Some time off after a 1.0 release

Usually, you would have seen more than one post on this blog by Monday evening. This, however, hasn't been a usual week: My wife and I had our first child Sunday morning.

This blessed event will have the usual side effects on my schedule, so I'm taking the next three weeks off for bonding time with our daughter.

The blog won't go completely dark in that time. I've cued up a few reviews that I kept pushing aside for breaking news for the next three Wednesdays, and you'll see a PostPoints tip on each of the next three Mondays. (I recycled some 2007-vintage items for the occasion.)

But I will not be writing Fast Forward or Help File until I return. So as of Friday, the streak of uninterrupted columns that dates to my first piece in September of 1999 will end. That was never going to continue indefinitely--as I wrote here last September, when I observed the column's 10th anniversary, "This streak's gotta end at some point." I can't think of a better reason than this weekend's news.

I'm not going to ignore my e-mail completely, but unless you're writing with a life-threatening emergency, please don't expect a reply while I'm out.(If you are writing with a life-threatening emergency, you should probably consider requesting help from somebody who's not home on paternity leave.)

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you all again in the second half of August.

By Rob Pegoraro  |  July 26, 2010; 5:04 PM ET
Categories:  The business we have chosen
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PostPoints tip: 'QR Codes' defined
Next: Bonus review: Intel Wireless Display

Comments

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome to the wild, wild world, Little Lady Pegoraro! We will expect at least a couple of pictures at some point!

Posted by: LBinVA | July 26, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Mazel Tov! Enjoy your well earned time off...

Posted by: JkR- | July 26, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the adventure of a lifetime! Congratulations to the three of you!

Posted by: maxinea | July 26, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Rob!

Posted by: SoulPole | July 26, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Awesome! Congrats to the recently expanded Pegoraro family.

Posted by: davezatz | July 26, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

First question, did Apple approve of this unauthorized app?

Seconds, congrats. Welcome to fatherhood. And try not to pass on the Apple bias.

Posted by: tundey | July 26, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Many congratulations. As many people say, it just keeps getting better but you'll miss each stage after you pass it. At least, until she turns into a teenager. Then she will be a monster until she hits 21 and returns to sanity.

Posted by: ssolomo | July 26, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Rob and wife congratulations! Some of the best reading/bonding books == Sandra Boynton's Moo Boo LaLa, Pajama Time, and the Going to Bed Book. They grow with your family -- enjoy and marvel, and don't forget where you put the baby...when you are putting her down after the midnight feedings :-)

Posted by: bagend | July 26, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Congratulations! Don't show any fear, babies can smell fear on a new father (they have very sensitive noses). I kid, sort of.

My daughter is 16 months now, but I remember very well what it was like to be in your shoes. I'm sure you've received all kinds of advice from people you actually know, as opposed to random commenters, but let me just say one thing I learned that I wished I knew going in--every baby is different.

So don't worry if the books (or your relatives or co-workers) say she's supposed to have teeth at Month X, or be crawling at Month Y, or sleep through the night at Month Z, and these things don't happen "on time". If anything on a developmental schedule happens early, great, that's one less thing to worry about. But if she's a bit behind, it will most likely not be the end of the world.

The most important thing, as you mentioned, is to bond with her, and show her she's loved and cared for. The rest will more or less take care of itself.

Posted by: bucky_katt | July 27, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Rob! Enjoy your time together.

Posted by: SC54HI | July 27, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

HaHa
Now the REAL work begins!!!

Posted by: DrBones721 | July 27, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations! Enjoy your time off with your new daughter!

Posted by: dina32 | July 27, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I echo the congratulations to you and your wife. Since you will be at home and will not be sleeping....if you can get Verizon to do some customer service work....that would be great. Nevermind, that would mean you're away from us until your daughter is in college.
Stop in and tell us how parenthood is going from time to time.

Posted by: tbva | July 27, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Super congrats to you and the Mrs., Rob! Please post photos and let us know you daughter's name when you get a chance.

Posted by: CafeBeouf | July 27, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

New intellectual property. Congratulations.

Try to always be kind with her. It can be frustrating, but that's OK. Still try.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | July 27, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations! The fun starts when she learns to say 'no'.

Posted by: albertpc | July 27, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Congrats!

She's lucky, birthday so far from Christmas that Daddy will be easy to talk into big presents for both.

I expect to see ratings on toddler and child resistance/compatibility in future reviews. ;)

Posted by: wiredog | July 28, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

congrats on the baby!

Posted by: BMACattack | July 30, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to you and your wife Rob. Hope you are getting at least one good night's sleep between the two of you! I can still remember the feeling I had the moment my 1.0 came out. The whole world changes.

Posted by: nighthawk700 | August 1, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse