The Federal Eye makes a Tuesday prediction...

By Ed O'Keefe

Watch the video above as The Federal Eye predicts the federal government's operating status for Tuesday. Will D.C.-area offices close again? Or operate with unscheduled leave? Maybe an early dismissal? Watch above then leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

Office of Personnel Management Director John Berry has said today that he will not make a final decision on Tuesday's operating status until after 6 p.m. Check the blog later tonight for an update.

By Ed O'Keefe  | February 8, 2010; 2:03 PM ET
Categories:  Video Report, Workplace Issues
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NOAA reorganizes to provide more info on global warming
Next: Federal government closed on Tuesday

Comments

If Metro, VRE, MARC, and local government buses are working, then I predict that the government will be open with unscheduled leave.

Posted by: solarsteve | February 8, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Unscheduled leave with an early dismissal would make sense if the previous days weren't a historic snowstorm but considering we are STILL DIGGING OUT....why even put them through that?

Right now a car is stuck in the snow trying to get out behind me in Woodley Park. That is still common

Just cancel and get things ready for Wed/Thurs

This isn't a joke

Posted by: Bious | February 8, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

solarsteve... ya' think?

Posted by: traveler11 | February 8, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I think, for safety reason, another day of being closed would make the most sense. Of course, I know Mr. Berry has to consider $$$ and that somehow always seems to outweigh safety. I imagine they will effect liberal leave, potentially w/ a 4 hour early dismissal, and leave it up to the individual worker to decide whether or not to brave it.

I will be taking leave without pay most likely tomorrow, and then again on Wednesday and Thursday if public transit is not operational. :(

Posted by: lisamarie2 | February 8, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

FYI, I just got power restored. My car is burried in the driveway. I usually take metro, but the metro doesn't even run within about 4 miles from here. I can't even get to the metro, unless I walk it. I can't find a bus that will get close to me, so how am I supposed to get to work? Now they predict around 6-8 inches more by Wednesday. Walking 4 miles each way in the cold will do wonders for the cold I'm recovering from after I lost power over the weekend.

Posted by: Fedworker3 | February 8, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

It would be absolutely insane for the federal government to be open tomorrow. There are still parts of downtown DC that are impassable, to say nothing of the suburbs. I almost got stuck several times on Eye Street between 11th and 14th, before heading over to K Street, which wasn't much better -- and these are main roads in the middle of the most heavily trafficked part of downtown.

Posted by: Ejote | February 8, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I really hope that money is not the deciding factor in this decision. Employee safety should outweigh anything monetary, in my book. I am worker who lives Reston, and I can tell you that the road that leads out of the neighborhood here has huge, broken tree limbs blocking the way. Most people aren't able to dig out yet, simply because there is nowhere to put the snow. Snowbanks are already 12 feet tall and are blocking people in. The Federal Government should absolutely be closed tomorrow. I am hopeful and confident that Mr. Berry will make the right decision. Be safe everyone!

Posted by: benchillada | February 8, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

The $100M "producivity/opportunity" cost is a hypothesized/unsubstantiated number, especially in the age of teleworking. I have supervised federal employees for over 25 years and know you will get more productivity from them when you show you care about their safety and well-being.

Posted by: sadieg | February 8, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Expect the government to be open with unscheduled leave an an early dismissal as Bious said in his post earlier today. After all, you can't expect this administration to cut federal employees a break now that the blizzard is no longer "front page news" outside the beltway. This way, the employee bears, or as this administration would say - shares, the burden of being safe!

Posted by: traveler11 | February 8, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

What's with the video? Forgot how to type?

Posted by: member8 | February 8, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

At my workplace, teleworkers who were scheduled to work at home on a snow day are still expected to work their normal schedule, so I find that "$100M" lost productivity figure highly suspect. I'm also finding it mildly offensive that the Federal Eye keeps quoting it repeatedly, subtly implying that federal workers should be feeling guilty at "wasting" the taxpayers' money.

Posted by: pollosmoky | February 8, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

If the government had a telework policy to accommodate for situations like this, gov't workers could continue to perform scaled down work from home. We knew on Thursday afternoon that there was a major storm on the way. I brought work home and planned to get some work done from a distance. This is not a reason for the federal gov't to shut down completely.

Posted by: Ottl54 | February 8, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

If $100 million is lost for each day, did federal workers do $50 million worth of work on Friday while they were standing around eating doughnuts, talking about the early dismissal, and watching for the first snowflake so they could bail out like a bunch of lemmings?

Posted by: member8 | February 8, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I dunno member8, how was it flipping burgers at McDonalds on Friday?

Posted by: Bious | February 8, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

With the Metro bus running on a limited schedule; above-ground trains not running at all; underground trains running on limited schedules - why bother? In Southern Prince George's County, most of us can't even get out of our neighborhoods! Where would we go even if we could? Sure, I could walk the 1.5 miles to the bus stop - for what? There aren't any buses running out here. THEN, I'd have to ride a bus to get another bus to get to an underground station...by the time I got to work, it would be 11 - only to turn around and come back after an early dismissal. As grateful as I am for a job, is it really work the risk? No!

Posted by: DAGR1 | February 8, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

DC Public Schools have closed for tomorrow

Just an FYI

Posted by: Bious | February 8, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Based on latest forecast looks like Feds will be closed on Wednesday as well if not tomorrow.

Posted by: Axel2 | February 8, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Your video doesn't work in Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox 3.5.7. I don't have trouble with videos elsewhere. Anyway, if you _must_ use a video in the future, could you also please type a summary?

Posted by: MBA2005 | February 8, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

It takes 45 minutes for OPM to update the web page with a tiny graphic? Is the web guy stuck in the snow too?

Posted by: tristesse27 | February 8, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Lets see...still waiting for a decision by John Berry...must be waiting for metro to decide if they will run trains above ground and metro buses; as well as waiting to see what VRE is going to do; as well as what PRTC is going to do; as well as...; well, you get the picture. After all, why listen to what the National Weather Service has to say!

Posted by: traveler11 | February 8, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

OPM says "closed."

Posted by: Ejote | February 8, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

This site says FEDS CLOSED TUESDAY.

Posted by: tailwagger | February 8, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I hope my agency in Baltimore follows suit.

I can't see how they would be open on Wednesday with the timing and amount of snow predicted with next storm either.

Posted by: RickyBobby | February 8, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I find it amusing the number of folks who buy into this "Fed employees don't work" myth. Federal employees work as hard as anyone else. Of course, you have slackers everywhere, not just in the Gov't, so please let it go!! It is a wise decision to put employee safety first. Even if, in the midst of the inclement weather, the Gov't gave "unscheduled leave" versus closing, many people would not be able to get to work anyway. The majority of the workforce would not be present, therefore, productivity will suffer. There are many of us that will be working from home, and many will not claim that as time worked, because we care about our jobs. All this negativity about the Federal workforce is getting old, its unwarranted and just uncalled for. To all those "naysayers" walk a mile in our shoes, take the time to see what we really do, and understand that we do care about our jobs--because I tell you what, most of us sure aren't doing it for the money!!!

Posted by: tlovesbeingaFed | February 8, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Journalists love to say closing the government will cost taxpayers x dollars. It will cost services, but the government in fact will expend less, not more money, today. I realize being accurate is sacrificed for being brief, but can't the Post try to get it right?

Posted by: Sutter | February 9, 2010 5:50 AM | Report abuse

"Federal employees work as hard as anyone else."

Yes, across the board employees work about 2 hours per 8 hour day. But private sector employees are at least not around to oppress everyone else. (They'll catch up on that next week.)

Posted by: member8 | February 9, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Does OPM say that the Federal Government in DC is OPEN on President's Day---Finally got one decision right!!!!!

Posted by: syoung29 | February 9, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Private sector employees have exactly the same obstacles getting to work. And we generally don't have the same generous leave provisions or job protection as federal employees. Try it our way: if you can get to work safely, show up. I will say that without feseral workers on the road, my commute today was much easier, so thanks for that.

Posted by: greyK | February 9, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse