Posted at 1:45 PM ET, 02/10/2011

Ronald Reagan 'Forever Stamp' unveiled

By Ed O'Keefe

Image courtesy of the U.S. Postal Service

The U.S. Postal Service today unveiled a new stamp commemorating Ronald Reagan, just days after what would have been the 40th president's 100th birthday.

The stamp -- affixed with the mail agency's new "Forever" price denomination -- was unveiled during a ceremony at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, Calif. He was previously honored with stamps in 2005 and 2006.

Artist Bart Forbes of Plano, Texas painted the image, which is based on a 1985 photograph of Reagan at his Rancho del Cielo, or "The Western White House," near Santa Barbara, Calif., USPS said.

Customers may purchase the stamps at local post offices or at USPS.com. Special first-day-of-issue postmarks are available until April 11 by visiting the Web site, calling 800-STAMP-24 or by sending envelopes with your address in a larger envelope to the post office in Simi Valley. The address there is:

Ronald Reagan Stamp
Postmaster
2551 N. Galena Ave.
Simi Valley, CA 93065-9998

Envelopes will be returned to the sender with the first-day-of-issue postmark, USPS said.

RELATED: The Washington Post's full coverage of Reagan's 100th birthday

By Ed O'Keefe  | February 10, 2011; 1:45 PM ET
Categories:  Postal Service
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TSA boss says he'd fire security officers who strike
Next: Federal Budget 2012: What to watch for

Comments

Great stamp! It recognizes former President Reagan's optimistic and hopeful perspective. In one of his many great speeches, Ronald Reagan said: "America is too great for small dreams."

Posted by: rbmarkham | February 10, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

But no Obama stamp?

USPS is racist.

Posted by: getjiggly1 | February 10, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigisle1 | February 10, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

The stamp should at least have the slogan, "The damage I did to the American middle class will last ...FOREVER."

Posted by: bigisle1 | February 10, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

It's nice, but a little cartoony, I'm afraid. Still, I will go buy some. I hope for better for the Nixon centennial a year from January.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | February 10, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Getjiggly, USPS policy is that no stamp may be issued in honor of a living person. Yes, living persons have appeared on stamps by being used as models (the American Red Cross stamp in the early 80s is an example, we know who the nurse was) or in photographs, but the stamps are not being issued to honor them.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | February 10, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't consider that to be an appealing stamp. I am tired of seeing the Liberty Bell, but I was hoping for something more attractive. If we had to put a president's face on a Forever stamp, I would have chosen Washington or Lincoln.

Posted by: forgetthis | February 10, 2011 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Excellent opportunity for drawing mustaches on pictures of Reagan.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 10, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Dude, if you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't buy the Eid or Kwanzaa stamp! There are plenty of stamps issued with Washington and Lincoln on them.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | February 10, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Nemo24601, if the USPS policy is against Obama, than the USPS policy is racist. This isnt' rocket science.

Posted by: getjiggly1 | February 10, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Awful..It looks like it was rendered by a 6 year old with a paint-by-number set.

Posted by: anomaly72 | February 10, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I am happy to note that we can still purchase Forever stamps that do not have Ray-ray's face on it. The flag, the Liberty Bell, and Lady Liberty are still options on the USPS website, as are quite a few others.

And I'm pretty sure "Forever" is not a new denomination; I've got some Liberty Bell stamps from a few years ago that are Forever stamps.

Posted by: dkp01 | February 10, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

OK, who is going to tell the conservatives that they still can't lick them, even with Ronnie's cartoon on them?

Posted by: OldUncleTom | February 10, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

sasquatchbigfoot wrote:

Excellent opportunity for drawing mustaches on pictures of Reagan.

****

Haha, nice one! I can't wait to do the same thing to the Obama stamp, but that would probably be considered a hate crime.

Posted by: dumbfatsow | February 10, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

It is neat of the USPS to honor Reagan in such a way. You can see my own illustrated portrait of Reagan on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/02/happy-100th-gipper.html Let me know what you think of the art and ridding the world of commie scum while you’re there!

Posted by: dregstudios | February 10, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

So now he's like styrofoam...

Posted by: whocares666 | February 10, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

The 112th Congress needs to draft and pass an impeachment resolution on Raygun before this weekend. We will then be better off as a nation.

Posted by: Maddogg | February 10, 2011 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Stick it. I don't want it. He's not a President worth celebrating, and I cannot comprehend why this country insists on naming stih after him and making commemorative stamps for him too. Nonsense.

Posted by: trambusto | February 10, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

It was bad enough that he was president for so long. No we have him on a stamp "forever"? Perhaps they should put his mug on some soon to be worthless US government bonds. After all, it was his administration that set in motion the "deficits don't matter" con.

Posted by: John991 | February 10, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse

It is a fantastic stamp. I approve.

Posted by: gibiphone | February 11, 2011 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Won't buy the stamp! To me it is just a reminder of how he buried this country in debt and supplied arms to commies in S America. He was not as good a Prez as the right wing propaganda want us to think he was.

Posted by: westcan | February 11, 2011 6:36 AM | Report abuse

The stamp should show Reagan grovelling on his knees before the Ayatollah Khomeini, handing him a weapon.

Posted by: Garak | February 11, 2011 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Let's rejoice that email has already been invented. Just more Rethug propaganda.

It'll give Rethugs at CPAC another way to lick Reagan.

Toliet paper would be more appropriate.

Posted by: wesatch | February 11, 2011 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe that patriotic Americans still like this guy.

Posted by: bproulx451 | February 11, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

A more fitting image to honor the legacy of Ronald Reagan would be a picture of an abandoned steel mill since he and his buddies on wall street shipped all of our good paying middle class manufacturing jobs with benefits overseas to slave wages earners in third world countries so the wall street crowd can reap huge bonuses and live high on the hog while the rest of us are force to get along using 'trickle down' scraps.

Posted by: dlpetersdc | February 11, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

dlpetersdc, that's true. Springsteen's My Hometown is a much more fitting "tribute" to this jackhole than any stamp could be.

Posted by: dkp01 | February 11, 2011 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Idiots can't get enough of that idiot.

Posted by: LifeBeforePrinciple | February 11, 2011 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree with "trambusto's" comment times ten, it don't make no frackenackle sense!!

STICK IT. I DON"T WANT IT. HE'S NOT A PRESIDENT WORTH CELEBRATING, AND I CANNOT COMPREHEND WHY THIS COUNTRY INSISTS ON NAMING STIH AFTER HIM AND MAKING COMMERATIVE STAMPS FOR HIM TOO. NONSENSE.

Posted by: dihcroepac | February 11, 2011 9:04 PM | Report abuse

This is unreal!! America has always had blind devotion to the dead no matter the impact these people had on this country. I lived through the Reagan era. He was governor of CA with an unprecedented unemployment percent. After that fiasco he was voted into the Oval office to play with the other 49 states and demote their status to the same. I simply don't understand his impact he was an actor and not a very good one. Have you seen any of his movies yuk? He coat-tailed in the office after ex -president Jimmy Carters' year long negotiating of the hostages. He devastated California and these I am certain brain washed people decided to see if he could do the same for the country, unbelievable!
Yet, he has been denoted as a positive having Alzheimer's his second term which was hidden. Nevertheless , Bush and Bush Jr. Republicans for the rich, dragged this country into the depression one even stealing his second term with a little help from family. Where is the justice? President Obama is only trying to clean up their mess you put up with 16 years of incompetence give and educated, open Godly man a BREAK!! I wouldn't buy a Reagan stamp if they were free! COUNTLESS OF US WANT A PRESIDENT OBAMA STAMP DO YOU GET IT?

Posted by: fayemack2 | February 12, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse