Posted at 9:55 AM ET, 12/23/2010

Bank of America buys up anti-BoA domain names

By Hayley Tsukayama

Talk about keeping your enemies closer. In a preemptive move against a potential Wikileaks attack, Bank of America has gone on a shopping spree, registering domain names of sites that insult their top executives.

Domain Name Wire reported on Monday that the bank has bought "hundreds of domain name registrations," with names such BrianMoynihanBlows.com and BrianMoynihanSucks.com, in reference to Bank of America's chief executive. The bank also purchased .net and .org versions of the sites, plus some that take aim at chief financial officer Charles Noski, Chairman of the Board Charles Holliday and board member Charles Rossotti.

The move may backfire on the company as word spreads. Gawker has already made a list of cheeky and insulting suggestions for domain names. And it challenged readers to do the same.

(h/t to Techland)

By Hayley Tsukayama  | December 23, 2010; 9:55 AM ET
Categories:  The Web
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skype hits the skids, suffers extensive outage (updated after jump)
Next: HTC Incredible HD likely launching Jan. 6

Comments

The internet has such a wonderful way of playing with corporations who think they can use their landbased anarky business tactics on the internet. You will fail and fail miserably BofA.

Posted by: Desertdiva1 | December 23, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for anything that will make Bank of America look bad. They deserve every bit of it. They're a disgrace to banking.

Posted by: mbrumble | December 23, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the above comments. I have an EDWARD JONES investment credit card. No where does it say that Bank of America owns the card. They upped my interest to 23.99%, I have never been late or missed a payment. I went to another company to receive help in lowering the interest but BOM will not allow it. That is when I found out that they owned my card.
Thanks, Pat

Posted by: pkamuda | December 23, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I have my mortgage with BofA because they bought Countrywide and my investments are thru them because of ML. I have not had a problem. My checking acct too. Can someone tell me, just for my own edification, what BofA has done to earn this bad reputation? I'd really like to know. The man with the Edward Jones card? Could he not have gone elsewhere to get a card?

Posted by: nicholjo1 | December 23, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

StankofAmerica.com

Countrywidehole.com

BankofOrwell.com

SwindlersofAmerica.com

HomewreckersofAmerica.com

This could get to be a hobby for a little while, couldn't it?

Posted by: lonquest | December 23, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

This could get to be a hobby for a little while, couldn't it?

Posted by: lonquest | December 23, 2010 2:54 PM |
=======================================
It's been a 'hobby' for a very long time (if you are in the firewall business).

The strategy is doomed, and furthermore that has been known for years. Read about 'Enumerating Badness' here.

Posted by: gannon_dick | December 23, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

NICHOLJO1: for answers to your questions, please do a search on "Terry Goddard Bank of America".

You will find info on the lawsuit my state A.G. has filed against BOA. When he announced the suit, calls and email from BOA customers in other states poured in, so expect litigation from other states soon.

Posted by: lquarton | December 23, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I have always preferred skank of america

Posted by: woodtim | December 24, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Stink of America
Stank of America
Bank of America Sucks
BofAisDOA

By golly it is habit causing. This was only 30 seconds.

Posted by: Desertdiva1 | December 26, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

BankrobbersofAmerica

that's the one I've heard...

Posted by: marvin_gardens | December 26, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse