better on mac than on any other platform (though it does just about as well in Linux).

I would also say, Windows (XP) is usable (not so sure about Vista) but the Mac is a *pleasure* to use.

Posted by: James | September 20, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

if you are running windows on your mac, YOU'RE A PC. dumbass.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I have read this article & a lot of the comments, I detect from reading this you either use mac or pc---in the past I have used a mac recently I used a pc---then I got Vista it was so bad that I put Xp back in the computer, at that point xp became crash happy,every few days it would crash,so when I would reinstall it microsoft wanted to know how many times I had put it in & if I had changed computers, I had put a new hard drive,new video card & more memory,so they would ok it, but I got tired of the crashes ,so I put Ubuntu linux in my computer, now I had to learn some new things ,but it was not too hard. now I dont have crashes,worry about viruses,it is updated every day if there is an update,& best of all it did not cost more than using a cd to get the system,& my time . In the last 6 months I have not had a problem with linux & next month they will introduce a new one & I can put it in free if I so choose,do that with windows. So while you are arguing about pc & mac linux users are happily going on their merry way....Have a GOOD day

Posted by: james | September 20, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm a PC...and I chucked it for a Mac and the thing actually works!

Posted by: J. | September 20, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

haha, its joke :)
btw, I found new serch engine: [url=http://google.com]google[/url]
and its true!

Posted by: zuhraliyana | September 20, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I was loyal to PC, then came Vista. My next computer will be a Mac regardless of what ads either companies might show in the meantime.

Posted by: Corry | September 20, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Check out Novell's MAC-PC videos from a year or so ago:

Posted by: Fred | September 20, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I am surprised that a giant like MS is "Responding" to Apple's advertising. They definitely feel like rich kid being made fun of by the poor "Cooler" kids. I guess in that respect, they still have the market share, and they won the battle years ago, so they don't have much to worry about.

But maybe next time the decide to spend money (billions I am sure) they should be creative and original instead of crying to mommy, begging for her reassurance.

I am a Mac User, and I agree the ubiquitous, elitist, and annoying ads are a little much sometimes, but they are original, and the computers are superior for everything I need them for. (audio recording, video editing, design, online publication, etc.)

So choose your machines wisely.

Posted by: Chris | September 20, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Mac.

So, what's a PC?

Posted by: LarryInNoVA | September 20, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

One big mistake Apple haters is make is thinking about is about panache and not substance. Apple is ALL substance. The products work better. Period. End of story. That's why we buy them. You can try to justify your decision to use outmoded technology, but it's frankly a little sad.

As is this new ad. I'm the richest man in the world, but my feelings have been hurt. Oh, boo hoo. Why not spend 300 million buying an island rather than subjecting the world to this dreck?

Posted by: fletc3her | September 20, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

So it only took them a few weeks to give up on the embarrassing ads?

Pity they aren't nearly as quick to give up on Vista :P

Posted by: Kate | September 20, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm a PC, but without Microsoft products. I'm Ubuntu Linux.

Posted by: Scott P. | September 20, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

The last I checked, I was a human being. One of the tools I use is a PC (Personal Computer). Some that I use have Windows, some have Linux, and some have Mac OSX loaded. Having a whole bunch of people saying they are PCs really makes it sound like Microsoft is trying to take over your lives and is also trying to equate a PC as windows only.

My vote, very poor commercials, just a cheep knock off of the Apple commercials.

Posted by: michael | September 20, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Tablet PC with an iPhone 3G. Invest in better technologies that simplify your life.

Posted by: Technophile | September 20, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

yes, apple products work better because they are awesomely overpriced and proprietary, and at the same time use exactly the same hardware as the PC. remember the screams of fanboy outrage when apple did intel? apples OS is frustratingly inferior to windows xp in every way, good lord their mice still have one button, Englehart's mouse in the 70's
worked better. Apples are for art fa..nboys.
PC's are for people wanting to use a computer.

Posted by: apple fanboys | September 20, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Bring back XP. It's better than OS X- Vista is a joke-

Posted by: Rob Voss | September 20, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Windows without walls...

That will be the day. No way I'm turning the firewall off on my windows (xp) PC.

And no way will I adopt Vista. It sucks. XP is at least twice as fast, sometimes more on my 3Mhz Core 2 duo machine.

Typical airhead ads from the same people that put the off button under the start button.

All Microsoft has to do is make an OS that actually works and does not infuriate. But no...

Posted by: plaza04433 | September 21, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Kerim: "Apple is much less about substance than it is about panache."

That's their marketing campaign, sure, but are you talking about their computers? Because there's no other system out there that allows me to run Photoshop native on a UNIX-based system--kinda important considering I'm a web dev.

Posted by: JDJ | September 21, 2008 1:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Mac

Because I refuse to do Tech support for Billionaires.

Posted by: Buffy | September 21, 2008 3:09 AM | Report abuse

I've never found anything that lampoons Mac people better than this:

Posted by: Chip_M | September 21, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

PC User for the past 15 years - just switched to mac. Still use a pc at work. Someone should tell Microsoft that the lack of new ads were *not* the problem - it was and still is their buggy, bloated software.

Everything that MS makes is built by tech geeks - and then forced on the rest of us. Apple's success is spending time and effort thinking about regular people who just want their computer to work.

Posted by: JD | September 21, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

"I didn't really like the ad either. I don't think "PC" is a name Microsoft can "own", much like they have snatched up other words like "Windows" over the years. Both are common-language words and there were computers with graphical user interfaces (aka windows) long before MS came around. As far as the pc/mac juxtapostion, at one time macs had different hardware (chipwise), but now they are based on Intel type boards the same as microsoft uses, and most any other end-user type operating system (Linux, BSD unix, etc.) and can all be run on the same hardware pretty much. The one "lockdown" is that Apple is not available for non-Apple hardware, but that's changing in the underground world, as many experimenters have played with OSX and hacked some alternative versions that will run on more PC's now. So MS is walking a thin line here if they are trying to appropriate the word "PC"."

======

If you recall Microsoft got its start selling the official OS for the IBM PC, which iirc was the first computer to use that term.

More recently Apple started these Mac vs PC ads for some bizarre reason. (They tend to be more OS 10 vs Vista ads.) I guess that is because there is no compelling reason to buy Mac hardware at all, unless you want to run Mac software.

Anyway Microsoft is a software company which dabbles in hardware, and Apple is a hardware company that dabbles in software. I don't like Microsoft software at all, (though their OSs are typically the best of their offerings.) I only run the OS from Microsoft in order to use the (non-MS) software that I want to use. I have absolutely no reason or desire to have a Mac. It only costs more to do what I need, which is to run software only available for Windows. And by doing so I end up supporting two evil corporations rather than one, and of course these stupid ads.

Posted by: Robert | September 22, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I've always used Windows at work and at home. Recently, I decided to reinstall XP because everything was really slow and I suspected my machine was swamped with malware. But I found it impossible to get my hands on the installation CDs (Dell wouldn't ship them eventhough they never delivered them in the first place). So I decided to install Ubuntu Linux instead, at no cost. Everything now works great and it's faster than anything I ever saw before.

Posted by: SuperBOB | September 22, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The big problem with the "concrete reasons" to switch in the Apple ads is that often they don't give any. And examples like the backup utilities existed in Windows before they existed in Mac. So when that was finally touted in an Apple commercial, they were telling PC users to switch to Mac for a piece of functionality that Microsoft had previously implemented and released.

Posted by: diesel | September 22, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm a PC, running Linux, because I'm not going to pay M$ top dollar for unstable software I can't modify or Apple for smug advertising, brand recognition, and hardware that's a pain to upgrade and update.

Posted by: onchu | September 22, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

That was Leland Melvin, University of Richmond alum, in the space suit! Go Spiders!

Posted by: cbr | September 22, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Bob Dole is not a Mac or a PC. Bob Dole is Bob Dole.

Posted by: Bob Dole | September 22, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

After using all three OS's--Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu Linux--I have to be predictable and rank Windows at the bottom. Now, Windows is...OK. It gets the job done. But before using the alternatives, I had never realized how much I was fighting the OS to go from point A to point B. OS X and Linux just sit unobtrusively in the background and do what they're supposed to do. And did I mention they're both more stable and (to date) more secure than Windows? And Ubuntu is free! Their only real drawback, as many have noted, is software compatibility. Still, with more and more great and improving open-source programs out there, this may not be an issue for much longer.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

The major reason why my next computer will be an Apple is that the same company is responsible for both the operating system and the hardware. At present HP blames Microsoft and Microsoft blames HP wheneve anything goes wrong with my expensive piece of junk. Also, if Gates has to spend $300 million to try to persuade people to use Vista doesn't it suggest that there is a problem getting people to switch from XP? Oh except they now refuse to sell you XP.

Posted by: Ian Stuart | September 22, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The only thing anyone's ever said about Macs that would make me switch to them was that they don't crash as much...and then I met people with Macs that crash ALL THE TIME. Even I've crashed a Mac once (and I wasn't even trying).

I'm a PC...and I'm a Linux...and I like having options.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Funny, as the ads were created using Macs. Oh well ... BTW - Mac market share has doubled since the "I'm a Mac" ads have appeared. DOUBLED !

After Apple introduced the Intel Macs (which run Windows), Mac sales grew 37% in 2007, more than double the industry-wide rate of 15%.
Market Share: According to IDC, Apple’s worldwide market share grew from 2.4% in 2006 to 7.9% as of August 2008. Munster is conservatively modeling global market share to remain flat this year, but he notes that enterprise sales account for 70% of the worldwide market, a segment Apple is not aggressively targeting. In the consumer market, where Apple does compete, he estimates the Mac’s share is now 13% worldwide and an impressive 21% in the U.S.
Sales Price: While Apple has gained market share over the past three years, it has also been able to resist the industry trend of decreasing sales prices. In fact, it actually increased its average sales price (ASP) by more than $150 from December ‘05 to December ‘07. “The combination of increasing ASPs and rising market share is evidence of a compelling product line,” writes Munster.
One more thing: although consumers and investors tend to believe Macs cost 20% to 30% more than comparable PCs, according to Munster, he did some price comparisons and found that on average, the price difference is closer to 16% for desktop machines and 9% for laptops

Posted by: Dan | September 24, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

"I'm a PC" - the whole line is taken from a Mac ad and repeated for 30 seconds. Pretty much what MS has done for the past 30 years, take an Apple idea and co-opt it.

Hell, even the idea of using Seinfield comes from Apple - it used him in this ad years ago - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNDEwsIGJKI

Just saying....

Posted by: Paul N | September 24, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Microsoft can't get XP users to buy Vista, so who is it targeting? Mac users? Seems like its aiming at the wrong target to me.

Posted by: Luke | September 24, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I am a PC and I'm in Jail for robbing you of time and your personal information.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

2tСпасибо за интересную информацию!.6t Буду признателен, если посетите мой сайт.!
Сайдинг - защитит Ваш дом от неблагоприятного воздействия внешней ?среды, кроме того он позволяет значительно уменьшить затраты на ?обогрев дома.
Ламинат Classic style 3w
плинтус напольный 2b
водвесные потолки
Спасибо

Posted by: ламинат | September 24, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

[url=http://sokeks.fizwig.com/]Krista Allen Nude free now[/url]

Posted by: lYVgWWcP | September 24, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

[url=http://cyrukdkk.hi5.com]Ceberties private clip[/url]

Posted by: Gptf5xlT | September 24, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

5uИзложены интересные идеи!.8z Буду признателен, если посетите мой сайт.!
Все материалы для строительства дома: металлочерепица, профнастил, ?сайдинг виниловый, металлический сайдинг, теплоизоляция.
Ламинат Dynamic Clic 2c
Remico (Канада) 5x
плинтус
Спасибо

Posted by: ламинат | September 24, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

[url=http://blog.ifrance.com/plokeiss]Photography for free[/url]

Posted by: kNsHaOdA | September 24, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

[url=http://cuehskj.cataloghosting.com/]Holly Davidson new movie[/url]

Posted by: DIz6pTGC | September 25, 2008 1:58 AM | Report abuse

[url=http://yiekksk.freehyperspace5.com/]Sandra Model nice girl[/url]

Posted by: efkEscsB | September 25, 2008 4:55 AM | Report abuse

[b]Have any of you ever heard of oohya chat?[/b]

I haven't been in yahoo chat for over a year since they were swamped by bots but thought I'd give it a try again the other day. Man have they gotten bad! Not only are most of the people in the rooms bots but they've gotten rid of almost all of the adult rooms and now only have a bunch of generic little cheesy rooms left. I did try paltalk but the room mods kick you out for any stupid reason and the people were really clique. They also want you to pay for some of the features so I gave up on them pretty quick.

There is one chat site that is pretty good called [url=http://oohya.net][b]Oohya Chat[/b][/url], they have cams and voice and profiles unlike most of the other crappy chat sites out there and don't have any bots but they just don't have the user base yahoo had. I think they have promise if more people start using it but still isn't anything like yahoo used to be. It seems to be the best one out there for now though.

Anyone else know of any other good free chat sites out there?

Posted by: maidalekarrit | September 25, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I have to state this is for Intel based systems only (mainly laptops) and you would be well advised to image your disk BEFORE YOU TRY THIS just in case something happens and you cannot load your system (IMAGE, IMAGE, IMAGE!!!)

Once you have your disk images precede with the following:

Backup your registry or make a restore point just in case.

Under search: regedit
Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\

Locate: folder "iaStor"
Under "iaStor" you will find a folder named "Parameter" > delete this folder

Locate: folder "iaStorv"
Under "iaStorv" you will find a folder named "Parameter" > delete this folder

Reboot

Cheers,
Carl

Posted by: _tech_guru_papa_ | September 25, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shoesorder | September 25, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

It is interesting to try to understand the religious fervor of the Microsoft, Apple, and Linux responses to the question posed. Which was, "What about the ads?" Well, I like the ad; it is interesting to see all the different people. I don't see that it says a thing about Vista, though. So, I guess like a few others who actually commented on the ad, I am a little confused. What was the message? People use Windows (PCs) to do a lot of interesting things? OK, I guess I got that!

Now, that we have that out of the way. I have Mac, Windows, and Linux on various machines and VMWare so I can have multiple OSs in some cases. I have no axe to grind. It is just an OS. So what do you think of the ad?

Posted by: Ima Person | September 26, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse