Posted at 12:45 PM ET, 12/14/2010

Playstation Move vs. Kinect sales

By Hayley Tsukayama

There was a lot of buzz over the weekend as news broke that the Microsoft Kinect was outselling the Playstation Move by a ratio of five to one. But the numbers aren't quite so simple.

New numbers dropped Friday night showing that in terms of bundled units -- that is, new consoles that come with the motion-gaming accessories -- Microsoft is outselling Sony five to one. Bundled numbers are important. After all, they may show how many consumers are buying consoles as a direct result of the new technology, but they aren't a good indicator of overall sales, since many people who already own consoles are likely to upgrade.

Further complicating matters, the XBox 360 Slim hit the market over the summer. So it's hard to parse who's buying for the Kinect and who's been saving their money for the sleeker, shinier model.

The reported figures on peripheral sales also muddy the picture. Sony reported that it's moved 4.1 million units to stores between its Sept. 17 launch date and Nov. 30, but the company did not supply actual sales figures. As of the same date, Microsoft reported the Kinect had sold 2.5 million units globally only 25 days after its release.

No matter how you slice the numbers, however, things don't look great for Sony. After all, logic dictates that the figures should slant in Sony's favor overall, since gamers need one Playstation Move controller per player, as opposed to one Kinect per console. And regardless of which console wins this match, it will still be a battle to claim the motion-gaming belt from Nintendo and the family-friendly Wii.

Have you played around with the Kinect and the Playstation Move? What made you decide on one or the other?

Related stories:
Which to buy: Microsoft Kinect or PlayStation Move?

Looking for the hot new video game for a holiday gift? Think sequel.

By Hayley Tsukayama  | December 14, 2010; 12:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mobile DTV gets up to speed (with video)
Next: Mark Zuckerberg: Time's Person of the Year 2010

Comments

Haven't bought a Kinect yet, but I plan to. We own a Wii and having to hold on to a controller is annoying. I like the fact that the Kinect is controller free, especially with small kids.

Posted by: askevi | December 14, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I think neither will particularly matter. My experience is that not a whole lot people care about the motion sensing after a while. Once you get past the "this is cool" period, it just becomes a hassle to play like that. In particular, the PS3 game library doesn't seem to have as much of the "party" type games where people can laugh at others awkwardly swinging controllers around.

Posted by: koalatek | December 14, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I bought the Kinect. Right now, the major problem is lack of decent game titles. Hopefully, these are in development. My daughter loves playing Kinectimals, and I hope more games like that are in the pipeline that are clever and fun for young kids. I think the Kinect will live or die based on game development.

Posted by: motogp46 | December 14, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I bought the Sony Move, the reason, well, it's more advanced for gamers. Super excited for the killzone3 game that will be released next year with a sony move gun.The motioning on the move is so precise and actually makes for a challenging game..where's the wii and the kinect just "are." They are not exactly challenging for a gamers perspective.

Posted by: ash7 | December 14, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I would have had an XBOX a long time ago if it were not for XBOX Live being $50 a year.

Sure PSN Network is bad, but not bad enough to make me pay to play games.

Posted by: justmy2 | December 14, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I bought the Motion bundle and love the games. After a few nights of playing just that my whole body was sore. So it is a great little workout while having fun. Frisbee Golf is quite challenging and the motion is so smart, it knows when I am whipping that frisbee with backhand motion.

The Wii doesn't belong in this conversation or is comparable. Wii is like kiddie games playing with Weeble characters. No fun at all. Motion and PS3 have real graphics and characters.

We do need a better choice of games tho. I purchased the latest Golf game and I always end up back to the Sports package.

Posted by: darbyohara | December 14, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I have 3 kinect cameras one in each room of my house an my hole family loves them. but kinect is much more then a motion-gaming device,you can tell it commands an like xbox play movie play music, play espn, play last fm, play zune market along with other commands so it does more then the other motion devices out there an that's why its a better buy. Of course you have to have live for these features but its well worth it in the end.

Posted by: traxyjjackson | December 14, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I own both systems (Xbox 360 and PS3). I'll wait and see with this tech battle. Whoever is still standing a year from now may get my money. Looking at the current motion gaming libraries of both systems makes me doubt that either will be around 2 years from now. In my opinion, neither side has given me a compelling reason to jump on their bandwagon.

Posted by: GP04 | December 14, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Sony Playstation is giving away FREE Moves for xams, my friend works in the gaming industry.. over 100 free moves in select cities..Im pretty stoked about this!

Posted by: ash7 | December 14, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I live in Manassas. The evidence is clear. All stores are sold out on Kinect and Kinect-Console packages. In fact, they sell out in an hour when they do get a supply. There are plenty of Moves on the shelves.

Posted by: MonteBristow | December 15, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The Kinect is the wave of the future. I envision in the not-to-distant future interactive instructional "games" that analyze a gamer's atheletic abilities. For example, the gamer's golf stroke superimposed on the instructor's golf stroke - complete with suggestions for improvement. Now we're talkin' people!

Posted by: MonteBristow | December 15, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

The Wii is supreme in this field because the games are fun.

Posted by: mcctee | December 15, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I bought the ps3 about a year ago for the blu-ray player and knowing that the move was supposed to come out for it and hoping it would be fun for the kids once it did. The problem is, I have it now but there's not much fun for the kids yet & I'm wondering if there ever will be. I wish now that I would have just bought a blu-ray player and a Wii. The kinect looks cool and I believe it'll be the next Wii. I just can't afford both. Maybe I'll have to sell the PS3...

Posted by: backrowspike | December 15, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Move all the way for me - having played both the Kinect just isn't there yet in terms of accuracy and the best games (with the highest review scores so far are all dance games).
As a gamer I'd rather shoot stuff with a gun attachment - you can't 'shoot' with your fingers only!? Plus with a range of games like military strategy - RUSE, addictive air trafic game - Flight Control and 'draw on the screen' game Beat Sketcher the MOVE library is much more diverse.

Posted by: Cleric20 | December 16, 2010 4:21 AM | Report abuse