Posted at 9:20 AM ET, 02/24/2011

New MacBook Pros are here

By Hayley Tsukayama

New MacBooks.jpg

As expected, Apple unveiled a new line of MacBook Pros on Thursday, saying that the new models take three "big leaps forward."

The 13-inch model comes with a dual-core i5 Intel processor. The quad-cord i7 processor is available on the 15-inch and 17-inch models.

The laptops have entirely new graphics processors, as well, ditching NVIDIA graphics for a combination of Intel's Sandy Bridge CPU and, on the larger models, AMD Radeon graphics processors. The AMD graphics chips take over in graphics-heavy programs such as games or applications that use high-definition video.

Finally, as rumored, the computers have a new input/output port that Apple is calling Thunderbolt, which is based on Intel's Light Peak technology. The company says Thunderbolt can transfer files at up to 10 Gbps. The connector shares the Mini DisplayPort.

Now that they're here, what do you think about the new MacBook Pros?

Related stories:

Will Apple's MacBook Pro launch celebrate Jobs's birthday?

New iMac and Macbook Pro: Details surface

Report: More Macbook Pro refresh details

By Hayley Tsukayama  | February 24, 2011; 9:20 AM ET
Categories:  Apple, Computers, Mac
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Apple invites media to March 2 event. Of course it's the iPad.
Next: Apple releases Mac OS X Lion developer kit

Comments

I notice that the new Macbook Pro site on apple.com doesn't mention anything about battery life. Any idea how the new processors and graphics will affect this?

Posted by: docmcconl | February 24, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I actually was thinking the same thing and found this: "You can expect to surf the web wirelessly for up to 7 hours on a single charge." http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html#battery

I guess we'll see but they claim they are testing the battery more rigorously. Am excited about the HD camera though, that is a nice add.

I just want to see the MacBook Pro work with an iPhone kinda like the Motorola Atrix someday - now that would be cool....

Posted by: olivecrazy | February 24, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Pass.

You didn't mention the pricing, Rob. STAGGERING!

The Apple Tax is actually getting worse, instead of better. If you don't think so, compare these new Macbooks (and their prices) with the newly announced HP's and Lenovos.

Posted by: p_chuck | February 24, 2011 7:37 PM | Report abuse

They're not bad, but I'm still way more interested in buying an iPad2 and an iPhone4 instead.

Don't need the 3D iPad3 coming for Xmas 2011.

The thing with the iPad is that a lot of my friends have them and they work like a dream. For what I tend to do, a charge lasts an entire week, and that way I can sync them up to my Windows7 server and upload DRM-free content to both.

Now, if they could only get them to dock to my Linux boxen, then we'd be talking.

Posted by: WillSeattle | February 24, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

mind you, I could be convinced to just go with an iPad2 and an Android bare bones phone as well. I'm not stuck on Apple, but I really find some of this stuff is way too overkill.

Either way, I was interested in the MacBook series, but the pricing - as someone mentioned - is a bit steep for what you end up getting.

Posted by: WillSeattle | February 24, 2011 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Will this new Steve Jobs' gadget continue the racketeering tradition of only allowing the upload of software that he sells?

Posted by: analyst72 | February 24, 2011 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Please explain to me what it's like to feel smug about being fleeced.

Posted by: hayesap8 | February 24, 2011 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I would not describe the three changes as "big leaps forward" but as "incremental". There are some technology improvements but no technology breakthroughs. For example, a different CPU? Who cares really? Most users consume 10% of the the CPU and it will probably only marginally affect battery life.

Posted by: kevnet | February 25, 2011 8:25 AM | Report abuse