'Don't ask, don't tell': McCain scolds reporters

By Ed O'Keefe

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who led GOP efforts to block a U.S. Senate vote on "don't ask, don't tell,", had a testy exchange with reporters shortly after the vote, disagreeing with suggestions the Defense Department actively seeks out gay and lesbian service members.

Video of the exchange posted by National Review Online (in violation of Senate rules against photography and filming in the print press gallery) shows the Advocate's Kerry Eleveld and Metro Weekly's Chris Geidner questioning McCain on his insistence that the military does not "go out and seek to find out someone's sexual orientation."

McCAIN: We do not go out and seek. Regulations are, we do not go out and seek to find out someone's sexual orientation. We do not!
ELEVELD: But senator, that's not ...
McCAIN: That is the fact! That is the fact. Now ma'am, I know the military very well, and I know what's being done. And what is being done is that they are not seeking out people who are gay. And I don't care what you say, I know it's a fact.
ELEVELD: It's not what I say.
McCAIN: I don't care what you say! And I don't care what others say. I've seen it in action. I've seen it in action. I have sons in the military, I know the military very well. So they're not telling you the truth.
ELEVELD: Senator, just to make sure...
McCAIN: Just to make sure, we do not go out and seek out and find out ...
ELEVELD: Private e-mails are not being searched? Private e-mails are not being searched?
MCCAIN: ... see if someone is gay or not. We do not go out and see whether someone is gay or not.
ELEVELD: There are documented cases ...
McCAIN: They do not, they do not, they do not. You can say that they are, you can say [inaudible] it's not true! ... Yeah, I'd like to see ...
GEIDNER: It is the case of Mike Almy, Senator.
McCAIN: Bring them to our office. It is not the policy, it is not the policy, it is not the policy.
GEIDNER: But it is the case that it's happening, Senator.
MCCAIN: It is not the policy, it is not the policy, it is not the policy You can say that it is the policy, sir, if you choose to. It is not the policy. I would be glad to get that to you in writing.

Almy, an Air Force officer, was discharged in 2006 after the military acquired e-mails he sent to his boyfriend.

But so-called "third-party outings" were banned earlier this year by Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates, unless they're instituted by top military brass, so McCain's statements are only kind of correct that the military does not currently "seek out" gay troops.

(This item was updated and corrected on Sept. 24: The video of McCain's exchange was shot by National Review Online and not ThinkProgress.)

Leave your thoughts in the comments section below

By Ed O'Keefe  | September 21, 2010; 7:58 PM ET
Categories:  Congress
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lawrence Summers is going back to Harvard
Next: 'Don't ask, don't tell': The legal options

Comments

Mr. McCain is a pathetic hypocrite. If he didn't have a hotly contested race, he might be willing to vote according to his true convictions and previous public statements on repeal of DADT. Since he has to tack to the right, he is willing to sell principle to the lowest bidder. I wonder if his sons in the military give a crap about the sexual orientation of the guys/women who have their backs.

Posted by: mpmcandrews | September 21, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

mpmcandrews: you think he has "true convictions" any more? I have never been more wrong about a politician in my life. He is a huge disappointment to many. Probably to himself, too.

Posted by: baldinho | September 21, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

What a shame this man didn't leave government when he actually had a reputation to protect. He is shameless. There's no fool like an old fool.

Posted by: Keesvan | September 21, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Of course the Senator doesn't care what anyone says; he's royalty (or, at least, thinks he is).

That's the false dream

Posted by: rogied25 | September 21, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't even know ehy we bother with this dude, he shamed himself and the Senate. Its dispicable what he has become.

Posted by: mheron75 | September 21, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

"Such so-called "third-party outings" were banned earlier this year by Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates, making McCain's statements technically correct that the military does not currently "seek out" gay troops."
________________________
Writing "Technically correct" is an attempt to make it sound like McCain is misleanding in his statement. McCain is non just "technically correct", he is correct in in every sense of the word.

Dems are just trying to get gay votes for the election, and couldn't care less if there is a negative imapact on national security or on military readiness.

Posted by: amazd | September 21, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

He reminds me of the little kid who puts his fingers in his ears and shouts to the top of his lungs, "I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" Pathetic ... but then he's today's example of an angry OLD white man.

Posted by: dominik_12 | September 21, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Phony hero. Gets into Annapolis on his dads creds, parties his way to the bottom of the class, crashes five planes costing the military and the people tons of money, then the last one he crashes lands him in a tiger cage in SE Asia where he squawks like a canary.
He's lost it!

Posted by: skinswitabullet | September 21, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

There is seriously something wrong with America when a Jackass like this can hold public office.

Posted by: larry9 | September 21, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

what a shame and embarassment John McCain has become.....He compromises his character to get re-elected? So sad....He should just go quietly instead of pandering to the far right like he is doing.He is acting childish by repeating his mantra constantly. Reminds me of a child saying "I didn't do it! I didn't do it!" (when he DID DO IT)

Posted by: phylb123 | September 21, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

On both immigration and gay rights, McCain is capitulating to the far-right mob squads which have become his base in Arizona. He intends to let his state burn in hatred while he rides the flames to re-election.

Posted by: patrickschabe | September 21, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I voted for him 2000, wrote him in, because I thought he was an honorable man. The older he gets the more I think he is crank and his time to retire has come. If I were from Arizona, I would have voted for opponent.

Posted by: mrwx | September 21, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

This is news?

Posted by: moebius22 | September 21, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm with AMAZD, where was Senator McCain wrong with these particular statements and assertions? Posting this video is nothing less than sensationalistic journalism.

It's a discredit to a man who spent weeks on a mud floor with broken arms for our nation. "skinswitabullet" might want to experience that before he lists his faults. Go ahead, cast your stones.

Other low performers at the academies include Grant and Patton...

Posted by: DonnyKerabatsos | September 21, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

McCain, you are a LIAR! As a service member who was discharged after my e-mail was invaded, then printed and read, I will tell you now, they do. I served 6 years honorably. Served one tour in Iraq and then saved over 300 lives when our OOD almost ran our ship aground. Rather then receive a NAM, I received a discharge. And, btw McCain...who "knows the military very well"... the policy clearly states: Only a commander in the Service member’s COC, in the grade of O-7 or higher, is authorized to initiate fact-finding inquiries involving homosexual conduct. So, if I were to go by what you are saying, McCain, can I have my career back in the military?!? Because I NEVER did anything suspect or told anyone. I had my e-mail invaded and then brought to me, where I was questioned in a room by an IO and a witness....so, McCain, if you're a somebody who is anything in this world, I'd like you to stick to your word and give me back the life I loved, the career I gave everything too and the uniform I donned with pride EVERY morning. Thank you!

Posted by: rachaelhairston | September 21, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm always surprised when people bring up McCain's POW time as a reason his work in the Senate should be above all questioning. It just doesn't work that way. No matter his past, he answers to the people, like any other politician. And frankly, he should be able to speak with a reporter without losing his cool.

Posted by: sarahabc | September 21, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

To Rachel Hairston-

First and foremost, thank you for your service to our country.

You're a hero in my book.

I find the entire discussion of DADT to be uttering disheartening. Those who are blocking its repeal should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

They are putting politics before the good of the country.

And Senator McCain knows that.

Shame on him.

Shame on every Senator who blocked the vote for purely political reasons, while patriotic gay soldiers risk their lives for their hides.

Shame on them all.

Posted by: ricklinguist | September 21, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Liberals spend too much time learning about military life from movies, and not from actually serving. No one cares about DADT.

Posted by: JohnnyGee | September 21, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Sarahabc,

It says MUCH about his character. I doubt any poster here has had to make the choices he did as a POW, face the trials and torture as he did.

These reporters came with an agenda and probably a plan (and posted this video against Senate rules, did you read that part?)

Posted by: DonnyKerabatsos | September 21, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

John should have taken Holy Orders and become a monk. With all the lies that have spewed out of his mouth in the ;last 2 years, he isn't in any position to scold any one, except perhaps his puppy for peeing on the carpet.
John, your glory days are done and you did much to hustle them out the door.
You are beneath contempt.

Posted by: m_richert | September 21, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

amazd:

If Democrats are just out to get votes (which I don't believe they are) they are merely siding with the majority of American who consistently have favored repealing DADT in national nonpartisan polling.

You would be the one on the minority side of the issue.

Posted by: jcindy | September 21, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

McCain will eventually be known as the "Lester Maddox" of his day. Gays will eventually get their fair rights and Gays will serve openly in the U.S. Military, as they do in many of the militaries of the world. Sen. McCain will be, much like Maddox, remembered as the hateful bigot he is. As for now, I can't imagine that he can be so blind to what he is doing and how history will remember him. "The evil that men do live after them...the good is oft interred with their bones. So let it be with........McCain." I'm sure he has done much good for his state, but his part in this matter will be his legacy.

Posted by: heronhoe | September 21, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Where do these Republicans get off trying to run peoples' lives? This is conservativism?

Posted by: paulnolan97 | September 21, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

My father, bless his departed soul, used to say both the Republicans and the Democrats wanted you to be good. They just had a different idea of what good is!

Posted by: jibe | September 21, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

You may not be thrilled with the actions or philosophy of President Obama...but can we all agree that we would have been in deep, deep trouble if this hot-head had won the Presidency? Never mind the Alaskan Airhead as Veep, just imagine John McCain flying off the handle like this at reporters or other heads of state as President!

Posted by: WonderfulWorld | September 21, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Interesting to hear all these freaks disparage an American war hero.

Posted by: sportsfan2 | September 21, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I stand with the American war hero not the pampered whacked out liberals.

Posted by: cleancut77 | September 21, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

McCain is a worn out old weasel...........

An Independent

Posted by: aeaustin | September 21, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

larry9 wrote:
---------------------------------------
What a jackass comment this is. Senator McCain has served his country nobly for decades. We need more like him. Boo-hoo that you don't like his opinions, but don't disparage his service or his love for his country.

Posted by: Illini | September 21, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

He's lost it.

"I had a choice between lying and losing;
I chose lying."

- John McCain

Posted by: vigor | September 21, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Sportsfan2 - Oh, do you mean like the Republicans with their Swift Boat attacks did to a real war hero, John Kerry, with their actual TRUMPED UP LIES? John McCain was no war hero unless he's telling the story and furthermore, his asinine ramblings here prove he is unfit to serve in office. Praise the Lord he was not elected president of the United States!

Sarahabc - no one here may have gone through what he did - but hundreds of other GI's did without babbling like a brook. What he did caused more trouble for others who served with him.

Posted by: DawnDarner | September 21, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

But Illini, that's what he's doing to all of those who serve and love someone of the same sex. Please explain the difference. Love if blind. For God so loved the WORLD, not just all the straight people in it. McCain isn't without his sins, either. Should we get into the rules of the UCMJ...then, let's do it. Any person who's ever had sex any other way then missionary should be discharged, or oral sex. That would make McCain a not so honorable person, because he disobeyed the UCMJ. What's the difference?!? The rules are the rules, right????

Posted by: rachaelhairston | September 21, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Good for McCain. Gay activists are trying to create the impression that homosexuals in the military are being hounded unmercifully. McCain is correct. The policy is working. Leave it in place.

The entire issue is so utterly stupid it's amazing that we are even wasting our time talking about it.

Posted by: theduke89 | September 21, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FormerDemocrat | September 21, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

So what that he spent seven years in a POW camp. So what!

John McCain is a bigot, pure and simple, and is unfit to serve in the Senate. The Don't Ask Don't Tell policy is unconstitutional and, by upholding this policy, MccCain has proven to be unAmerican, unpatriotic, and unworthy of any respect by any decent human being in this country. He is garbage.

Posted by: nyrunner101 | September 21, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I may disagree with McCain on his policies but have always respected him. In this case however, he is not only wrong, but this is his lowest point. It is disappointing that hs has not done an adaquite job on this issue. There are 13000 ex military who are gay that would be happy to give him the real story of the witch hunts in the military right now. He is a veteran and a war hero - all the more reason for him to stand by the patriotic vets who have been drummed out.

Posted by: cadam72 | September 21, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

What a petulant, childish, little, old man John McCain has become.

He does not deserve my respect, he has not earned my respect and he does not have my respect.

Posted by: dastubbs | September 21, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Senator McCain as a military man who served our country in time of war, has more knowledge in military matters than these LEFTIST reporters ever will.

McCain is interested in preserving our military, it's honorable traditions and fighting ability.

LEFTISTS not so much.

Posted by: chicago77 | September 21, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

McCain is a hypocrite. I am sorry I voted for this guy in 2008!!

Posted by: VoterfromIL | September 21, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

McCain is a hypocrite. I am sorry I voted for this guy in 2008!!

Posted by: VoterfromIL | September 21, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

McCain is right. These reporters were grossly misconstruing facts. The military never searched a person's e-mails in the Almy case. E-mails were given to the military by a third party, effectively outing Almy. The military wasn't actively snooping. Why is that so hard for these reporters to get?

Ultimately, whether the military is actively snooping or not is really tangential to whether or not gays ought to be allowed to serve openly in the military. These reporters were simply trying to skew a story in order to grind an axe.

Posted by: blert | September 21, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, nobody gets a lifetime pass just because you were in a prisoner of war camp. The only thing that entitles John McCain to is a few yards of Arlington. It doesn't make him a saint, it doesn't make him Superman, and it doesn't apparently keep him from acting like a petulant old man who isn't getting his way.

He's behaving very badly because he's in trouble politically. He has sold out every principle he ever espoused and now he's selling out the troops and sailors who he's been using for his own purposes for years.

Furthermore, if the Republicans re-take the Senate, guess who's up for Armed Services Chairman? Mr. Never-Was-A-Maverick, that's who.

Posted by: WonderfulWorld | September 21, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry mpmcandrews but McCain's reelection is not even close. He could phone this election home from a vacation and still win. Personally I don't care for McCain even being a fellow Republican. His temper is legendary and he's a tad addled. In AZ we joke about we just point McCain at Kyle and tell him to mimic Kyle and he will be fine.

Posted by: Desertdiva1 | September 21, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Bravo McCain, do not cave into those gay activists. The gays are trying to make it look like McCain is not sensitive to their cause, and they failed to listen to what he was saying. It is not the policy of the military to and seek out whether someone is homosexual. My guess is any person who was discharged for being homosexual was rather overt about it. The gays are just upset that Obama hasn't changed the law. Why aren't they meeting with Obama pressing him? It just shows that this was a political ploy by the gays to try and bring down the republicans.

The gays need to go after Obama and the Dept of Defense. Those are the people who can repeal the act!

Posted by: sanmateo1850 | September 21, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Funny how leftists loved McCain and called him a maverick whenever he appeared to be sticking his thumb in the eyes of conservatives.

By the way whatever is on a government computer belongs to the government so if you homosexuals decide to email your love notes from a government account and then foolishly store them on your PC you can expect to get busted. There are plenty of officers discharged for adultery too because of foolish love notes left on a government PC.

Posted by: screwjob21 | September 21, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

John, we have common ground here, because I've long since ceased to care what you think.

Posted by: angelos_peter | September 22, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Mccain is a foriner. he wasnt born in America.

Posted by: jimbobkalina | September 22, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

McCain served honorably and endured a lot as a POW. There can be no question about that.

But McCain has been out of the Navy for a long time and I doubt that he is as informed about both sides of DADT as we would like him to be. Colin Powell seems to be a bit more mature in that area.

Posted by: KHMJr | September 22, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Whenever anyone uses the word “GAY” to describe a homosexual, or the homosexual movement in general, they exhibit the fact that their minds have been programmed by the pro-homosexual culture to parrot an outright LIE. There is nothing on this earth less “GAY” than a homosexual. Homosexuals shake their angry fists in the face of God every day for “making” them outcasts in society. The truth is that homosexuals are the most miserable people on the planet. They are fighting a continuous inner battle against the voice of nature which never ceases to point out to them the truth, that their same-sex passions are perversions of the natural order. Why do you think they want the whole nation to march in their parade? They want to enlist us in their never-ending battle to prove that inner voice wrong. The adoption of the word “GAY” is a thoroughly unprincipled attempt to hide their faces from this inner agony. Whenever any non-homosexual uses the word "GAY" to describe a homosexual they are helping homosexuals hide from the truth concerning what they have become. If homosexuality was so great, they would simply call themselves homosexuals. I am a heterosexual, and I don’t have to adopt a cover-story to make myself feel good about that. I am at peace. My passions fit the sexual apparatus with which I was born. There is no inner battle. Not so with homosexuals. By contrast, every time a homosexual refers to himself, or herself, by the proper term, they literally shudder in shame at the truth of what they have become. And that is why they hide behind a lie. The word “GAY” is a total LIE. And every time ANYONE uses the word "GAY" to describe a homosexual, the word LIAR become more and more a part of their character and identity. That includes Senator McCain.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 22, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Yes, McCain was a POW, but so were hundreds of other men, and we have never heard McCain mention any of them. He has made his life off the American taxpayer and used his POW status in every way.
None of those other POWs have ever received the recognition that he has and none of them have used their status in such a self serving way. Many of these men were imprisoned far longer than McCain and underwent worse torture. Maybe the day will come that one of his sons might need the help of a gay soldier to save their own lives and what will John tell them, just say no thanks? McCain is a hypocrite who is way past his time in office. He is no longer relevant and no one in his own party has any respect for him, indeed they laugh at him. McCain is now the poster boy for term limits. fritz

Posted by: papafritz571 | September 22, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: papafritz571 | September 22, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

You need to approach this issue on the basis of principle.

Principle #1 - Homosexuals will not defend their own God-Given identity from attack. This is the essence of the homosexual character. They have surrendered to the enemy.

Principle #2 - The idea that you would want to put your life in the hands of homosexual, who will not even defend his own temple, is literally insane. You cannot depend on a homosexual to cover your back.

This idea that homosexuals can cover the backs of their straight compatriots is pure propaganda, and is just as much of a LIE as the word "GAY".

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 22, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

oh jezus john pleeze hang it up,take your medals home (i mean to one of your 9 or was it 11 homes) give a few of these homes to our disabled soldiers (gay and straight) the ones you are so concerned about or one of your homes to a homeless veteran johnboi that would give me a little more respect for you homophobic ahole.

Posted by: willemkraal | September 22, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget McCain was one of the Keating-5 and frauds of the S&L crisis as well. He is nothing but a crook and phony.

Posted by: gmro | September 22, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Senator McCain continues to do harm to gay and lesbian soldiers by condoning a homophobic law (Don't Ask, Don't Tell). He needs to be voted out of office. He is out of touch with the rest of country on these issues. It's time for equality in this great nation. It's time we all took a stand for freedom of expression. We should not be condoning homophobia. Our country should be standing up for equality.

Posted by: EqualityNow | September 22, 2010 2:06 AM | Report abuse

Almost every time I see the latest claim by the senior Senator from Arizona, I thank God that the country was saved from four years of a cranky scold. But reading one of the comments supporting him today, about homosexuals not being willing or able to save someone's back, reminds me that I should thank God more often.

Posted by: patr2 | September 22, 2010 2:07 AM | Report abuse

What most of these anti-gay folks don't realize or acknowledge is that the military already includes homosexuals. What it doesn't allow is integrity, their right to be full human beings in the service of our country.

Posted by: patr2 | September 22, 2010 2:11 AM | Report abuse

Says one commenter above:

“OUR COUNTRY SHOULD BE STANDING UP FOR EQUALITY.”

Our country should be standing up for truth first.

For example, what kind of force is it that drives one male to find pleasure in shoving his fist up the anus of another male? And will take pleasure in the smell of that fist once it is withdrawn? As far as I understand it, this is a universal practice of the homosexual community.

Any objective analysis of such a practice would have to conclude that this is a fairly deranged practice that could only be “inspired” upon human beings by the forces of absolute evil.

And if the forces of absolute evil have an inroad into the homosexual psyche in the central area of the individual's sexual identity, what part of their psyche will not be open to further manipulation by that force when opportunity arises?

The truth should be considered in this area. Especially when it comes to the integrity of the people within our national security apparatus.

Of course, people can do what they like in the privacy of their own bedrooms. But we need to take stock of the implications associated with such a universal behavior attribute when we are considering whether to give them positions of responsibility, respect, and prestige, in our culture and society.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 22, 2010 2:28 AM | Report abuse

As to the contention that I am a McCain supporter, I would say, that I have a keen memory of the days when McCain was the darling of the liberal left media, where he would make alliances with the likes of Teddy Kennedy, and Russ Fiengold, and take every opportunity to poke his finger in the eye of the conservative base of the Republican Party.

From a conservative perspective, I believed that the election of McCain would be a disaster for the Republican Party. And moreover, that a McCain Presidency would be far worse than an Obama Presidency. And I still believe so, even though I knew I wouldn’t agree with anything that Obama would do as President, and that has turned out to be the case.

In fact, it turns out that an Obama Presidency was the best thing that could have ever happened for the Republican Party. In unity, there is power.

However, in as much as Sarah Palin is political creature created by McCain, I could never support her for any office, other than the one from which she QUIT, that of Governor of Alaska.

To call her Governor Palin, is another example of the penchant that the American people have adopted for the telling of lies. She quit. She only served two-thirds of her term.

I would encourage her to go back to Alaska, and run for the office of Governor again, on bended knee, if the people will have her, and then finish out the term. Then she could rightfully be called Governor Palin. But I won't hold my breath.

If she runs for president, I will oppose her, as I opposed McCain, on the basis of principle. Anyone who would stand up and say to the American people, on many occasions, which she did during the 2008 campaign, that McCain was a true conservative, has a problem telling truth from falsehood. Or knowing the truth, would not shrink from using falsehoods if that’s what it takes to grab the golden ring of political power.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 22, 2010 3:39 AM | Report abuse

Homosexuality has become the club that liberals use to beat on the military with.

Liberals do hate America's military and liberals want to do as much damage to it as they can before they are kicked out of power by an enraged America.

Homosexualizing American military seems to be a Democrat priority way above the economy, jobs, and peace in the world.

This is a twisted and bizarre priority system these Obamacrats have.

Sick! It's no wonder they face electoral disaster in November.

Posted by: battleground51 | September 22, 2010 6:18 AM | Report abuse

McCain, like most others in Washington, likes to hide behind labels like "policy" and pretend that it's absolutely binding. Torture was not our policy either, but it occurred and may be still occurring for all we know in some secret black prison somewhere. I served in the Marine Corps for 11 years and one day I was talking about the subject with my company gunnery sergeant - a Viet Nam veteran with a Purple Heart - and his reply was, "So long as they'll pull a trigger when the time comes, I've got no problem at all." And that's the definition of leadership and integrity, two things sadly lacking in Washington and certainly missing completely in John McCain.

(P.S. For you homophobic fundamentalists out there who probably never served a single day in service to our country, Mc means "son of", so I'm always sardonically amused when you rally around this weaseling Son of Cain.)

Posted by: Byrd3 | September 22, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

GoldenEagles:

Why are you so fascinated by homosexuals?

I can understand gay people following this issue and posting passionately.

But you? Why you? Methinks your fascination is a bit odd.

But I'll go ahead and take the bait.

Fisting.

Your claim that this is a universal gay practice is just stunningly stupid.

First, half of gay people are lesbians. I know plenty of lesbians. I seriously doubt ANY of them are into fisting.

And I know probably FAR more gay men than you ever will.

Fisting is pretty darn rare.

It probably happens at about the same rate that many bizarre sex acts happen with straight couples.

But your interest in the subject is duly noted.

Posted by: TheHillman | September 22, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

McCain is not the issue--he is yesterday's news. The question is whether gay men and women who are dying for our country have the right to be the people God made them in this country. Sex is a no-no on the battlefield--gay sex and straight sex. Away from the battlefield anything goes--it should be no different for gays and straights than for men and women.
Sam
--proud member of PFLAG

Posted by: samkaplan@hotmail.com | September 22, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

@FormerDemocrat: I was unaware that spending seven years in a labor camp entitles when to tell a pack of lies to defend one's failure to (a) stand up for civil rights and equality and (b) do so even though the majority of people in every section of society INCLUDING YOUR OWN PARTY want done. (Over 60% of Republicans want DADT gone.)

McCain, paraphrased: "I know the military very well, so it follows that everything they tell me is the truth, and everything always happens exactly the way I see it when I happen to be around, and therefore nothing anyone else can tell me can possibly be true. I am pigheaded and entrenched, and that's the way I like it, so the rest of you can shut up."

Posted by: hmessinger2 | September 22, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

John McCain is a poor excuse for a Military Man. Again he betrayed the men and women in uniform. This must be a habit for him.

Posted by: sumo1 | September 22, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

That Sen. McCain disappoints comes as no surprise. I did, however, enjoy the breadth of his response and the politesse he showed when engaging in give-and-take with his interviewers.

Here is a pure product of cradle-to-grave socialism unwilling to hear the questions of his interlocutors. I think that he owes the taxpayers more, much more, than this kind of enfeebled, geriatric rant.

Posted by: mini2 | September 22, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

mccain is suffering from old age. he has a typical macho navy pilot exterior, but can't communicate his interior for fear of losing even more of the testosterone he has already lost over the years.

mccain never knew right from wrong. he was taught "right" means never getting caught for doing "wrong". as as sentaor, mccain should know that there are roughly the same percentage of homosexuals in the u.s. as black people.

mccain fears standing up for what is truly right, may impact his own manhood, so he would rather lie than tell the truth.

john, you are not in hanoi anymore; it's ok to tell the truth and do the right thing. this is about other americans' pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness -- not yours.

Posted by: FranknErnest | September 22, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

"Golden Eagles" is GAY.

Just kidding, but what an asinine bigoted screed.

I'm calling on all real Christians -- you know, love thy neighbor, heal the sick, feed the hungry, clothe the poor -- REAL Christians, please reject the old conservative Christian ideology that has so obviously damaged this country in so many ways. There is no room for the outright bigotry shown repeatedly by so-called Christian conservatives.

To make matters far far worse, their economic policies have killed 8 million jobs, doubled the debt, and left us behind in so many modern industries. Now they want to continue adding $750 Billion to the deficit by giving another massive bonus tax cut to millionaires and billionaires? What on Earth is Christian about that? Nothing. And it makes NO SENSE economically since the rich just park their millions in off-shore accounts. Create jobs? Yeah right. Create more wealth for the few of them, like they really need it. NO. WE THE PEOPLE NEED IT. The 300 Million of us still struggling because Bush and the GOP rubber stamp congress gave the country away

VOTE FOR YOUR LOCAL DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES IN NOVEMBER TO GET OUR COUNTRY BACK ON TRACK!

And btw, the health care bill was an awesome bill. Don't believe the negative spin. NO health care "takeover", that's a lie. NO death panels, another lie. NO cuts to medicare benefits, NONE, that's yet another lie. There are several awesome provisions which help regular Americans that take effect THIS WEEK! No more pre-existing conditions for children! Young adults up to 26 years old can stay on their parents' plans until they get a job with their own benefits! Much more! These are no-brainers, folks, guaranteed to help common sense Americans who just want to make ends meet and have steady access to quality health care! COMMON SENSE REFORMS! Check out www.healthcare.gov to see how you can benefit.

See you in November! Get out the vote for your local Democratic candidates and we will continue to grow jobs, grow the economy and get back on track!

Posted by: Ethan2010 | September 22, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Of all the things this crusty old self-serving hypocrite has done in the last two years as he steadily deteriorated, his most lasting damage will be that he created Sarah Palin.

Posted by: PeterIII | September 22, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

All these old, senile guys in congress need to go. That being said, the average American doesn't care about this issue and is content to allow the military to deal with abnormal people in the ranks as best suits the mission.

Posted by: illogicbuster | September 22, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

The Senator has a problem with his own Ninth Commandment.

People swoon to the courage of the cops and robbers characters on the TV series NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Service). The fact is NCIS spends most of its time on gay witch hunts. But that wouldn't make good TV, would it?

Posted by: areyousaying | September 22, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

FormerDemocrat

^^^^^ does not give him the right to Piss on the Military men & women that serve now? He is just trying to save his hide on for votes. Damn same.

Posted by: Longbowan | September 22, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Homophobic teabaggers commenting here are more proof Rove, Limbaugh and Fox News have turned America into a hateful, intolerant Glenn Beck Christian hell hole.

Posted by: areyousaying | September 22, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Screw you Obama and Reid! This vote should never have been put off until a week before adjournment. As usual the miserable SOB democrats rely on the gay lesbian votes to get elected then immediately throw us under the bus once they get in to office. This pathetic hateful display will not go unpunished. It has sealed the fate of the democratic majorities in both the house and the senate. Good riddence reid, you miserable POS.

Posted by: dem4life1 | September 22, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I honestly think McCain is exhibiting signs of dementia. When I heard him addressing Congress on radio yesterday I had definite feelings of deja vu having members of my own family who were afflicted with dementia taking on that high pitched, desperate tone in their voice.

Posted by: jaxas70 | September 22, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

de4life1 wrote: "As usual the miserable SOB democrats rely on the gay lesbian votes to get elected then immediately throw us under the bus once they get in to office."
-----------------------------------------

Obama was VERY clear on the campaign trail. He told you guys he OPPOSED gay marriage. Why did you think he cares about you? It makes no sense to be upset with him now when he stated his opposition to expanding your "rights" before you voted for him.

Posted by: illogicbuster | September 22, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

If service to your fellow Americans is truly the ultimate goal, consider the fire fighting, law enforcement, social services and teaching fields. Better pay, advancement and they want and need you no matter sexual orientation. Stop wasting time here and work on an important issue like marriage/civil unions which should... be within your rights. Military service is not a right.

Posted by: Captain_America | September 22, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

This video is no shock. John McCain has LIED endlessly for years and totally changed his position on most major issues depending on what will get him re-elected. Immigration, DADT, etc. He says one thing one day, another the next and gets FURIOUS when any member of the media dare point to it or that he is saying something incorrect. Why the media has not torn him to shreds by now escapes me. He is HORRID and has been for a long time. They seem to give him a pass on most issues.

Posted by: RyanHealey | September 22, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"The word “GAY” is a total LIE. And every time ANYONE uses the word "GAY" to describe a homosexual, the word LIAR become more and more a part of their character and identity."

I use the word dinosaur to describe people like you. Fast on their way to extinction.

By the way, nice to see they let you out of your hole for an hour of computer time.

Anyone posting a link to Google "fisting" has some serious issues going on. I agree with the poster who said you just seem a little too curious.......

Hint to GoldenEagles: Straight couples do lots of wacky things in bed too. Consenting adults really shouldn't have to satisfy your version of morality.

Those brave military hetero conservatives: Tough on terrorists, but please don't let the gay guy bunk near me........pathetic.

Posted by: steve-2304 | September 22, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

All of these comments about McCain are ones that reflect the writers view but we should remember they are not putting their lives on the line everyday like our servicemen are and should be concerned about how they feel about this matter.
These people do not face death daily and are not the ones who should decide whether the military lets perverts serve or not.

Posted by: jerry110 | September 22, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

One poster actually used the words McCain and "true convictions" in the same sentence.

McCain will do/say/be anything the polls tell him to. I live in Arizona and we see this every day. The man has NO convictions, just a good publicist and a gift for spin.

Posted by: MarcMyWords | September 22, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MarcMyWords | September 22, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

It's fairly simple, McCain's statement about the DADT policy is incorrect, and his rant was therefore indefensible, all the more so because of the claims of infallibility on his part. If you are going to claim to know everything about a subject, you had better be right.

Posted by: JoeT1 | September 22, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

McCain is a dinosuar. If he thinks none of his former shipmates, or fellow POW's were gay, he's in denial. It's time for America to grow-up and join the 21st century.

Posted by: jckdoors | September 22, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

“WHY ARE YOU SO FASCINATED BY HOMOSEXUALS?”

My interest in homosexuality is sort of like an interest in watching the wildfires in California burn the landscape to cinders. During the fire season, this is a very compelling past time. The closer the fire gets to your own neighborhood, of course, the more interested you become.

Now, more specifically, and switching my rhetorical weight to another metaphor, I am certainly interested in the huge mudslide of moral depravity that is engulfing our nation, the front surface of which is this increasing blindness to the destructive nature of homosexuality upon the individual, and upon the nation.

This mudslide of moral depravity is more dangerous to the nation than any California wildfire.

Now, I SEE the process of moral destruction happening before my eyes. Because it is obvious that most people have fallen asleep on this subject, I thought it would be a good idea to speak up, BEFORE the national soul becomes totally overrun and suffocated by this black gooey mass of moral insanity being pushed into every neighborhood and home by the homosexual movement.

REMEMBER - When a person utters the word “homophobia” or “homophobic” to characterize those who oppose the onward march of this mudslide of moral depravity, that person is uttering a LIE. Think this through, beginning with what constitutes the truth. To oppose the onward march of this mudslide of moral depravity is the height of WISDOM. To characterize WISDOM as a phobia, is to tell a LIE about the true nature and character of WISDOM.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 22, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Maybe as John says, it's not their written "policy" to seek out gays. It's their unwritten policies that we should pay attention to. McCain is getting more out of touch with reality every day. The armed services has changed since Vietnam but he hasn't.

Posted by: lddoyle2002 | September 22, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Simple really Mc Cain said it and he is wrong. It matters not that he served nor how valiantly. It matters not that he has sons in the military. Look at Lindsey sitting there silent...as a JAG he knows better.

Posted by: ambrozr | September 22, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

A Brief Analysis of Homosexual Dysfunctionality - Part 1

God decides, based on the best interests of the soul, based on the gender identity of the soul, what type of physical body the soul will be assigned to in a given life.

This is a reasonable principle from which to extrapolate the larger outlines of truth in this area. God decides what soul goes into what body. That decision is based on infinite wisdom, infinite love, for the unfoldment of the highest divine purpose in the life of that soul.

When God assigns a soul to a male body, the soul is intended to play the role of the MALE.

Again, the Desire of God, and the Will of God, for a particular soul to play the role of the male, is an expression of infinite wisdom, and infinite love.

A soul assigned to a male body, is not intended to receive into any bodily orifice, the phallic organ of another male.

To receive into a bodily orifice, the phallic organ of a male, that is a function associated with the female body, not the male body.

A soul assigned to a male body is not intended to exercise this female function.

A soul assigned to a male body, when exercising this female function, in the receiving of the phallic organ of another male into a bodily orifice, is in a state of rebellion against the desire of God, and the Will of God for that soul, and for the partner as well.

What does this mean?

It means that that part of the soul psychology that is intended to naturally adhere to the Will of God in terms of assigned gender roles, has become dysfunctional.

This is dysfunction at a very fundamental level.

The presence of such a substantial level of dysfunctionality at such a fundamental level of the soul identity, speaks to the high probability that this spirit of dysfunctionality will color, impact, and influence surrounding areas of the soul psychology.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 22, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

A Brief Analysis of Homosexual Dysfunctionality - Part 2

Again, the presence of such a substantial level of dysfunctionality at such a fundamental level of the soul identity, speaks to the high probability that this spirit of dysfunctionality will color, impact, and influence surrounding areas of the soul psychology.

One area of the soul psychology that appears to be substantially influenced by this spirit of dysfunctionality, is that part of the soul psychology that is used to differentiate between truth and error.

We see that homosexuals express severe levels of dysfunctionality in this area of truth/error differentiation. We see this on a nearly universal basis across the entire homosexual population, from one degree to another.

For example, we see evidence of dysfunctionality in this area of truth/error differentiation, whenever we hear a homosexual use the word “gay” to describe the homosexual lifestyle. As noted above, there is nothing “gay” about the homosexual lifestyle. In truth, homosexuals are the most miserable people on the planet. Just keep the image of “fisting” before your mind’s eye when you think of the word “gay”. If you do this, you will easily understand how deep of a fraud is being perpetrated upon the American mind, by the use of the word “gay” in relationship to the homosexual lifestyle.

We also see evidence of dysfunctionality in this area of truth/error differentiation, whenever we hear a homosexual describe those who are aware of the moral depravity that is represented by the homosexual lifestyle, as “homophobic.” To characterize WISDOM as a “phobia” is to tell an outright LIE concerning the nature of wisdom itself.

We also see evidence of dysfunctionality in this area of truth/error differentiation, whenever we see homosexuals wrapping themselves in brightly colored rainbow flags. A rainbow is a symbol of the awesome perfection of the Divine Creation. On the other hand, the homosexual lifestyle is evidence of the presence of a high level of (human instigated) dysfunctionality in that creation. To represent a state of fundamental dysfunctionality, as that of Divine Perfection, is to tell a LIE about the state of fundamental dysfunctionality which the homosexual lifestyle represents.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 22, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

A Brief Analysis of Homosexual Dysfunctionality - Part 3

We also see evidence of dysfunctionality in this area of truth/error differentiation, whenever we hear homosexuals equate their quest for “equal rights” to that of the African American Civil Rights movement. For homosexuals to wrap themselves in the honor and respect due to the traditional Civil Rights movement of African Americans, is to tell another BIG LIE, about the true nature of their own quest for “equality.”

The Civil Rights movement was based on this universal truth, that the color of one’s skin is no commentary at all on the content of an individual’s character. On the other hand, the very opposite is true when it comes to those who have entered into the homosexual lifestyle. Homosexual BEHAVIOR is, in fact, always a direct commentary on the content of the individual’s character, the deepest and most fundamental aspects thereof.

The avowed homosexual will not defend his God-Given identity from the forces that are tearing it down before his very eyes. The internal character of the avowed homosexual is very weak, and does not have the strength to hold the line of principle at this most fundamental level.

This weakness, in not being able to hold the line of principle, has a direct relationship to this area of dysfunctionality which we have discussed above, where the homosexual has difficulty telling the difference between truth and error. To tell the difference between truth and error, one must be able to hold the line of principle.

Any employer, including the U.S. Military, should understand, that if they have a homosexual in their employ, they have an individual with a known dysfunctionality in the area of the soul psychology that is used to differentiate between truth and error.

There are some job functions that do not require a high degree of strength in the area of differentiating truth from error. And a homosexual can be left in peace to do that job, if the employer desires.

But the military is replete with job definitions where this capacity to differentiate truth from error is very important. And we would begin with soldiers in the field, who are asked to differentiate between friend and foe on a moment’s notice, and this is the more complicated in any counter insurgency operation, where the enemy is always masking his identity.

Moreover, in situations where instant decisions are required to save the lives of one’s comrades, the homosexual will be chained down by the ever-present (internal) counselor of falsehood which will espouse the virtue of the saving of his own life before thinking of another.

Homosexuals have been serving in police departments and fire departments in many cities, for many years. I don’t believe there is one example wherein a homosexual was given a reward for courage and heroism beyond the call of duty.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 22, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

ambrozr, your analysis has obviously weighed on your mind. Too bad it is at odds with both scientific research on the human brain, continued analysis by the established phychological community and giologists who have studied more than 50 species of mammals and birds who have a homosexual population. As well, your analysis is certainly not in the bible so I wonder if a) you find other truths outside of this holy book of B) Question the relevance of homosexuality because it is virtually unmentioned in biblical code.

Posted by: cadam72 | September 22, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

GoldenEagles - You need to approach this issue on the basis of principle.

_________
What nonsense. Countless gays serves in WWI, II, Korea and vietnam, not the mention the 14,000 patriotic gay pilots, intel officers, gunners, etc who have been drummed out since DADT. They join to serve their country not to start some romance. They honor America through their service.

Last, Liberals do not hate the military, but we love the principles of equality that this country was founded on more. As should all of us. We are beholden to the vision of America, not the military, when the two are at odds.

Posted by: cadam72 | September 22, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

"Countless gays serves in WWI, II, Korea and vietnam ..."

This statement is a good example of the dysfunctionality inherent in the homosexual psychology in that crucial area of differentiating truth from error. The word “countless” is a synonym for the principle of “infinite”, meaning a number so large, you could never hope to count them all.

This assertion, that the number of homosexuals serving in WWI, II, Korea and vietnam is so great that you could never hope to count them all, is obviously false. And the writer did not recognize this as a big lie when it rolled off his lips.

First, the presence of homosexuals in the military forces in those years could not reasonably be expected to be above the percentage they represent in the population at large. And since we have an idea of what that percentage is, which I believe is about 1% or less (correct me if I am wrong), then we simply apply that percentage to the known number of soldiers serving in those wars. And thereby, we can come up with a fairly concrete number of the number of homosexuals that one might expect to be present in the military services. Doing the math, the number is far less than “countless”.

Second, during those years, the tolerance for homosexuals was about 1000 times less than it is today. So, their presence in the military forces would have been reduced substantially below the percentage at which they are represented in population at large. Factoring this into the math, we see that the number of homosexuals in the military services in those wars, would have been substantially less than the item one scenario. Rather than their presence being “countless” I think we are trending more accurately towards the term microscopic.

Third, military service is not really congruent with the homosexual sense of identity, and this would mean that only a small subset of the homosexual population at large would actually feel inspired to join the military. Therefore, their presence in the military during these wars would be far less than their percentage in the population at large. For example, if homosexuals represented 1% of the population at large, I would think, that because of they are military adverse psychology, which is opposed to defending what is important, that their percentage in the military would drop accordingly, to perhaps .01%. or less. Of course, this factor would be somewhat minimized by the fact that during these wars, a universal draft was in force. However, this would not alter the trend towards the microscopic significantly, as most homosexuals, being adverse to the military way of life, would've made their homosexuality known, and they would've been automatically disqualified from service, at the very front door.

In coming to a sense of just how many homosexuals were present in the military during those years, we see that the trend towards the microscopic is far more realistic than the number implied by the word “countless".

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 22, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

“your analysis .... is at odds with ... research on the human brain”

Scientists do not understand the human brain. Therefore, very little of their research can be applied to this subject area.

I will give you an example, and this deals with the simplest and most objective aspect of the brain function. Scientists do not have a clue how a seamless picture is impressed on the consciousness when a human being opens his or her eyes. For example, if you are taking a nap on the beach, and at one point you wake up, and you open your eyes, you will find that your consciousness is immediately filled with this seamless panoramic view of the ocean, with all the myriad details of the water moving and splashing within the very fabric of your awareness. How does that happen? How does that work? Scientists don’t have a clue.

If they do not have a clue regarding how our most basic sensory perceptions work, they will be about 1000 times more clueless when it comes to the issue of sexual identity.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 22, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

After reading all of these comments I am amazed at one person GoldenEagles. I was discharged under the old UMCJ in 1972 after 17 years of faithful service. People like you have no idea what it is like to be Gay in the military. You are forced to lie by not letting anyone know your Gay.
You state that God somehow made a mistake in creating homosexuals? How can that be? He had an idea what he was doing don't you think? You are not in the loop of God to know what he was thinking.
Yes the military does hunt for Gay troops all the time.
American is suppoose to be the land of the free not a select group.
So GE you need to get a life and get your facts straight (pardon the pun). I served with many Gay troops that will give their life to save their follow solider.
To all of you Americans I say look to the truth about equal rights. It is the right of every American.

Posted by: larry418 | September 22, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

“your analysis ... is at odds with ... continued analysis by the established phychological community and giologists who have studied more than 50 species of mammals and birds who have a homosexual population.”

The level of understanding that scientists bring to the subject of animal populations is no greater than the level of understanding they bring to the workings of the human brain.

I don’t believe that their analysis has gone any deeper than to simply observe what they consider to be homosexual behavior in some animal populations, and based on this observation, they characterize this behavior as “natural”. I suppose you could say that it is also “natural” that these “scientists” like to attend award banquets where homosexual activists pin badges of honor upon their chests.

I would point out that there is a lot that goes on inside of various animal populations that is not “natural”. For example, take these dolphins and whales who run themselves up on a beach and die. It’s like they appear to be committing suicide. And some theorize that various kinds of pollution, placed in the environment by mankind, lead to this behavior. That is as good a theory as any I’ve heard.

And I would propose to you that mental and emotional pollution, produced by mankind, is most likely the source of homosexual behavior in animal populations.

We know that there are mental and emotional links between humans and animals. You can ask any professional dog handler, or horse handler, and they will tell you so. What they have in their head and their heart, has an impact on the behavior of the animals they deal with on a professional basis. Tthis speaks to a domain of energy transmission, at the mental and emotional levels, for which scientists have yet to develop a sensing technology. But the day will come when that sensing technology will be developed, and when it does, I believe you will see this interesting feedback loop between the forcefields of energy produced by human beings, both mental and emotional, and the mental and emotional forcefields in which animal species live.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 22, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Did God Create a Homosexual? - Part 1

“You state that God somehow made a mistake in creating homosexuals? How can that be? He had an idea what he was doing don't you think?”

When we speak about God, we must begin with the premise that God is perfect, and that the character of God is composed of infinite love, and infinite goodness, and infinite wisdom. And that there would be no place in that domain of infinite love, and infinite goodness, to design a child, and a life context for that child, that would bring such agony to that child, as we see in the homosexual lifestyle.

For God to have created a homosexual, He would have had to break every law of love, and goodness, of which his whole heart is composed. And common sense tells us that this is impossible. Therefore, when we make the effort to reason from principle, we can always conclude with certainty, that God did not create a homosexual.

God created the soul, which was whole and perfect in every respect, and created a life framework that was meant to deliver an eternity of the most blessed gifts to that soul. This is true for every soul. It is true even for those souls who today find themselves enslaved to the homosexual lifestyle. God’s love for that soul has never diminished.

But there was a time when a large population of souls were drawn into a state of rebellion, from whence, the soul fell away from grace, fell away from contact with God, fell away from knowledge of God, into a domain of darkness.

From that point of rebellion forward, the soul began to make choices that were contrary to the Will of God. And the soul reaped the bitter fruit of these choices. And we see the bitter fruit of these choices displayed before us in the form of every pathology under which the human race groans today.

The homosexual condition, which is a condition of slavery to the forces of darkness, that is, to an alien force that holds and presses, by force, the face of the soul into the gutter of moral depravity, has its roots in this ancient rebellion. When the soul walked away from God, the soul walked away from the source of all divine protection, and thereby, walked into the very arms of slavery to the very forces which instigated the original rebellion.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 22, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Did God Create a Homosexual? - Part 2

Again, the homosexual condition, which is a condition of slavery to the forces of darkness, that is, to an alien force that holds and presses, by force, the face of the soul into the gutter of moral depravity, has its roots in this ancient rebellion. When the soul walked away from God, the soul walked away from the source of all divine protection, and thereby, walked into the very arms of slavery to the very forces which instigated the original rebellion.

And for many of them, they have been living in that state of slavery ever since. And that is a very long time. This goes back to the time before the physical universe and its various solar systems and home worlds were themselves created. The advent of the rebellion within the heaven worlds required the creation of this physical platform which would be used exclusively for the progressive redemption of these fallen souls.

This explains why many homosexuals declare that they were born that way, but conclude erroneously, that it was God’s Creative Hand that made them that way. While it is true for many of them that they were born that way, i.e. into the current incarnation, and perhaps into many previous incarnations, it is also true that God’s Creative Hand had nothing at all to do with tying the noose of homosexual agony around their necks. This they brought upon themselves in their past participation in the Rebellion against God, which, as a consequence of their loss of divine protection, they were made vulnerable to psychic enslavement, and they carry this condition of slavery with them, from one life time to the next, wherein, they are being given, by God, one opportunity after another, to make the right choices, that will finally result in their freedom from this condition of homosexual slavery.

As proof of his undiminishing love for these fallen souls, God gives the enslaved soul multiple opportunities to incarnate into the earth domain, multiple opportunities to make the freewill choices necessary for the achievement of their own soul freedom. Every soul that has fallen into slavery, God desires to set them free, and He wants them to come home in honor. But they have to make that choice for themselves.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 22, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Liberals pat themselves on the back for attempting to repeal DADT, but they also go out on a limb to support Islamic rights in America. Let it be known, no muslim soldier wants his grave to be marked [killed by a gay soldier] Can't have this one both ways.

Posted by: gardentalk50 | September 23, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@DonnyKerabatsos and the other people who seem to feel the urge to chime in without knowing what they are talking about: How is McCain wrong? McCain sat and listened to testimony of an Air Force officer who was drummed out of the military on the basis of private emails between himself and his partner. Mike Almy had served honorably for 12 years. His commander emphasized he was not being discharged for his service. I believe the DADT investigation was pursued during the surge in Iraq. To the ignorant people who commented that {Almy} "must have been overt" - again, you don't know what you are talking about. For McCain to sit and claim to reporters that gays and lesbians are not pursued for private conduct requires McCain to either be a liar or to be senile. Either way, his years as a POW excuse neither. Unfortunately, I agree with the people opining that McCain will be elected again anyway. Look at Jan Brewer and her popularity despite her kookiness. It is sad that McCain and the moderates who once stood for something are now pandering to the hard right. I have said this before: Gotta hand it to the gays! They are pushing for the right to die for a country that hates them.

Posted by: cybersleuth58 | September 23, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

You losers kill me: What happened to Saint McCain? Hell, McCain has ALWAYS been a bigoted Mississippi son of the confederacy. And YOU fools know it.

Posted by: project3 | September 24, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

McCain is a liar and a pathetic little man at this point desparately trrying to hold on to his senate seat. Very, very sad.

Posted by: JCequality | September 24, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Understanding John McCain - Part 1

How has it come to pass that a man with a heart characterized by deep sympathy for Democrat Party causes, which is tied by strong bonds of sympathy to other hearts characterized by deep sympathy for Democrat Party causes — bonds of sympathy expressed in substantial legislative alliances with the likes of Teddy Kennedy, Russ Feingold and John Kerry — finds himself in the position of needing the votes of Conservative Republicans for not only his political survival, but for the very realization of his highest political ambitions?

How has it come to pass that John McCain finds himself in this situation, where he must hide his liberal heart from the voters of Arizona, and moreover, become adept at denying its appearance whenever it inadvertently pops out of his shirt?

How has it come to pass that he finds himself in this situation, where he must wear an appropriately painted mask (which most recently took on the likeness of Sarah Palin) capable of attracting the votes of conservatives, at the very same that his heart beats with a strong rhythm of contempt for those very Conservatives?

You know people by the FRIENDS they keep. And when you look at John McCain's friends, you know his heart is as liberal and leftist as those friends. McCain and Senator John Kerry are good buddies. Together, McCain and Kerry successively conspired to insert an economic feeding tube into the dying body of the Vietnamese Communist Party, an act which strengthened the grip of a totalitarian regime over the people, and an act which boldly declared that indeed, every American who gave their lives in the Vietnam war, did so in vain. McCain and Kerry, two of the most notorious betrayers of the cause of Freedom. During the Kerry Presidential bid, Senator Kerry (former anti-war protestor) wanted McCain to be his vice presidential running mate. Would Kerry have floated this idea if he did not think that McCain would be a loyal supporter of Kerry’s Presidential policies? Kerry knew that McCain would be a loyal supporter of his policies. During the 2000 race, McCain wanted Warren Rudman (a notorious pro-abortion, and conservative-despising Republican) to be his Attorney General. And of course McCain joined forces with his other liberal buddy, Senator Russ Feingold, to trash the principle of free speech in this country. And then there was his love affair with Teddy Kennedy.

John McCain’s FRIENDS were all pro-abortionists, and homosexual advocates.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 27, 2010 2:05 AM | Report abuse

Understanding John McCain - Part 2

If McCain hailed from a state that had a liberal population, and assuming he could be elected, he would be able to follow his liberal leftist heart, which would be to vote alongside his liberal leftist buddies on every vote in the Senate.

But fate did not give McCain a home state with a liberal population. No. When he found his ambition of stepping into the admiral shoes of his father and grandfather dying on the vine, he switched to another ladder leading to greater power, and that was a new wife, and the new profession of politics. The new wife, and the opportunities associated with her wealthy family, brought his feet down upon the ground of Arizona, where the long term reign of conservative icon Senator Barry Goldwater illustrated the demographics of the state. This was not a liberal state.

But before we get into that, more needs to be said about McCain’s ambition to follow in the footsteps of his father, and grandfather, to become an admiral in the U.S. Navy.

Indeed, whenever we direct our attention in the direction of John McCain, the very first thing we must focus our attention on is the deeply entrenched psychological substrate associated with the navy tradition of his family. His grandfather was a highly respected admiral during WWII. And his own father was on the admiral track as well, and became a highly respected four-star admiral in charge of the entire Vietnam theater of operations for some period of time. From the very moment his father (who worked in the Office of the Chief of Navel Operations at the time) literally forced his first son (John McCain III) into the Naval Academy, John McCain carried those expectations on his shoulders.

Of course his Navy career was a disaster. He graduated fifth from the bottom of his Annapolis class, and his performance overall, throughout his entire career, never rose above that high point. This fact, of disaster in his navy career, and there were actual physical disasters in that career, beyond the disaster associated with mediocre performance, and the presence of these longstanding and potent expectations for success in that navy career, created a deep layer of shame in his psychology, which continued to drive him to achieve a position of respect and power in his life that was commensurate with the life examples of his father and grandfather.

The value of the promotions he did receive must be evaluated against the imposing ediface of his father’s and grandfather’s stature in the constellation of Naval Tradition and Excellence.

After returning from Vietnam, McCain never rose above the rank of captain, and was never given a sea command, because of the fact that he collaborated with the Communists while a prisoner in Vietnam.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 27, 2010 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Understanding John McCain - Part 3

McCain’s last duty assignment was most likely fashioned by the Navy Hierarchy itself for the purpose of giving McCain a little push out the door, though an honorable one in deference to the memory of his father and grandfather. The Navy assigned him to be the liaison between the U.S. Senate and the U.S. Navy.

By giving John McCain this Senate Liaison assignment, the Navy Hierarchy was saying to him two things. First, check out the political landscape in the U.S. Senate for yourself, and see for yourself that there is no hope of any John McCain admiral promotion being approved there, even if you could get the naval leadership, and the President, to recommend such a promotion.

McCain’s collaboration with the Communists stung the hearts of all true Conservatives, and they would block any such promotion. That would include all conservatives in the naval leadership, and all conservatives in the U.S. Senate.

(And their instincts in this regard were proven correct, when McCain, as a Senator, later joined forces with war protestor, and Hanoi sympathizer, Sen. John Kerry, to connect an economic feeding tube into the heart of the Vietnamese Communist Party, thereby enabling this totalitarian power to strengthen its grip over the Vietnamese people, both north and south, and thereby, utterly betraying the cause of freedom for which tens of thousands of Americans had given their lives.)

Second, while you are there John, look around, and you will see that here is another way up the ladder of power (and self-respect). You can’t get there in the Navy, but perhaps you can get there through politics. This was a gift to McCain in deference to the highly respected memory of his father and grandfather. You can’t ever amount to much in the U.S. Navy, John, but perhaps you can do better in politics.

Born of these circumstances, you see another layer of the McCain psychological substrate being formed, and it is a deep layer of hatred for conservatives. They blocked his path to promotion in the U.S. Navy, and he will never forget it.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 27, 2010 2:46 AM | Report abuse

Understanding John McCain - Part 4

At the time McCain’s navy leadership ambitions were being put to death by his superiors who had no intention of recommending him for any further promotions, McCain got the message, and charted his new course, into a new marriage, and in the direction of his new home in the midst of this wealthy Arizona family, and as I have noted, prepared himself to face the path to political power through a Republican wilderness.

And there is reason to believe that John McCain did not find the Arizona Republican Wilderness by chance.

Yes, McCain was looking for a new wife. He needed a trophy wife for his climb up the ladder of political power, and his current wife would not do, as she had been mangled beyond repair in car accident, But he also needed to choose a home state where his greatest strength would serve him the best. He needed a state to call home, where the people would simply drool all over his military service, and the fact that he was a POW. These two factors came together in Cindy Hensley from a wealthy family from Arizona.

And so, John McCain “fell in love” with this young girl from a wealthy family from Arizona.

He divorced his current wife, the one who was mangled in a car accident, and married into this wealthy family. McCain needed the ambiance of wealth that came with this trophy wife to help him climb up the giant mountain of political ambition that was towering before him. His first wife would only be a burden to him on this journey. On the other hand, his new wife would be like unto a ski resort chairlift that would help carry him up to the mountain top.

And yes, the generally conservative people of Arizona would literally fawn over the McCain’s Family’s devotion to military service.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 27, 2010 3:01 AM | Report abuse

Understanding John McCain - Part 5

We have early and publically expressed evidence of McCain’s distaste for conservatives and his innate and natural love affair with liberals, in this part of the story which deals with how John McCain happened to land in Arizona. We find this evidence in the midst of the wedding between himself, and his new and wealthy Arizona wife.

For the wedding, the two men McCain chose as his grooms, where both Senators, and they were both liberal. Senator Gary Hart (D) from Colorado, and Senator Bill Cohen (r) from Maine. Neither of these individuals had a conservative bone in their body.

And you will remember that Senator Gary Hart would later betray his wife, and that Senator Bill Cohen, who become President Bill Clinton’s defense secretary, would in that role betray his Party (and his country).

(All Republicans would do well in considering what lesson William Cohen's betrayal of Party and Country might be applied to the same situation that we see today in which once loyal Republican Robert Gates serves in the same post under an even more leftist and principle trashing President. What happens to the judgment faculties of the individual who sells his soul for a mess of pottage? And who is it that can dodge the immutable consequences in this regard?)

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 27, 2010 3:20 AM | Report abuse

Understanding John McCain - Part 6

And so, when McCain found his ambitions of promotion into the admiralty, that is, to walk the path to naval fame in the footsteps of his father and grandfather, dying on the vine, he switched to another ladder that might lead to a commensurate level of power, respect, and fame, perhaps even greater, and that was through the path into politics AND a second marriage.

McCain married into wealth, and took a cushy job from his new father-in-law in a lucrative beer distributorship in Arizona. He became an immediate corporate executive, with a big salary.

The political opportunities which began to sprout up before him were within a heavily Republican congressional district. His first task was to get elected into the U.S. House of Representatives. And this is where the real fraud began.

And it was a conscious fraud. In his heart he new he had nothing at all in common with the Republican conservative philosophy. His contempt for conservatives was red hot (for the reasons noted above) and this inability to feel kinship with conservative people, translated to an inability to feel kinship with conservative principles. But, he needed their vote. To get their vote, he would have to dedicate all the resources of his heart, his mind, and his soul, to this great political task that was before him now, to sound like, and look like, a Republican.

His whole future depended on how successful he could be in carrying through on this charade. And he needed a tremendous inner drive to succeed. And he had that drive.

Remember, the internal force that drives McCain up the ladder of power and respect, is the agonizing shame associated with his failure to live up to the expectations associated with his family navy tradition. In this quest to resolve this shame, and to garner a sense of good feeling about himself, he is driven to achieve a level of power and respect that was at least in the same league with the success of his father and grandfather. And that of course is why he had his eye on the presidency from the very onset.

He had this three step program in mind from the beginning. First step, election to the House. Second step, election to the Senate. Third step, election to the Presidency. When he arrives there, only then can he be at peace with his father and grandfather. Only then can he look DOWN on the them and say, see, I did better than you. That is John McCain's idea of peace.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 27, 2010 3:41 AM | Report abuse

Understanding John McCain - Part 7

If you think that McCain’s presidential ambitions are over, think again. He has tried twice, and you know the old saying, the third time is the charm. Every individual who has a driving and insatiable ambition will invest all of their hope in the truth of this nugget of popular wisdom. And McCain has that insatiable ambition, again, driven by the imperative to resolve the overwhelming shame of not being able to live up to and to occupy the golden throne of expectations set before him by the example of his father and grandfather. This more than anything else, defines who John McCain is.

While the friends he keeps, and the alliances he has made, speaks to the character of his heart (which has deep sympathy for every liberal cause) the fact remains that to climb that ladder of power within the political domain, and to do so within a heavily Republican congressional district, McCain had to make himself to appear to be a Conservative Republican.

It is ironic of course, that one of his greatest failures, in being shot down over Hanoi, and having broken the code of military conduct while a POW, which destroyed his promotion opportunities while in the navy, has served him well as this gigantic snowplow attached to the front end of this freight train of political ambition, sweeping away all opposition to his victory in every election to Arizona House and Senate seats that he has won.

Yes, always hiding behind this snow plow of his POW status, McCain has been able to make himself appear to be a Republican, and sufficiently conservative to be elected to the U.S. House, and that during the Reagan years, and to the U.S. Senate, taking the torch from the hand of none other than Barry Goldwater himself, in a manner of speaking. Though Goldwater was in the grave when McCain ascended to that throne.

In all truth, no one has built a larger monument to delusion, than has John McCain. This great edifice that glitters in the sunlight, engraven with these timeless words - “I was a POW. Let your heart bow down before me, as you would before any god of shining virtue, and know, that by all the laws of the universe, I deserve your vote.” Truly, in more ways than one, he has built his political career completely on this falsehood.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 27, 2010 3:47 AM | Report abuse

Understanding John McCain - Part 8

His first major test in this regard, in terms of using this (POW) snowplow to sweep away the opposition, was evident when he had to confront and overcome the label of “carpetbagger” in his first congressional race. He was being beaten over the head without mercy on this point, and he had to do something to turn it around. He put his head together with his staff advisors, and this is what they came up with:

“Listen, pal. I spent 22 years in the Navy. My father was in the Navy. My grandfather was in the Navy. We in the military service tend to move a lot. We have to live in all parts of the country, all parts of the world. I wish I could have had the luxury, like you, of growing up and living and spending my entire life in a nice place like the First District of Arizona, but I was doing other things. As a matter of fact, when I think about it now, the place I lived longest in my life was Hanoi.”

Victory was pulled out of the jaws of defeat by that statement. The assembled crowd stood on their feet with thunderous applause, not recognizing that they were launching a profound falsehood into higher orbit by so doing. Again, the falsehood is in the idea that this is supposed to qualify him to serve as the people’s representative in the Congress. Nothing could be further from the truth, as evidenced by the manner in which he has used his power, most notably to tighten the noose of totalitarian power around the necks of the Vietnamese people, and his efforts to roll back the First Amendment Freedoms of every American, not to mention keeping his foot in the door, so that more illegal aliens can squeeze through.

No one in the history of American politics has ever been known to be so successful, and at the same time so shameful, and unprincipled, in their exploitation of military service for political gain. Especially when that military service was characterized by failure. But McCain has a mountain to climb, as I have noted, and principles are the very last thing that he will let get in his way.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 27, 2010 3:54 AM | Report abuse

Understanding John McCain - Part 9

And so (and here I am going to finally get to my point) if you understand what drives John McCain, Liberals should not be too put off by his apparent betrayal on the DADT issue. His heart stills beats as one with every liberal cause. There is no doubt about that. But, for the time being, McCain must jump out in front of the conservative parade at this point, and lead the conservative cause to victory. There will be no chance at all for him to enter the 2012 race, if he does not do that now, and in a convincing manner.

While McCain takes care of business in the U.S. Senate, milking that venue for every opportunity to appear as a leader of the conservative cause, his conservative “double” (Sarah Palin) is out rallying the grassroots, for the inevitable run in 2012. Yes, Sarah Palin will run again in 2012, but again as McCain’s VP pick. And she will bring all of her supporters (they hope) into the McCain camp.

A McCain victory over Obama in 2012 would actually be a plus for many Liberal causes, not the least of which would be the advancement of the homosexual agenda. It is clear, that with the election of McCain, the Obama inspired unity within the Republican Party would collapse. Not only that. McCain would divide the Republican Party by advancing a legislative agenda that would finally be able to embody some of the high points of his own leftist-liberal sympathies.

Of course under a McCain administration, you would see Amnesty for Illegal Aliens sail through both houses of the Congress, where McCain would put together a coalition of centrist Republicans and nearly the whole of the Democrat Party.

And it would be that very coalition which would finally pave the way for the serving of homosexuals openly in the U.S. Military. Well, you know what they said about Nixon going to China. The same principle would work for McCain. His delusionary military credentials would be the shield behind which this destructive legislative agenda would finally succeed.

And so, that is the irony here. In this blog, we see the homosexual sympathizers grinding their teeth as McCain’s apparent betrayal, when the truth is, in his heart he supports their agenda, and if he makes it into the White House, he is probably the only person that could push that agenda through.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 27, 2010 4:01 AM | Report abuse

Understanding John McCain - Part 10

And I will give you an illustration of the veracity of this assertion that I have made, regarding McCain’s inner loyalty to the homosexual cause.

I was recently over at Wikipedia looking at the John McCain bio. And I noticed in one section where one of the editors had made this statement - “McCain led a successful filibuster of a measure that would allow repeal of the military's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy towards gays.”

I took exception to the use of the terms “gays” in this context, as this is not the term used in the law, the term “homosexual” is used exclusively there, and moreover, the term “gay” is employed by the homosexual lobby as a propaganda instrument to hide the true nature of their inner depravity and psychological agony, and in this regard, I believed it to be inappropriate that wikipedia should be used as a propaganda platform for the homosexual lobby (by the insertion of the word “gay” where the term “homosexual” should suffice.)

Because the John McCain bio was semi-protected, I could not make that edit change myself. I had to register for an account, and then make my case for the change on the John McCain talk page (associated with the article). I suggested (on the John McCain Talk page) that in this instance, that the term “gay” be changed simply to “homosexual,” to read “McCain led a successful filibuster of a measure that would allow repeal of the military's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy towards homosexuals.” And I gave my reasons.

Thus started an extensive effort on my part to persuade the “resident” editors that such a change was justified. (The resident editors are volunteers, as all editors are, who had adopted the John McCain bio as their own sick puppy to nurture and bring back to life). But they would have none of it. In fact, they were so disgusted with my idea, that they reported me to the administrators and thereupon succeeded in having me banned from wikipedia. (I am condensing the story here. All records remain on Wikipedia, as nothing is deleted over there, as a general rule.)

And the lesson I learned from this experience, was not only that wikipedia had become a propaganda arm, generally speaking of the homosexual lobby, where the truth about homosexuality is as welcome as the talk of democracy is in Tiananmen Square, but more importantly, that John McCain’s bio had attracted two (2) homosexual zealots to stand guard over the content thereof. Why would a John McCain bio attract the nurturing and guardian instincts of two homosexual zealots? They share a resonance of falsehood in their bones, that is one reason. So much so, that their sense of kinship could be at the level of soul mates. And when the opportunity arises, that feel he will save the day for them. And they are right in that feeling. He just needs to get into position to do so.

Posted by: GoldenEagles | September 27, 2010 4:06 AM | Report abuse