Yahoo suffers brief outage -- and I missed the whole thing

A week ago, the Washington area suffered a magnitude 3.6 earthquake -- and I slept through the whole thing. Apparently the same thing happened with Yahoo today: The site's services suffered a brief outage earlier this afternoon, but I never noticed.

My first notice of this event was a short Huffington Post piece that pointed to DownRightNow.com's page for Yahoo Mail; the crowdsourced outage-reporting site's data indicated about three hours of disrupted service. Other indirect evidence comes from some Twitter updates tagged "#yahoomail" and, less flatteringly, "#yahoofail."

Neither Yahoo Mail's blog or Twitter feed mentions any disruptions or downtime, however. (Here, Yahoo could stand to imitate Google's Apps Status page.)

Yahoo publicist Dana Lengkeek sent this response to my query:

For a brief period early this morning, certain areas of Yahoo! were inaccessible to a portion of our users due to issues with a third-party Internet Service Provider. We identified the issue and quickly resolved it by rerouting traffic from that provider. We know this may have caused some inconvenience and we apologize to our users who might have been affected. We take these issues extremely seriously, and Yahoo! is instituting new processes to protect against similar incidents occurring again.

I had no direct experience with any of this because I basically stopped using my Yahoo Mail account years ago -- it's now the address I give out when sites insist I provide an e-mail address, even though I have no plans for any meaningful interaction there. I check that address maybe once a week. Nor do I use Yahoo's search at all (remember, it's going to become Bing soon enough), and even my Flickr account sees little activity (Facebook has become my main photo-sharing site).

I can only imagine how big of a deal this would have been a few years ago. But after years of confusion, indecision and apathy by the Sunnyvale, Calif., firm -- something I was reminded of last week when I had a long chat with a former lawyer for the company -- a Yahoo outage doesn't seem to shake the Earth anymore.

Did you have trouble using Yahoo Mail or any of Yahoo's other services today? Please post your report in the comments.

By Rob Pegoraro  |  July 22, 2010; 5:46 PM ET
Categories:  E-mail , The Web
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Flipboard's iPad Web-zine flops under weight of its own hype
Next: Apple delays white iPhone 4 again, launches free-case program

Comments

I used Yahoo mail and Yahoo groups several times today. No problems.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | July 22, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

That there would be such a panic about ANY personal webmail site being down for a few hours is more alarming than the outage itself. It's not like the Exchange servers at a Fortune 100 company or a federal government agency went dark. Hey, it's free. You get what you pay for.

Posted by: 54Stratocaster | July 22, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I was awake during the quake (5AM?) and did not realize it to be one till I saw the local section on WaPo.

Was equally baffled by the Yahoo outage as I use Messenger (IM) heavily. I naturally assumed outage from the ISP (Comcast) but realized soon it was limited to Yahoo. For us (Columbia MD), it seemed to be from 10-12 AM EST.

Posted by: maitri99 | July 22, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for this news. When I couldn't access my Yahoo mail in the usual way after a few attempts, I tried another way of using menus from the main Yahoo site. I wasn't sure if Yahoo Mail was down or they had denied access by typing mail.yahoo;.com.

I assumed they were victims of a denial of service attack. But the confusing part was that I could access yahoo.com. So I appreciate your news about Yahoo's statement regarding the cause of this event.

For all of Yahoo's insecurities and problems, I find their spam filter to be the best. I trust them more than MSN or gmail.

Thanks again.

Posted by: Instructor5 | July 22, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I didn't have any problem with Yahoo today, at least during the time I was using it.

BTW I greatly prefer Yahoo's search results to Google's. I've hardly used Google search at all for a few years. I'm really disappointed Yahoo search is going to be replaced by Bing.

Posted by: yrral | July 23, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Yahoo had its turn and is finally coming home to roost. More people use Gmail due in part to being so precise on spam blocking. Google will one day control all aspects of technology worldwide.

Posted by: salafihawk | July 23, 2010 4:42 AM | Report abuse

Yahoo mail is still my primamry and it was never down for me yesterday. But I have been having more problems with it being slow over the last couple of weeks. I am sorry to hear that Yahoo search is going to become Bing. Google is still my primary, when I have tried to use Bing, the results are basically worthless. Yahoo gives better results. Bing is only good for their maps.
Interesting some people critisize Yahoo for their spam. I also have a Gmail account and find Yahoo spam filter to be much better.

Posted by: mdembski1 | July 23, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the Yahoo problem bled over to Verizon? Known issue: some folks can't log in to get email via email client. Can log into webmail to see it but.....one more trouble ticket. I am staring a collection of them.

Posted by: tbva | July 23, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Yahoo! is becoming more suckie-suck by the day. Not just me that thinks that - Wall Street does too. Check out the share price.

Posted by: tuzoner | July 23, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Yahoo was briefly down for me yesterday.

I use their mail service exclusively for both business and personal email even though I have other accounts. I have mail from those other accounts and domains forwarded to Yahoo and auto-filtered into custom folders; it's sort of a unified inbox for me. I can also respond to mail using any alias that I've created for my custom domains (most people don't even realize that I'm using yahoo when I send emails).

I have Gmail accounts but have never gotten used to their threaded email messaging format.

Posted by: trpt | July 23, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

yahoo has given me fits for months now, locking my computer, unplugging, etc...all there add-ons and personal intrusion have left this fan feeling not so excited about the best free site up and i live in tennessee - the earthquake just maybe brought it to everyone's attention - they are doing all the things facebook has been forced to back down on so you'd think they'd get the point - yahoo was always my first choice - now, only use it for one organization's emails - used to be my go-to page....yahoo - help!!!

Posted by: suzanne18 | July 24, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Belive it or not, I always have problems with my Yahoo Mail. I have three web sites with them and there are times when I can't access one account or I am locked out all together.

What is most intersting, is that ATT owns the Yahoo mail/web hosting and if you are not careful, they will try to connect your web service or subscribed e-mail service with your home phone account. Say OUCH when you open you ATT home phone or mobile bill!

Posted by: techie_green_diva | July 25, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: techie_green_diva | July 25, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: techie_green_diva
------

Yikes! I was checking my AT&T wireless account on line and they gave me an offer of an @att.net e-mail account, which I signed up for. It turned out to be handled by the Yahoo mail system. Maybe I should have read the fine print.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | July 25, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I suspect that a lot of the problems with yahoo groups servers being bombarded with server attacks are coming from facebook which is an incredibly unethical company.

But yahoo will probably be out of business before the dopes running that company figure this out.

Yahoo mail is much better than hotmail.com and groups is a better
product too but the people in charge are hopelessly incompetent.

WRZ ....
ccdogpark at yahooDotCom

Posted by: GoogleFor-DogPark-National-News | July 26, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse