Attorney General Holder to speak at funerals for slain U.S. Marshal, ICE agent
Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. plans to attend and speak at the funerals of a deputy U.S. Marshal and an Immigration and Customs Enforcement special agent killed in the line of duty last week.
Armed gunmen killed ICE Special Agent Jaime Zapata last Tuesday as he drove back to Mexico City from a meeting with fellow agents in the north. Fellow agent Victor Avila was also wounded and transferred to a Houston hospital.
The next day, Deputy U.S. Marshal Derek Hotsinpiller was killed as he tried serving a search warrant in Elkins, W. Va. Fellow deputies Alex Neville and Fred Frederick were also injured.
Hotsinpiller's funeral is scheduled for Monday in Bridgeport, W. Va. Zapata's services are scheduled for Tuesday morning in Brownsville, Texas.
As colleague Jerry Markon reports in Monday's Post, the unrelated killings come as the federal government takes on a bigger role in fighting violent crimes. Federal-state task forces on violent crime have multiplied since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, meaning federal agents are in closer contact with dangerous criminals. The government also continues to pour resources into fighting drug trafficking and other crimes along the border with Mexico and increasingly in Central America.
Across the country, about 160 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty in 2010, a nearly 40 percent jump from the year before, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. Sixty-one officers were killed by gunfire last year, up from 40 in 2008, the group said.
Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.
• Cabinet and Staff News: Over the weekend President Obama coached basketball, Michelle Obama and the girls skiied in Colorado. Several big donors to Hillary Clinton now facing criminal allegations. Karl Rove's new birther conspiracy. Two new books on blacks in the White House. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner criticizes House spending cuts. Rahm Emanuel looking for an outright win in Chicago's mayoral race Tuesday. Despite all the change, Valerie Jarett is still working in the West Wing.
• Increased U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan killing few high-value militants: CIA drone attacks in Pakistan killed at least 581 militants last year, according to independent estimates. The number of those militants noteworthy enough to appear on a U.S. list of most-wanted terrorists: two.
• Defense Department to cut 209 senior executives: Ninety-seven of the affected jobs will be non-intelligence members of the Senior Executive Service. Defense will also cut 21 senior-level or scientific and professional positions and 33 highly qualified experts.
• Marines' amphibious vehicle program could end under House budget plan: The House has approved legislation that could permit termination of the multibillion-dollar project, giving Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates a victory in his attempt to reduce Pentagon spending on costly or unneeded programs.
U.S. GEOLOGICAL SURVEY:
• U.S. urged to safeguard supply of 'energy-critical elements': They are rarer than gold, but they are essential for a broad range of new-energy technologies such as electric cars, wind turbines and solar cells.
• Federal pay amendment to House spending bill fails: There are no amendments curtailing the pay or benefits of federal employees in the House's historic spending proposal.
• Hiding details of dubious deal, U.S. invokes national security: Officials want nothing to do with a California computer programmer and are going to extraordinary lengths to ensure that his dealings with Washington stay secret.
THE PEACE CORPS:
• Kennedy's volunteer children: It's a forgotten player today, riding the far end of the government's bench and seldom getting into a game.
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION:
• Social Security prepares for potential furloughs: The agency said it wants to start talking to the employees' union about a potential furlough.
Posted by: LarryG62 | February 21, 2011 10:09 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: MaryJessel | February 21, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: fregameeate | February 21, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: kstobbe1 | February 21, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Joe_the_fed | February 21, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: catmomtx | February 21, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: NO-bama | February 21, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Desertdiva1 | February 21, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: puck-101 | February 21, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Azarkhan | February 21, 2011 8:04 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: nicholjo1 | February 22, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse