Suggested Questions for Hillary Clinton
Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) appears before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee today for what's expected to be an easy confirmation hearing.
While Clinton is likely to face questions about the Mideast conflict, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and maybe even her husband's charitable work, the General Accountability Office recommends lawmakers also focus on some managerial and procedural issues. It suggests Clinton will have to, among other things, police several regional conflicts, reform the nation's visa and passport operations, address staffing challenges, HIV/AIDS issues and increase humanitarian assistance.
The Eye has read the report, picked out some of the more interesting questions and posted them after the jump. You can leave your suggested questions (and guess Clinton's answers) in the comments section below.
• What skills and abilities do you have that would prepare you for managing government programs in war zones or regions in conflict?
• What skills do you have for developing a comprehensive long-term strategy to enhance and rationalize passport operations in ways that go beyond simply increasing capacity?
• What experience have you had managing overseas operations of a large organization and allocating resources, including human capital, across various competing lines of effort?
• Do you have any background in international member organizations that illustrates how you might address long-standing barriers to the advancement of UN management reforms, including disagreements and competing priorities among member states?
• What skills and abilities do you bring to run [counternarcotics] programs in adversarial foreign environments like those in Afghanistan and parts of Colombia and Mexico?
• Other countries’ human rights records are an important consideration for making a range of foreign policy decisions. What aspects of your background have prepared you to address human rights violations and make these important decisions?
• What skills and abilities do you have to manage humanitarian assistance programs in crisis situations, be they short-term or open- ended in nature?
The Federal Eye is on Twitter! Are you?
| January 13, 2009; 6:50 AM ET
Categories: Administration, Confirmation Hearings, Congress
Save & Share: Previous: Suggested Questions for Steven Chu
Next: Suggested Questions for Arne Duncan
Posted by: PhorkinSpoon1 | January 13, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: anderson2 | January 13, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: ignoranceisbliss | January 13, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: flintston | January 13, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: dullard | January 13, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: LOONYBIN2000 | January 13, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: flintston | January 13, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: LTCSTAN | January 13, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: allenparker | January 13, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: soniasonesco | January 13, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.