Posted at 11:10 AM ET, 01/12/2011

Facebook switches all profiles to new layout; users complain

By Hayley Tsukayama

Like it or not, if you're on Facebook, your profile had a makeover this morning.

Facebook began offering users the option to switch to a new profile layout in December, but starting today, every Facebook profile is sporting the new look.

The new layout ditches tabs on a user's profile in favor of a link menu below the profile picture, displays more personal demographic information to the top of the page and relocates the Facebook status from the top of the page to the top of the wall.

It also puts a stream of a user's tagged photos above the Facebook wall.

Facebook has been inundated with complaints in the comments on the blog post announcing the switch. Comments include:

- "I didn't make the switch because I HATE the new profile. Not looking forward to being switched over."

- "Why do you keep changing Facebook when you can see that nobody likes the changes? Just stop."

- "DONT LIKE IT! BRING BACK THE OLD ONE!"

While one software designer has chimed into the conversation in support of the new profile, the comments have been overwhelmingly negative. Many users point out that if they wanted the new profile layout, they would have switched to it by choice.

What do you think about the new layout? Do you think Facebook should have made the switch mandatory?

By Hayley Tsukayama  | January 12, 2011; 11:10 AM ET
Categories:  Social media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Google to eject H.264 video from Chrome browser
Next: Apple iOS 4.3 has built-in personal hotspot feature

Comments

I think you're a bit premature in saying that all users have been moved over to the new profile. Just checked mine, and it's still the old version. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they get around to me, though.

I haven't bothered changing because I don't see it as a change for the better. I don't really see it as any worse either. It's just not enough of a change for me to proactively migrate over to the new profile. I'll do it when I'm forced to, but I won't be kicking or screaming... it's just Facebook.

Posted by: BurninNation | January 12, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

People want the old profile back? You mean the one they hated so much when that one was new?

Posted by: tengoalyrunr30 | January 12, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

If FB was going to mandate the change, why did they give users the option in the first place?

Posted by: jgllo | January 12, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The new profile is AWFUL. At the top of the page are photos to which you have been "tagged" even if the intent of the "tagger" is negative.
Notice that Mark Zuckerberg's page has not been switched. Can you imagine what sort of photos would be tagged with his name? Whew!

The response to the FB engineer was overwhelmingly negative and seems to have disappeared. Fb is headed toward the MySpace fate if it continues to abuse it's users.

Posted by: pjohn2 | January 12, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pjohn2 | January 12, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

If I wanted to change, I would have. How hard is that for FB to understand?

Posted by: teach1 | January 12, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

teach1: you can't expect Facebook to keep your old profile page forever.

Posted by: nonagon | January 12, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Why all the complaining? If you don't like it, remove your content and close the account. Facebook is not a necessity, and most people probably don't care what the next person's "status" is, or what someone ate for breakfast anyway. Get out of the cyber world and try real life interaction for a change.

Posted by: TechFan | January 12, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

If Facebook doesn't change my profile to the old one, I'm going to demand my money back!*

*Yes, it's a joke, people.

Posted by: Dadrick | January 12, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I find it frustrating when Facebook force-changes profiles because I have to reenter all the demographic information about work and school and hometown. I understand why from FB's perspective--how can it be sure I'm getting the right ads if I've moved or changed jobs or graduated?--but I wish it would do something like prompt whether any of those things had changed rather than deleting them altogether.

I do kind of like that the new profile makes it a little easier to confirm that yes, that is the John Smith I know.

Posted by: cheryl8 | January 12, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

they change it because it's the nature of websites. They have to appear as if they're doing something, so they make unnecessary tweaks and alterations. There is no such thing as "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in web design or marketing. It's the perpetual need to stay "fresh" even though nobody is complaining in the first place.

Posted by: bowie2000 | January 12, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Who needs improvement so long as there is change? - The motto of the person of the year 2010.

Posted by: sage5 | January 12, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"Why all the complaining? If you don't like it, remove your content and close the account. Facebook is not a necessity, and most people probably don't care what the next person's 'status' is, or what someone ate for breakfast anyway. Get out of the cyber world and try real life interaction for a change."

You're right. No user of any product, service, website, etc. should ever offer any feedback whatsoever; the only option should be to quit using it. That's very helpful, thanks for your input. (Also, we get that you're too cool to use Facebook, and don't bother to keep in contact with anyone that you can't go see in person. Good for you.)

Posted by: Janine1 | January 12, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

The change is mystifying. Yet again, they've added some things that might make sense (highlighting relationships, summing up your own relationship with the person whose profile you're viewing) while making other changes that don't make any sense at all (for one example: though I kind of like the little bullet points under the name, FB won't let me customize them -- unless there's a trick I haven't figured out, it just will not let me note both my college and grad school). It's like they sit around thinking up ways to make it less user-friendly, or at least to take away one decent function for every one that they add.

Posted by: Janine1 | January 12, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind the new look in general, but I am very angry that it's the *tagged* photos that are splashed across the top of my profile. Why not the ones I uploaded myself? I can't really control who tags me, unless I'm constantly on FB, removing tags as they appear. So, there's a good possiblity that, between the time someone tags me in a photo (erroneously, unflatteringly, or even maliciously) and the time I can remove the tag, visitors to my profile get an eyeful of something I never chose to share.

There needs to be more editorial control over the automatically-populated parts of the new profile.

Posted by: CJH2 | January 12, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey FB lemmings - you get what you pay for.

Posted by: password11 | January 12, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

You people do realize you can set up your FB account to alert you every time somebody tags you in a photo don't you? And if you have such an issue with being tagged maliciously just dump that friend. You can't be tagged by somebody that is not your friend.

Posted by: Buddy89 | January 12, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

In resoponse to this comment below:

First of all. Facebook is a business. As a business you need to keep all of your customers satisfied. If customers are not satisfied with the product then they will not continue to purchase or use it in this case. "I" was a 24-7 on facebook via computer phone and always had something going on with it. Since the new layout even CAME even still having the option to keep my old one I deactivated. WHY you ask? Because on facebook one of the main things i do is fb stalk like everyone on here does even if they don't admit to it. The new layout looks awful and looks like a "myspace look". That's just my opinion. But for someone that was on this website everyday; I have not been online one single time since the change. I am sure I am not the only one. You no longer have any privacy. They post all your picture comments on your wall and on news feed? Really? Like if i'm commenting on a girls photo flirting with her, do I want the 1,000 friends of mine plus the other girls i flirt with ALL to see that? .... tottally ruins facebook. And they are just heading down the same road Myspace did. Something bigger and better and more original will take them over just watch.

-Michigan

Posted by: FacebookWillFall | January 12, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The new profile is neat.....sometimes change is good.

Post some nice pics up FB......and let it go!!!

Posted by: RESSA64 | January 12, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

There are some strange things in the new profile, specifically in the summary information that appears at the top. I spent four years in college, and have many FB friends from that era. I spent one year in one grad school, and then changed to a second grad school, where I spent many years and earned a MA, and from which I have many FB friends.

So why is the ONE educational institution listed atop my profile the one at which I spent one year, received no degree, and through which I have NO FB friends?

Posted by: tegularius | January 12, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Both profiles are bad. Both restrict users to multiple choices. You can't have two residences (though I do).. You can't have two home towns (though I do). In short, you can't customize your profile sufficiently.

Posted by: CharlieCerf | January 12, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

bring the olf face book back this new 1 sucks its harder 2 do things and it's stupid there alot u cant do that u did on the old 1 and plus it looks ugly thank you

Posted by: bigbadjon83 | January 13, 2011 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Sad that these companies with good ideas all get big and arrogant and start to ignore the people that made them successful in the first place.

Windows Live Spaces just did the same thing, forcing their users to move their spaces to Wordpress, losing many of the great "Live" features, like Photo Albums. Made no sense and just served to upset a lot of users.

These social network sites are missing the boat. Users want to personalize their little corner of the internet and not be forced into formats for the masses. Why can't I see my friends the way I want to in the new FB format? Why can't I have my page look like I want it to?

Facebook may be worth a gazillion dollars today, but if they keep insulting their users, someone is going to step in and pay attention to what people want, and Facebook will go poof!

Posted by: panamacanuck | January 13, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I am not amused at all by them switching me over for the SECOND time without asking. I hate the new profile and there was a reason I started using facebook from myspace, it was the same, simple interface they had for years and didn't force tacky updates on you... it's pissing me off that there's no option to get the old one back and if changes aren't made in the next few days I'm considering canceling my account.

Posted by: Memphis10 | January 13, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I don't like the new layout...

TIP: If there are tagged photos showing that you don't want on the profile page, hover your curser over it while it is on your profile page and then click the "X" and it will disappear from the profile page. It will still be in your photo albums just like before.

Posted by: jgmann | January 13, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I just posted a "farewell" on FB and then deactivated my account. I removed the FB apps from my iPod and BlackBerry and deleted it from my favorites on all my computers.

I don't like the new profile but what I really did not like was FB implying it was optional when it first appeared and then "pushing" it on to everyone. And the tag photos appearing on the profile was the straw that broke my back.

Posted by: FedUp63 | January 13, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I've been trying for months to cancel a FB account someone opened in my name with my correct email address and can't figure out how to do it. Can't find instructions, and get no response from FB via USMAIL. How do you cancel?

Posted by: Aggytater | January 13, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

It's not like we are paying for a service. It's hard for me to justify making demands from a service I am not paying for. Personally, I would like to be able to entirely configure the layout myself.

Posted by: pasawyer | January 13, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

IN A WORD AWFUL!!! I WANT MY STATUS BANNER BACK!!! I DONT WANT THE PHOTOS AND INFO UP THERE!!! I WANT CONTROL OVER MY OWN PROFILE I DONT WANT FACEBOOK TO DICTATE WHAT IS ON MY PAGE OR WHERE IT BELONGS ON IT!! I WANT THE OLD ONE BACK OR CONTROL TO DELETE THE CRAP I DONT WANT..AND I WANT THE STATUS BANNER BACK!!!

Posted by: STEVYZ | January 13, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I hate this new profile. Like others have said, if I had wanted to switch, I would have done so. You cannot control the content of the subheads that arbitrarily "pull" from your profile information and splash it across the top of the page. In my case, this lead to a crazy mish-mash of items.

And the posting of photos in which you have been tagged? Forget it. I have just deleted all my profile information, and have tagged every phono in my albums to be "hidden."

Posted by: hhegeman | January 13, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

And the posting of photos in which you have been tagged? Forget it. I have just deleted all my profile information, and have tagged every photo in my albums to be "hidden."

Posted by: hhegeman | January 13, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hhegeman | January 13, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hhegeman | January 13, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hhegeman | January 13, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Are we on facebook to show off profiles or to connect with our friends or make new ones. I am bothered by people who complain about change, I simply don't care and will not change my facebook habits.

Posted by: mathman6293 | January 13, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

It's fascinating to watch how easily people have subscribed to the "entitlement mentality" of software. Facebook is (a) free and (b) voluntary. If you don't like it, don't use it. If you really want to do something about it, go to college, learn programming, start up a company, market the product, give it away for free, and then never change it and keep it just how YOU want. Simple.

And for those who argue that Facebook is a business that should listen to its customers, let me point our two blindingly obvious things. One, the customer is NOT always right, and for every one person who hates the change, another 1000 don't care. And two, you are not a customer, you are a USER of the free service: The real customers are advertisers and investors because they actually pay money to FB for something. As a user, you have no say except to withdraw your (free) use of the system.

Posted by: WordGuy | January 13, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Didn't really see much need for the change other than the motive that drives so much of business today -- you have to keep changing to stay competitive. Really dislike the tagged photos banner at the top of the page. I'm a photographer and I want to have my photos head the page.

Posted by: philkdc | January 13, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: philkdc | January 13, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

the comment that we dont pay for it so we have no say is bull we are forced to watch all kinds of avertising which facebook charges access for...so without us there would be no revenue..this is just like what happened at ebay...i stopped using them 3 years ago when they started this crap..without us there is no facebook no avertising revenue...so we DO PAY FOR THIS!!WE WILL JUMP SHIP TO THE NEW SOCIAL SITE JUST LIKE WE DID AT MYSPACE...ANYONE KNOW OF A NEW SOCIAL SITE WE CAN JUMP TO?IM READY

Posted by: STEVYZ | January 13, 2011 4:11 PM | Report abuse

What an idiotic pursuit anyway. Whenever I feel in a "Facebook" frame of mind, I just slip on my raincoat and head down to the park ...

Posted by: greghard | January 13, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I think they should had kept it "Optional". I also don't like the new way that the profiles are and they make it difficult to see someones profile. >_
They should had never done this change. Keeping it optional was the best. The only reason people will not quit facebook or close their accounts is because some people use it in a day-to-day basis.

Posted by: gonzalesg10 | January 13, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I think the new profile s*u*c*k*s but I have bigger problems to contend with

Posted by: johnz763 | January 13, 2011 8:49 PM | Report abuse

dislike the change& also dislike the statements that people who resist change are duds, Luddites, etc.
using FB much less these days, kind of a fading star.

Posted by: FloridaChick | January 14, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I HATE the new profile. I HATE looking at pictures of myself. I HATE how they are randomized. I HATE how FB destroyed GROUPS. And, I really don't understand why they constantly inflict UNWANTED changes on their users. I have two words for Facebook and their EGO:
AOL 1996.