Posted at 11:48 AM ET, 11/17/2010

TSA administrator says his own pat-down was 'thorough'

By Ed O'Keefe

The head of the Transportation Security Administration has had "thorough" pat-downs in airport security lines and said Wednesday that airport security screeners are fully trained on how to use new body-scanning machines.

John S. Pistole
TSA Administrator John S. Pistole.

John S. Pistole said the new procedure "is clearly more invasive" than previous security checks. But he said he insisted on going through a pat-down before it was deployed nationwide. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and other top officials also received a pat-down before the procedure was rolled out, he said.

The new body-imaging machines are "the best available technology" for screening passengers at a time of increased threats to air travel, Pistole told members of the Senate Transportation and Commerce Committee.

"I am very sensitive to and concerned about people's privacy concerns, and I want to work through that as best we can," Pistole said. "The bottom line is we need to provide for the best possible security."

At the Senate hearing, Pistole faced a second day of questions and criticism from lawmakers amid heightened criticism and scrutiny of TSA's advanced security screening procedures. Passengers selected at random at 68 airports using new body-imaging machines go through the scanners and are offered an "enhanced pat-down" as an alternative. Enraged fliers are urging holiday travelers to "opt out" of the enhanced procedures during next week's Thanksgiving travel period.

Though no senator endorsed the "opt out" efforts, some recounted recent experiences in airport security lines. Sen. George LeMieux (R-Fla.) said he has witnessed several aggressive pat-downs, adding, "I wouldn't want my wife to be touched in the way these people are being touched."

The pat-downs have successfully detected dozens of "artfully concealed objects," Pistole said. "For me, it comes down to that balance, and the fact that everybody wants to be secure on that flight, knowing that everyone has been screened."

Airport screeners -- known as transportation security officers (TSOs) -- are fully trained on how to use the new machines and enhanced pat-downs, Pistole said.

"I expect them to act professionally at all times and to treat all passengers with dignity and respect," he said. "Similarly, I ask all passengers to remember that our officers are going to keep you safe, and they need your cooperation to do so. Security is a shared responsibility. During the holiday travel season, we need at all times the cooperation between TSA and the traveling public."

Despite Pistole's assurances, an inspector general report released Tuesday found that training for airport security screeners needs improvement. The report recommended better documentation of the training program and said the agency should use equipment in training classrooms that is similar to that used at checkpoints.

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) supported the new screening methods, suggesting that people with hip or knee replacements will appreciate the changes.

"I have had my love pats every single flight I have taken, which is at least twice a week, for the last four years of my life, because I have a knee replacement," McCaskill said. "I am wildly excited about the notion that I can walk through a machine instead of getting my dose of love pats."

Pistole also dismissed concerns about TSA's investigation of software engineer John Tyner, who garnered wide attention for filming his experiences in a San Diego Airport security line.

"I don't want to prejudge anything other than to say I don't expect anything to come of that," Pistole said.

Leave your thoughts in the comments section below

RELATED: TSA agent punched in chest by passenger

RELATED: Training for transportation screeners needs improvement, study says

RELATED LIVE CHAT: New TSA regulations: Pat-downs and screenings at airports

By Ed O'Keefe  | November 17, 2010; 11:48 AM ET
Categories:  Agencies and Departments, Congress
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kucinich challenges Towns for top Gov. Reform panel slot
Next: TSA agent punched in chest by passenger

Comments

TSA says they have found "artfully concealed objects." What are these objects? Probably just cash and drugs and things totally unrelated to protecting american security.

Posted by: sambklyn11 | November 17, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

If they find a few ounces of cocaine by anally probing a million travelers, isn't it worth it?

Posted by: getjiggly1 | November 17, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The TSA is OUT OF CONTROL!!!! These searches are not only offensive, but illegal and unconstitutional. There are nothing but bullies and corrupt fools working for TSA - many are thieves as well, taking credit cards, money, airline tickets, personal items, et al from passengers they screen. Our system is broken. Washington DC is totally deaf and dumb as they REFUSE TO HEED THE WISHES OF THE VOTERS.

Posted by: magsthecat1 | November 17, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile the back door (freight) is wide open. Isn't it funny that these new procdures were implemented following the recent freight scare. Deflection folks, nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Posted by: 113mricard | November 17, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I am a frequent flyer (several million miles over sixteen years) and I am concerned about the number of times I go the machine. Like the pilot's union, I question the machine's impact on our health. My boyfriend, however, loves it because he has artificial hips. He flies nearly as often as I. For a while there my home airport was going crazy and using the machine way too much but it's become more random. I don't mind doing my part but I think we've concluded (after several thousand screenings) that my genitals are not a threat to national security.

Posted by: alabsh | November 17, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey, post, we're not talking about love-taps on bib-sis from her lesbian partners! ARE WE?

Posted by: truspeek | November 17, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I am sure that Claire "Gollum" McCaskill goes through the line numerous times to get her "love pats". Thank you sir, give me another.

I am just concerned where this will go when a terrorist tries to hide a bomb in his p**p chute.

The next logical step for the TSA would be to give colonoscopy exams for every passenger.

Posted by: theidel | November 17, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

It is unfortunate that security zealots apparently cannot spell Liberty or Rights. Perhaps Mr. Pistole and his boss, Ms. Napolitano should re-look at the balance between terror of terrorism versus the individual right of the American Citizens to privacy, and liberty.

Posted by: jdroubay1 | November 17, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

They won't be finding anything that is truly internal. Neither the machines nor the molesters can detect swallowed slowly dissolving packets containing chemicals that when combined will produce a powerful explosion that will bring down an aircraft. The geniuses at TSA are merely adding a few hours of additional advance preparation to anyone who is determined to bring down an aircraft.

Our liberties are therefore being sacrificed for NOTHING - not even the security that as a substitute for liberty was condemned by Ben Franklin.

Posted by: bloggersvilleusa | November 17, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

As one of the millions of folks with a knee replacement, I welcome the new scanners. Then I will be able to move through security much more easily.

I too have had more than my share of security pat downs, because of my knee, and the new procedures are far more invasive than the procedures even a couple of weeks ago. On a trip this week from Atlanta, every part of my body was touched more than once. The new procedures include checking down your waist band and up your inner thighs from the back and the front.

I'd like the security folks to let us know which lines have the scanners (not all do), and I'll choose those every time versus this very invasive pat down.

Posted by: ruth_hughes | November 17, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

What was that high-speed rail thingy, again?

Posted by: raschumacher | November 17, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

That moron Napolitano should go shopping for some cool black uniforms for her TSA goons. They could use neat skull and crossbones insignia and have those little lightning bolt stripe patches. Himmler would be proud. Id they're going to act like the SS they should look the part. I hope you leftist drones are pleased with the hope and change.

Posted by: HJ46 | November 17, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I have to ask. If TSA is so certain that this invasive level of screening consisting of naked images or near sexual assault pat downs is really need then is it just to unsafe to fly?

Are the threats to commercial aviation that great that we really need this form of screening?

I suggest that everyone eliminate all commercial flying unless you just have to get somewhere. It seems your very life is at risk.

Either that or TSA is just doing things that are not needed.

Posted by: bonmel2000 | November 17, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I have to ask. If TSA is so certain that this invasive level of screening consisting of naked images or near sexual assault pat downs is really needed then is it just to unsafe to fly?

Either that or TSA is just doing things that are not needed.

Posted by: bonmel2000 | November 17, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

If our government was truly concerned about our safety, they would seal up our porous borders... but instead, they hassle average American travelers at the airport. It's all an illusion.

Posted by: clintatl | November 17, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I recall being in a LONG line a few weeks after 9/11, in Oakland. There was no TSA, and security was being provided by the National Guard: young, often good-looking youngsters carrying carbines that at times seemed as tall as they were. Reaching the metal detectors took almost two hours. A handsome guardsman told the beautiful young woman ahead of me that she'd have to be patted down, and that a female officer would be called forth for the task. As loudly as she could, the young woman responded "OH, no. After two hours in this line, if anyone's going to pat ME down, it's gonna be YOU." Gales of laughter and applause, and the most red-faced young man carrying a carbine that I've ever seen.

Get over yourselves. The passage of time hasn't eliminated the danger, or the need to rely on each other and to tolerate minor insult to minimize it. In almost all cases, the search makes no difference. But if it catches OR dissuades the attackers of "only" a single aircraft, I'm willing to suffer an occasional and minor loss of dignity to avoid condemning that planeload of passengers to death. And,"magsthecat," if you want a "vote" on the issue, I think those voting otherwise should be REQUIRED to fly, at least until the first one goes up (or down). Weekly.

Posted by: IndependentSince72 | November 17, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Let me ask you X-ray machine fans a question. Can those things see under the rolls of fat on the 300 or 400 pounders? The big fat people could hide bombs under there. So it would seem the Homeland Security Guards would have to have the fat people disrobe for a closer look under the fat rolls. I mean some dude hid a bomb under his wee-wee, right?

Posted by: mongolovesheriff | November 17, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

This is not an issue of personal freedom. If you fly, you are engaging in a public activity and the safety of many other people is at stake. They have rights, too--namely that the TSA has done everything possible to ensure that you do not threaten their safety.

Posted by: webercf | November 17, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

All men should stuff a sock in the front of their pants. That would really mess with the security personnel.

Posted by: blackforestcherry | November 17, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

It is NOT a "pat down". It is a rub down, and thorough groping.

I want Pistole and Napalatano to volunteer for 100 back to back backscatter scans, with 3 reporters and 4 congress members observing on the monitor.

If it is 100 percent "safe" as claimed, and not invasive of privacy, then let's see them get 100 scans each. Then with the same observers, have them do one scan, and all present get a public "pat down".

Then we shall see what they all think of it.

Next required step before you force this upon us - a backscatter in the halls of congress, with congress NOT exempt from a daily scan.

Prove to us thta this is safe and not invasive. Will you take the challenge? I didn't think so.

Posted by: ac7880 | November 17, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

It is NOT a "pat down". It is a rub down, and thorough groping.

I want Pistole and Napolitano to volunteer for 100 back to back backscatter scans, with 3 reporters and 4 congress members observing on the monitor.

Then we shall see what they all think of it.

Posted by: ac7880 | November 17, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blackforestcherry | November 17, 2010 1:32 PM

---

I have a related idea. Do the same thing, only with a fully defrosted hot dog planted on top of your "junk". When the molesters squish it into pieces, scream in agony. If you do this, please have someone video the look on the molester's face and put in on youtube.

Posted by: bloggersvilleusa | November 17, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Duncan Blasts TSA Pat-Downs, Body Scanners
November 17, 2010 11:01 AM

VIDEO

WASHINGTON – Congressman John J. Duncan, Jr. (R-Tenn.) blasted the Transportation Security Administration Wednesday during a speech on the floor of the House of Representatives for invasive “pat-downs” of U.S. citizens and the role lucrative government contracts played in the use of body scanning machines at airport checkpoints.

Duncan, former Chairman of the House Aviation Subcommittee and the current top Republican on the House Subcommittee on Highways and Transit, said: “Unfortunately, for the traveling public, big brother never makes a mistake, so I am not surprised they are trying to defend the purchase of these scanners.”

The text of Rep. Duncan’s speech is copied below:

Mr. Speaker:

A nationwide revolt is developing over the body scanners at the airports, and it should.

Hundreds of thousands of frequent fliers who fly each week are upset about getting these frequent doses of radiation.

Parents are upset about being forced to have their children radiated or being touched inappropriately by an unrelated adult.

There is already plenty of security at the airport, but now we are going to spend up to $300 million to install 1,000 scanners.

This is much more about money than it is about security.

The former Secretary of Homeland Security, Michael Chertoff, represents Rapiscan, the company which is selling these scanners to his former department.

Far too many federal contracts are sweetheart, insider deals.

Companies hire former high ranking federal officials, and then magically, those companies get hugely profitable federal contracts.

The American people should not have to choose between having full-body radiation or a very embarrassing, intrusive pat-down every time they fly, as if they were criminals.

We need a little more balance and common sense on this.

Posted by: bloggersvilleusa | November 17, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Love Pats? Is that what Democrats call forced unwanted sexual contact? Can I give them a "reminder notice" about my 4th Amendment rights? And by reminder notice I mean pistol whip them. Words have meaning and power and what is being done by TSA agents already has a word to define it. It is called molestation.

Perhaps if we used honest words to describe particular actions we could make some sort of headway. Unfortunately we have sacks of human excrement like Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) who seem to think everyone would enjoy her idea of love.

I have used clear honest words that accurately describe the thoughts and ideas I wish to convey. Loves pats are molestation and Sen. McCaskill is a lump of excrement. I did not intend to convey any other thoughts nor did I obfuscate the reality of what I think. If only our elected officials had enough respect for the American People to speak as honestly as I have.

Posted by: tacitk | November 17, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I prefer to keep my freedoms and truely win the war against terrorism than to succumb to fears. Our victories have been at the intelligence levels, interrupting terrorist plans. Treating American citizens as criminals is unacceptable! How did we manage to travel for the past ten years without these extremes? Is it time for a nationwide boycott on air travel? Perhaps a lawsuit, American citizens v. TSA? I'm afraid of what the TSA has become.

Posted by: valj1 | November 17, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Profiling is just so offensive.

So instead we will just make pictures of peoples naked bodies and then grope their breasts and genitials.

Yeah, brilliant.

Posted by: heathergreeneyes | November 17, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Pat-downs don't bother me a bit when traveling. What bothers me: crying babies, the obese, people with excessive carry-on items, stupid travelers, rude travelers, children in general, cramped seats, drunks, and loud Texans. Bring on the pat-downs!

Posted by: krisdascher | November 17, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Full body scans and invasive "pat downs" are potentially traumatic to past victims of sexual assault or other inappropriate conduct, and no parent wants his or her child subjected to this kind of touching. If they can justify these methods, why not require exploratory surgery as well?

Let's face it: It simply isn't possible to thwart every threat without high-dose X-rays or surgical procedures. Do we accept them as inevitable and essential to our security, or do we accept the fact that in a free country, it is impossible to thwart every threat? I vote for the latter.

Posted by: carlaclaws | November 17, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

There is a real possibility of violence when parents protest enhanced pat-downs of their children and grand children and husbands lash out against the pat-downs of their wives. The pat-downs clearly go beyond the limit of reasonable government behavior. In my own case, I will not fly on an airplane if I am required to have a groin area pat down. I will drive to everywhere that I need to go. What does the Tea Party think on this issue?

Posted by: nleggett | November 17, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

This security theater nonsense has got to stop. This seems more like a game to see how much Americans will put with before they finally revolt. Now they are resorting to X-rated photos of your privates and full-on groping to "protect" you.

None of the changes to airport security in the last 10 years has done anything but invade our privacy, increase our costs and violate our rights. The immediate response to any perceived threat is to offend passengers first and then never retreat when the cure becomes more poisonous than the alleged problem.

Napolitano is proving to be just as authoritarian as Bush, despite Obama's promises for "Change We can Believe In". Stop treating passengers like criminals!

Posted by: AxelDC | November 17, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Screaming in ecstasy would be even better, if you want to make a point.

One one hand, 5,000 dead, 50,000 wounded fighting this battle, and many times that in victims that couldn't be helped. None of whom were YOU. So quit crying, getting crotch-bombed in midflight is worse.

On the other hand, so we've made the crotch bomb partly obsolete. Something else will take its place. And while this may be fairer than random or selective scanning/groping, is it better?

Question: if there were designated flights with lighter screenings for ALL passengers (who would sign an indemnity for the additional risk), would you get on that flight instead?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | November 17, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

What bothers me: Immature people who have problems with crying babies, the obese, people with excessive carry-on items, stupid travelers, rude travelers, children in general, cramped seats, drunks, and loud Texans.

Get over yourself Yankee.

Posted by: jim999 | November 17, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey, whatever John and Janet are into. But just because they don't mind public humiliation and forced sexual harassment by strangers doesn't mean that everybody else in the country should be subjected to the same thing. The TSA and DHS need to be disbanded and all their thugs sent home to more appropriate employment, say bouncers at the local strip joint.

Posted by: danny70000 | November 17, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm done with flying. Now that there are now "internally" carried bombs ALREADY in use...the southpark-esque anal probes can't be far behind (no pun intended).

I'm about to punch the next person that says that it's fine to be irradiated or fondled/probed "to make us a little safer".

Posted by: gio_momma | November 17, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

That's right, Janet's had the experience at the hands of a fat, mustachioed TSA agent named Gladys. Janet says she enjoyed it very much.

Posted by: astralweeks | November 17, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

While all the focus is on privacy, as a frequent flier I am much more concerned about harmful radiation. Pilot's unions are saying the rays are dangerous. That is a serious claim, and a serious problem if true. Where are the studies showing that this technology is safe?

Posted by: doug7772 | November 17, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Almost afraid to ask what they found on Ms. Napolitano. I know the TSA worker threw up.

Posted by: azusa51 | November 17, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I knew it would take a few days before the real reason comes out why we are buying all these scanners:

Posted by: dianeremarx | November 17, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"Big Sis" needs to be b*tch slapped over her incompetent handling of the entire Department of Homeland Security and TSA, just ask the people in the department, they agree!

Posted by: Templeton62 | November 17, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

almost afraid to ask what they found on Napolitano I heard the TSA worker threwup.

Posted by: azusa51 | November 17, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Almost afraid to ask what they found on Napolitano I heard the TSA worker threwup.

Posted by: azusa51 | November 17, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

The love pat comment supports complaints of molestation. Many TSA staff will enjoy opportunity to take advantage of passengers.
Someone must ask TSA for risk of death vs. loss of freedom. Currently, the risk of death from a single x-ray scan equals the risk of death from terror. Instead of taking freedom from all U.S. citizens, TSA should focus on finding the bad guys before they get to the airports.
Why doesn't Israeli airlines have any terror incidents without taking away citizen's freedom?

Posted by: aominous2000 | November 17, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

This whole thing is BS. Get rid of the pat down. If you do not go through the x-ray machine then you do not get on the plane.
Simple isn't it?
That means everybody. No pun intended.
If the pilots do not like it they can find another job.
I think we should have x-rays everywhere.
Sporting events, malls,movie theaters and any place crowds gather.
Why not?
A terrorist can kill just as many people in a crowded movie theater, a tunnel, a church a mall as they can on a plane.
They can not use the plane as a weapon anymore because now we lock the cockpit door.

Posted by: nychap44 | November 17, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, like you think some bigwig is going to get the same rubdown as ordinary citizens!? Give me a break! I would bet my life that no congressman, no Napolitano, no Pistole is going to get their breasts squeezed, their pants pulled open and a hand slid inside, their testicles squeezed. If I ever fly again it will only be due to an emergency. AND I will wear a man's cup stuffed with socks, a bra stuffed with socks, 6 of the large feminine pads in my crotch and will NOT go through the xray/death machines. In the meantime, my routine 10 flights a year have been cancelled...no more visiting family or going to Disneyland for me until this travesty to our civil rights is stopped.

Posted by: arcticrose1 | November 17, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

So Michael Chertoff, who's company Rapiscan is making money off the body scanners, also has duel citizenship (US and Israel), which is funny because Israel isn't using the body scanners at their airports. This is like the global warming scam and they're using terroism to scare us into accepting these body scanners -- thanks to Obama.

Posted by: dianeremarx | November 17, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dianeremarx | November 17, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

How to prepare your child for his first body cavity search

Posted by: AxelDC | November 17, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Remember the good old Bush days when the libs and ACLU were tying themselves into pretzels about overseas phone call eavesdropping? Oh the humanity, oh the invasion of privacy. Where are those dorks now?

Posted by: getjiggly1 | November 17, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, don’t tell me you are surprised! Four days after the failed Christmas day crotch bomber last year, a company called Rapiscan got a $165 million contract for the new body image or “naked” scanners. According to the Washington Examiner, Rapiscan’s lobbyists include Susan Carr. She was a former senior legislative aide to Rep. David Price, (Democrat-North Carolina). Price was chairman of the Homeland Security Subcommittee. Now the Examiner also reveals that none other than George Soros just so happens to own 11,300 shares of stock in the company that owns Rapiscan.

As for the company’s other political connections, it also appears that none other than George Soros, the billionaire funder of the country’s liberal political infrastructure, owns 11,300 shares of OSI Systems Inc., the company that owns Rapiscan. Not surprisingly, OSI’s stock has appreciated considerably over the course of the year. Soros certainly is a savvy investor.

Posted by: dianeremarx | November 17, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

people with artificial knees (or hips, etc) carry medical cards showing your artificial part. when the metal detector goes off, a wand can clear you artificial knee. depending on the tso, they will wand your metal part to verify, and others do a pat down which is excessive.

you shouldn't speak for the millions with artificial joints without using some common sense.

Posted by: ntpierce9 | November 17, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

We need to abolish the TSA union altogether. These scanners aren't for our protection -- it's all a scam!

Posted by: dianeremarx | November 17, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"he insisted on going through a pat-down before it was deployed nationwide"

First - would you expect a subordinate to really squeeze the boss' jewels?

Second - how about the Pistole actually doing the strip search, himself, in front of TV camera's. Let's see how gay his smile would be doing that!

Posted by: z0rr0 | November 17, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

After reading some many of these comments, it's clear we are a country of whiners who don't understand anything about security.

Posted by: password11 | November 17, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

This is a manufactured issue. Surveys show the overwhelming majority of people support the screening. Radiation is equal to a couple of minutes in a plane. The media is just blowing up noise. I am willing to bet that other than the ACLU, the people complaining are the same people that blasted TSA and DHS for not preventing the X-mas underpants bomber.

Posted by: tidelandermdva | November 17, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Do you realize that George Soros and Michael Chertoff are invested in the Rapiscan, and that Rapiscan’s lobbyists include Susan Carr? She was a former senior legislative aide to Rep. David Price, (Democrat-North Carolina). Price was chairman of the Homeland Security Subcommittee. Chertoff also lobbied for Rapiscan.

This is a scam like global warming is a scam. They're using fear to get the American public to go along with it. You don't need body scanners -- just good intelligence and I guess there isn't any of that in Washington anymore.

Posted by: dianeremarx | November 17, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

The way to stop this bull is to call 911 when they touch a child. When all the TSA goons are on the child molestor watch list they will not be able to work for the government. Anyone who thinks they are safer for being sexually assaulted or irradiated is just a waste of breathable air. Did I mention Nappy wants to exempt Mooslim women? Think I will just wait for the Supremes to kick O and Nappy in the head before I go near an airport.

Posted by: termlimits | November 17, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

What price "security?" How much of a police state are we willing to tolerate? From now on, if we can take the train or drive, we will.

Posted by: FrontierWoman | November 17, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

It is reported that Pistole said: "The pat-downs have successfully detected dozens of 'artfully concealed objects'; however, it does not state whether these were detected on passengers, or in trial testing. He also states that he expects the pat-downers to "Act professionally at all times and to treat all passengers with dignity and respect". THESE ARE JUST GOOD-SOUNDING words! How do you treat an individual with dignity (man or woman), who is forced to submit to having a stranger's hands all over their body, when that act shreds all dignity from the person. How do you treat that person with respect and dignity when it is actually being taken away? Shouldn't there be an act to do away with civil liberties before these actions are taken.

There is no doubt that the actions are well meaning and designed with security in mind, but it does not change the nature of these actions. What sort of ratio exists between ordinary passengers and those who seek to commit terrorist acts? Why is "profiling" not tried first? If profiling works for Israel, other than "political correctness", why would it not work for America and other countries, or is it a question of Israel's exceptionalism in that field and America and other countries are incapable of achieving similar exceptionalism?

Posted by: CalP | November 17, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

They have got to look up our butts if they are really serious about this and not just getting their jollies by bullying and intimidating us.

Again, I volunteer to go on "Fox & Friends" to let the TSA look up my butt on live TV to show True Americans we must have this done to us to save us from the heathen Muslims.

Halliburton needs an immediate, $14 billion, sole-source, no-bid contract to install butt washers prior to inspection points and another $11 billion to develop Blackwater anal probes.

Posted by: areyousaying | November 17, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

This will not win the 'war on terrorism'.

Posted by: HillRat | November 17, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

A small well-placed vibrator should get their attention.

Posted by: blackforestcherry | November 17, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Where is a video of an actual pat down that takes place if someone opts for that instead of the scan. How much can someone do with the "back" of their hand down there, hee hee..

Posted by: SusanMarie2 | November 17, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

It's all for nothing anyway....we can "absorb" an attack.

Posted by: thinker16 | November 17, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Who would want to touch that hideous troll, Janet Incompentano. I'd rather frisk an armadillo

Posted by: waterboy1 | November 17, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

The citizens’ revolt over full-body scans and intrusive pat-downs is growing quickly. The American people understand the need for airport security, but they don’t understand why they should be subjected to these degrading and humiliating procedures that invade their privacy. Like all revolts, however, if it is to be successful at changing the U.S. government’s policies on airport security; it needs to put forth an alternative strategy that people can rally around. That alterative is “focus on the terrorist, not the bomb.” That’s what the Israelis do and that’s what the Brits did with the Irish Republican Army when it wanted to hijack and blow up their airplanes.

Focus on the terrorist, not the bomb means that TSA and private companies, at those airports where they still operate, must be able to use reasonable profiling techniques. Profiling doesn’t mean just subjecting Middle Eastern males to intrusive screening, it means using a variety of techniques and criteria for identifying terrorists. These proven techniques are well understood by law enforcement and intelligence agencies but we don’t use them the way we should for airport screening because of political correctness.

The time has come for Americans to decide if they are willing to give up their freedom and dignity for political correctness or if they are going to demand that their government use common sense and do what works. If we don’t stop this madness now, what’s the next step? Will TSA screeners take us into private rooms, tell us to take our clothes off, and probe our body cavities with rubber-gloved hands? Are we willing to continue down the slippery slope toward becoming a police state just to avoid law suits and confrontation with political correctness advocates? Does the U.S. Constitution protect us from warrantless searches and seizures, unless you buy an airline ticket? This is a question we should be anxious for the U.S. Supreme Court to decide.

Focus on the terrorist, not the bomb applies to passenger screening. It doesn’t apply to cargo screening where security procedures are woefully lacking. Most cargo that enters the U.S. in commercial passenger aircraft is not screened. Al-Qaeda has already shifted its focus away from suicide-bombers that attempt to board commercial aircraft to cargo bombs. We need to stop “fighting the last war” and begin fighting the current one efficiently and effectively.

What can you do? Write your Senator and Representative. Tell them you want Congress to act to force the TSA to stop what doesn’t work and do what does.

Posted by: edross | November 17, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Look to El Al if you want to learn how to effectively stop a terrorist from boarding a plane. This is the usual US govt version of a dog and pony show. It will do nothing but anger a large portion of the American people. The others will get a false sense of security not realizing it's very ineffective. I

We refuse to fly until this absurd TSA policy is withdrawn. The airlines and travel industries can take the financial hit I am sure. Until then I'll leave the groping for others.

Posted by: Desertdiva1 | November 17, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Claire McCaskill is an idiot.

Posted by: Itzajob | November 17, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Put on a T-shirt and speedo under your street clothes. When you arrive at the airport, strip down to them before you go through security. If everyone did this, the ugly spectacle alone would make the TSA come up with alternatives.

Their whole approach is simply to intimidate and is ineffective.

Posted by: areyousaying | November 17, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Clearly, the traveling public wants safety to be first and foremost in screening.

But really TSA is offensive touching really promoting security, or just plain offensive.

Posted by: chicago77 | November 17, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

The U.S. national security policies are messed up. Instead of fixating on the terrorist who want to blow jetliners out of the sky, the TSA implements intrusive, costly and ineffective measures on all U.S. citizens as a response and a stupid way to prevent terrorist’s bomb attacks on commercial flights.

National security of the Obama Democrat administration is more worried about offending Muslims than protection citizen’s rights against unreasonable searches. Do not punish the ones you are supposed to protect by costly ineffective measures and massive violations of privacy civil rights of U.S. citizens.

The alternative is stricter enforcement of no fly lists of suspected terrorists. Redirect all the money spent on TSA staff and airports screeners and develop automated non intrusive screeners at U.S. airports, comparable in effectiveness to drone aircraft that randomly screens the body of a person from a remove computer terminal. Adjust random selection to screen suspicious persons based on flight information origin, destination, and payment for tickets and other variables.

Make it tough on the radical Islam terrorists hijackers and perpetrations of terror mass killing by bombs and explosive devices. Do not make it hard on U.S. citizens by compromising their civil rights and liberties of U.S. citizenship. Profile the terrorist enemies and adjust profiles based on most recent intelligence information on terrorist plots and organizations of radical Islam.

Posted by: klausdmk | November 17, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Random is random.

Anyone who believes they are safer because of random pat downs is deluding themselves.

If it's truly for security EVERYONE would be "patted".

Posted by: rlj1 | November 17, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I can't help but be a bit incredulous that the same people who are complain about excessive government intrusion are willing to accept the government's agents viewing them naked and possibly feeling up their children.

Posted by: carlaclaws | November 17, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Come on people. Are we brave enough to be free?

Posted by: LHO39 | November 17, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Pat down Napolitano? Only if I could wear a Has-Mat suit.

Posted by: Satch2 | November 17, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

The invasive radiation and the lewd patdowns are unacceptable in a sane society.
Sexual harassment by any name, including security, is sexual harassment.
But there is a larger issue in all of this. Privacy.
Reading Wolfgang Sofsky's "Privacy: A Manifesto" makes me realize we live in a repressive society. A repressive society is as in Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union and the DDR before the Fall of the Wall in 1989.
The tyrants always justify their actions as saving the State. In this case travelers. No so.
But the dynamics of repression have been building since the RICO Act in the early 1970's. Now police departments confiscated cash and drugs and guns and vehicle on suspicion, not always with contraban involved.
Janet Reno resorted to gestapo tactics in ordering the masked gunmen of the government to seize Elian Gonzales from his family in Florida. Bill Clinton stood aside while this invasion snatched a 5 year old child and shisked him to Cuba.
So . . it is natural for John Pistole to claim his way is best. He knows. He has been though the machines. But what about our privacy?
That is the crux issue and no senator landed on the issue but treated the surface evidence.
The only hope we have is for a Republican majority in the House to deny funding to the TSA! Not kills the beast faster than starvation of funds. And block Obama's two-step to fund the intrustive agency with more stimulus money.

Posted by: Longdrycreek | November 17, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Of Course "John the Pistol" nad "Big Sis" enjoyed it. They're both toe tappers.

Posted by: HoriceSheet | November 17, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Janet From Another Planet Incompetano.

Posted by: kbarker302 | November 17, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Some people talk about the "enhanced" pat downs as if it is a way for TSA workers to get their jollies at passengers' expense. To think that the TSA, Homeland Security or anyone else in the government came up with these security measures just so they can feel you up is really very arrogant and ridiculous.
Has anyone considered how the TSA workers probably feel about having to view those body scans or perform the pat downs. There are plenty of people that I wouldn't want to see in a body scan or have to touch in any way, let alone to give them an "enhanced" pat down, especially while maintaining a professional demeanor at the same time.
Personally, I think the body scan, as detailed as they appear to be, is the better option because no one is touching me, my face doesn't show on the scan and I don't have to look the person viewing the scan in the eye and they don't have to look at the actual me. I think it would be amusing when someone is in the body scanner, if at the end before they move on, they strike a sexy pose or something. That would break the tension.
Seriously, we live in a world with people like the underwear bomber and we all insist that our government makes us safe, but we don't like what they do to try to make us safe. So many people seem to take these new security measures as personal insults, as if they are directed at them personally. The body scans and pat downs are a response to the resourcefulness of people who would do us harm. Of course, we could go back to the way it was before 9/11 and just hope that no one with the desire to make a statement and blow up an airplane or take out a building isn't on our flight.
If anyone has a better idea for screening everyone and making sure that no one is hiding explosives in their underwear, come forward and let us all know what it is.

Posted by: ilive2bfree | November 17, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for the 'full strip search'.

Hey why not? All you sheep want to be totally secure don't you? And no one will be offended, as everyone will be subject to it. Right?

Posted by: GarandFan | November 17, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

It's not the pat downs...its the moronic Barney Fife attitude/psychology of the average TSA nitwit on the "isolated" screen not being able to wait to tell his buddy about the gal with the major league yabbos on line 4 and the guy who really does get his jollies by touching my "junk"... Sorry, Mr. Pistole, but the average TSA guy/gal I've experienced over and over again is anything but professional with full disregard for dignity and respect---what in the world makes you think they'll do any better at this? They bark orders with every degree of disrespect imaginable...where they hell you been?

Posted by: demetz5050 | November 17, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

On the plus side, this is one issue that has brought tea partiers, libertarians, environmentalists, democrats, republicans, and everyone else together against a common enemy.

I was delighted to discover that Amtrak has great service between Sacramento CA and Washington DC. If I have to go East, I know how I am going to do it.

Posted by: felisrufus | November 17, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Ok, if I do this patdown on a kid at a playground, what do I get charged with? Sexual assault or molestation? Both?

Since we're doing this randomly; there's one simple question you need to ask. How many children would you let be sexually assaulted or molested so you can feel a tiny bit safer?

I'm not flying, my personal limit is 0; but where is your limit? 100? 1000? How many kids would you let be molested if it was in your personal best interests to allow it?

Posted by: gekkobear | November 17, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: felisrufus | November 17, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

All of you "sheep" that don't mind being padded down by someone you have no idea who they are or their police or criminal backgrounds, you are being duped into a false sense of security. If some blanket headed rat wants to bring down that plane you're going to share with him, you can bet he or someone back at the village in Yemen has allowed for the inconvenience to the mission, and it will still be completed.

Here's my response to this "airport security issue" the TSA needs to start checking all the Arabs and Muslims and people with that garb, and of that religious ilk if it can be determined. They are the ones needing complete pad downs, not some Nun in full habit, who has been a nun for 35 years, or some little girl that's screaming because she's afraid of that idiot putting their hands all over her body, this is disgraceful for American citizens making a domestic flight to have to be subjected to this ridiculous procedure.

Thirdly, Obama or someone with the guts, needs to get rid of Napolitano as TSA Chief, she wouldn't know security measures if they bit her in the ARSE!!!!! She and that whole inept, bumbling staff of hers needs to GONE!!! Obama needs to get a person in there that has years of experience in security at high levels, and who has a staff that knows how to execute those procedures in very professional way. Our enemies, the would be airplane bombers must be watching her pathetic tactics and laughing their butts off at this crap, we must look like Laurel teaching Hardy how to do Airport Security. My God, what a joke this no-nothing dunce has proven to be, if this were a Republican President, the stupid whiners in the Democratic Party would be screaming over this invastion of privacy, and where's the ACLU in all of this too?

During Thanksgiving, I hope there's no one traveling by air unless they absolutely have to, I hope this brings the airlines industry to it's knees, do you think we'll hear some complaining then? I should NOT have to prove my innocence of any explosive materials on a domestic flight for which I am already paying inflated, exorbitant prices, I hope this goes all the way to the Supreme Court. Do you dunces realize you are padding down military personnel with top security clearances, this isn't security, it's airport humor and the American Citizen is the dupe in the name of security, give me a break!!! This is fodder for SNL, I'm surprised they haven't picked up on it already. Stay home for the Holidays this year! I am.

Posted by: solodrums09 | November 17, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

If passengers could take over an aircraft and ram it into an American building, that would justify a threat to our national security. But now that the cockpits lock closed like a safes vault during a flight, there is no longer a risk that the plane can be taken over and used as a missile. In my opinion, there is no longer a reason that the federal government needs to be involved.

Worst case scenario is that the plane blows up mid flight from some crazy with a bomb. It would be a tragedy but it's also something that can happen with any mode of public transportation. Are we going to want TSA to screen everyone who gets into a bus, train or ship?

I think it's a little silly and over the top but I personally don't care if some employee sees me naked through the new screener. I do care if some employee is giving their "enhanced pat-down" or looking at nude images of my wife and little girl though. It's just too much. I also don't feel any safer with the TSA now in charge of airport security. I would feel fine going back to the same "pre 9/11" security (along with the added cockpit vault feature).

One more point I want to make is that before 9/11 it was the airlines that contracted out and paid for their security. Now that the government is involved, every tax payer has to flip the bill whether you fly every day or not at all. "For fiscal year 2008, the TSA had a budget of roughly $6.8 billion. Congress appropriated $4 billion and law mandated an additional $500 million, while fees brought in the remaining $2.3 billion."

Posted by: bniller123 | November 17, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

DA TO PROSECUTE PERPS

The DA in San Mateo California is planning to prosecute TSA perps who molest their victims at San Francisco Airport!

"The San Mateo district attorney's office has a warning for all TSA personnel at SFO -- anyone inappropriately touching a passenger during a security pat down will be prosecuted."

more at:

Posted by: bloggersvilleusa | November 17, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Are you preparing for or recovering from knee replacement surgery? Are you ready for knee rehab exercise? Check this exercise DVD for home use. Useful for pre or post-op fitness. Led by a pro trainer. http://tinyurl.com/yabu9b9

Posted by: jbinwc | November 17, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I LIKE this man, John Pistole-I like this man A LOT. He is absolutely what the TSA needs-has needed for an Administrator, for SUCH a long time!

Keep up the straight-forward talk, Admin. Pistole-we of the aviation security community hear you, and support you!

Posted by: Spring_Rain | November 17, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Spring_Rain
===========================================
What in the hell are you talking about? How does diverting huge amounts of resources to molesting passengers that anyone with one speck of common sense knows aren't going to be blowing up an airliner improve security at all. We are probably less safe because our clueless security will be too occupied groping 13 year old school girls and getting yelled at by pissed off passengers to notice a nervous and sweaty arab squezzing a pound of C4 between his butt cheeks as he strolls on by.

Posted by: peterg73 | November 18, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I'll opt for the fondling - grotesque as it is. If you are behind me in line, and a delay because of this causes you to miss your flight for a business meeting - tough. You need to quit being a simpering coward who thinks it's OK for TSA to grope my 13yr. old grandaughter. Grow a pair, and help stop this security theatre.

Posted by: 82ndairborne | November 18, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Janet Napolitano and the Pat Down Creeps

Why do I feel so uneasy when I watch Homeland Security Director Janet Napolitano trying to explain to us why it is necessary to repeatedly irradiate the airline pilots with her new total body scanners? And to pat down little old ladies with ileostomy bags adhered to their torsos. Is it because when I look at Napolitano, a lawyer who has never had a job outside the government, I just get the creeps.

Or is it because she doesn’t trust our veterans who, unlike her, have never placed her life on the line for our country. Or was it her puny excuses about the underwear bomber on Northwest Airlines Flight 253 into Detroit on the day after Christmas, 2009.

Maybe it’s just the image of Napolitano, with her short haircut, looking more like a pro football defensive tackle….looking more like a tackle rather than whatever she’s supposed to be. Anyway, she doesn’t trust the veterans who defended this country. And she doesn’t trust the airline pilots with whom we trust our lives each time we fly. But we are supposed to trust her and her strange acting sidekick, TSA Administrator, John Pistole. Something just doesn’t add up.

Bingo! I know what it is! It’s the ULDs! You know those aluminum half clam shells that are used to containerize luggage and air freight…Unit Loading Devices. You see, by 2002 Telair International had developed and the FAA had successfully tested HULDs. Hardened Unit Loading Devices made of Kevlar. The same material used to make bullet proof vests.

HULDs can contain incredible bomb blasts. And for the money that these creeps, and their predecessors, have spent on fluoroscopes, scanners, an entire army of poorly trained, often times rude, screeners…for all the tax dollars that these creeps have blown on these anti constitutional devices, why we could have equipped every airliner in the world with HULDs. And what with the airliner cockpit doors now being made of Kevlar as well, the equation is so different than it was on 9.11.01.

So who do we trust? The veterans who defended this country and the professionals who fly the airliners? Or the creeps who missed the boat on the HULDs and insist on irradiating the airline crews and patting down little old ladies with ileostomy sacs?

To learn more search: George Meredith MD Comments and search: 911: George Bush and the Saudis

George Meredith MD
Virginia Beach

Posted by: georgemeredithmd | November 19, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Janet Napolitano and the Pat Down Creeps

George Meredith MD
Virginia Beach

Posted by: georgemeredithmd | November 19, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

If you don't want the groping then go through the scanner, or take a high-speed train.

I wonder how many of you whiners would not be complaining if the President's name were "McCain"?

Posted by: raschumacher | November 24, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse