Yes, there's a new iPhone coming today

For a company with so many habits of secrecy, there's remarkably little suspense attached to today's unveiling of a new iPhone, starting at 1 p.m. EST with Apple chief executive Steve Jobs's opening conference keynote. I don't use the normal hypothetical "today's expected unveiling" for two reasons:

* Apple always uses its annual Worldwide Developers Conference to launch a new phone. Last year, it unveiled the iPhone 3Gs on June 8; in 2008, it debuted the iPhone 3G on June 9; in 2007, Apple announced the shipping date of the original iPhone on June 11 (having introduced the phone itself that January).

* An Apple employee lost a prototype of the next iPhone a few months ago; after a few exchanges of dubious legality, the tech-news site Gizmodo published a detailed inspection of that prototype that revealed such additions and tweaks as a new, front-facing camera for video conferencing, a higher-resolution camera with a flash on the back and a higher-resolution screen. (Does that remind you of any other new smartphones?)

So Jobs can't have that much to surprise people with this year's model. There's the issue of what sort of third-party services the new device could support--Skype video-conferencing and Facebook social networking come to mind. There's its name--speculation points to either "iPhone HD" or "iPhone 4G," though the latter wouldn't make sense unless its unveiling is coupled with an AT&T announcement about deployment of its fourth-generation "LTE" mobile broadband network. And, "WWDC" being a developer-oriented event, you can expect news about Apple's iPhone-programming tools and App Store.

You'll notice that I haven't used the magic words "Verizon iPhone." That's because I remain unconvinced we'll see any such thing. Gizmodo's dissection of the prototype didn't reveal any evidence of support for the CDMA wireless technology Verizon uses (but did find a micro-SIM card slot that would only work with the GSM standard AT&T employs). A lot of people seem desperately anxious for such a thing to appear, but I fully expect those folks to have their hopes crushed yet again. Want a different answer? Check back next June.

By Rob Pegoraro  |  June 7, 2010; 12:24 PM ET
Categories:  Mobile
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Microsoft ends Bing cashback rebates
Next: Apple introduces new iPhone 4

Comments

The Droid Incredible blows away any Apple iphone past, present or future. Apple is pathetic and sales of new Droid phones now far outnumber iphone.

Not only do the Apply fanboys have to suffer with AT&T as their carrier, they also have much worse phones than the Droid Incredible.

Posted by: screwjob16 | June 7, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

1984...the Apple is thrown thru the screen of the master(PC). Today who is trying to be the master? Who tells the sheep what they need while other nations ( Japan ) build phones that blow all of ours away? Mr. J. take your meds . I for one never eat your ego BS trip /propaganda. Where usb2-3 ports etc on tablets? Adobe flash? etc......please get real ,you have become the more equal than other animal- piggy.I will short you when others begin to see the emporium's new clothes.

Posted by: dlintz | June 7, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

It never ceases to amaze me how human beings have to be so freaking negative towards things and people just to feel better about themselves. Enjoy your Droid Incredible. I hope it occupies more of your time in the future so that you don't have to waste it bashing other people's products and likes.

As for Japan, we all know they're already in the year 2057, so of course they're better than us!

Posted by: CSp1 | June 7, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Given the growing popularity of Android phones, I am afraid that history is about to repeat itself. In the 1980's Steve Jobs was convinced that Apple had the better computer (they did), and that fact alone would make the Macintosh out-sell the PC (it didn't). Now we have the potential for the exact same thing going down with iPhone vs. Android. Steve Jobs loves his "walled garden" concept for the iPhone, but in five years time he may be the only person still standing in it. There is an old saying that goes "once a mistake, twice a fool." It goes without saying that arrogance is very foolish.

Posted by: mscarborough | June 7, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I got news for you...Japan manufactures all cell phones...both Apple and Droid. They may lead us in technology, but at what cost? The record suicide rates in their technology sweat shops is nothing to brag about. Enjoy your new "Blood Phones" - whichever you choose.

Posted by: TimTebow | June 7, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Windows Mobile and Palm; two open systems that have gone the way of the dinosaur. I think Jobs has it right. He is not just interested in the number of systems but the quality of the experience.

As an Apple (and previous Palm) developer, and a Mac (previous Toshiba) user, It feels great to have thousands download my iPhone app and not to have to worry about virus software management on my Mac.

If that comfort and profitability comes at the price of limitations, so be it. I love the iPhone and Mac experience. I also run a VM system on my Mac hosting Windows XP, Windows 7, and the dreaded Vista.

There is a reason Apple's stock has doubled and Microsoft's has languished. Don't be a hater.

Posted by: DougH1 | June 7, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I just been looking at the new phones. Including the new iPhone. Yes, Droid and HTC EVO have Apple beat on functions and capability. But, the new iPhone is a piece of art. Thinner and more beautiful then any other similiarly capable smart phone on the planet. So, pick your poison. Either do a lot, but carry a brick in your pocket. Or do less, but carry a "chick magnet." Decisions, decisions!

Posted by: magnifco1000 | June 7, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

The 12 year old who posted that his droid is so much better than anything else is just a freaking negative nobody.

Posted by: swatkins1 | June 7, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@DougH1 Lol, political attacks for using a Japanese cell phone? #1 iPhones and Droids are not made in Japan, get your facts straight before you start talking. #2 Japanese suicide rates are only due to cultural issues, not industrial, if you're going to attack a country's politics, at least figure out what you're talking about.

iPhones are manufactured in China, in sweatshop conditions, so what are you saying? You will boycott all Chinese made products imported to the US? Then you better dump anything and everything in your possession.

Droids and other Android phones are made by HTC in Taiwan, which is a totally different story.

Posted by: LOLEZ | June 7, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty happy with my Droid Incredible -- had it since April 29 and haven't dropped a single call since.

I am also pretty happy with Verizon Wireless's network.

But if I MUST complain about Verizon, WHEN WILL thoise !#%&#!s GIVE US MASN2HD ON OUR FiOS TV???? I'm going to have to watch Strasburg's debut in 480i, dang it!

Posted by: FergusonFoont | June 7, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Lot of emotion here - almost like earlier "true believer" wars of Apple vs. PC. Some notes - Both iPhones and Droids are really are slick, especially compared to previous smart phones. I loved my Mac 512, but left for cost and ability to share. Apple true believers flamed people for this. We have a Mac notebook; it's great (fast on, very stable), used everyday for fewer programs and more cost than a PC. I think Apple's tight control of apps for the iPhone achieves the same - incredibly stable but runs less and costs more. However, it hits their target audience and they don't need to sell to everyone. Right now I feel the same way about Verizon Wireless - incredible coverage but it costs more, apps and options are limited. Gave spouse a Droid since iPhone wasn't avail, loves it. If Verizon got an iPhone, I think they'd cripple it.

Posted by: southVAHmptn | June 7, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

The distance between Apple and its products, especially the iPhone, and others continues to grow.

I was watching the demo today and if it is all real, and always has been, then iPhone sales are going to start reaching levels of iPods in the not too near future.

Wow.

I assume some fading company in Redmond, WA will see the iPhone 4 as nothing but a fad. It is now a 3 horse race for mobile phones, Apple, RIM, and Android.

Posted by: dkeller1 | June 7, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Droid---not even close to the Iphone in features, apps and quality. Apple rules in new tech!

Posted by: Socialistic | June 7, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FergusonFoont
------------------------
Are you serious? I did not know that. I'll be shocked if they don't switch up the schedule.

Either way, as a one-game solution, watch the game on MLB Network (586). They will be doing a pre-game starting at 3:30 as well as broadcasting the game nationally.

Posted by: prokaryote | June 7, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

What's so nice about the new iPhone is that to look at it is to look at artistic beauty. It's got the others beat on thinness and it just looks, really, really nice. That's were Jobs has shown Apple stands out. Yes, I will give to the Droid and HTC followers their due. Those phones do have a bit better cameras and bigger screens, along with being heavier. Probably on that note, more value even for the money. Also, ATT has the disadvantage now that if you are a new customer, you have to sign up for a limited data plan, which I think is a rip-off. Existing customers are OK (for now) on their unlimited plans. Sprint is better in that regard, still unlimited data, even 4G in limited areas, but, Verizon is likely to also go shortly with the limited data plans. So, you have to weigh all that out. I do wish, however, Apple didn't lock you into ATT. As for the phones, yea, sure Android, whatever, will do a bit more for the money. But that new iPhone is the most beautiful cell phone in the world, hands down.

Posted by: magnifco1000 | June 7, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I was a Verizon customer and the service was just ok and the coverage was great. AT&T has really good service. And the coverage is getting better all the time. When I switched from Verizon I got hit with all kinds of fees. I didn't care because I can afford it and I wanted a Iphone. My friends have droids and often complain of glitches of one kind or another. Once in a great while I'll get a freeze up on the Iphone - I press both buttons for a "Soft Reboot" and all is fine.

I would never go back to Verizon because of all the sneaky charges. Even though I can afford it - I hate the deception. Get a real phone - Iphone rocks!! And I'll take the upgrade.

Posted by: KnightsTravelerforKingSolomon | June 7, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if iOS 4 will allow iPod Touch 3rd gen to connect via 802.11n?

Posted by: jgluke | June 7, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

It's hilarious that Apple is so wedded to AT&T that they couldn't even get their orchestrated rollout to work. I love my Mac, but I used an Android Incredible on Verizon as my cell phone to avoid AT&T. Apple blew it big time. Verizon, if they have any business sense, will avoid the iPhone and the Android is going to make steady inroads on the iPhone and it will become a tiny market thing for people stupid enough to sign up for AT&T. It, and AT&T's new data contract, provides all the reason anyone needs to avoid the iPhone and the iPad (and I can't wait for the Android Pad).

Posted by: mibrooks27 | June 7, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

@mibrooks27--back in the day, before the iPhone was released, Apple approached VZW about being the "exclusive" carrier but, VZW refused because it wanted to determine the features to be included on the iPhone and be available on its network. SPJ/Apple said no. Then the iPhone was released and it changed the "Smartphone" market, stood it on its ear and everyone--carriers and manufacturers began to "try different". I use a pay as you go phone but, I follow tech news. I think VZW "blew it" by not taking Apple's initial offer. And do you really think that VZW won't start capping, tiering and having similar issues just like AT&T, as its network gets hit with more web/data hungry users? Most likely yes, if there are 12-15 million Android phones online in the next 18 months.

Use whatever it is you like and/or can afford. Be happy with your choice, after all, you're paying for it. No one should need to denigrate another's choice to feel abetter about one's own. So, it shouldn't matter what phone/computer/car/hamburger/credit card/ bank/ etc... someone else is using. The great thing is there is now more choice than there was BEFORE the iPhone.

Posted by: dkjazz3 | June 8, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse