Five online coupon services worth trying
TLC debuted its show "Extreme Couponing" Wednesday night, prompting a flurry of Internet searches for the best coupons and deals on Google.
While some people still find deals using a good pair of scissors and a stack of ads, many savvy shoppers have turned to the Internet for coupon codes, printouts and money-saving tricks. Big hitters like the aptly named Coupons.com or Groupon are widely known, but here are five other online coupon sites that get high marks.
1. RetailMeNot: This coupon site aggregates discount codes and lets users chime in on whether or not a deal worked, sorting out bad tips fairly quickly.
2. SmartSource.com: Calling itself the #1 Website for printable grocery coupons, SmartSource.com lists grocery coupons from your area, lets you select those most relevant to you, and compiles them for printing. Printing does require a Java applet, which may mean a download for some.
3. 8Coupons: Despite a somewhat daunting homepage, those who venture beyond 8Coupons list of links will find a great mapping tool that shows you where the best deals are in your area.
4. WeUseCoupons.com: A community forum-style site for coupon enthusiasts, WeUseCoupons.com posts tips and tricks for coupon use, as well as user-submitted deals. Two of the site's members, Nathan Engels and Amanda Ostrowski were featured on TLC's premiere.
5. GeorgineSaves: Run by Georgine Kaczmarek, a coupon guru advised Consumer Reports on coupon-clipping habits, this site keeps consumers updated on good deals and offers tips saving in other ways, such as reusing old items in new ways. Kaczmarek is also a saving consultant, trainer and speaker for very serious savers.
| December 30, 2010; 7:16 AM ET
Save & Share: Previous: Skype brings 3G video calls to the iPhone
Next: Will Google compete with Verizon, AT&T in mobile market?
Posted by: steve97 | December 30, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: sternber | December 30, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: MichelleKinPA | December 30, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: daisyamos | December 31, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: SharonCollins | December 31, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: nina13 | December 31, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: sheilatrake | January 1, 2011 12:45 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: walton1 | January 1, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: amsdev | January 1, 2011 2:29 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: KBM64 | January 3, 2011 10:14 PM | Report abuse