Another day, another goofy Google logo

For the second day in a row, Google's home-page logo doesn't just sit there. But instead of turning into a sort of "follow the bouncing ball" game as Tuesday's animated logo did, today's version simply changes color from gray to its usual hues as you type a query, one letter at a time.

google_gray_logo.png

The reason for all this fuss should be apparent at 12:30 Eastern today, when the Web firm has scheduled a press conference in San Francisco to announce something new in search technology. Reports--see, for instance, those from Business Insider and Google Operating System--point to the arrival of "streaming search," in which Google displays search results matching your input as you type them, instead of simply suggesting matching search terms as you enter a query.

(FYI to Google PR: The invitation you sent to that event got held up in a spam filter... run by Google. Might want to look into that.)

I'll have a post this afternoon on the news, assuming it is what we think it is. You can also watch Google's event live on YouTube; if you do, you're welcome to use the comments here to share your feedback.

By Rob Pegoraro  |  September 8, 2010; 9:28 AM ET
Categories:  Digital culture , Search , The Web
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DirecTV opens NFL Sunday Ticket to non-subscribers
Next: Google debuts 'Instant' search

Comments

there was a mandala on one of the O's earlier in the week that you could manipulate with your mouse

Posted by: lambasbaru | September 8, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Rob, has Google indicated at all why they won't design these things to work on certain platforms? I haven't been able to enjoy any of it, as the evil work overlords do not allow us to download new software. I'm stuck with IE. :-(
Thanks.

Posted by: CJH2 | September 8, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Why would I want my search results to change per typed character? Do I really want the search results for "Jav" when I'm trying to search for "Java"?

Hopefully this isn't about including realtime FaceBook updates or Twitter. I couldn't care less about those.

Posted by: JeramieH | September 8, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I agree w/JeramieH above. I hope it's a feature that can be disabled/enabled.

Posted by: tbva | September 8, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Using FF 3.6 I don't see it. I did see the balls yesterday. I perform a search and the logo does not change. Actually as soon as I start typing it moves to the side of the search results and I need to return to www.google.com to see the logo in the middle.

Posted by: tojo45 | September 8, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Yep, it's 'instant' search. At least for me, when I just tried it, the search box was very very slow to respond to keystrokes.

Now, I'm as big a google-phile as anyone, but when I read this...

it does give me pause. Just like "psychics" use subtle clues to tell you all about yourself, Google uses a mountain of data, cookies, search history, browsing habits, etc. I know it happens already, but still....

Posted by: db_in_va | September 8, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

You can turn it off in Settings ==> Search Settings ==> Google Instant.

Posted by: TomR3 | September 8, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

IOS 4.1 is out ... anyone know how to buy a game for Game Center??

Posted by: upland_bill | September 8, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Having results displayed while typing the search string is like walking down the library aisles to find the call number of a book you think you want. The wonderful thing is the serendipity of finding something new and unexpected. I love it.

Posted by: Christina405 | September 9, 2010 5:12 AM | Report abuse

I like that Google is starting to push forward into HTML 5. It will force firefox to become fully compliant, and may be the death knell for all those old versions of IE that are forced on us.

Our company just switched from IE6! I told them to go right to 8, but they insisted on making little jumps, so now we'll have 7 for years because they underestimate the effort to change.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | September 9, 2010 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Uh, Rob, the spam filters are controlled on your end. Not Googles. This is the best technology SME that WP has to offer?

Posted by: greasepen | September 9, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I noticed the instant search yesterday afternoon; I'll probably turn it off, though. It would be nice if Google allowed the user a bit finer-grained control over "instant search": e.g. don't do the search until x characters have been typed.

Posted by: exerda | September 9, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Now, I'm as big a google-phile as anyone, but when I read this...

Posted by: db_in_va | September 8, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse
__________________

Ever seen 'Minority Report'?

Posted by: cbmuzik | September 9, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

YAHOO.COM and ASK.COM have done this "instant search" FOR YEARS.

Sorry if I'm not impressed, and Sergey Brin's comment today that this was a "new dawn in computing" is beyond ludicrous.

GOOGLE is playing catch-up.

I don't know what's worse - GOOGLE playing the media boys like Pegoraro or the media boys being so goggle-eyed about google they can't even see this.

Posted by: lquarton | September 10, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse