U.S. Postal Service issues holiday stamps

By Ed O'Keefe

New holiday stamps by the U.S. Postal Service

The U.S. Postal Service started issuing its 2010 holiday stamps this week, issuing four Forever stamps and a single stamp featuring a musical angel.

The four new Forever stamps feature ponderosa pine, eastern red cedar, blue spruce and balsam fir conifers.

The Angel With Lute represents peace on earth, the Postal Service said. It's an image from a fresco painted around the year 1480 by Italian Renaissance artist, Melozzo da Forli, USPS said.

Post offices are now selling the stamps in addition to Madonna and Child, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah and Eid stamps. They may also be purchased online at USPS.com.

Do you like the new stamps? Will you buy them? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below

By Ed O'Keefe  | October 22, 2010; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Postal Service
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How many people sent back Census forms?
Next: Postage rates may still go up

Comments

Posted by: charlie448 | October 22, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

The Postal Service should stop printing all
these various stamps and print only one
generic one and maybe that would help to
keep costs down. I'd rather have a generic
stamp than to pay two cents more for a
pinecone !

Posted by: sstevegay | October 22, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"No I will not buy them. They should have had Merry Christmas on them. The season has only one meaning and that is the birth of Christ.

Posted by: charlie448"

The postal service issues Madonna and Child stamps every year. Check this year's out here: http://perfectpostage.wordpress.com/2010/10/14/new-usps-holiday-stamp-for-2010/

"The Postal Service should stop printing all these various stamps and print only one
generic one and maybe that would help to keep costs down. I'd rather have a generic stamp than to pay two cents more for a pinecone !

Posted by: sstevegay"

Stamps bring tons of revenue to the Postal Service. When a collecter buys a sheet of 20 stamps for, say $8.80 (or more), and collects them, that's almost pure profit for the Postal Service.

Posted by: chrisny2 | October 22, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I love stamps and yes I will buy the tree stamps.

Posted by: lquarton | October 23, 2010 4:45 AM | Report abuse

chrisny2 makes a fantastic point. I buy multiple sheets of stamps I love and save them to give to my kids years from now. They will probaby never be used to mail a letter so the purchase is mostly profit for the USPS. If all stamps were generic, I would buy required postage and nothing more.

People crab about the price of postage, but really, 44 cents to get a letter from Key West, Florida to Barrow, Alaska or Honolulu, Hawaii is the best value ever!

Posted by: andreab2 | October 25, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

pine cone stamps are more for fall. the xmas stamps your missing is trees, lights, snow, snowman, children. toys, etc. how about some variety. print ones from previous years.

Posted by: linda1265 | October 26, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse