Judd Gregg Withdraws: Full Statement

By Ed O'Keefe

Sen. Judd Gregg (R-N.H.) has withdrawn his name from consideration for commerce secretary -- the second person nominated for the position to do so.

Here's his full statement:

Senator Gregg Statement on His Withdrawal for Consideration of U.S. Commerce Secretary

Sen. Gregg stated, "I want to thank the President for nominating me to serve in his Cabinet as Secretary of Commerce. This was a great honor, and I had felt that I could bring some views and ideas that would assist him in governing during this difficult time. I especially admire his willingness to reach across the aisle.

"However, it has become apparent during this process that this will not work for me as I have found that on issues such as the stimulus package and the Census there are irresolvable conflicts for me. Prior to accepting this post, we had discussed these and other potential differences, but unfortunately we did not adequately focus on these concerns. We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy.

"Obviously the President requires a team that is fully supportive of all his initiatives.

"I greatly admire President Obama and know our country will benefit from his leadership, but at this time I must withdraw my name from consideration for this position.

"As we move forward, I expect there will be many issues and initiatives where I can and will work to assure the success of the President's proposals. This will certainly be a goal of mine.

"Kathy and I also want to specifically thank Governor Lynch and Bonnie Newman for their friendship and assistance during this period. In addition we wish to thank all the people, especially in New Hampshire, who have been so kind and generous in their supportive comments.

"As a further matter of clarification, nothing about the vetting process played any role in this decision. I will continue to represent the people of New Hampshire in the United States Senate."

By Ed O'Keefe  | February 12, 2009; 4:21 PM ET
Categories:  Administration, Revolving Door
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cabinet Secretaries Mark Lincoln's Birthday
Next: Gregg Links Withdrawal to Census Concerns

Comments

What a turkey. Go back to NH so they can vote your sorry a$$ out of office next election.

Posted by: pgeagle | February 12, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Of course, everyone forgets his "guilt by association" problem with Abramoff. We don't know where the truth of that investigation lies. I am glad he withdrew because of that.

Posted by: goldie2 | February 12, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I would like to know all the details surrounding the current events--- maybe some on the staff of the Washington Post could proul around and find out.

Posted by: dbaker00711281944 | February 13, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah peagle, and goldie2... You are going to get what you want. Obamas cabinet is jammed full of tax cheats that only paid up when they had to to get their jobs, not to mention that the first appointments he made as Pres, and the first Executive orders he signed, blatantly broke promises he made to get elected.

Along comes Judd Gregg he's been vetted and found to be clean as a whistle, and will not compromise his beliefs so he's going to be abused by liberal apologists for refusing to compromise his basic belief system.

There may not be any room in this administration for a Man with principles. Lord knows there's no danger of too many honest men in this administration

Posted by: franknshadow | February 13, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE PRAY FOR THE SAFETY OF OUR PRESIDENT

The visibility of those against him in my estimation provides enough proof for all of us to really wonder what might be the next move against him.

Posted by: dbaker00711281944 | February 13, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

good luck and good riddance

Posted by: bharris2 | February 13, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse