Posted at 8:10 AM ET, 02/ 3/2011

Verizon iPhone preorders start today, AT&T revamps data plans

By Hayley Tsukayama

Today's the first day that Verizon customers can preorder the Verizon iPhone. Demand for the iPhone is expected to be so great that Verizon has reportedly asked its own employees to hold off on buying their own for now. According to a memo leaked to the blog AppleInsider, the company asked employees to put customer demands first.

Customers can preorder the CDMA iPhone 4 on either the Verizon or the Apple Web site.

While AT&T may no longer have exclusive rights to the iPhone 4, that doesn't mean the company is cutting back on its promotion of the handset. AT&T is poking fun at the fact that customers on the Verizon iPhone can't talk and surf at the same time.

The company also announced that it is revamping its tethering plan and debuting its own hotspot app, which will be available Feb. 13, beginning with the in-store launch of the HTC Inspire 4G. There's no official word yet on whether AT&T will also extend the hotspot capabilities to the iPhone 4.

Also starting Feb.13, AT&T will add an additional 2GB of monthly data usage to smartphone customers on a tethering plan at no extra charge. According to AT&T's press release, customers will receive a text message from AT&T to let them know when the additional 2GB has been auto-added to their plan.

By Hayley Tsukayama  | February 3, 2011; 8:10 AM ET
Categories:  Apple, Gadgets, Mobile
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Google demonstrates Android's Honeycomb tablet version, brings Android Market to the Web
Next: Report: New iPad spotted at The Daily launch

Comments

Hello Heyley - probably you are not aware that Verizon is NOT giving employee discounts at this time, and asked them to wait for 3months, and depending on demand, they would decrease that time, so the employee's are not interested to take iphone now.

Posted by: Doug221 | February 3, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"AT&T is poking fun at the fact that customers on the Verizon iPhone can't talk and surf at the same time."

Posted by: dkp01 | February 3, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

@dkp01

"i would just like to point out that you can barely talk on AT&T's network with any phone"

Not sure where you use your phone but I rarely have had dropped calls in the 20 years that I've used the network therefore you really should do your homework and speak what you know.

Posted by: keebrew2000 | February 3, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"I would just like to point out that you can barely talk on AT&T's network with any phone."

Not true. When I first switched to AT&T with my Nokia phones, I forgot what dropped calls were. Now with the iPhone 4, AT&T has worked with me in reporting any problem spots to resolve the issues. I haven't had a dropped call in several weeks now.

Posted by: midanae | February 3, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I tried the i-phone for one year. Great device, but AT&T is not usable for people who need to actually talk on the phone. Back to Sprint. NO dropped calls. I am pulling for Verizon and shorting AT&T stock. I hope there is some way to get headlines on how many people are jumping ship.

Posted by: davidbrowne | February 3, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: davidbrowne | February 3, 2011 1:50 PM
========================================
I've had AT&T for 11 years now, and have had very few dropped calls. where do you guys live? In a Cave or something?

Posted by: Angryman | February 3, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@Angryman: while it's nice to hear not all AT&T customers have problems, the network is notorious for dropped calls in urban areas. Whenever I lose a customer call on my office landline, I can almost guarantee they will complain about having AT&T when they call back. I have been with Verizon for many years, never had a problem and that's why I waited to get an iPhone until today. Go with what you like but don't be all surprised that ATT&T's reputation isn't the best on this subject. Cave? No, but I can Google, can you?

Posted by: GreybirdK1 | February 3, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Too little, too late, when Android is taking the world by storm?

Posted by: alarico | February 3, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I have an Iphone with AT&T & a Blackberry with Verizon. I would rate Verizon slightly better especially around the pentagon and on metro.

Both however are better than Sprint from my experience.

Posted by: scootab22 | February 3, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

@keebrew2000, midanae, Angryman:
You haven’t had problems with AT&T? Good for you. But don’t trash talk those who do have problems. They are not wrong, and your scolding them won’t alter their experience or change their minds. Maybe you like broccoli, but that doesn’t mean everybody has to like it. That’s why there is more than one carrier and more than one phone.

Posted by: 54Stratocaster | February 3, 2011 9:00 PM | Report abuse

The issue with ATT is the bandwidth usage of the iphone. It is a very strong device which uses a lot of juice. That's why it has become useless in NYC and San Fran. Tons of iphone users. DC is a blackberry town and is a hot spot for Verizon. Top tech sites predict the same issues with the iphone once Verizon gets millions of users. On a lot weaker network.

Posted by: rundre | February 3, 2011 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I always find it amusing when people debate which cell carrier has the best reception, least dropped calls, etc. Folks, it all depends where you live and frequent. Each carrier has its areas where it has more cell sites than others. For me, Verizon and Sprint do not work in my house, AT&T does. If I lived a few miles away, it would be different. No one is "right."

Posted by: woocane | February 4, 2011 12:31 AM | Report abuse

By now it is safe to assume we have all heard the news that Apple will enable their iPhones and iPads with NFC functionality or that ISIS is planning to change the mobile payments world as we know it or that analysts are saying there is proof that mobile payments powered by NFC will take off this year.

Well, every coin has two sides and Karen Webster has shared her thoughts on why NFC will not be the flame to ignite the explosive growth of mobile payments.

Read More: http://www.pymnts.com/will-apple-get-us-to-wave-at-the-point-of-sale/

Posted by: DC5Jenn | February 4, 2011 9:21 AM | Report abuse

They did not ask us to not buy one. They blocked the pre sale purchase and TOLD US if we find one on your account we will move it off of the consession account and onto a cunsumer version and lose your discount. There was no ask...

Posted by: JML857 | February 4, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse