Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Obama to tap Jacob Lew as OMB director

By Ed O'Keefe

By Anne E. Kornblut and Ed O’Keefe:

President Obama will announce Jacob Lew as his new director of the Office of Management and Budget at noon, the White House said.

Jacob Lew
Jacob Lew (Ray Lustig/Post)

In tapping Lew to replace outgoing OMB director Peter Orszag, Obama would be moving an important adviser to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton into his former role. Lew was OMB director from 1998 to 2001. Lew is currently serving as deputy secretary of management and resources at the State Department.

“The experience and good judgment Jack has acquired throughout his impressive career in the public and private sector will be an extraordinary asset to this administration’s efforts to cut down the deficit and put our nation back on a fiscally responsible path," President Obama said in a statement. "As the budget director who left the next administration a $237 billion surplus when he worked for President Clinton, I have no doubt that Jack has proven himself equal to this extraordinary task. I am grateful he has agreed to serve in this critical role, and I look forward to working with him in the weeks and months ahead.”

Leave your thoughts in the comments section below

RELATED: Obama to tap Jacob Lew to replace Peter Orszag as OMB chief

WHORUNSGOV: Jacob Lew profile

--

Statement of Peter R. Orszag on the Selection of Jack Lew to be the Next OMB Director:

“I have known Jack Lew for more than a decade, have worked with him under two Presidents, and value his counsel and friendship. After bringing the economy back from the brink of a depression and onto the road to recovery, the nation still faces significant fiscal challenges that, as the President has noted, will require some tough choices in the months to come. With his experience, mastery of the budget process, and passion for public service, Jack Lew is an individual especially qualified to serve the President and the American people during these challenging economic times. I congratulate Jack on his selection, and will do what I can to support him, the economic team, and the President as they work to put our country on a sustainable fiscal path.”

By Ed O'Keefe  | July 13, 2010; 10:54 AM ET
Categories:  Administration, Revolving Door  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Levin backs 'don't ask' survey, but understands 'resentment'
Next: Hillary Clinton bids adieu to Jacob Lew

Comments

all this moron POTUS has to do is cut off his greedy liberal hands...then he can't dip into other people's money...he could then smoke his crack pipe with his feet...or have barney franks bend over and smoke his crack...liberal democrats are a waste of human life.

Posted by: JWx2 | July 13, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I think it's time morons on the left finally understand the budgetary process.

That "surplus" never existed. It was a PROJECTION by the Congressional Budget Office in January 2001 to cover the next decade.

It assumed that late-1990s economic growth and the stock-market bubble (which had already peaked) would continue forever and generate record-high tax revenues. It assumed no recessions, no terrorist attacks, no wars, no natural disasters, (each resulting in massive lower tax revenues and requisite increased spending) and that all discretionary spending would fall to 1930s levels.

It's was a fairytale, best case scenario PROJECTION morons - unless you're all stupid enough to think that Clinton somehow managed to stuff away trillions in a vault somewhere for a rainy day (between BJ's of course).

Posted by: Bcamp55 | July 14, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company