Eye Opener: A Meeting With the President
Happy Monday! Ever wondered who the president meets with on a regular basis and what he's working on? The Post's new POTUS Tracker analyzes President Obama's meetings with key members of his administration, Congress, foreign dignitaries, interest groups and regular citizens.
So with whom has he met most often? Perhaps not surprisingly, Vice President Joe Biden has been by his side for many of the briefings and other meetings. (Click on the person's name to see their meetings with Obama.) As for the Cabinet, Sec. Hillary Rodham Clinton has met with, or been at public events with him the most, followed by Timothy F. Geithner and Robert M. Gates.
Obama's schedule is dominated by foreign policy and the economy, thanks to his daily economic and foreign policy briefings. Outside the Beltway, he has held the most events in Virginia, Maryland, California, Illinois, Arizona, Indiana and New York. And beyond his most pressing concerns, he's also spent time with less political luminaries, including 2008 NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion Jimmie Johnson, Pittsburgh Penguin Coach Dan Bylsma and Mikhail Gorbachev.
Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.
• Many of Obama's Top Appointees Still Missing: The New York Times reports that, "Of more than 500 senior policymaking positions requiring Senate confirmation, just 43 percent have been filled -- a reflection of a White House that grew more cautious after several nominations blew up last spring, a Senate that is intensively investigating nominees and a legislative agenda that has consumed both."
• Flu Strategists See Schools on Front Line: They are likely to serve as centers for mass immunizations, which could sharply reduce H1N1's reach, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state and local authorities.
• Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano Going Nowhere on Immigration Reform So says NY Daily News columnist Albor Ruiz.
• Clunker Owners Seek Last-Minute Trade-Ins: The car program ends tonight! (The Eye got his last weekend. Phew!)
• Negligence Suits Likely Over VA Procedures: The department has notified more than 11,000 veterans who had endoscopic procedures at three of its facilities that they may have been exposed to cross-contamination. VA has advised them to return for testing.
• CIA Officer Disciplined for Alleged Gun Use in Interrogation: He allegedly used a gun to intimidate a captured al-Qaeda suspect and was formally disciplined, but Bush administration Justice Department officials ultimately declined to file charges.
• NASA May Outsource Amid Budget Woes: Proposals call for contractors to build and run competing systems under commercial contracts, according to federal officials, aerospace-industry officials and others familiar with the discussions.
• The Man Who Sells America’s IOU’s: A NYT profile of Van Zeck, the commissioner of the public debt, who has the world’s biggest credit card.
• Can The White House Clean Up Executive Pay Mess?: No one is feeling that conflict quite as much as Kenneth Feinberg, the Treasury Department czar who now finds himself stuck between a bonus and a brouhaha.
• Congress Weighs Program to Groom Defense Civilian Leaders: The Department of Defense Civilian Leadership Program would select candidates from inside as well as the private sector for special training and assignments designed to help the government develop a "new generation" of civilian talent.
• FBI Chief Condemns Lockerbie Bomber's Release: Robert S. Mueller III has strongly condemned Scotland's justice minister for freeing the only man convicted in the bombing, saying in a letter that his action had made a "mockery" of justice and encouraged terrorists everywhere.
• Small Businesses Win Smaller Share of Federal Contracts in FY'08: Federal agencies awarded $10 billion more in prime contracts to small businesses in fiscal 2008 than in fiscal 2007, but the percentage going to small businesses actually decreased from 22 percent to 21.5 percent.
| August 24, 2009; 6:00 AM ET
Categories: Administration, Eye Opener
Save & Share: Previous: 2 NTSB Managers Investigated in Noose Incident
Next: Aaron Williams Sworn in as Peace Corps Director
Posted by: FraudObama | August 24, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.