What Gen. Petraeus learned from Rudy Giuliani

By Ed O'Keefe

In the latest "On Leadership" video interview, Gen. David Petraeus tells The Post's David Ignatius what leadership lessons he's learned from Ulysses Grant, former New York City mayor Rudolph Giuliani and former General Electric CEO Jack Welch.

"I remember when I was up in northern Iraq, somebody asked me, 'Do you see your role model as General MacArthur and the remaking of Japan?' I almost had to laugh out loud," Petraeus said during the interview. "I mean, he was such a regal, imperial figure in that role. Here we were just trying to reshape -- get northern Iraq back up on its feet and I said, 'You know, I...' I actually looked at Rudy Giuliani.

"This is the broken-window theory. Remember when he was the mayor of New York, he used to say don't let the broken window turn into the crack house. If you don't tend to these kinds of things when they first crop up, they get worse and worse and worse and all of a sudden you have a blighted neighborhood on your hands. In many respects that's what we're doing in northern Iraq."

Watch the video clip above or read a full transcript of the interview.

Leave your thoughts in the comments section below

By Ed O'Keefe  | February 17, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Video Report
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: OPM to agency bosses: Patience please
Next: Census workers who did no work were paid

Comments

I can listen to insights like those that Gen. Petraeus espoused in this interview as some of the people he mentioned I have great belief in. I especially enjoyed his comment that MacArthur was a regal and imperious person. His bearing and tactics would have made him a failure in the Arabic/Islamic areas.

Posted by: maldelus | February 17, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Petraeus for President 2012!

Posted by: read5 | February 17, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Petraeus for President 2012!

Posted by: read5 | February 17, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

This is not really big news, Ed. During his time as MNFI Commander, he told this story to the troops quite often, especially those involved in the military advisor mission.

Posted by: NHSkier | February 17, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

So far as gigolo Giuliani goes, if it wasn't for an federal economic plan that worked the state of N.Y. and the state of N.Y. N.Y wouldn't of never looked so good. The East coast and much of the nation had one thing in common, several signs that said "help wanted" and they all weren't cheap retail part timers either. Haven't seen it since but I'm willing to support Obama for at least 3 years considering the condition of the country after the illiterate greedy leadership of G.W. Bush and Cheney.
Giuliani would of ran for Governor of N.Y. if Hillary would of won the presidency because one thing that he knows is that the Clinton family knows how to run a country "for the people by the people" and N.Y. would of came to life again. And the worlds best known gigolo would of been there to take the credit.
So far as NAFTA goes for those of you that have been manipulated by halfwit talk radio, President Clinton had an economic plan that worked and supported NAFTA. Bush neglected NAFTA and the country with no economic plan and practically destroyed the country in the process. REAGAN started the trade deals with China not Clinton.

Posted by: kimkimminni1 | February 17, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse