Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 01/26/2011

2 hour early dismissal for federal workers

By Ed O'Keefe

Federal employees in the Washington area may leave work two hours earlier than normal today because of the inclement weather.

Non-emergency workers will be dismissed two hours before they would normally leave, the Office of Personnel Management said. Emergency, or "essential" personnel must report as normal.

Employees who are eligible to telework may leave early and work remotely from home or another location, OPM said.

The government most recently granted a 2-hour delayed arrival on Jan. 18.

Plan your snowy commute home with the help of The Post's Dr. Gridlock and track continuing changes in the weather forecast with The Capital Weather Gang.

Do you agree or disagree with the decision? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

RELATED: Full list of D.C.-area closings

Sign up for federal government closing e-mail alerts

By Ed O'Keefe  | January 26, 2011; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Workplace Issues
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How would you reorganize the federal government?
Next: Where did Obama's salmon joke come from?

Comments

Those government workers shouldn't get off early on the public's dime!!! Blah, blah, blah. Sit down and shut up Teabagger!

Posted by: TheChampisheretoo | January 26, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Two hours is a joke for those of us who end up leaving at 3 or 4. Storm will be in full force by then. Traffic will be horrible and roads will be dangerous.

Posted by: jgoldstein | January 26, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@ jgoldstein--

So take a couple hours of leave and leave at 2!

BTW, we are still waiting for word on an early closing in Baltimore!

Joe H.
Stevensville, MD

Posted by: joeboe1 | January 26, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

It's kinda silly. I'm on site at Census in Suitland MD and there is zero accumulation on the ground or even on the sidewalk. I will have to use leave or LWOP as I'm a contractor not a Fed. Same for Monday and probably Thursday. I would rather use my leave for a real vacation than being cooped up in my apartment!

Posted by: abbyowner1 | January 26, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Waa, waaa, waaaa, I don't get paid to not work, waa waa waaa.

Posted by: getjiggly1 | January 26, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

*******************************************

Duh! Stay at work then!

As a matter of fact, call up John Boner and Michelle Bachman and tell them that you are willing to work for free!

You might make the next Repub presidential ticket!

Posted by: TheChampisheretoo | January 26, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I am an essential employee but only in nonemergency situations. I also telework but only on Tuesdays. Is this considered an emergency? If I go home, should I work remotely even though it's Wednesday? Crap, why can't I just stay here?

Posted by: DDawg1 | January 26, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

The Feds closing today 2 hours early was a JOKE. I was still stuck in traffic, the conditions were still extremely dangerous and my car STILL slid on those roads...for the entire 2.5 hours it took me to get home.

And to think, this could have been avoided if I used my own accrued leave to go home early...if only my manager approved it!! This morning I requested to use leave to get ahead of this mess and was denied! The reason you ask?? "You made a request and I did not approve it". Period. People like this sicken me.

Posted by: venus31 | January 26, 2011 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: venus31 | January 26, 2011 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think the 2 hours early dismissal were enough, since my normal work hours end at 6pm. I ended up having to take 2 hours of annual leave, so I could drive home at 2 pm, which I think was the only responsible thing to do in view of the Post's Capital Weather Gang's predictions. I'm 8 months pregnant, so I can't take risks on my unborn child's life. But it certainly hurts to use leave now, when I'm going to be so short on leave in a month and will end up taking a lot of leave without pay just to fill up the 12 weeks of maternity leave under FMLA.

Same dilemma goes for tomorrow if OPM offers unscheduled leave. Do I take the day off, and avoid the hazardous road conditions, or do I risk it and try driving to work so I can save the leave for when my baby's born?

Of course, if telework options were available to me, which they should be if it wasn't for my office chief's disdain for telework ("If you think I'm going to let our staff stay home and get paid, you are crazy!"), I wouldn't feel so burdened by OPM's choices of operating status, and the federal government's pathetic (understatement) parental leave policies.

Posted by: prupie | January 27, 2011 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Ed O'Keefe... WHY do you have to post these nonsense and anti-govt worker articles. It only motivates the anti-ism to get louder and more inpractocal to the fed service. You sir are stirring a fire and it is wrong! The powers that be for deciding when the feds take off in OPM do it for the sake of the DC safety.. not to get your anti-govt worker base riled up! Go do REAL investigative reporting instead of short anti-govt smear articles!

Posted by: darbyohara | January 27, 2011 7:52 AM | Report abuse