Posted at 10:13 AM ET, 01/25/2011

Report: Verizon to offer unlimited data plan for $30

By Hayley Tsukayama

Verizon's chief operating officer, Lowell McAdam told the Wall Street Journal that Verizon will be offering a $30 unlimited data plan.

McAdam said that offering an unlimited plan will lure customers over from AT&T. It also will undoubtedly attract customers who have been on the fence about Verizon's iPhone while waiting to hear about pricing plans.

Verizon recently reported its fourth-quarter figures, and while revenue fell about 2.6 percent, the number smartphone users was up despite expectations that those waiting to buy an iPhone would dent Verizon's subscriber numbers.

Analysts have predicted that 9 million to 12 million users will buy the Verizon iPhone.

There have been concerns that Verizon's network will not be able to handle unlimited iPhone data use, compounded by Monday's service outages in Virginia and North Carolina. Prior to Verizon's iPhone announcement, AT&T told customers that iPhone customers on Verizon's network should prepare for life in the slow lane.

Verizon, appearing to be confident in its network's ability to handle the extra traffic, fired back via the New York Times, saying, "AT&T is known for a lot of things, but network quality is not one of them," and ""It must be backwards day at AT&T."

By Hayley Tsukayama  | January 25, 2011; 10:13 AM ET
Categories:  Apple, Gadgets, Mobile
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A first read of Ongo: ad-free news for a price
Next: More Apple chatter: Will consumers be able to pay by iPhone and iPad?

Comments

That's great for data hogs, but what about us that don't want/need that much? The rumor is they are ditching their tiered data plans too. I shouldn't be forced to purchase unlimited.

I wonder if they ditch the tiered format people will be less inclined to switch to verizon even with the iphone

Posted by: ChinoDaLegend | January 25, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand the confusion about network bandwidth. AT&T has had problems with iPhone and every other smart phone they carry. All smart phones use data, lots of it, and, if the provider cannot supply that data, you have problems. Now, Verizon, and I am a long time Verizon customer, hasn't had the iPhone but they have had dozens of other smart phone models and even more smart phone customers than AT&T and I have never had one problem with Verizon's network. Neither have my three children, all with Android's (and ... listen up Verizon, as soon as possible, with iPhones; don't make them wait until August! Their whining is driving me nuts.)

Posted by: mibrooks27 | January 25, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Why is this news? They already offer unliminted @ $30 / month; there is also 150MB @ $15 / month.

Get back to us once it's announced if any additional options will be offered.

Posted by: legendarypunk | January 25, 2011 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Pegoraro,

I am confused -- my family has had Verizon wireless for years and has always had access to two data plans: $30/month for unlimited and $15/month for 150MB. So, what is new? And I am hearing that Verizon will not offer the $15/month for the iPhone. If true, that's disappointing as my wife has that plan on her bb, but is anxious to move to the iPhone, but perhaps not at the higher monthly data cost.

Posted by: teamn | January 25, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Ummmmm I already have unlimited data for 30 a month. Was there a plan to change this?

Posted by: rderr27 | January 25, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The reason that this is news is that Verizon Wireless will "continue" to offer the unlimited data plan. AT&T loyalists and others had been predicting the demise of the unlimited data plan on VZW with the arrival of the iPhone. I'm glad that the doomsday predictions were wrong! Hopefully, AT&T will bring back the offer of the unlimited data plan to come back in line with the competition.

Posted by: midanae | January 25, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

It's never really "unlimited" for wireless. There are caps and exclusions, express or implied in the user agreement.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | January 25, 2011 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I've been a customer of Verizon Wireless for 6 years. I still can't make or receive a call in my house. I have to go outside and face southwest. I'm paying 50 bucks a month for this service. Can I have a plan that allows me to make a call from inside the house? How much? Don't get me started on transmission quality of the calls that do not get dropped. Huh, what did you say?

Posted by: mikie44 | January 25, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

People will just have to pick there poison. I have an iPhone on AT&T, my wife has a Droid on Verizon. There are three places where my calls drop every time, and in those places my wife's line never drops. Likewise, there are three places where my wife's line always drops, yet it's crystal clear on my phone. I can talk and pull down an email or presentation at the same time (GSM). My wife cannot (CDMA). My wife can tither on her Droid to her iPad, I cannot, unless I'm willing to give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan. My wife hates Verizon's customer service, so do I, I kicked any everything Verizon out our house 8 years ago, that is until she wanted the Droid. I'm not too crazy about AT&T's customer service either.

I work for a well known cell phone manufacturer, we make phones for all carriers, none (carriers) are really that much better than the other, trust me. Find the contract that best fits your income, location and travel habits and hope for the best. There is so much involved in dropped calls, that I do not want to bore you with. I laugh though, when I hear people say this carrier is better than this one or that one. The only thing that will make the carriers better is competition. And for that, as an AT&T customer, welcome the iPhone to Verizon may now, we the consumer will get some respect!

Posted by: clark202 | January 25, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

What a stupid move - all that will do is succeed in moving the data hogs to Verizon and overwhelming their system.

A smarter move would be to undercut AT&T a more intelligent tier system - maybe $10 for 250M, $20 for 2G and $30 for unlimited. And to reduce the cost of phone plans which also lack a reasonably priced middle bucket. Not to mention the ridiculous prices for text plans.

I guess we will have to wait a few months until we see better competitive prices for iphone plans.

Posted by: Boraxo1 | January 25, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

My daughter and I have HTC Incredible's and switched to the $15/150MB plan...for a couple of days...before going back to unlimited for $30. I don't consider either of us 'heavy' data users, but it seemed like checking Gmail, some web surfing and updating Facebook would put us over the limit in 7-10 days. I have no idea what the true cost is for data, but I am OK with $30/month right now.

However, as someone else mentioned, I would kill to be able to use my phone in my home office instead of having to stand on my deck or in the cul-de-sac to make a call. Fortunately, Verizon is erecting a tower next month about 300 yards away.

Posted by: AlligatorArms | January 25, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm a dunce. I've been paying $30/month for their unlimited data plan even though I never come close to exceeding the 150 MB limit for the lower priced plan. A call to Verizon Wireless is in the plans for today.

Posted by: LittleRed1 | January 25, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Cmon IPHone I cant wait to meet you!!!

So long Sprint, So AT and T, So long Tmobile and all you sorry a55 networks that overcharge with cheap ghetto service

Posted by: Fred23 | January 25, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Alligator arms, be careful, the fact that tower is so close could land you in the dreaded drop zone.

Posted by: clark202 | January 25, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

A $30 "unlimited" plan on a 3G network is worth only $10 to me. A $30 "unlimited" plan on a 4G network is worth $30. Hurry up with that 4G LTE network. 2014 is too long to wait....

Posted by: moonwatcher2001 | January 25, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I guess if your car is your office, unlimited data may make sense. If you are in school and have an computer on a home Wifi, and Wifi at school, hard to see where unlimited data is necessary. I don't text, I don't social network, I do want my email, I do want google traffic maps to deal with the DC area traffic, maybe that app that shows when the next metro trains arrives at Foggy Bottom, quick check of the weather and headlines, and decent, reliable voice service. Oh yeah, I do what access to my 650 MS Outlook contacts, the calendar and hotmail synch with my smartphone (maybe the Gmail account as well). Min anytime minutes, min. data - its a phone and a tool for me. Iphone, Droid Incredible?

Posted by: Flyover_Country | January 25, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't have a so-called "smartphone" now, but I might consider one if the $15 plan is feasible. (I say "so-called" because the carriers obnoxiously refuse to make non-camera models for those of us who face restrictions on where we can take camera devices.) Can somebody give me a sense for how much data 150 MB is in terms of things like accessing e-mail on an occasional basis, checking the sports scores, occasionally accessing the DirecTV listings to send record requests to the DVR, and the like? For obvious reasons I've never paid attention to such concerns in the past. I have no interest in things like streaming video and it amuses me that as people buy bigger and bigger TVs they become more and more interested at trying to watch stuff on these dinky little phone screens.

Posted by: 1995hoo | January 25, 2011 7:25 PM | Report abuse

As a Verizon smartphone customer paying $30/month unlimited data plan for some time (well over a year), I see no news in this article. Either fact check before publishing or stop writing puff pieces.

Posted by: entropy | January 25, 2011 10:49 PM | Report abuse

My price point is ten bucks.

Posted by: fakedude1 | January 26, 2011 1:05 AM | Report abuse

The $30 "unlimited" plan has long been available with Verizon; the $15/150MB plan is a fairly recent development for being the minimum plan you need to get a subsidized phone. There's also a $10/25MB plan that can be used for some medium-tier phones, but you pay dearly if you go over that limit.

To 1995hoo: If you go with the phone's default settings -- they include synchronization of various apps -- you can easily use 3 megabytes a day without doing anything, and any use of streaming audio/video or GPS mapping can suck up the megabytes quickly. But I can easily stay within the 150 MB limit by using my phone's wi-fi connection while at home and by turning on 3G just when I need it. If what you're going to do is check e-mail and occasionally visit web sites, you'll be fine. Just avoid video and Pandora.

Posted by: 83Eric | January 26, 2011 1:19 AM | Report abuse

@mikie44
I had to get a network extender, because I'm in a ground floor condo.

Posted by: wiredog | January 26, 2011 7:40 AM | Report abuse

83Eric, thanks for the advice. Essentially, then, it sounds like you can use one of these things much as you would a 3G Kindle (recognizing that the Kindle doesn't have phone capability and has only a rudimentary browser).

Posted by: 1995hoo | January 26, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

30 bucks for just the data plan seems a little steep. Though they don't have the same phones right now, I think prepaid is the way to go. Straight Talk has everything,texting, talk, and data unlimited for 45 bucks. Yea, they don't have the iphone, but they have qwerty smartphones that can surf, check e-mail, and do whatever else you really need for a quarter of the price. Oh, they also use the Verizon network so you're paying for the same coverage. haha. It just makes a little more sense than paying 30 bucks for just data.

Posted by: tammypatterson88 | January 27, 2011 7:14 PM | Report abuse