Facebook is down. No, it's up. Yes, it's down again.

Facebook is having some awkward moments today. First it wasn't responding at all. Then it returned, but a lot of functions--like, say, updating your status--didn't work. Now it's down again, throwing off "DNS" errors (meaning it's dropped off the Domain Name System map that lets you connect to a Web server by typing an address like facebook.com instead of typing a numerical IP address).

Sites that use the social network's "social plugin" feature to show who's recommended a page with a click of a Facebook "Like" button are also showing DNS-error messages in place of the usual "X friends liked this page" badge--why, look, there was one right below.

I trust you all can find other things to do online while the company works these things out.

(Sorry, I don't have anything more profound to say. Maybe I will if these hiccups go on for more than a few hours or if the explanation turns out to be particularly hilarious--although by then I'll have editors asking why I haven't filed my column.)

(Abbreviated disclaimer: Post CEO Don Graham on Facebook board, the Post markets self on Facebook.)

In the meantime, please share your own theory of what sent Facebook offline in the comments.

Update, 9:08 p.m. Facebook's engineering page now has a note apologizing for and explaining the outage. It blames "an unfortunate handling of an error condition" in which an "automated system for verifying configuration values ended up causing much more damage than it fixed." The only way to fix it was--you guessed it--turning off the entire site and then slowly bringing it back online.

By Rob Pegoraro  | September 23, 2010; 4:25 PM ET
Categories:  Social media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blockbuster goes bust
Next: Notes on three new Android phones: Verizon's Fascinate and Droid 2, Sprint's Epic

Comments

clearly Facebook going down is the work of the Clintons. and the Democrats. :-)

Posted by: mpfierro | September 23, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I can see The Onion headline:
FACEBOOK DOWN, MILLIONS FRIENDLESS

Posted by: jgllo | September 23, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

The GOP forgot to include Facebook in its Pledge to America. Priorities, people, priorities!! Fix Facebook first, then we'll deal with health care.

Posted by: tmiller2009 | September 23, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

mpfierro is a poopy stupid head. He eats his buggers.

Posted by: swatkins1 | September 23, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

al-quida per new tactic of small scale disruptive attacks.....

Posted by: stephencraiganderson | September 23, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Facebook went down because alien beings from a far away world intercepted a frequency asking the aliens if they would like to "accept Earth's friend request" One by one, the aliens added Earth as their friend and the sheer number of new ,alien, users trying to play farmville and win a ninja/pirate war caused the Facebook system to crash. Sooo, It was all Earth's fault, go figure.
...and, yes, that is how bored I am without Facebook haha

Posted by: fixcongress | September 23, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Posted by: melador | September 23, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

When in doubt, blame 4chan?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 23, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

@mpfierro

So cutting out useless things in our lives and making us realize we could do something better? Sounds about right.

Posted by: -01- | September 23, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see the "Facebook-down baby boom" 9 months from now...

Posted by: maverickjn | September 23, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@Bawlmer51 as long as you don't talk about /b/...oops.

Posted by: -01- | September 23, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Damn it....I need my FACEBOOK FIX!!

Posted by: bobby20 | September 23, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see the "Facebook-down baby boom" 9 months from now...

that is hilarious.

and as to the cause? north korea, obviously!

Posted by: susef | September 23, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

As a journalist, did you actually write "like, say..."

I sure hope your grammer teacher isn't reading this.

Posted by: naptowngirl1980 | September 23, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Is this also why tumblr isn't working? Because I can live without facebook, but tumblr is far better for procrastination.

Posted by: monocles | September 23, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"FACEBOOK CRASHES-- WORLDWIDE WORKER PRODUCTIVITY INCREASES 50% IN A SINGLE DAY!"

"In an unprecedented joint statement issued by the G-12 Industrialized nations today, world leaders declared an end to the previously lingering recession."

"DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE SOARS 114% IN 4 HOURS UPON NEWS OF THE FACEBOOK CRASH!"

"NORTH KOREAN LEADER KIM JONG IL ASKS "WHAT IS THIS 'FACEBOOK'?"

Posted by: LAWPOOL | September 23, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Today's to-do list:

Take over the world in 4 easy steps:
1. get everyone hooked on facebook
2. take down facebook
4. rule with an iron fist

Posted by: drd5 | September 23, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Facebook first casualty of Death Panels.

Posted by: BonkOif | September 23, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I think NeuStar of Sterling, Va., provides DNS service to FB. I could be wrong.

Posted by: failsafe | September 23, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

It is Simple They are Uploading Some Major Changes and Code crashed in the middle :-)

Posted by: smnabil | September 23, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay Lohan must be drunk again.

Posted by: solarone | September 23, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

oh noooooooooooo!

Now my crops will wither!

Posted by: bmschumacher | September 23, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Looks like an issue with facebook's name servers...appears they use their own name servers instead of ISP or domain registrar name servers...

I hope it stays down for a long time...forcing people to pick up a telephone or actually meet their real and true friends face-to-face...

I imagine that so many pyschologically dependent facebook users are feeling the reality of their unimportance in our world right now while facebook is down...

Stimulate our economy please...stay off facebook and go out to have a drink or eat dinner out with your friends.

Posted by: fedupwithbs | September 23, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay Lohan must be drunk again.

I like that you provided a link to share this on Facebook.

Oh, and one more thing. Can you stop Rick Sanchez over at CNN....from ever Tweeting again. One word: Annoying

Posted by: solarone | September 23, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

BIG CRASH! OH, NOES!

Posted by: bs2004 | September 23, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

ROFLOL!!!!

Posted by: jonathanrook76 | September 23, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm just glad it isn't me; I was just about to start e-mailing people I know to see if they had access I did not! Now I'm going to have to run errands, sigh.

Posted by: maursullivan | September 23, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

my mafia needs me :(

Posted by: stephencraiganderson | September 23, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for whoever is the main person being relied on to fix the problem.

Posted by: barbnc | September 23, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

It's obviously Justin Bieber's fault...

Posted by: bmp246 | September 23, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

"Facebook first casualty of Death Panels."

BonkOif, you win ten internets for that comment!

Posted by: jco68 | September 23, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I speculate that Facebook is down because Zuckerberg is protesting the production of "The Social Network". Seems he's going to be shown in a rather unflattering light. In all honesty, who cares. It will be up and running soon. The world will continue to turn, and hell the DOW may go haywire for a day. All is well.

By the way, Mr. Journalist, it's "grammar", not grammer. Hope your teacher isn't reading either.

Posted by: spears5 | September 23, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

its up again 5:06 pm 9/23/10

Posted by: stephencraiganderson | September 23, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

-------------------

You are probably right. I know that yesterdays outage coincided with an update based on a change in the GUI. Facebook has become a patchwork of code and is inherently buggy.

I use Facebook daily but I also hate it. They just seem evil. Whereas with Google, they seem nice as far as their company public perception.

Posted by: rcc_2000 | September 23, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Chezare Hines is...glad he is STILL able to keep everyone in the world up to the second informed of my EVERY breath!

Status: In a relationship

Political Views: Vote for the Best Liar

Kimberly Johns answered a question about Chezare Hines...

Posted by: chezarehines | September 23, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

This is clearly Obama's fault!!

Posted by: msh41 | September 23, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

it seems to be working again, after throwing off those DNS errors.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 23, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Didn't a certain Facebook founder just give a large amount of money to schools. Maybe by bringing down FB,more students will do their homework.
Nah!

Posted by: pjohn2 | September 23, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Clearly, this is soooooooooooo much Weingarten's fault.

Posted by: hlabadie | September 23, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Some might opine it's either:

1. All Bush/Cheney's fault;

2. All Obama's fault;

3. All the Republicans' fault;

4. All the Democrats' fault;

5. All the Tea Partiers' fault; or a much more likely theory--

6. A despicable plot by interstellar aliens disguising themselves as Asian Stink Bugs that are currently infesting even the most secure offices of government in Washington, D.C. Hear me, folks, they are everywhere.

I am sure their interstellar craft is probably perched somewhere just out in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains. It makes sense that they would first infect the most important computer servers to our society, Facebook, before going on to attack the Pentagon, the NSA, CIA, Fort Meade and other vital secure locations such as the White House and Ben's Chili Bowl.

Beware of the alien stinkbugs! They are here among us.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | September 23, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Clearly it is an attack by the Tea Klan who think Facebook is part of the "SOCIAList Media"

Posted by: rcc_2000 | September 23, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

These comments need "like" buttons!
They're hilarious!

Posted by: carolyn2006 | September 23, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Mayhaps it is a clever plot by the producers of "The Social Network" .. ;)

Posted by: DaphneDuck_3620 | September 23, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Zuckerberg is going to blame this one on the makers of Diaspora.

Posted by: cbmuzik | September 23, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

OMG. I can't read the Post if I don't know how many people liked an article! OMG, what am I going to do? They need to fix this now! OMG!

Posted by: jjtwo | September 23, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

And I thought it went down to keep users from responding to the movie.

Posted by: frb2749 | September 23, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse