Yes, Twitter's Down and Facebook's Slow

It's not just your computer: Twitter has been inaccessible this morning, apparentlybecause of a denial-of-service attack. And Facebook's been either sluggish or unresponsive; for instance, I've had trouble opening my inbox, and many news-feed links haven't worked. So you might as well stop hitting the "refresh" key over and over and accept the situation for what it is.

It's normal to get angry about downtime at a site you use every day, but in this case it might not be a bad thing. The world won't end while Twitter and Facebook right themselves; why not take this opportunity to catch up on some chore you usually postpone in favor of updating your status or reading other people's updates at these sites? Why not try to remember what you used to do with your time before these sites made their way onto your bookmarks list?

(Disclosure: I've got a column to write, as usual for a Thursday. So Twitter and Facebook's issues actually come at a pretty helpful time for me.)

By Rob Pegoraro  |  August 6, 2009; 11:29 AM ET
Categories:  Digital culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sony Drops E-Book Prices, Introduces New Readers
Next: New Android, BlackBerry Smartphones Show Old Problems

Comments

Aaiiee! PANIC! *snickers*

Posted by: SilverySpringlike | August 6, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Follow me! Follow me to freedom!

Posted by: Eze167 | August 6, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey Rob. Did WaPo get hit with a denial of service attack yesterday? Because all day when I tried to connect, I got redirected elsewhere.

I know you can't post a "hey our website's down" message while it's down. But it would be reassuring to know - to rule out a problem on my end. Especially since the problem lasted for about 8 hours. I think a significant outage ought to be acknowledged for user peace of mind. Gracias.

Posted by: NW_Washington | August 6, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Thank you so much! How wonderful to be able to find out I wasn't crazy this morning, trying to reach facebook!

You are a prince!!

Posted by: dharmary | August 6, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Now, facebook's down..and twitter's up!

Posted by: medjosh | August 6, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

We'd all be better off if they all went down permanently.

Posted by: gce1356 | August 6, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

EVERYBODY PANIC!

Posted by: scorbett1976@hotmail.com | August 6, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

EZE167 with a Charley Steiner reference ... post of the year!!!!!

Posted by: bs2004 | August 6, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

OMG! You mean people might actually have to *talk* to each other? OMG!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | August 6, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I hope they stay down.......forever.

Posted by: obxsumm | August 6, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Ahrgggggggggggg.....Henny Penny, the SKY is FALLING, oh Chicken Little!!!!!!!!!!

How *WILL* NFL football fanatics learn about their favorite teams' travails w/o Twitter & Facebook?! Oh MY?!?!

Those fans will experience travails themselves...........Pish-Posh!

Posted by: Bigrcube | August 6, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

OMG!!!!!!

You mean these people need to socialize with the real world.

Posted by: askgees | August 6, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wiredog | August 6, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I guess that's why I see all the bleary-eyed, twitching people wandering aimlessly and occassionally screaming around like drug addicts going cold turkey! But I guess that last was redundant when talking about Twitter fanatics!

Posted by: dre7861 | August 6, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

No great loss, in fact, it's a positive. How will we survivie if we can't know every bowel movement our friends, relatives, coworkers and long lost high school lucnch buddies are having. Get lives!

Posted by: dem4life1 | August 6, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I feel so ashamed... here I am, 42 years old, feeling jittery because I can't check my facebook page. I think I need a walk in the woods this weekend.

Posted by: MHinNC | August 6, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

GOOD!! I'M SO GLAD TWITTER IS DOWN. I'm sooo sick of hearing about Twitter, tweets, facebook, etc. Makes me sick!! Oh no, what are all of you Twitter LOOOSERRRS going to do now???!!

I wouldn't mind if Twitter just went away and took facebook along with it. They have no practical purpose AT ALL in life. Just a huge waste of time.

Sick of it.

Posted by: mike_zimmy | August 6, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Twitter went down about the same time that kid with 30 snakes in Fairfax overloaded a power strip.

Posted by: BaracksTeleprompter | August 6, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

The whole "people will have to socialize in the real world" comment is so, so tired. And mostly, I suspect, offered by people who themselves do no socializing in the real world so don't realize that social networking sites enhance such interactions, not detract from them. But mostly, just stop repeating such lame cliched lines. If you can't think of anything original to say, please refrain from commenting.

Posted by: JennX_ | August 6, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Do what I used to do? Damn it! I guess it's back to putting on a wig/some make-up and repeatedly calling/hanging up on my exgirlfriend while I listen to Phil Collins and cry in my vodka and cranberry juice :(

Posted by: smckaho420 | August 6, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and that goes for you too "mike_zimmy." I have friends from many stages of life in many different parts of the country that I have reconnected with and now again share my life with. Nope, no value in these tools whatsoever.

Again, I suspect such comments are from people who have no friends to reconnect with anyway...

Posted by: JennX_ | August 6, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Ha! I check Facebook only occasionally (and Twitter even less often), but I thought I'd check today. I was getting those connection timeout, and initially thought there might be something with my local network, but other sites seemed fine.

So then figured I'd forget Facebook for now, and go to the Post site and see what's happening in the world today. And...voila!

Posted by: lazywilkie | August 6, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm all a-twitter because Twitter is down!!!

Posted by: Geezer4 | August 6, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

NW_Washington:

WAPO was not down yesterday between 07:00 and 16:00. I was on and off several times during that period.

Posted by: Lefty_ | August 6, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Hi JennX - You are right - I don't have friends. I really need some so I can speak to them on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and the like. I can then be so cooooollll! I have not tweeted, therefore I am a geek. I need to put a movie of myself on You Tube saying some funny stuff - that way I'll be sooo coooooollll. I'm a dork now and I will always be until I tweet day in and day out. Facebook is such goodness!!! MySpace is wonderful too. Not to mention that these web sites lead people to be killed.

JennX - I want to be coooollll like you. I'll start my You Tube movie soon. I hope it is awesome and gnarly.

Signed, a dork.

Posted by: mike_zimmy | August 6, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh, JennX - was my post original enough?

Posted by: mike_zimmy | August 6, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I don’t understand why people feel like they have the authority to dictate other people’s usage (or non-usage) of social media. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong side to this issue. People who don’t like it don’t have to use it. People who do like it can use it all they want. Everyone wins, right? (Well, until one side starts feeling superior and bashes on the other, apparently.)

Posted by: lmr1 | August 6, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

wow

Posted by: hogboss | August 6, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Sort of feels like your hometown is under terrorist attack. Check out my CARTOON at http://www.pcdisorder.com/2009/08/denial-of-twirvice.html

Posted by: Soluto | August 6, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

What was truly laughable was at 10:30AM yesterday there was a constant stream of people tweeting that Twitter was down.

Those people have waaaay too much time on their hands.

Posted by: Annorax | August 7, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse