Betty White's Census 'SNL' sketch (Video)

By Ed O'Keefe

In a nod to Christopher Walken's classic census spoof, Betty White and Tina Fey acted out what some census takers might be enduring as they attempt to count everyone on last night's "Saturday Night Live."

"How would you describe your race or ethnic origin?" Fey asks.

"Well, superior to Asians, but not as intelligent as blacks," White said.

Leave your thoughts in the comments section below

By Ed O'Keefe  | May 9, 2010; 10:16 AM ET
Categories:  Census
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ex-Interior Secretary Walter Hickel dies at 90
Next: The Postmaster General speaks out

Comments

It's a shame that political correctness now dictates that any remark by anyone that mentions race, must be instantly declared "racist" by somebody suffering from low self esteem.

Posted by: eldergent | May 9, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

That was too funny. I've done census work before, and they get respondents like her every once in a while.

Posted by: bbface21 | May 9, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Just be glad she didn't give you any muffins to eat...

Posted by: andio76 | May 9, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Betty,

Well done!

Posted by: veerle1 | May 9, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I got more laughs watching three Betty White skits on that show than I have all year from thoe rest of those know-it-all 30 year olds. Make her a cast member and I might start watching the whole show instead of just the opening skit.

Posted by: kls1 | May 9, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

what some people see as humor is just more liberal bias shoved down our throats. Wake up, read the constitution, and understand that the census is just one more illegal, bogus, trampling of our rights.

Posted by: northshorepa | May 9, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Well done Betty White and SNL. This is the first SNL this season that I watched from start to finish.

Posted by: NewEra | May 9, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Betty White and SNL for a truly funny show. Betty White is an inspiration to all of us who want to be on the planet at age 88. She showed us that age is just a number.

Posted by: Lavinsr4207 | May 9, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Northshorepa needs to read the Constitution because it is this very document that dictates that a census is required to be done by the Federal government.

Posted by: Lavinsr4207 | May 9, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious!

Posted by: sarahabc | May 9, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Her episode was the first time I'd laughed at SNL in years.

NorthshorePA, read Article 1 Sec. 2 of the Constitution. It says every 10 years, by whatever way the law demands. A part of it was changed by the 14th Amendment.

Posted by: dkp01 | May 9, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

That wasn't really funny. The writing was pathetic!

Posted by: jamespmarion | May 9, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

White plays the elder sterotype with real humor.

Posted by: peterroach | May 9, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Race itself is a racist concept, invented and imposed by racists, for racist ends. I predict the census will stop asking for race in 2030.

Posted by: staticvars | May 9, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

SNL was sort of funny Sat. The worst part was sitting through the BS that Jay-Z calls music. Jay-z seems to now be teaming up with people who can sing such as that foxy chick in the mini skirt while jay-Z spews his grunts in the background as if he is really adding something to song. That woman really had a beautiful voice along with beautiful legs and its a shame Jay-z took away so much from her song with his background grunts and stammering as if he really believes he is in the same class as a real singer. When is the public going to cal BS on this clown?

Posted by: matrox | May 9, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed Betty White too, and was amazed at the reception she got from a very young audience. Good for her, and the census is being done by idiots. I worked for it 10 years ago, as the second in command in the office, and believe me, all around it was an extreme waste of money.

Posted by: gerry11 | May 10, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

SNL was funny on Saturday night...and how classy of Jay-Z to dedicate a song to the timeless Betty White. He is such a great artist. I hate when closed-minded people (like matrox) believe that everyone in this country is supposed to like one genre of music. Matrox for the record, Jay-Z has the most number albums of any single artist in the history of American music. With that said...I'm sure he's doing something right and I'm sure there are many people who enjoy his music. Why don't you try making more open minded posts in the future? You may turn out a better person someday :-)

Posted by: matroxisanidiot | May 10, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

------------------------

It was real classy of Jay-Z to be rapping and using the word B!tches in his songs in a Mothers Day Celebration SNL. Real Classy.
A real No talented classy guy.

Posted by: BeaverCleavage | May 10, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: matroxisanidiot
----------------------------------
So he sold lots of albums, what does that really mean???
Crack was very popular too. And the murder rate was up. So I guess that means things are good. Now who is the real idiot? You can't even come up with an original name. Pretty much like Jay-z nothing but a bunch remixing.

Posted by: matrox | May 11, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

I'M CURRENTLY A CENSUS WORKER & HAVE WORKED FOR THE CENSUS 2 TIMES BEFORE. BETTY WHITES IMPRESSION AS A RESPONDENT IS SPOT ON IN MANY WAYS AND EXTREMELY FUNNY!! (I HAVE HAD GUNS POINTED AT ME, CHASED, THREATENED, AND VERBALLY ABUSED BECAUSE I'M A "GOVERNMENT-PUPPET"!!) BUT I ENJOY MEETING NEW PEOPLE EVERYDAY EVEN IF SOME ARE LIKE BETTY WHITE'S CHARACTER! I SALUTE BETTY WHITE AND SNL FOR A FANTASTIC SKIT!
RESPECTFULLY,
RODNEY KNOLTON
RKNOLTON@GMAIL.COM

Posted by: RODNEYINMEMPHIS | May 11, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Firstly, it wasn't just Betty's performance, it was the inspiration she crated amongst the writers. Sure it wasn't brilliant writing, but it was rather fun and when given to a master craftsman like Ms. White - it was made into gold.

Secondly... whomever called this sketch racist needs to stop smoking crack or wear their safety helmets when they dive head first into an empty pool. Come on folks- this had NOTHING to do with race and everything to do with a woman saying outrageous things in order to have some fun with (or at the expense of) the census enumerator.

Honestly... lets stop calling a spade a spade and realize that sometimes words are just meant to express something other than ignorance or hate. Reality is 100% perception, folks. Unfortunately... all too many people perceive hate where there is only a smile.

Oh... and re: the census. Whilst it is NOT the most organized, and might be the most ill managed operation I have ever seen, the Census goes to EXTREMES to protect the individual respondents' privacy. Please participate if you have not... it really does help communities in need - sadly the communities that can benefit most from census numbers.

Posted by: johncnnj | May 11, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Writing was PATHETIC and the whole thing was in poor taste. The obvious joke would have been "superior to blacks but not as intelligent as asians" as the stereotype of asians are that they're smart, and the typical depiction of a white supremacist is to say superior to blacks. But of course if THAT were to happen, there would be OUTRAGE. Because at the end of the day, it's okay to say stupid nonsense like that about asian americans, but not against african americans in the media. And eldergent, you are a blind idiot.

Posted by: instantsanctity | May 11, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Jay-Z reminded me of my cousin when he was a about 2 years old when he would grab a fake karaoke mic and pretend to be a famous singer jumping around all uncoordinated and singing his heart out thinking he sounded good but of course sounding like crap. The difference is at least my cousin was singing.

Posted by: pt1836metz | May 11, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse