Posted at 4:39 PM ET, 01/ 7/2011

Will Verizon announce iPhone next week?

By Hayley Tsukayama

UPDATE: The Wall Street Journal is reporting that a source familiar with the matter has confirmed that Verizon's announcement is about the iPhone coming to their subscribers.

Verizon has sent out press invitations for an event on Jan. 11, adding to the rumors that it will announce the Verizon iPhone on that day.

Of course, it could be an announcement about something completely unrelated. Either way, reporters will flock to New York for the 11 a.m. event. And if it's not the iPhone, brace yourself for some serious backlash from the tech press.

By Hayley Tsukayama  | January 7, 2011; 4:39 PM ET
Categories:  Apple, Gadgets, Mac, Mobile
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CES 2011: Day 2 mystery gadget revealed
Next: CES 2011: Dual-screen tablets intrigue, but don't impress

Comments

VZW has been trying to get me to renew my contract; I am an iPhone holdout. If true, ATT can kiss customers goodbye in droves!

Posted by: meldupree | January 7, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

iphone just isn't that cool

and itunes sucks... why can't i just drag and drop MY MUSIC FILES?

Posted by: docwhocuts | January 7, 2011 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I've been an Apple Fanboy for >25 years, but I've had a Droid 2 since August, and based on my experience with it and with my iPod touch, I wouldn't trade the Droid for an iPhone.

Posted by: pjgeraghty | January 7, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I love Verizon. They have treated us like people. I had AT&T years ago and wouldn't go to them for any reason. I have an Android Incredible, right now, but will dump it the second I can get an iPhone and I don't care what kind of early out penalty I have to pay. I'll bet a lot of other customers feel the same way. No one, with any experience with a Mac or an iPad, is going to be satisfied with any Android device. Watch the stock market tomorrow. Google. HTC, the entire Android market, along with AT&T and Microsoft, is going to tank big time. This is a HUGE announcement with enormous business impact. Verizon, just to begin with, doesn't use offshore call centers or tech support, so there will be a lot of jobs created, too, American jobs for once. The iPhone on Verizon will do more to help the economy than all of the government programs to date.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | January 7, 2011 8:01 PM | Report abuse

My contract with Verizon expired last October and I had planned to wait to upgrade until the iphone came to Verizon. But I couldn't resist picking up a free Droid Incredible at Best Buy during the holidays. Now I have absolutely no desire for an iphone - especially with a sticker price of $200+.

Posted by: zackool | January 7, 2011 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I've been waiting to use my new every two credit on an IPhone. Have shopped and shpped the Droids, but they aren't as accessible as the IPhone is.I guess it depends on what features are most important to you.

Posted by: 23lil | January 7, 2011 9:52 PM | Report abuse

6 comments from 6 Sales Droids....Boy, oh boy!

When will you gadget freaks wise up?

AT&T doesn't care about customer service.

Verizon customer service sucks donkey dicks.

Sprint customer service is indifferent at best.

T-Mobile? T-Mobile?? Coverage? Coverage?

You mart-phone lemmings are so obsessed with the next big thing that you don't stop to calculate how much the carriers are reaming you every year for minutes and bandwidth you don't use or can't use.

Then again, you are the same crowd who can't make dinner conversation because you're too busy posting Facebook messages from your smart-fart phone.

You obviously have much more in the way of dollars than sense.

Posted by: angelos_peter | January 8, 2011 12:31 AM | Report abuse

gosh angelos, you're right, we should all listen to you because you have it all figured out. You are so smart and wise.

Feel better, oh one with such low self-esteem, that you must denigrate the purchases of others in order to elevate your own self worth?

Seriously, dude, get a grip on yourself, you aren't THAT smart.

Posted by: BriBonano | January 8, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

If this is true then you will soon be able to count all of AT&T's iPhone customers on one hand! http://vaishwords.blogspot.com/2010/11/rethinking-possible-with-at-wireless.html

Posted by: VaishWords | January 8, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I too bought the Droid Incredible from Best Buy. I waited and waited for the iPhone on Verizon. Being the techie I am I finally gave in so I'd get the Android experience. Well, no joy with this OS, it simply isn't ready. The screen display of web pages isn't nearly as good as the iPhone or iTouch (iOS). The interface isn't as clean, icons need to be larger. It doesn't remember some states, like I set the apps to display in list format, then turned the phone off for a flight. When I turned it back on the icons where in default display mode.

There are good things about the Android OS like creating shortcut icons for phone calls and true mullet-tasking. However, the battery life on the Incredible is very poor, in my few days at the CES the battery has died before the end of the day, despite my use being split between an iPad and the Incredible, and I'm not making a lot of phone calls.

I've also had the opportunity to compare the ATT 3G against the Verizon 3G, Verizon wins hands down all up and down the I-95 corridor, and in Las Vegas.

So, when the iPhone makes it to Verizon I'll switch, fast. The Incredible will go to my son until the contract runs out.

Posted by: PGR1 | January 8, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Why does everyone go on and on about the iPhone, yet never discusses the obvious shortcomings such as no Flash support, no printing unless you pay a ransom for a special model and "alerts" that beep at you but never tell you which app is beeping? I have an iPad and love it, but it also frustrates me. I'd trade it for the PalmOS on my phone any day, that is if HP would make a tablet. BTW, I love Angelia_peter's comment above, awesome!

Posted by: patrickgama7 | January 8, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Sorry. "No .. Flash .. No ... Flash ... No ... Flash."

The iOS is marginally better than Android, but are you really going to use that to justify no Flash, no LTE, and the obvious release of iPhone 5 sometime later this year (while you're stuck to your own no-early-upgrade policy)?

Whoo. Enjoy.