The private vs. public pay debate (Video)

By Ed O'Keefe

The Federal Eye joined Allison Seymour on Tuesday's "Fox 5 Morning News" to discuss the ongoing debate about studies suggesting federal workers earn more than double their private sector counterparts.

"Simply put, these stories have compared apples to oranges," Office of Personnel Management Director John Berry said Monday. "Federal workers are not paid double the private sector."

The Eye did his best to sort out the debate in the video clip above.

Leave your thoughts in the comments section below

By Ed O'Keefe  | August 17, 2010; 11:45 AM ET
Categories:  Video Report, Workplace Issues
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Federal Eye on Pentagon pollution and the Postal Service (Video)
Next: White House easing travel restrictions to Cuba?

Comments

"Federal workers are not paid double the private sector."

If not, they certainly do less than half the work!

Posted by: jiji1 | August 17, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Why would the Bureau of Economic Analysis lie about Federal pay---They won't it is their job--what does OPM know about federal pay--OPM was the organization who gave Federal employees on vacation in Flordia during the snow storms last winter their vacation/leave back because the feds in DC were told to stay home --with pay
Oh ya forgot to mention the private sector has to make a profit---the feds are paid for attendance not performance---pay, promotions are tied to attendance--NOT performance---

Posted by: syoung29 | August 17, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

syoung29 and jiji1 if you think gov jobs are so sweet why haven't you tried to get one. You make it sound like paradise, less work more pay, job security etc etc.
I've done it for 40 years and I'm not getten rich here. I'm barely scrapping by, just like anyone else. So if you think gov workers are getting such a good deal the apply for the job if you can cut it. If you can't then sit down and be quiet.

Posted by: g1v3up | August 18, 2010 1:31 AM | Report abuse

First of all, Fox is a republican based news organization. They are not "fair and balanced". Neither is CNN or the lot of them. They report on what they want to report and leave out what they want. I want to see the analysis on my own because that is what we ALL should do, read it for ourselves and determine on our own what is factual and not factual. I dont watch much news anymore. Like elections, I am turned off by how slighted it all is. There is always 2 sides and somewhere in the middle is the truth. I seek factual truth.

Posted by: IGotLotsToSay | August 18, 2010 5:13 AM | Report abuse

I watched that video with alot of sadness. Ed started with telling the truth about the report and the unequal comparison... but fed worker professionals (ie. Accountants) ARE NOT equivelant to a private sector accountants. And Ed thinks a govt accountant does less than a private sector accountant? He knows NOTHING about that profession! I know many private sector accountants making 3 or 4 times my salary, DOING ALOT less than my workload, getting a pension (401k) package that triples my measly pension AND TSP, having partnership and company buy-ins to own their company share... just for being there! They can be fired JUST AS EASY as I could be fired. They have access to SAME govt benefits and protections as I do! The list goes on and on! Scirentists, Doctors, Engineers, etc etc... the results are all the same! The only fair way to compare is each individual position... Screw these Powerpoint squewed GOP Cato Institute reports and forget Ed OKeefe and his non-knowledge of federal workers or their mission and workload!

Posted by: darbyohara | August 18, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm a federal attorney and I make 1/3rd of what private sector attorneys make.

It's not enough to pay off my debt, buy a house, or even a car. It's barely enough to get by on.

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | August 18, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

If you're just "scrapping" by as a bureaucrat it's probably because you're too stupid to get real job.

Posted by: jiji1 | August 18, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse