Suggested Questions for Shaun Donovan
The GAO suggests the next secretary of Housing and Urban Development faces three main challenges:
• Modernizing the Federal Housing Administration (FHA)
• Reforming Rental Housing Assistance Programs
• Strengthening Accountability in Disaster Assistance
Among the questions GAO suggests lawmakers ask Obama's HUD nominee:
• FHA has taken some steps to modernize its insurance processes, but still has administrative inefficiencies, risk management challenges, and has seen its financial condition deteriorate. What would be your management priorities in terms of resource investments and process reengineering to improve FHA’s administrative and financial performance? Drawing from your experience, what techniques in understanding and managing risk could FHA improve upon as it takes on an expanded role in today’s unsettled mortgage market?
• As you may know, thousands of third-party administrators—such as housing agencies and individual property owners—are responsible for ensuring that only eligible households receive rental housing assistance, that properties meet health and safety standards, and that federal resources are spent wisely. Based on your experience, what are the critical management skills needed to ensure that these third-party entities are performing effectively?
• What do you believe should be the department’s role in assisting victims of hurricanes and other natural disasters, and what obstacles, if any, prevent the department from performing such a role?
| January 13, 2009; 12:55 PM ET
Categories: Agencies and Departments, Confirmation Hearings, Congress
Save & Share: Previous: Bush's Physician Gets Last-Minute Appointment
Next: Suggested Questions for Lisa P. Jackson
The comments to this entry are closed.