Posted at 10:10 AM ET, 12/10/2010

First whispers of the iPad2?

By Washington Post editors

Apple component suppliers gave Reuters a Friday morning scoop on an Apple tablet that could be the next-generation iPad.

Sources from five companies in the Apple supply chain spoke to the news agency's branch in Hong Kong. Three companies -- chip designer Wintek, battery maker Simplo and cover manufacturer AVY Precision -- confirmed they were preparing for the next round of iPads. Two camera companies, Genius Electronic Optical Co Ltd and Largan Precision, confirmed they had started a new supply deal with the Cupertino, Calif.-based, company.

Two of the companies said they were making new parts for the next round of iPad production. The main upgrades? Front and rear-facing cameras and an overall improved device: slimmer, lighter and with better resolution.

Further fanning the iPad2 rumors, Apple Insider reported Thursday that leaked images from two case manufacturers, Shenzhen MacTop Electronics and Kodowarisan, also suggest a rear-facing camera and a spot for an SD card slot.

h/t to Fortune for their blog post.

By Washington Post editors  | December 10, 2010; 10:10 AM ET
Categories:  Apple, The Web
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Apple ups some iTunes song previews to 90 seconds
Next: Wrapping up our gadget guidance -- and reopening the 'Should I get an iPad now?' question

Comments

So, how will Obama's Bush tax cuts change this situation of jobs in Taiwan and Hong Kong and create jobs in the US?

Answer...the Bush tax cuts do not create jobs in the US....not as long as Obama fails to address our broken trade policies that allows US Companies to source everything from outside the US. Look at Apple....they are just like every other US company....not building things in the US.

Obama....we've had 7 years of Bush tax cuts...where are those jobs? Answer...in other countries.

Posted by: go2goal | December 10, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

^^ I'm sorry, that was the most off-topic comment ever. The Editorials are filed under "E", in case you didn't notice.

Posted by: mattt1986 | December 10, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I bet Dubya still uses a Compaq.

Posted by: dkp01 | December 10, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

sorry to you, dkp01, but go2goal's response is indeed 'on topic'. problem with so many of you tea partiers (and i'm assuming you're a tea partier) is that you have no imagination.

whoops, i need to back track on that statement: you have no imagination based on facts. you do have plenty of imagination based on fantasy, to wit, that 'silly sarah' could be elected president.

but getting back to go2goal's comment: he's on target with his criticism of the 'bush tax cuts' not creating jobs in the u.s. true, they have created jobs for some: financiers and mortgage/banking flim-flam men who created out of thin air the esoteric investment instruments for the wealthy to place all their new cash in hopes of returning even more cash.

and we know what those efforts led to.

Posted by: grasspress | December 10, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Is Apple going to repeat the "5 colors of iMac G3" originally done back in the early 90s?

That's one possibility.

Posted by: msbpodcats | December 10, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Also, I am not buying anything without Flash. This is a ploy to make us pay for apps.

Posted by: dabraat | December 10, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"Why doesn't somebody invent a pad-sized device I can slip my iPod or iPhone into, to make it bigger... This is a ploy to make us pay for apps."

1. An iPhone or iPod battery isn't--and can't be, given existing battery technology--powerful enough to provide decent running time for a tablet. Plus, you'd still have two devices anyway.
2. Are the upcoming Android-based tablets just ploys to make people pay for apps?

Posted by: jkinney5 | December 10, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Give me a break! We get a story on a technology company, and you whiners (from both the left and the right) turn it into a political tit-for-tat?

Getting back on topic, I do hope that they indeed give it an SD slot. I can live without USB on a portable device, but Apple has to give more storage options.

Posted by: c0lnag0 | December 10, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

While iPad2 is going to be good and on par in features with Galaxy tab, it'll probably cost the same $500 - $800 as the current iPad or even more. However, for $249 you can now get Android eReader/tablet hybrid device which combines the better parts of both eReader and tablet worlds. Such device is Nook Color from Barnes & Noble which has USB port (unlike current iPad). Nook Color has a new generation screen which is anti-glare coated and is better performing in sunlight and for reducing eye strain than current iPad's. The screen is one of the best and sharpest on the market and it's viewable at wide angles. It is great for PDF's, much better than Kindle. From the cost side, while more expensive than e-Ink Nook or Kindle, you can buy two Nook Color's for the price of one iPad. One can say that there's not many apps available for Nook Color - yet. Nook Color has several apps that already come with the device (Pandora Internet radio, QuickOffice, etc.) Also, Barnes & Noble recently released Nook SDK and Nook Developer platform that will allow most of the existing 100,000 Android apps be ported to it. With each firmware update, the device will become better and better and more and more apps will appear for it. Don't forget that it was only released in November of this year and (according to the new reports) B&N is scheduled to ship more than 1 million units by the end of 2010 - yes, in a little more than one month! Rest assured, a lot of existing and new Android apps will be flowing in for this device very soon.

Posted by: megoogler | December 10, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Apple may be able to attract more customers by dropping their price. I expect many consumers at this point would rather spend a couple hundred dollars extra for a laptop.

Posted by: Techtalker | December 10, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Ummm....who cares??? I can think of better ways to spend $500 in this economy than to blow it on another piece of electronics that will outdated in 6 more months. At least that's the way it is with any Apple products. Their products are soo outrageously priced you would think they're made in the US...wrong! Oh well, Steve Jobs sure makes people oooh and awww while completely ripping them off. Have you seen the yacht he owns?? It makes Bill Gates' look like a tugboat.

Posted by: Latitude33 | December 10, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I can't hardly wait for the new iPad 2. Go iPad2!
The iPad is expected to account for about 70 percent of the 60 million tablet PCs that will be shipped in 2011, till then I will get along with my current iPad v1.0 (http://amzn.to/asJ807) :)

Posted by: Tombb | December 10, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I purchased my iPad in May (had been waiting to try the 3G version, but decided to buy the 32-GB Wi-Fi version instead). I will consider upgrading to a new version when it is a year old. However, I have been satisfied with my current iPad, supplemented with my Clear 4G personal hotspot sometimes when away from home. I have not missed being able to take pictures with it. Usually have my iPhone 4G with me, as well. Photos go to Mobile Me and can be accessed in the Photos application on the iPad.

As for price, it will not go up. Since Apple is selling with little margin, the price will likely remain the same while offering the cameras and SD card slot.

Posted by: query0 | December 10, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

With this little bit of news sales of the iPad will tank as potential buyers will await the arrival of the new version. Expect some really deep discounts in the near future.

Posted by: RockDoctor | December 10, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

grasspress, you are just re-gurgitating what you hear from the liberal media.. and I would bet that you pay less than $2000 a year taxes to support our country's defense, infra-sructure, and common welfare. Why don't you put-up or shut-up?

Posted by: shawofpapago | December 11, 2010 4:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: shawofpapago | December 11, 2010 4:33 AM | Report abuse

Colleagues, please.

I was going to get an iPad for Christmas, but now I'm going to wait for the iPad2. I suppose as that launch approaches, the iPad price may go down, so maybe I'll reconsider.

Posted by: TheChileanPresidentIsMuchBetterRespondingToDisastersThanObama | December 11, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I see very little value in the cameras, especially if you own an iPhone 4 with the cameras as I do. The current iPad has a small, cheap little accessory that reads camera storage cards so I don't see much improvement from a built in card reader and the screen resolution on the current device is excellent. About the only significant improvement this article suggests to me would be making it lighter and thinner . . . and cheaper if that's the case.

It would also be nice if they made it capable of operating on some 3G network other than AT&T (if, by then, they have the Verizon iPhone out, why not? They already sell them in Verizon stores).

Posted by: BTinSF | December 11, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait for the upcoming iPad3D with full holographic technology that Steve Jobs stole from Area 51...

Posted by: ozpunk | December 11, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

dabraat said…

"Why doesn't somebody invent a pad-sized device I can slip my iPod or iPhone into, to make it bigger. I don't need a pad and a pod. I sometimes want a bigger pod and would pay a reasonable price to have a screen I could slip my iPod into to make it iPad sized."

Done and Done...

Problem is, Apple and Google have corned the market on innovative software developers so don't expect to see 300K available apps for this device.

Posted by: dwilliams2k2 | December 11, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

CES in January always tells us what great gadgets will be making our present gadgets obsolete. Then Macworld Expo a few weeks later tells us how our iPhones and iPads will be obsolete in a few months.

I haven't considered the iPad because when it was introduced all reviewers noted what was missing so you knew to wait until the "2" comes out a year later. I assume the "2" was ready when the "1" was introduced but you can't make gobs of money by introducing a perfect product.

Posted by: hc2254 | December 11, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

From what I hear you should steer clear of the iPad 2. The processor they are using is flimsy and prone to crashing and overheating. Couple that with the problems they already have and you'll be buying a lemon instead of an Apple.

Posted by: fakedude1 | December 11, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

and here we go again with the cheap press Apple propaganda crap...

Posted by: sorlag | December 12, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse