Posted at 2:50 PM ET, 03/ 2/2011

iPad vs. iPad 2: What's new in the latest Apple tablet

By Hayley Tsukayama

techspecsipad2.jpg
Here's how the second-generation iPad stacks up against its predecessor.

The iPad 2 is also a third thinner than the original iPad and comes with a gyroscope to match that of the iPhone 4.

blackandwhiteipad2.jpg whiteipad2.jpg ipadcover.jpg

By Hayley Tsukayama  | March 2, 2011; 2:50 PM ET
Categories:  Apple
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: iPad 2: Will you buy it?
Next: Google pulls malware apps from Android Market

Comments

That's not altogether true. Verizon had the original ipad as well.

Posted by: artod4789 | March 2, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

The original iPad was recently sold by Verizon, but only the wifi model.

Posted by: Corn_Laden | March 2, 2011 8:34 PM | Report abuse

VZ had the original, but not w/ the built in 3G chip to connect to their network.

They sold it bundled w/ the VZ mifi device, and you used Wifi from the mifi device to connect. You had to carry 2 devices.

Posted by: BEEPEE | March 3, 2011 2:14 AM | Report abuse

...and still no USB?

Posted by: Southeasterner | March 3, 2011 2:58 AM | Report abuse

So when you buy the iPad2 you get one of those stickers of an apple with a bite taken out of it. Do the people who bought the original Apple iPad get a sticker of a sucker with a bite taken out of it?

Posted by: logan9 | March 3, 2011 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Envious?

Posted by: bernay | March 3, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

@logan9

Sucker for what? I got my iPad last April and have got my $500's worth. Now, I'll pass it along to my wife and pick up a new one. Ditto with my phone. And if an iPad 3 comes out that is compelling to me(and it'll have to be pretty compelling) I'll pass the original to my mother in law severely curtailing her Windows use. I'll pass the iPad 2 to the wife and get the new one.

The iPad is a great device. As a professional developer, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Posted by: eternalemperor | March 3, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Eternalemperor
I concur with your positive assessment of Apple products.
However it might be unwise to reveal your trickle down theory of Apple recycling. Especially if wife and MIL read this post and also know your handle.LoL

Maybe between Apple and Android platforms, Windows will go the way of the Dodo! :-)

Posted by: ttc215 | March 3, 2011 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I think tablets are a great invention, and I have often considered buying one. But I depend on my laptop (I spend many hours per day on it) and realize the tablet would be, for me, an expensive toy. If I were wealthy I might buy one anyway, though I have ethical reservations about the American habit of keeping up with newness and spending wealth on expensive toys.

Posted by: ejmurphy414 | March 5, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse