Acer says it's not getting rid of netbooks after all
Acer has sent out a press release saying it will not be phasing out netbooks, denying the comments from a sales manager that we reported earlier this week.
"As PCs are no longer only used to create content but are more and more becoming consumption tools, new devices and new form factors are appearing," the press release said. "This means the range of devices available to users is getting wider and tablets are just another piece of the mosaic. Therefore, they will find their space next to netbooks and notebooks."
Reports that company was going to move away from netbooks stemmed from a Monday article in Computerworld. In that article, Taiwan sales manager Lu Bing-hsian was quoted as saying, "They are aimed at phasing out netbooks."
The press release, which Acer issued Wednesday afternoon, said the company "will not phase out netbooks in favor of tablets."
The release also said the company is not yet basing any devices on Intel's Sandy Bridge chipset, another tidbit of information that started with the Computerworld article.
When Faster Forward asked Acer what caused the mixup, a spokeswoman said that because the interview was conducted in Taiwan, the company doesn't know if it was a mistranslation or a misunderstanding.
| January 19, 2011; 2:04 PM ET
Categories: Gadgets, Tablets
Save & Share: Previous: Feds charge two in connection with iPad hacks
Next: Verizon will offer some customers up to $200 toward iPhone upgrade