Postal Service plans normal Tuesday service

By Ed O'Keefe

Mail carrier Leslie Bonsiewich delivers mail on Hinton Avenue in Belmont, Va. during last Friday's snow. (AP/Megan Lovett)

Updated 1:05 p.m. ET
The U.S. Postal Service plans to deliver the mail as normal across the Washington region on Tuesday, despite the snowbanks, slushy roads and a perilous forecast.

Mail carriers should be able to complete their routes before the most intense periods of the storm begins, said spokeswoman Deborah Yackley. She urged customers to remove snow from around their mailboxes or clear a path to the front door to expedite the delivery process.

Mail carriers completed 80 percent of their deliveries on Monday and 70 percent of mail carriers reported for work, she said.

The Northwest and Randle post offices in Washington are closed today due to staffing shortages. Postal facilities are also closed at the following federal buildings: the State Department, NASA headquarters, Department of Agriculture, Department of Labor, Department of Interior, the Pentagon, the Frances Perkins Building, Navy Annex and the White House.

Retail operations at five post offices in Washington did not open on Monday: Cleveland Park, Farragut North, Georgetown, McPherson Square and Watergate. Retail operations at the Calvert branch in Hyattsville also did not open.

Leave your thoughts in the comments section below

RELATED: Previous Federal Eye reports on the Postal Service

By Ed O'Keefe  | February 9, 2010; 11:24 AM ET
Categories:  Agencies and Departments
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eye Opener: For the feds going to work today
Next: OPM Web site crushed by high traffic

Comments

No mail in NE DC since Friday!

Posted by: BrentwoodGuy | February 9, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

My last mail delivery (500 Block of 5th Street, S.E.) was on Friday. But on an ordinary week our carrier frequently shows up as late as 10:00 p.m. so I don;t have any hope of seeing mail today, either. Or tomorrow. Maybe by February 17... (No, that's not a typo - 10:00 P.M.)

Posted by: kbockl | February 9, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Same goes for me in northern va. Nothing on sat or Monday. Perhaps they changed their motto about delivering mail no matter what.....I doubt we'll see any mail this week at the rate they're going. I contacted the local office and they claimed we should have got mail yesterday. Spoke to neighbors and they said they saw the truck go by but it never stopped to put mail in the boxes, perhaps because our street was only plowed enough for one car to get by. I guess it's better to spend money on advertisements and be a sponsor of the olympics then hire hard working people to get out of truck to deliver mail. Something even a caveman could do....

Posted by: larry40 | February 9, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

No mail delivery on 16th Street in Dupont since Friday ....

Posted by: Surething- | February 9, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

The USPS is an anachronism. They could easily cut delivery to three days a week and few would even care. In 5-10 years get rid of it completely. Basically, the feds are funding a junk mail delivery service. At least end the subsidies and let them sink or swim.

Posted by: hit4cycle | February 9, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Hit4cycles has a problem. USPS isn't subsidized by the Feds. It pays its own way for now, but the time is coming that that won't be the case.

Posted by: almelbe | February 9, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

mail was deliverd as usual in Alexandria yesterday. gave the carrier my Netflix movie and got an e-mail from Netflix this morning that it was recieved.

Posted by: darrylkf | February 9, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

USPS-bashing is in but I have to give them a thumb's up; I got my mail on Monday in Forestville, MD.

Posted by: mercury52 | February 9, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

US Postal Regulations state that your mailbox MUST be accessible and unobstructed for the mail carrier to deliver safely without exiting their vehicle or your mail delivery can be suspended. This is especially important for rural route carriers. Come on people, leave a clear path to the box because your carrier doesn't have to dismount the vehicle to make your delivery.

Posted by: kp49va | February 9, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

No mail just north of Lincoln Park in NE Cap Hill since Friday and not expecting any until next week.

Posted by: joeasmith13 | February 9, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm just south of Lincoln Park and also haven't gotten mail since Friday. Here's hoping it comes today (although I won't hold my breath).

Posted by: evolberding | February 9, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

HAH! 80%? We haven't had mail service since Friday, and are still waiting for something, even though our mailboxes are unobstructed. Can't help the crappy street conditions here on 14th St NW, but I do wish I had a new Netflix to tide our cabin fever.

Posted by: jennthehen | February 9, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Cleveland Park Station forgot to shovel the front of the building - very tricky crossing that area. they did a path to the door and path from the exit! It seems to be a pattern as I have observed in the past several USPS retail operations didn't clear their sidewalks throughout the District.

Posted by: Chris543 | February 9, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Mail?? We're in Fairfax (city) and got our last mail Friday. Our neighborhood is walking deliveries, and the street wasn't even cleared until yesterday - but I'll be surprised if there is mail today (Tuesday) - maybe they need to reconsider those rate increases a bit longer ...

Posted by: webdevgal | February 9, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

No delivery in NoVA (Seven Corners) since Thursday. When we contacted USPS they could not tell us if we would receive mail today nor could they give us another estimate... I believe the comment was "How can we deliver if the staff cannot come to to work?" Patrick Henry Drive is clear to asphalt... Not sure what the single mail truck riding through the neighborhood has been doing the last 2 days but no one has had a mail delivery... Although UPS has managed to deliver...

Posted by: dcbasebal1 | February 9, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I live on Conn. & Nebraska NW and I also have not received mail since Friday. I understand conditions are difficult to deliver mail, but the post office (on Conn. near Chevy Chase circle) closed yesterday at 3pm and was still not open as of 10am this morning. Not sure I understand that...

Posted by: MsLippy | February 9, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

If the roads aren't plowed and many people haven't shoveled their walks, why should letter carriers risk their lives to deliver junk mail and catalogs?

I've been paying my bills online for years.

Posted by: solsticebelle | February 9, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

We got our mail in NoVa yesterday and today. Count me as one person who definitely appreciates the hard working mail carriers out there. I use the USPS a lot (although I agree the junk mail subsidies are ridiculous) and appreciate all of their hard work under difficult conditions.

Posted by: Pedalada | February 9, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Nothing where I am since Friday. I just need to cycle out my Netflix from the weekend. There is a nice path dug for the guy to get to the mailbox too.

In cases like this, they should let the carriers who drive trucks take them home. Those things are supposed to be all weather right?

Posted by: BurtReynolds | February 9, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

80%? That sounds made-up to me. I don't know anyone who got mail yesterday. I'm ok with them saying that they canceled mail delivery due to inability to access roads. But, making up statistics is just wrong.

Posted by: rosepetals64 | February 9, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

No mail in Woodley Park

Posted by: Bious | February 9, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if we don't have mail for a few days? It is *really* not an inconvenience for me.

Posted by: paklein84 | February 9, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Springfield (22152) had mail delivery yesterday and today.

Posted by: mallemployee | February 9, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

No mail for my building in Old Town Alexandria yesterday.

Posted by: oldtowngirl | February 9, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Cut them some slack. The roads are a wreck, people don't always clean their walks or make their mailboxes accessible. In our neighborhood, she attempted to deliver yesterday but could not make it up the hill - which is notoriously bad even with two inches of snow. Today, she delivered the entire neighborhood on foot after getting stuck again. Cut them slack and shovel your walk!

Posted by: smr2 | February 9, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Took you guys forever to post something on mail service. Too much hyperbole, too little help.

Posted by: thebuckguy | February 9, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

As a longtime letter carrier, now blissfully retired I's like to remind many people we have the same problems as everyone else. First if you can't get out of your un-plowed neighborhood what makes you think we can. How far do you have to commute to get to your job? Would that apply to Postal employees too? There also has to be mailed to be delivered. The trucks that bring the mail to each Post Office has to be able to get to it.Finally if carriers do manage to get to work and head out for deliveries how do we then get into neighborhoods that are still not plowed and how easy is it to get up to a house that hasn't shoveled and still has 30 inches of snow on the walkway?

Posted by: Selby64 | February 9, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

We got mail today in Wheaton, even with ice on our front steps (we have drips from our awning - it washes away the salt). I opened the door and said thank you to the mail carrier. I saw a fedex truck on my street. No UPS, though. I was expecting a package from them today and it's now marked "adverse weather conditions" in the tracking system.

Posted by: bnh123 | February 9, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Man, people are CRAZY. We have one of the four worst snowstorms ever and people are complaining that the postal carriers aren't out there with snowblowers to bring them the latest J.Crew catalog. Get over it you bunch of spoiled infants!

Incidentally, our mail was delivered both Monday and Tuesday to my great surprise. I would have preferred the mailman stay away until the neighborhood is cleared more. Nothing THAT important in the mail that couldn't wait another day or two.

Posted by: jva1 | February 9, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

We're in Brookland (NE DC) and just got our first mail delivery since Friday: a Kennedy Center monthly guide and a flyer. We average about 10 pieces of mail per delivery day (most of it real mail, some catalogues) so me thinks something is amiss ... but cheers to our wonderful postal carrier braving these unpleasant conditions.

Posted by: ChingWai976 | February 9, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

My neighborhood consists of 24 townhouses. We have one lane cleared for traffic and snow piled 6 ft high around the mailboxes.
After much effort the mailboxes were cleared only to have another neighbor push snow from across the street and blocked the boxes again (the boxes were cleared again).
Kevin, our postal delivery person, brought the mail today and was most appreciative for the cleared area where he has to work. People should use some common sense!

Posted by: tkrguy | February 9, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

NE DC here - 522pm - no mail delivery since Friday. Sometimes they show up as late as 6. Not complaining, don't blame mail carriers who have to deal with this stuff..... but do think USPS should be a bit more upfront and realistic about deliveries. If we're not going to get mail, just say so!

Posted by: tjs_dc | February 9, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Here in Cheverly MD there has been no mail since Friday. Our streets and walkways are clear.

Posted by: ssalo | February 9, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

no mail in hyattsville, maryland since Friday

Posted by: citycowgirl2000 | February 9, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Our roads were clear all day Tuesday, yet no mail since last Friday.

Posted by: Hornbeck | February 9, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Tuesday evening - no mail in Columbia Heights NW DC since Friday. I have no problem with no mail just don't tell me it's happening when it ain't. Government is in a state of denial - this is more than a snow emergency, for some it is reaching a real emergency.

Posted by: rockstone | February 9, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I live on Connecticut Avenue near the Zoo and got mail both Monday and Tuesday. UPS has some stuff for me but gave up a while ago, according to the tracking information. So should I conclude the Postal Service is better than UPS? Hardly. Everyone is having problems and IMHO is doing the best they can.

Posted by: jackharllee | February 9, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

It's now 9 p.m. on Tuesday -- no mail again today (and that is, none since Friday -- we were NOT among the "80%" who supposedly got it Monday). We live on a fairly major street in NW DC that is as well cleared as any, and sidewalks in the neighborhood are cleared as well. Please ask Ms. Yackley what's their excuse?

Posted by: crystal4 | February 9, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

No regular mail delivery by Eastern Market (7th and C SE) since Friday, Feb 5, 2010 despite an express mail delivery without incident Tuesday.

Posted by: vernma | February 10, 2010 3:49 AM | Report abuse

No mail in the Linden Hills neighborhood of Silver Spring. Roads are plowed, we shoveled a walk to our mailbox, but no mail since Friday. No, make that Thursday.

Posted by: jweissmn | February 10, 2010 6:10 AM | Report abuse

No mail in the Linden Hills neighborhood of silver spring since Thursday, despite the roads being plowed and the steps shoveled from the street to our mailbox.

Posted by: jweissmn | February 10, 2010 6:12 AM | Report abuse