Can I Recommend Internet Explorer 8? Should I?

I spent about an hour Friday afternoon answering reader e-mail about a 76-word item in the previous Sunday's Help File column. In that piece, I had tried to answer a simple question -- now that Microsoft is pushing out its Internet Explorer 8 browser as an automatic update to Windows, is it safe to let that installation proceed?

I wrote yes, noting that for all the defects I'd critiqued in my review of IE 8, it was clearly better than IE 7. I also hadn't run into any glitches installing it on numerous machines, including when I put in on my desktop at work:

Any Internet Explorer install involves non-trivial changes to Windows and, therefore, involves some risk. But so far, I haven't seen or heard of major compatibility issues with this version.

You can guess what came next: A stream of irate e-mails from readers, complaining that IE 8 had hosed their computers in various ways:

Re: your "Help" comment on IE8, after I installed it, my entire computer slowed down big time.
with all due respect, Rob, I downloaded IE 8 today before reading your article and it took all the items on my desktop and put them in the trashcan where they could NOT be restored to the desktop. Fortunately I was able to do a system restoration from a day back. Needless to say this was a nerve wracker and anyone recommending using IE 8 at this stage is doing a great disservice.
I run IE7 and decided to upgrade to IE8. I run Vista Home. I installed IE8 and as suggested restarted my computer. At that point everything fell apart. I saw the Windows Vista strip bar for a few moments then everything went dead, the screen went black and I heard the hard disc stop spinning. I restarted - nothing happened. I started in Safe Mode - nothing happened. I started with Safe Mode and Command Prompt - nothing happened. I restarted form a previous restore point - nothing happened. I restarted from last known configuration - nothing happened. I was getting pretty desperate at this point - it was now 3.00 am in the morning.

Only in a few cases could I even guess what might have gone wrong -- in one instance, for example, the reader might have been using an old version of Symantec's Internet-security software, and in another the reader's aging MSN Premium dial-up software could be at fault. But most of the time, I could only shrug and think "well, Windows is like that sometimes."

It is: I've seen the same pattern happen with earlier Microsoft updates, such as Service Packs 2 and 3 for Windows XP and Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista.

But I can't tell people to avoid these updates, not when they often bring considerable improvements in security and capability (and, let me state yet again, they work fine in my experience). I'm not going to tell people to stick with obsolete and unsafe software; that involves plenty of risk of its own.

So I suppose these e-mail exchanges will continue. Maybe the "endorsement" I should deliver for these updates goes something like this:

"I tried this update on [at least three, ideally five or more] computers, none that I knew to have any existing software problems, and saw no issues with it. If you have kept yours in proper working order, you should be fine too. Unless you're not. This is the chance you must take running Windows, an aging operating system that can get pretty fragile in daily use. If you don't like that risk, you need to use a different operating system."

Too harsh? Too depressing? You tell me. The comments are yours...

By Rob Pegoraro  |  May 11, 2009; 11:37 AM ET
Categories:  The Web , Windows
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: RIM's BlackBerry App World Eases Adding Smartphone Software
Next: PostPoints tip: expiration dates for (some) e-mail

Comments

I'm sitting on the sidelines for IE8. I run Vista Home Premium. I see it has been pushed to me via updates but....I have not chosen to install. I figure I'll wait until I hear about an update to IE8 to patch problems that emerge in the early adopter group. This approach has worked for me in the past.

Posted by: tbva | May 11, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I installed IE8 on my three-year-old Dell 2.8mhz system with 2GB, running XP . . . so far, without ill effect. Of course, I don't use IE much, anyway -- Firefox is my browser of choice. But IE8 didn't kill my system.

However, (ever so slightly off topic), this system will NOT be replaced until at least six months after Windows 7 is out . . . because I ain't touchin' Vista with a ten-foot pole.

Posted by: mdean3 | May 11, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I have been using IE 8 since the second beta. So far no system problems. I think people's problem might be from underlying problems already in place before the IE 8 upgrade. Not that that makes it better.

Posted by: tundey | May 11, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Gotta agree. I'm not exactly a Windows fan, but there have been many times I "fixed" someone's computer after they downloaded software that hosed up their systems. It was simply easier to blame the Microsoft software since the O/S (and the tightly-tied to it IE) are the most visible parts of the computer.

So here's another caveat - want to install a new IE browser or other major IE update? Run a MicroTrend Housecall first and have it look for weaknesses and viruses/trojans.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 11, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I've upgraded to 8 on all the XP virtual machines (and the one Win7 machine came with it) because IE7 BITES. Good lord does 7 bite. Compared to it, IE8 is freaking gold.

Having said that, IE remains crud and I'd rather use Firefox (even though THAT has begun to crash at an alarming rate.. I'm currently trimming extensions to try and find out why) or even Opera than IE any day and twice on Sundays.

But anyone who installs a major software update and DOESN"T back up their system beforehand definitely qualifies as a GRADE A MAROON.

*sheesh!*

Posted by: Bush--notrelated | May 11, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I've installed IE8 on four computers so far (three WinXP, one Vista). In every case, the primary browser used on those computers is Firefox, and the users don't use any sites or software that require a certain version of IE. No side effects that I've seen or heard about from the users.

I don't plan to start using IE8 in lieu of Firefox, but I have to say I like the color-coded tabs. Is there an extension for Firefox that will do the same thing?

Posted by: bokamba | May 11, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Rob, how timely. I was just getting ready to add these to a previous column by Brian, but the comments are closed.

I haven’t used IE Hate since Firefox came out. I merely update it because I can’t remove it from the system. (Dell, XP Professional, SP3, Avira ’09.) After reading Brian’s post titled “Microsoft Pushing Out IE8 Through Auto Update,” I installed IE8. Everything was good for a while, but then I noticed FF3 would open, but no images (or any other thing) would show. I did notice that it said “Done” in the lower left. This happened for Opera 10 as well. So, I was forced to give IE8 a try. I got the same effect – nothing showed up. I was “trying” to use IE8 without activating any of the new features. Today, I removed IE8 and things are back to normal. Why does MS keep putting out the same thing over and over again? Hopefully, with IE9, they leave all the other versions of IE Hate locked in a room and really redesign its browser.

I do understand what you mean, but your sentiment is kinda harsh. While you can’t know what’s on our computers, I am up-to-date with all the patches, security and otherwise. I’m using Secunia PSI to assist me with the complex, updating system. Furthermore, two months ago I re-installed the OS. Everything works fine: iTunes, Quicktime, PDF-View and a few other apps.

I think we have problems with IE updates because they are so closely tied to the system with a bunch of similarly named files that go to various locations. While I have a version of the MS Office Suite, it didn’t ship with PowerPoint, so I had PowerPoint Viewer. After I wiped and reinstalled the OS, I downloaded the latest version of PowerPoint Viewer 2007 and it’s nearly 40MB of something! If I remove Firefox, it’s gone from the hard drive. That’s not the case with IE Hate. Of course, after I removed IE8, IE7 quickly reappeared! So, it could be a case of conflicting files or the way it installed, or more precisely, didn’t install?

Furthermore, the method employed to install IE8 is also stupid. Why can’t we download it, then deal with all the questions and such? I had walked away from the computer and when I returned, I had though the computer had rebooted, but of course that wasn’t the case. Maybe IE10 will be MS' best browser?

Posted by: ummhuh1 | May 11, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: killick | May 11, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I've had no problems with IE8 on my Dell Latitude D630, 4GB, 80GB. I use Chrome as my default browser. I'm Sr. Admin for my company. I just rolled out IE7 though throughout the company this Spring via WSUS, except on servers where I still run IE6. I'll rollout IE8 later in the year (without backing up any workstations, since I've never had a browser hose a system).

Posted by: bbirdy202 | May 11, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

bokamba wrote:

**************************

**************************

Colorful Tabs - I've been using it for years.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | May 11, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if I would recommend IE8, but I installed it prior to this upgrade scenario and like it much better than IE7. Keep in mind, I don't use IE without an enhancement on it like SlimBrowser, and then only because some of my work requires its use. I found 8 to be a great improvement, and felt lucky to be able to get it installed. I don't do Windows updates because they cause problems, and consequently I sometimes am unable to download MS software. If you are somewhat computer-savvy and can manage to get IE8 installed without having to install other garbage first, I'd say try it if it is something that you are required to use for some reason. I have XP and will probably have it for a really long time, as I don't like any of the alternatives.

Posted by: agentzoe | May 11, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I went through this same dilemna today with XP Service Pack 3. My customer's PC had downloaded it, and had been prompting her to install it (for months); she asked what she should do.
I explained to her that SP3 is a collection of a few hundred security and reliability fixes for Windows, and she NEEDED it... and then I told her that some computers, maybe one out of a thousand, never run again after installing a service pack.
Then, I gave her the same advice I give all my customers:
"Accept all of these 'pushed' Windows Updates. Microsoft says you should install this, and I agree, but I want you to do it after I leave, and I give you no warranty expressed or implied that it won't cause a problem."

Personally, I like IE8. I install it as a partial remedy for IE7's crappy inconsistencies. It hasn't blown up any customer computers yet (knock wood).

Posted by: williehorton | May 11, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Depending on what you do, running Windows can be a gigantic painful waste of time. No other OS's get viruses and need layers of 3rd party software just to safely run.

Posted by: timscanlon | May 12, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

I wonder why I have not experienced any problems with IE8... well it's slower than Firefox. There are those who will always complain about Microsoft products no matter what. I use UNIX, Windows and the mighty Leopard software and think they all have pros and cons.

Posted by: HajjiWK | May 12, 2009 2:51 AM | Report abuse

I am giving up on 'doze, except to reimage one machine with W2K for my music, for my two favourite programs do not work with XP/beyond, Linux or MAC. This is historical, archival music stuff and not .mp3s. This machine will never touch the interwebs.

Otherwise, going to Ubuntu 9.04 on another machine and keep my MAC. I have not had any problems with Ubuntu 8.10 or the MAC.

MY 2 pennies, fwiw.

Posted by: osh123 | May 12, 2009 4:45 AM | Report abuse

My one Windows computer is almost purely a video editing appliance, rarely connected to the Internet except to download updates to my video editing software -- with Firefox. The only time I ever run Explorer is to check that websites I've made (and I don't make many websites) don't display oddly in IE. I have no reason to download IE 8, since I want to have the worst test-case Explorer I can get as a testing tool. So no update here, thank you.

Posted by: roblimo | May 12, 2009 6:16 AM | Report abuse

I wonder why anyone in his right mind would even bother with any
Garbagesoft 's trash? If you are unfortunate enough to be on the cracked Windows, use Safari of Firefox!! The only time I use any versions of IE is to double check that IE doesn't screw the the web pages I made.

Grabagesoft should stop making software, period!!

Posted by: sayNo2MS | May 12, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

For more than 20 years I used to faithfully read advice like this and resent the snarky comments from Apple users. One day, something snapped, I went out and bought (overpaid for) an iMac. Best computer decision I have made in a long time. Now I occasionally read these discussions, feel a little guilty for my attitude of snarky superiority. But I'm willing to live with the guilt because I don't have to wonder what is going to happen when I turn my computer on in the morning.

Posted by: billd3 | May 12, 2009 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, why does anyone bother with IE any more? Let it die.

Posted by: fudador | May 12, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Once upon a time, the individuals who formed Microsoft contributed real advances into computing. Since then and now for a long time, Microsoft seems to be committed to innovation for innovation's sake, with those innovations too often something other than real advances.

Having had so many years of success and having developed a large workforce, Microsoft seems to need new sales, even as the hype for the next OS or service pack seems more like expensive lipstick on a non-pedigreed but patented pig. The cash flow needs of MS must be a severe challenge, in response to which newly hyped misfires abound.

Even if IE 8 becomes less destructive, how long will it last? Six months, a year? MS's cash requirements will sustain the pattern of MS wanting to enforce sales and use of whatever's next, regardless of quality. My two XPs sit dormant most of the time, because Vista-avoidance syndrome led me to Ubuntu.

Posted by: TeresaBinstock | May 12, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

I like XP, IE 6.x and Office '03. Microsft screwed-up when they didn't keep and option for the "look and feel" of the older O/S and applications.

Microsoft, we don't want the "artsy-fartsy," otherwise we would have bought a Mac.

FYI- Microsoft is going to be issuing notes for unsecured debt for the first time in their history. So much for "cash on hand."

Posted by: Computer_Forensics_Expert_Computer_Expert_Witness | May 12, 2009 7:02 AM | Report abuse

I had to uninstall IE8 because it caused many sites to continually close.

Posted by: LeeClarke1 | May 12, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse

I just upgraded from 6 -> 8 a couple of days ago, largely because I wanted to open one tabbed IE rather than a bunch of IEs (usually I use Firefox; I haven't tried Safari and Chrome is not ready for prime time). I use IE so I can open different email accounts from the same provider (eg, 2 yahoos).

Worst problem: yesterday power went out. I wanted to shut down while my UPS was still alive. I tried to bookmark all pages using IE -- it wouldn't bookmark while disconnected from the internet. All tabs lost. No Firefox restore feature.

This is progress?

Posted by: filfeit | May 12, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

We have all three flavors of XP on five computers. Only the upgrade on the XP Media Center machine failed, causing links to fail, shortcuts to not operate, etc. XP Media Center has been flaky on other upgrades also.

Posted by: Dale_R | May 12, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

IE8 problems (and problems caused by many other Microsoft "upgrades") have often appeared to me to be related to particular OEM OS configurations. Microsoft may assume default settings are in place on the OS, but the OEM package has various trial licenses, deals and registration gimmicks for upgrading trials, third party security packages, third party system restore packages, etc., which can conflict in serious ways with Microsoft install routines. In particular HP retail configurations of XP and Vista Home OSs have been problematic in several ways.

Posted by: angusgoodson | May 12, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Use Chrome, use Firefox, heck, use Safari. Anything but IE.

Posted by: futbolclif | May 12, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I wonder why IE doesn't come with a utility like Windows itself which scans the target computer to assess whether there will be some problem(s) (such as conflicting security software) BEFORE installation begins

Posted by: GWGOLDB | May 12, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Gee, all these problems just from a browser update? With Firefox and so many other choices, why bother with IE ever again? We have a Mac and a Windows XP computer at home. While we use the Mac for photos and lots of stuff, we use the Windows computer these days just as a terminal for running Firefox and getting on the internet. Who wants to deal with any of that internal Windows stuff, if can be possibly avoided?

Posted by: rbrb1 | May 12, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Anyone that knows anything about computers and Microsoft knows NOT to install any new MS products or service packs for several months after introduction. Why in the world anyone wants to install the latest that Microsoft puts out is beyond believe and honestly idiotic. I am still running XP and never had a desire to go with Vista and sure glad I didn't. Probably won't even consider Windows 7 for at least 6 months to a year when that comes out. You are just asking for trouble when rushing into ANY MS products.

Posted by: Classic60 | May 12, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Firefox

Friends don't let friends use IE 8

W

Posted by: George20 | May 12, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I've noticed that IE8 uses more memory, to the point it pushes a computer with 1 gig over the edge into unusability. It also leaks memory horribly, the longer you use it the more memory it uses. If you close it down and restart it the memory usage goes way down.

Memory leaks are unacceptable in any program, but Microsoft seems pretty blase about it.

Posted by: washpost4 | May 12, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I also was surprised last night as I went to log on to my home computer. The only thing left on my desktop was the recycle bin. The upgrade evidently wiped out everything. I also was lucky enough to be able to restore.

Posted by: nerraw00 | May 12, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Sad comments. My experience is really different. I have used IE8 Betas on a Vista machine for months. No problems. Also, run FireFox Betas and Chrome Betas.

Each has their advantages. Speed is not everything. At some point, the speed of the browser is blunted by failures in other parts of the system. No biggie.

With the release of Windows 7 RC 7100 (64 bit), IE 8 appears solid, stable and faster than before. It is becoming my std browswer and I find myself using FF and Chrome much less.

Posted by: WashingtonWombat | May 12, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Yes, while I am not letting my friends use IE, I still tell them to update it. Since you can’t remove IE from your system, it is still vulnerable to attack whether you use it or not. I think both Rob and Brian have commented on this. (I’m sure they will correct me if I am wrong.) So applying the new patches should — still — be the required action to take. Updates are the only reason I touch IE.

Posted by: ummhuh1 | May 12, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

When I first upgraded to IE8 I had a few problems with my computer being very slow and websites freezing. I thought I had a virus. That was about 3 weeks ago, but in the past week I've noticed that the internet is working faster and much better than it did with IE7. I use Vista and I've gotten some updates so maybe they fixed the initial problems I was having. Now I'm happy that I use IE8.

Posted by: ZebraLover | May 12, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Get a Mac. After struggling with M$ since 1990 I switched and I'm not going back.

All the best,

S.

Posted by: observer-in-Canada | May 12, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Rob, to respond to your query, I find the «endorsement» text for Windows updates in your next-to-last paragraph well written and well balanced. It is to be hoped that with its help, your readers will be able to understand the trade-offs implicit in any update/upgrade, not least of a Microsoft product....

Henri

Posted by: mhenriday | May 12, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Just a warning to readers. If you are doing business with the DoD, IE8 appears incompatible with DoD invoicing system WAWF and you will be unable to access any shipping or billing systems.

In addition, IE8 slowed all our computers down frighteningly on most DoD sites and even though we have restored IE7, the problems remain. Thanks again Microsoft, this is going to cost us a fortune!

Posted by: Iangibsonsmith | May 12, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Wait for I.E. 8's first Service Pack before allowing it onto your system.

Similarly, you shouldn't install a major Firefox release until several updates have been issued for it, such as the sixth update after version 3.5 is released, e.g. 3.5.0.6

To keep Windows automatic updates from screwing up your system, change your Automatic Update settings to "Notify but do not download or install." You can make a similar switch in Firefox's Options menu.

You should install security updates fairly quickly (wait a few days in case a patch causes major problems), but major browser upgrades should be given much more time. Say 6-8 months or until the first service pack shows up.

Microsoft always tries to cram a million and one new features in each major upgrade, and no amout of beta testing will uncover all of the bugs that show up upon public release. In reality, the early adopters are the real beta-testers.

Posted by: taskforceken | May 12, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

IE should have stakes driven through its heart.

Posted by: euroguy | May 12, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I just purchased a Gateway laptop w/MSHome, 64 bit system. I have upgraded to I-8 and haven't had any problems. I'm assuming of course that the upgrade was the 64-bit upgrade.

Posted by: Rcichocki | May 12, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Why should one install IE8? I am perfectly satisfied with Firefox so I simply don't use IE in any shape or form.

Posted by: ianstuart | May 12, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't get why so many people don't download Microsoft updates at least monthly, or why people reject certain offered updates, or why they never do any kind of maintenance like disk cleanup and defrag; you've paid for that expensive hardware and software, wouldn't you like to lap up all that free stuff they're pumping out to keep your machine in top form? I'll wager that anybody who's been taking regular updates, including updates to Office as well as Windows, is very unlikely to suffer any bad experiences with IE8...

Posted by: razzl | May 12, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

I've been using IE8 on two Vista Home Premium machines and one XP machine for over a month without a single problem.

Posted by: hoos3014 | May 12, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

After reading all of the above comments, one thing strikes me. Those who are having problems seem to be those who dislike all things Microsoft and who avoid updates like the plague. All I can say is that I have updated one Vista machine and 2 XP machines with IE8 with no problems whatsoever. Of course I regularly install all Windows and Internet Security updates. Performance has been good, even on an older XP laptop with only 640MB of RAM.

My recommendation is that no one should install a major update like IE8 without having the operating system fully updated first. Consider allowing Windows Update to install any hardware updates it finds. Also, fully update your current Internet Security / AntiVirus program before installing IE8. And before installing IE8 or other major update do a full image backup of Drive C to an external backup drive so that you can go back to the future in the event of a major problem. A key would be to use Drive C for only software - placing all data on a different partition (drive) makes restore without affecting current data a no brainer.

Posted by: ComputerBug | May 12, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Funny - Many people think of IE8 as a Window's update. It's a new application, people! You're changing the application!! Not just updating some security software.

I came here to get some info on IE8, but mostly, it seems like Windows Derangement Syndrome by people that think only MAC works in computers.

Read the above from .. Iangibsonsmith | May 12, 2009 3:29 PM

Is Windows REALLY distributing this kind of garbage? Is the government REALLY this inept? God help us if either is true.

Someone's obviously trying to create some presence of doubt.

They should be "PROUD", like when a cat goes in a cat box.

Posted by: dkvsi | May 13, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Read the above from .. Iangibsonsmith | May 12, 2009 3:29 PM

Someone's obviously trying to create some presence of doubt.

They should be "PROUD", like when a cat goes in a cat box.

Posted by: dkvsi | May 13, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

(1) For those complaining that installing IE8 killed your PC, it's most likely to be related to an existing config problem, OEM or not, rather than IE8. Few people have that specific problem.

(2) For those complaining about slow-downs, I think you're right. The memory leaks referred to by other posters seem to be the underlying cause. Whether it affects all PCs or not, closing down tabs does not release memory properly and a PC with only 2GB can become very slow with lots of paging. My home PC, with 4GB of memory, runs fine. My work PC, with 2GB of memory, became so slow I had to revert to IE7.

(3) For those that say IE8 is cr*p, that's not true when it's compared with IE7. IE8 has some additional anti-phishing security features, better management of tabs, and so on. It's definitely an improvement over IE7, which is the discussion. If you prefer Chrome or Firefox, that's your choice.

(4) For those that say IE8 breaks web-sites, that's only half-true. Lots of web-sites are not written correctly (more precisely, are written to IE7's loose rules) and won't work under native IE8. BUT, if you press the Compatibility button to the right of the address bar, IE8 displays that site fine and remembers your choice in the future. So far, I've not had a site that can't be used at all under IE8.

If MS get their act together and address the memory leaks, IE8 will be a big improvement over IE7.

Posted by: SAD1 | May 13, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, IE 8 did not exactly 'kill' my rig (an ancient Dell Inspiron 8200, P-4M; 1 GB RAM; 100 GB ATA 100 HD @ 7,200 RPM, running XP Pro SP2 with all updates other than SP3), but it made several frequently visited sites (including NYTimes.com, Reuters.com & two banks) virtually unusable.

Uninstalling, then reinstalling IE8 had no effect, so I returned to IE7 which, though something of a resource hog and about as fast to load as one, is for the present adequate. (I have installed in it two add-ons I've used for some time and recommend: IE7 Pro, http://ie7pro.com/, and Web of Trust, http://www.mywot.com/.) I have never had an infection with any kind of malware (and perform a reformatting and clean reinstall every six to eight months).

I'll keep watching; should a major update to IE8 come down the pike, perhaps I'll take it for a spin. Otherwise, I'll wait for IE9 (and likely give either Firefox or Opera a whirl at some point).

Posted by: AJNorth | May 13, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I installed IE, ver. 8, without major problems. There are a few visible features, such as color coding related tabs and improved Ctrl-F search window, that seem helpful.

Only one of my regular websites has a problem and it's being worked on by the site owner, AAA. The on-line Trip-Tik application is broken for the two most zoomed-in levels (but not, so far as I can tell, for lesser zoom levels or anything else). It's a website problem, AAA knows about it (thru many complaints!), and is supposedly working on a fix.

Posted by: jhhorwitz | May 14, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I've attempted to load IE 8 on three machines and was successful on two of them, one running XP Professional FAT 32, the other XP Home NTSF. The third one running XP Home FAT 32 was unsuccessful after two separate attempts. I reverted back to IE 7 after each attempt.

I was able to load IE 8 on two of my four user accounts on the third machine, but not the other two, one of which is the Administrator account. Guess I'll wait as I'm an Firefox 3 user. I just wanted the most secure version (per B. Krebs, 04/30/2009, "Microsoft Pushing Out IE 8 Through Auto Update") of IE. IE was shown in Process Explorer, but would not load onscreen and CPU usage was at 100% for each.

Also IE is such an integral part of Windows that I wanted the latest version.

Posted by: geofrumohio | May 14, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I too downloaded IE 8 and experienced a very noticeable slow down of all processes. I used IE 8 for about 2 days, then uninstalled it and went back to IE7.

Posted by: lturpin | May 15, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse