Posted at 8:00 AM ET, 01/ 9/2011

CES 2011 wrap-up: What I didn't see

By Rob Pegoraro

LAS VEGAS--As you read this, I'll be on my way back to D.C.; another CES is in the books for me.

samsung_wifi_fridge_ces.jpg

This one had its share of interesting product launches, some practical and others less so--like, perhaps, the Samsung WiFi-connected refrigerator you see at right, which runs such apps as Twitter, Pandora, Epicurious, Google-linked photo-album and calendar programs and a notepad.

(Seeing this $3,499 device, due in the spring, brought a few questions to mind: What's a good Web-radio playlist for taking a beer out of the fridge? Will this model cause more people to Twitter about their lunch? And wouldn't its 8-in. display be even better if it were 3-D?)

Anyway.

That said, I also have to note things that I didn't spot at the show, even though many of you have said you'd like to see the electronics industry produce them. I'll name two:

ces_south_hall_2011.jpg

* A non-TiVo, subscription-free digital video recorder. Right now, you're stuck choosing between TiVo, with monthly service fees that typically run $12.95 but can go much higher if you buy a TiVo at a discounted price; or whatever DVR your cable or satellite operator chooses to rent to you. Considering how cheap storage runs these days, can't somebody put together an alternative recorder without a monthly bill? How about one that also allows easy offline archiving?

* Cameras with some of the simple photo-sharing options found on smartphones. My own reporting reminded me of this: I kept using a phone to take pictures, even though it offered lesser quality, because I could post them immediately (barring reception issues) instead of waiting to flip open a laptop, copy over the photos and upload them from the computer. If Samsung's SH100 camera, which can use WiFi for uploading, was a rare exception; Kodak models that tout easy sharing but require that you connect them to a PC first were more typical.

Looking over our coverage of CES 2011, what other kinds of gadgets do you not see mentioned there that you were hoping to read about?

By Rob Pegoraro  | January 9, 2011; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  CES 2011
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A different sort of wireless at CES: electricity
Next: PostPoints tip: Have your Mac pick your time zone

Comments

I didn't see the ref's temperature.

Posted by: docchari | January 9, 2011 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I agree with your comments on the lack of DVRs. The cable companies must have somehow made a deal with the major manufacturers not to produce these in exchange for lucrative deals to produce the proprietary boxes they then rent to everyone. In the meantime, I don't even subscribe to cable or dish, and instead put a TV tuner card into my old PC, which is hooked up to the TV antenna on the rooftop. Using Windows XP Media Center Edition I have a great DVR that also allows me to create DVDs of shows I want to keep for good and to save as many shows that I want - just buy a huge hard drive, they aren't very expensive any more. Being able to flip through the commercials is a great asset. If you buy a video card for the PC with HDMI output you can hook it up to an HDTV and get HD for free. In my case, I still have my trusty old CRT, so I feed it with the S-Video output on the PC's video card. Not HD, but still looks fine. If I want HD, I can always watch it on the PC monitor.

Posted by: alrob8 | January 9, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I would like to have seen some coverage of the Pixel Qi displays, especially the Notion Ink Adam tablet that uses the Pixel Qi display which from what I can see is the most innovative working tablet at CES and starts shipping this week to those of us who pre-ordered them last month.

Posted by: linuxfan | January 9, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Computers hit new Peak with Tablet & show is bit on Plain s.ide, Over Hill of Raw Developement.Meaning vista/7 & multi core.

By Mid Suummer new series of Server & Desktop/Workstatio/Port will have double Pin of Todays Standard. 1/3 more than Top of Today. Pci-e 16X will go Ver 3, also double todays ver 2. towards winter. That IS IT.Last may be USB3 Standard, wich is being held back. 3DTV as BIG, Are many New Impossible to Copy formats, Is Suggested & thats' about IT, Too. Life in D' Jungle.

2013 Is First hope for Windows 8 Product, xp is Behind Us. With Mid Summer Price Point change,X12, Should hit 20% or Moore for Fall Chipper.

S:TS vondrashek

Posted by: thomasxstewart1 | January 9, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: slwapo | January 9, 2011 11:27 PM | Report abuse

are the tablets all intended to replace , displace ereaders? I didn't see anything on ereaders.

Posted by: danmaceda | January 10, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I very much bemoan the lack of hard drive based HIGH-DEFINITION Digital Video Recorders without having to have a monthly fee. The Magnavox unit mentioned above is not HD.

I want to be able to record off-air and from my satellite dish receiver in HD quality (at least 720p or 1080i).

Basically a VCR on steroids. But no one seems to make one. Why? Have manufacturers been paid off to not make them so the only choices are TIVO or a dish receiver with a built in HD-DVR, both of which require you to subscribe to a monthly fee.

Enough. I'm not stupid. I can set my own programs to record. I don't need a freakin' guide.

I'm surprised someone hasn't figured out how to jailbreak a TIVO or a Dish receiver to use it as I want.

Posted by: moonwatcher2001 | January 10, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Rob, on your Digital Camera note, I've never tried one of these but have your heard of the Eyefi SD cards that have wifi built in? You can pop one in your camera and if you have a wifi connection, upload to the photo sharing site of your choice www.eye.fi Not the most elegant solution but it sounds good.

Posted by: dannofels | January 10, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

No service fee HD DVR is available (for years):

Moxi

However, I would like for the upfront cost of Moxi to be lower, and I agree that competition is lacking in this area.

Posted by: Rodolfo-LaMaestra | January 10, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

It's primarily for the ladies who spend quality time in the kitchen for the family. Although Definitely Not For Me, I'm sure others will find some good uses. And it was not meant to be the greatest thing anyway.

Posted by: SOCIETY1 | January 10, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I just got the eyefi sd card and it works great. I've only used it once but when you take a pic, it is uploaded immediately.

Posted by: rcj8 | January 10, 2011 10:36 PM | Report abuse