Eye Opener: Nov. 13, 2009
• Cabinet and Staff News: White House Counsel Gregory Craig on the outs. Condoleezza Rice and Stephen Hadley launch the RiceHadley Group. Their boss, George W. Bush, is establishing a think tank. Hillary Rodham Clinton scores points in Philippines by talking about boxing. Pay Czar Kenneth Feinberg doesn't anticipate any firms will appeal his decisions. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar warns employees to behave at a Friday appearance by Jane Goodall.
• White House considering shift to more limited, short-term climate pact: The potential move comes less than a month before international negotiators meet in Copenhagen.
• Primacy of CIA station chiefs confirmed: Chiefs of station in countries across the world will continue to represent the office of the director of national intelligence, ending a brief turf battle between the heads of the two spy organizations, according to U.S. intelligence officials.
• FHA's cash reserves drop below legal amount: The reserve fund, which holds excess cash beyond what the agency needs to cover future losses on its outstanding loans, had an estimated value of $3.6 billion as of Sept. 30, an sharp drop from the $15.82 billion that last year's audit projected it would have by this time.
• CDC estimates H1N1 has killed 3,900: The agency's data cover a six-month period from April, when the virus causing the influenza pandemic was first discovered, through Oct. 17.
• NASA hopes rover will rove again: Engineers say they would begin trying to drive the Mars rover Spirit out of a sand trap where it became stuck last spring.
• Banks to prepay FDIC for failures: The agency will collect $45 billion from the banking industry to cover the rising cost of bank failures, an unprecedented assessment that reflects projections that the current round of failures will not peak until next year.
• A campaign to push the hiring of vets: It's ironic, and shameful, that President Obama's point man on his employment initiative for veterans is barred by law from being one.
| November 13, 2009; 7:15 AM ET
Categories: Eye Opener
Save & Share: Previous: Who's touring Asia with Obama
Next: Incorrect long-term care info mailed to gov't workers
The comments to this entry are closed.