GSA cuts mileage reimbursement for feds

By Ed O'Keefe

Mileage reimbursement rates will drop for federal employees in 2010 and stay on par with rates for the rest of the country.

Federal workers who use their own automobiles for official business will earn $.50 per mile when using their automobiles, $0.47 a mile for motorcycles and $1.29 per mile for anyone who uses their own private aircraft (yes, it happens), according to the General Services Administration.

By law GSA's reimbursement rates cannot exceed the IRS's rates, which dropped to the same levels. The agency tweaked this year's rates in consultation with the Pentagon, Transportation Department and federal workers unions.

By Ed O'Keefe  | January 5, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Workplace Issues
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who's attending Obama's anti-terror review?
Next: Chat With The Eye!

Comments

Is that picture supposed to be what federal employees look like when they are driving their POVs for work?

Posted by: gth1 | January 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more with previous poster. What a stupid picture to go with this story. Post should remove immediately.

Posted by: DCBuff | January 5, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

And no seat belts -- in a convertible !! That's asking for trouble.

Posted by: vdev | January 5, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Quite possible they're belted in; that car's much older than 3-point belts.
How does GSA know if I use my motorcycle rather than my car to do their bidding? And if it matters, do they really think the bike's only 3 cents/mile less expensive to operate?

Posted by: redlineblue | January 5, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I love the pic. You people are totally humorless.

Posted by: kayebee_18901 | January 5, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

This guy Ed O'Keefe looks like Oscar from The Office.

Posted by: signof4 | January 5, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Folks, the car is stationary. Note the following:

- The picture was taken by someone standing next to the car, unless the photographer was clinging to the hood for dear life.

- The hair on the passengers is motionless.

- On the far right, there is another parked car facing the opposite direction.

Posted by: pmryan | January 5, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

It's a start, now cut their salaries and benefits by 25% and you'll get our (taxpayer) attention.

Posted by: wesatch | January 5, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering how long it would take someone to bash Government workers... seems not all that long. A lot of ppl think gov workers are over paid for what they do... this is just not the way it is... I've been doing the work of three positions for the last three years not all that easy and I have to say that some things do fall out sometimes. The motto is do more with less... hummmmmm sounds like the outside work place to me... funny how someone can comment on something they just don't know about but preach it like it gospel... makes me laugh everything I read uninformed ppl replys.

Posted by: Concerned5 | January 5, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse