Posted at 4:22 PM ET, 12/26/2010

Federal government offices open Monday

By Ed O'Keefe

Federal government offices in the D.C. area are open Monday as snow continues falling across the region.

Federal employees should report on their normal work schedules, according to the Office of Personnel Management.

The government most recently allowed federal workers to leave early Dec. 16, when snow fell across the area and several school districts shut down.

Plan your Monday morning commute with the help of The Post's Dr. Gridlock and track changes in the weather forecast with The Post's Capital Weather Gang.

Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

Sign up for federal government closing e-mail alerts.

By Ed O'Keefe  | December 26, 2010; 4:22 PM ET
Categories:  Workplace Issues
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 2010 Year in Review: Top Federal Eye posts
Next: 10 things to watch across government in 2011

Comments

When I clicked on the link, the operating status page states that it was for Sunday, 12/26. No information regarding Monday (although I assume that the operating status will also be open, at least in DC).

Posted by: WashingtonDame | December 26, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Why wouldn't it be?

Posted by: Axel2 | December 26, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you, Axel12. It appears the Post is continuing its war on Federal employees by creating the illusion we all think a few snowflakes means a day off.

Posted by: ReindeerDippin | December 26, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

That's right Reindeer, the Post is obviously trashing Fed workers by posting a simple notice that the Govt. will not be affected by the snow. The workers would certainly be better served if the Post didn't report anything and let people wonder.

Posted by: benhere | December 26, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I know that I once totalled a car trying to get to work in a bad storm. Another time, I got stuck on the highway overnight. Most of us do what we have to do; Federal workers should do no less.

Posted by: Itzajob | December 26, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Yeah that was great - most Fed employees, at least in the agency I work with (as a contractor) took Government closed as a signal of "can't work". Federal workers also get untold numbers of "59 minute early releases" before major holidays.

Posted by: Shochan777 | December 26, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

NO federal workers don't expect a day off because of a few snowflakes. Frankly, I am tired of federal workers being trashed like it's all of a sudden fair game on federal workers likewe sit all day in our offices having a freakin kaffe-klutch or something. I hit my office door the phone is already ringing non-stop.We have missions for the American people everyday. What I do for the taxpayer amountsto several hundred times my salary and benefits, as a savings for the taxpayer. I take my job seriously and am grateful for having a job when so many others do not. Sowe don't make the dang decisionsto call off a workday, OPM does andwe do whatwe are instructedto do. Either you can getto work safely or not. You take leave (which is not a dang paid holiday it is chargedto your leave balance) or you telecommute (which I do and planto have work with me in the event I cannot get into the actual office) or you jump on the train, the metro, or get in your car and show up. When they calculated the costto the government last year for the snow days, they forgot about all us civil servants who have computers at home who did not take a day off but did our 8 hours... plus. Even though the government was closed and no one would have said anything about not working that day. But hey, aren'twe all a bunch of no-good, over paid lazy bums? No,we do our jobs with honor, distinction, conscienousness, and with a loyalityto country andto the taxpayers who depend on whatwe do. So all you who think government workers are goingto be the next radical right wing, republican tea-party pinata...think again.

Posted by: jacquie1 | December 26, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jacquie1 | December 26, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Federal employees are jerks when the government is closed and jerks when the government is open - we get it. Maybe someday we will be as dedicated as the plumber who canceled two weeks ago when I had no hot water because of an inch of snow, or maybe we'll be as efficient as the Sears worker that took twenty minutes to process a return today, or maybe we'll earn our money like Albert Haynesworth, and just possibly we'll be as hardworking as the companies that flooded the Gulf with oil. Until then - stay perfect private sector.

Posted by: justanotherguy | December 26, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

those "government workers" jokes are so old. where i work(25 years), there is no such thing as a bonus and the gov't employees earn less money than the contractors. but Yes, we all know that all private sector employees (even the boss' son) works really really hard, and no goverment employee does. stop re-writing history you bullies. we never got all those free formal open-bar holiday parties and macy's gift cards like you did.

Posted by: evpoison | December 26, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

OPM obviously hasn't been down to southern St. Mary's County today-- or southern Calvert for that matter. There may not be snow up north, but we got plenty here-- they should at least give the telework option for tomorrow.

Posted by: Aimhigh2000 | December 26, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

20% of federal employees are essential employees; watch standers or in critical positions, federal government never closes. I have worked 48 hours straight as a fed during a snow storm. Not many private sector workers, other than firemen, can say the same. About 10-15% of federal employees come in when it's closed anyway, so your tax dollars are still being spent wisely, mission is being accomplished and services are still being rendered. As long as your home is not being attacked by terrorists during a snow storm, you should be thankful to DHS and DoD.

Posted by: madstamina | December 26, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Itzajob said: Don't all Federal workers think they should have the day off whenever there are a couple flakes? I remember the whining and bellyaching last year when you all finally had to go back to work after, what was it, a week of paid vacation, courtesy of those of us who don't get paid when we don't work, blizzard or not."

For your info Itzajob, I was not a government worker until this summer. Last year during all the snows, Dec-Feb, I was a government contractor earning $21.34 an hour and was on unpaid leave. So I was not complaining then, just as I am not complaining now that the government is open when I don't even have 1/2" of snow at my home.

By the way, I also once wrecked a car on my way to work during an ice storm. If employers, public or government, tell you to be at work, you be at work. So stop your whining.

Posted by: ReindeerDippin | December 26, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

So for the heck of it I just checked the OPM website to see where the Post was getting this info ... and there is no official notice that the government is open, there is nothing to indicate there were even questions. So I most certainly stand by my original post - this "Federal government offices open Monday" is nothing more than the Post attempting (again) to make federal employees look bad.

Posted by: ReindeerDippin | December 26, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

"I remember the whining and bellyaching last year when you all finally had to go back to work after, what was it, a week of paid vacation"

Translation: I saw some people online complaining and thus categorize EVERY federal worker like those complaining

Posted by: Bious | December 26, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

To ALL of you whining Federal Workers...listen up. You will be off the radar once the Federal workforce is trimmed by at least 40% and the remaining workers wages dropped to what their counterparts in the Private sector earn. This should see about a 40-50% reduction in the Federal Payroll.

When this happens, we will leave the worthless Federal Union workers alone.

Posted by: steelers01 | December 27, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

------------------------
Americans interact with the worthless gov't employees everyday at the USPS, DMV, etc. They are the most worthless human being in the country. Trim the Federal Workforce by 40% and lower ALL Federal pay 45-50%.....NOW!!!!!

Posted by: steelers01 | December 27, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

When this happens, we will leave the worthless Federal Union workers alone.

Posted by: steelers01 | December 27, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Note to all of the soldiers overseas, law enforcement agents, food inspectors, state department workers in hostile countries and others - while steelers01 and others think you're worthless, I appreciate the hard work and sacrifices that you and your families make.

Posted by: justanotherguy | December 27, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@ steelers01... becareful what you wish for there clown. You might get your wish, but there will be lots of Americans wishing otherwise if it happens. Thanks to you spreading the Fox, Limbaugh, GOP tripe.

This article is just more anti-govt worker baloney. There isn't ONE govt worker that comes to this worthless website for seasonal information. Ed O'Keefe should be scrutinized on HIS work habits (along with the millions of LAZY and WORTHLESS private sector clowns! Rate those employees in customer service of wapo, verizon, att&t, banks, utilities, general motors, general electric, etc. Have a great day!

Posted by: spankyfrost | December 28, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse