iPhone 5: Top 5 rumors roundup
iPhone hype never really dies down, and now that the Verizon iPhone has been announced and advertised, Apple fans are making their guesses about the iPhone 5.
Here are the top five rumors about the fifth-generation iPhone, from the most solid to most speculative, though it's best to take all of them with a grain or two of salt:
5. It will launch this summer: This is the probably the rumor that's closest to true. Apple keeps a pretty regular launch schedule, and time is quickly running out on the rumors that the phone will be out this month. Most news outlets are saying the announcement will come in July.
4. It will be LTE: Will the fifth-generation iPhone be the iPhone 5...or the iPhone 4G? There are plenty of rumors that the next iPhone will run on Verizon and AT&T's LTE networks, giving it 4G speeds. With other smartphones hitting the 4G market hard, Apple would be at a serious disadvantage if it didn't make the jump to the faster networks.
3. It will be multi-core: PC Mag and others have reported that the iPhone 5 and iPad 2 will be powered by Apple's multi-core A5 chip that could give the new models four times the power of previous models.
2. It will be your wallet: Apple has reportedly been working on near-field communication technology that will allow users to pay for things with their phones by waving or tapping it in front of receivers. This kind of technology is already in widespread use with credit cards, and a June 2009 patent from Apple ComputerWorld found showed that the company has at least been thinking about putting an NFC antenna in a touch screen.
1. It will be cheaper than you think: The strength of the yen has reportedly sent Apple to Taiwan and China for more of its component needs then ever as it prepares to churn out the new handset. GizmoCrunch reported Taiwanese manufacturer Epistar reached an agreement with Toyoda Gosei, to gain access to the Japanese company's patents. All this behind the scenes action could translate to lower -- or at least not much higher -- prices for the new iPhone.
| January 24, 2011; 11:18 AM ET
Categories: Apple, Gadgets, Mobile
Save & Share: Previous: Report: Xoom release date is Feb. 17
Next: Foursquare posts 2010 stats: Almost 382 million check-ins
Posted by: ChinoDaLegend | January 24, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: satyric | January 24, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: subscribe2 | January 24, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: jiji1 | January 24, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Foollullaby | January 24, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: xiaoa | January 24, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse