Posted at 3:00 AM ET, 12/ 6/2010

Facebook gives user profiles a facelift

By Rob Pegoraro

Facebook profiles have a new look, courtesy of the latest in a long series of redesigns on the widely used social network.

The profile facelift -- announced on Facebook's Twitter feed and blog a few hours before founder Mark Zuckerberg was supposed to debut it on Sunday evening's broadcast of 60 Minutes -- reshuffles the information highlighted on your listing.

zuck_fb_profile.png

Instead of starting off with a long list of your latest status updates and posts by friends, your profile now leads off with a quick, bullet-point summary of your life: job, education, family, birthday, current city, hometown and so on. That's followed by a gallery of the five most recent photos of you, either posted by you or by friends who tagged you in the shot.

(The screengrab above shows Zuckerberg's profile.)

The new profile format's "Info" section--the former home for much of this biographical data--attempts to liven up that text-heavy page with thumbnail images and icons representing the occupational, educational and other affiliations listed there. The Info page also incorporates the "About You" description that once ran below your profile photo.

This redesign also makes your profile's photo gallery easier to browse: You can keep scrolling down to have additional photos appear instead of having to click through to overflow pages. Your friends list, in turn, can now be searched by such criteria as hometown and interests.

The new profile design isn't an automatic upgrade for now, though. You have to opt into it at facebook.com/about/profile. But if my own Facebook news feed is any indication, people aren't hesitating to make that switch; 22 friends had chosen it by 2 a.m.

(Disclosure: Post Co. chairman Donald E. Graham sits on Facebook's board of directors -- and he, too, has switched on the new profile in his own account.)

Many of these friends had also begun adding more details about themselves in response to the new profile page's suggestions, which I can only imagine is exactly how management at this Palo Alto, Calif., company wants things to work.

What's your review of the new profile? If you've opted in, have you started adding to your profile information -- or has the increased visibility of your biography led you to take anything out?

10:40 a.m. My colleagues Melissa Bell--who also blogged about the new profile design--and Katie Rogers are going to try a little experiment in reader interaction. Tweet us your questions about this change, using the hashtag #wpchat, and we'll answer them at 2 p.m. (We won't turn down comments here, but I know that some of you have complained about being unable to log in to post one.)

2:21 p.m. And now, answers to your questions--posted here, since that's where more of you asked:

"Does this publish any more information about me?" No, this just rearranges what people see first. Your existing privacy settings remain intact.

"How do I edit the set of photos Facebook automatically puts on my profile?" To remove one from that gallery, just click the small "x" that will appear in its top-right cursor if you leave the cursor there for a moment. This won't delete the photo itself or untag you from it, but it does serve to clean up redundant or poorly-composed pictures.

"How does the new layout affect business pages?" It doesn't. The public pages companies, schools, organizations and individuals can set up to promote themselves work the same as ever. But I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the new profile design migrate over to pages later on.

By Rob Pegoraro  | December 6, 2010; 3:00 AM ET
Categories:  Social media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WikiLeaks sinks, resurfaces (repeat as necessary)
Next: PostPoints tip: Ask me questions in public

Comments

It Sucks!! The New Changes are making people Furious. The new look is aim towards a resume, very simple and no buttons or status update on your main page. This is the same as a layout made out of a MS Document(.Doc)

Also, Its a no way out ticket..No Option to Rollback, So your Stuck with the changes for good.

Here is what everyone is saying on their blog. They are Pissed! off!... Everyone Hates It.

Posted by: yoyob4real | December 6, 2010 4:27 AM | Report abuse

From some postings that I have read so far, a lot of people are not happy with the switch and are being very vocal about it.

Posted by: OceanPark90 | December 6, 2010 4:27 AM | Report abuse

Facebook is starting to piss me off. This is absolutely a violation of privacy; instead of helping its customers protect themselves from identity theft, they’re encouraging it, what lowlifes. People should be given an option to determine if they want all there, information featured in such a way. This is going to be a rocky week for Facebook, this is absolutely disgusting.

Posted by: linda87 | December 6, 2010 4:53 AM | Report abuse

The Information Provided Is For Educational Purposes Only!!
*******************************************
This may be the project name for the type of changes they made to facebook..I may not be 100% correct...but the information speak's for it's self on the CSS Files.

New Layout: Project is called..
/*1291008541,176833976*/

The Old version layout is called:
/*1291008606,169775813*/

The links provided below, Are the current CSS Style Changes, To Facebook as of 12/6/10

Here is an inside look if your web designer, and understand the information.

The Information Provided Is For Educational Purposes Only!! Copyright's to Facebook.com

The Older Version

The New Version

I hope this information help's and get an understanding of the new changes from the old changes.

Posted by: yoyob4real | December 6, 2010 4:57 AM | Report abuse

I don't like the way they changed link handling on the 'client' side. I really don't care too much about the profile aspects of it.

Posted by: Nymous | December 6, 2010 5:31 AM | Report abuse

This is the equivalent of new Coke, when the general public will demand Coca-Cola classic

Posted by: bernard_thompson | December 6, 2010 5:41 AM | Report abuse

Facebook stories and comments about Facebook stories keep me laughing. There's a whole Alice-in-Wonderland aspect to people engaging in an activity whose most important characteristic is the display of basically private information on the Internet, and then complaining about lack of, or intrusions into privacy.

Posted by: Curmudgeon10 | December 6, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Every Facebook redesign has been greeted with jeers and disappointments. You should never change a familiar interface unless it creates an obvious benefit to the user. It's like moving around the furniture just to torment your family. Users get accustomed to the ergonomics of the site and have to relearn the interface every time you change it. Unless there is some obvious improvement, most users just get upset when a website does a gratuitous redesign.

Posted by: AxelDC | December 6, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

I haven't got it yet, and from the looks of it, I will wait until I have to. It's a social network, but the social part of it is not visible at all in the screen grab. The postings are what I use it for.

And I agree with the earlier poster, I don't see the point in making changes for the sake of change. IT IS NOT AN IMPROVEMENT!

Posted by: tojo45 | December 6, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I have to add, I am sure they do usability testing, but whoever gave this a passing grade must not have wanted to piss off Mr. Facebook. It's a freaking resume!

Posted by: tojo45 | December 6, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tojo45 | December 6, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

First of all, privacy settings haven't changed at all. You still have the option to hide all of your info. Secondly, the screen grab shows Zuckerberg's info page, not his wall page. The wall posts still exist and are the first thing shown when you go to the page of a friend of yours. I do think it is trying to take over some of LinkedIn's purpose, though.

Posted by: dickinson11 | December 6, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

It might be interesting to discover what motivated this change: user request or fiat by Zuckerdoodle? I'm guessing the latter, which might explain the level of unhappiness with it.

Posted by: BoteMan | December 6, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I don't like it. I tune into FAcebook for the status of my friends and CHOSEN commercial sites. Personal profiles are private except for my friends. Privacy - TMI - I don't want to know nor see details about other people. You've overstepped yourself zuckerman.

Posted by: gofornot | December 6, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

My big question is how the new layout is effecting business pages? Is it? Haven't seen one yet. We build custom Facebook pages that work with the TABS but I'm not seeing any tabs on the new design (although all the pages I've seen so far are personal pages, not business). Anyone? Look at an example on our own FB page: http://www.facebook.com/samsonmedia
Thanks.
Gene Sower

Posted by: samsonmedia | December 6, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks.
Gene Sower

Posted by: samsonmedia | December 6, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

According to one of my FB friends, if you try the new Facebook layout and don't like it you have to deactivate your account for a few minutes and then reactivate it. You will get back your previous version.

Posted by: jgmann | December 6, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

If the new design just rearranges the data you already have on your profile and does not force you to add more to it then I'm for it. Personally, I like the new changes. There was a poll about this from the morning, http://my-take.com/poll/How-do-you-feel-about-Facebooks-new-profile-page It is more personal and as long as Facebook didn't change my privacy settings then my personal info shouldn't be shared with the world. I'm not sure what the outcry is. If you are freaked out by people knowing about you then either change your settings or put less information online. It is about time they created a more visually appealing design.

Posted by: ElsieW1n | December 7, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Slightly different query here, but it is one that I have been puzzling over in the fb universe for a while.

Sometimes there will be a post by me ABOVE the "What's on your mind?" window on my profile. I have NEVER figured out how to force what I want to appear up there OR to get rid of something I didn't want up there. Anyone know the solution to this query?

Posted by: RHMathis | December 7, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse